Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Opinions on Specialized Rockhopper?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-20, 06:39 PM
Jkesrnicla

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

So I’m looking for a bike for fishing my local trout streams max distance of about 35mi and I really like the the looks and price of a specialized rockhopper anyone have anything to say about them ? I want something that’s going to last a long time for some what of a budget I don’t plan of beating the thing up and am Very meticulous about maintenance of my gear. It will be primarily rode on road and gravel but the occasional dirt trail may be in order, any and all opinions on a rock hopper would be greatly appreciated, thanks....
Old 04-07-20, 07:38 PM
Flip Flop Rider

Bikes: 2010 Fuji Absolute 3.0 1994 Trek 850

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 762 Post(s)
Liked 555 Times in 322 Posts
if it's older and steel, I'd say great choice. Make sure you get the right size. How tall are you?
Old 04-07-20, 09:26 PM
VegasTriker

Bikes: Catrike 700, Greenspeed GTO trike, , Linear LWB recumbent, Haluzak Horizon SWB recumbent, Balance 450 MTB, Cannondale SM800 Beast of the East

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 523 Post(s)
Liked 230 Times in 182 Posts
You don't mention what model you are considering. The Specialized site has 6 Rockhopper models priced from $400 to $975.

I bought one a very long time ago. It was the 1993 model and I bought it second-hand for around $150, a bike that had an MSRP of $600. It had better components than the base model sold today. I rode it occasionally on MTB trails in Utah and around town here. Eventually I replaced it with a suspended hard-tail MTB that I still own. It certainly was worth what I paid for it. Never had any trouble more than ordinary maintenance.
Old 04-07-20, 11:50 PM
woodcraft

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1814 Post(s)
Liked 923 Times in 569 Posts
I hated the straight bars, otherwise fine.
Old 04-08-20, 06:22 AM
Jkesrnicla

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by VegasTriker
You don't mention what model you are considering. The Specialized site has 6 Rockhopper models priced from $400 to $975.

I bought one a very long time ago. It was the 1993 model and I bought it second-hand for around $150, a bike that had an MSRP of $600. It had better components than the base model sold today. I rode it occasionally on MTB trails in Utah and around town here. Eventually I replaced it with a suspended hard-tail MTB that I still own. It certainly was worth what I paid for it. Never had any trouble more than ordinary maintenance.
i was looking at the base model and the comp 1x, would you think it would be worth it in the long run to go with the expert or other higher end model ? I’m a fan of the buy once cry once motto but I also don't want to go broke either
Old 04-08-20, 06:37 AM
Jkesrnicla

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Flip Flop Rider
if it's older and steel, I'd say great choice. Make sure you get the right size. How tall are you?
I'm 5,11
Old 04-08-20, 06:46 AM
Jkesrnicla

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Jkesrnicla
i was looking at the base model and the comp 1x, would you think it would be worth it in the long run to go with the expert or other higher end model ? I’m a fan of the buy once cry once motto but I also don't want to go broke either
im also not against replacing parts in the future cables leavers ect...
Old 04-08-20, 07:50 AM
VegasTriker

Bikes: Catrike 700, Greenspeed GTO trike, , Linear LWB recumbent, Haluzak Horizon SWB recumbent, Balance 450 MTB, Cannondale SM800 Beast of the East

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 523 Post(s)
Liked 230 Times in 182 Posts
Look up some reviews by actual owners

The current Rockhopper models are a far different beast than the one I rode a long time ago. I would suggest you rely on someone who actually owns one today. Look up the reviews on each model avoiding reviews on the manufacturer's website. I would put more stock in the ones that are posted on other sites like this one for the Comp 1X on mtb.com https://forums.mtbr.com/29er-bikes/l...s-1113415.html. You can compare the components on the various models here: https://www.specialized.com/us/en/shop/bikes/c/bikes?q=%3Aprice-desc%3Aarchived%3Afalse%3AproductFamily%3ARockhopper&gclid=CjwKCAjw7LX0BRBiEiwA__gNwyqFGJjaALe6Q2yhv 9QjXXxYHx8diGh5RbTz3lL0gpPmgge3tUQQ5BoCF3MQAvD_BwE&text#/result-list/sort:ss_price:desc/filterroductfamily:Rockhopper The least expensive model is going to be better than a mass merchandiser bike but expect it to have the lowest end components for each component brand.

My older MTBs have caliper brakes rather than the disc brakes on the current models. The cheaper Rockhoppers have off brand Radius disc brakes. The Comp 1X has Shimano hydraulic disc brakes. I know that good brand disc brakes like Avid or Shimano work well. It looks like the Radius brakes have mixed reviews https://www.bikeforums.net/cyclocros...us-brakes.html. My only experience for hydraulic brakes is a high-end Hope brake set that cost as much as one of the higher end Rockhoppers bikes. I loved the hydraulic disc brakes but they require a bit more care than mechanical disc brakes.

The other thing that I don't like on the Rockhopper models are the Suntour XCM fork. It's used on cheap bikes and does not have a very good reputation. Cheap shocks don't work very well. They add weight without really increasing comfort all that much and take away from spending more on the other components on the bike. You might as well have a bike with no front shocks as have cheap ones. Here's a general review of the fork https://forums.mtbr.com/motobecane/s...ks-712909.html. I know that in the past they have been subjected to a CPSC recall for older models. Trek and Scott had to recall 125,000 bikes in 2014 for defects with the Suntour forks.
Old 04-08-20, 07:55 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6219 Post(s)
Liked 4,220 Times in 2,367 Posts
I'm 5,11
You probably want a large.

Considering that the price of the Expert is the same as the 1x, you should go with the expert. The biggest wart that the 1x has is the low gearing. It’s not as low as the expert and it has a ridiculously low high gear. If you are going to ride long distances on the bike, you want the ability to take advantage of downhills. With the 1x you are going to spin out at around 20 to 25 mph. The 2x on the Expert will at least let you spin up to around 30 to 35 mph. Noodling along for 30 miles in a low gear get frustrating. Here’s a comparison of the gearing. You should also notice that the 2x has a lower low gear which comes in handy for off-road riding.

The Expert has an air fork which is better but neither says that it has a lockout. They might but it would be a good idea to ask the dealer for sure. A lockout is helpful for those long pavement sections.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 04-08-20, 08:13 AM
KENOX88

Bikes: Bergamont Revox 9.0

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Basic Hardtail bike. would do you good if you just started riding
Old 04-08-20, 01:55 PM
Jkesrnicla

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by KENOX88
Basic Hardtail bike. would do you good if you just started riding
I’ve road bmx for close to 7 years but I’m just looking for something to cruise around on, go on some short trips
Old 04-08-20, 04:31 PM
alcjphil

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1820 Post(s)
Liked 1,696 Times in 976 Posts
I am going to be a contrarian here, but it sounds somewhat as if what you need is a gravel bike which can easily handle all but the most difficult off road trails yet works at its best on unpaved roads and still is not out of its element on pavement. This all depends on the sort of off road trails you plan to ride
Old 04-08-20, 06:36 PM
Jkesrnicla

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by alcjphil
I am going to be a contrarian here, but it sounds somewhat as if what you need is a gravel bike which can easily handle all but the most difficult off road trails yet works at its best on unpaved roads and still is not out of its element on pavement. This all depends on the sort of off road trails you plan to ride
well if I plan on hitting jumps I’ll always bring my bmx bike, just my preference, so basically what I’m looking for is a road bike that’s got an aggressive touch with the ability to be taken on gravel paths and semi flat dirt trails in the woods, nothin more serious than curb hopping and stump jumping with this bike... I also realy like the looks of the specialized crosstrail too
Old 04-09-20, 12:22 PM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
I had two Rockhoppers, the first one was stolen. They were good bikes for the price. The second one was my last DF bike before I went completely bent. Both a bent bike and a bent trike.