Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Jerseys that run a little long?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-20, 03:16 PM
Tycho Brahe 

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 242 Post(s)
Liked 94 Times in 67 Posts

I love how tight fitting jerseys look and feel, but I feel a bit self-conscious about how short they are. Wearing bibs makes it less noticeable.

Over the years, I have been spending more on my cycling than before. Willing to spend a bit more on a new jersey, but I cannot try anything on. You can use the online measurements, but the size needed for my chest is way different from my height.

I am 6'1" (true height, I am always way taller than guys that say they are 6') and weigh around 162-165 pounds (skinny people do not own scales, but it should be around there). Not much of a chest and I think I am slightly torso long. 33" inseam. If I am, only slightly. I wear mediums jerseys. Large is too floppy.

Any quality brands that make tight fitting jerseys with a bit of length? Perhaps race fit in a large? Looking to up my budget to max $100. I like geometric patterns like the jerseys at twinsix.com, hate the gaudy "beer company" jerseys, which are never tight fitting anyways.

Last edited by Tycho Brahe; 08-24-20 at 03:27 PM.
Old 08-24-20, 05:15 PM
dorkypants

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 13 Posts
Try Italian brands. I'm 5'6" (shorter than when I was younger) and usually wear size M (38" chest), with the length being about right. I always found Italian jerseys (specifically Sportful) in M about right in snugness, but too long. I think they're all what we call "race fit". I don't recall seeing looser "club fit" jerseys in Italy.
Old 08-24-20, 05:37 PM
Tycho Brahe 

Huh? I am 7 inches taller and wear the same size jersey. How can the length be right for us both? I think I now understand your point. I have an Italian jersey that is very loose. Granted, it is a L.

Last edited by Tycho Brahe; 08-24-20 at 09:02 PM.
Old 08-24-20, 05:53 PM
BoraxKid

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 325 Post(s)
Liked 109 Times in 72 Posts
Originally Posted by Tycho Brahe
I love how tight fitting jerseys look and feel, but I feel a bit self-conscious about how short they are. Wearing bibs makes it less noticeable.

Over the years, I have been spending more on my cycling than before. Willing to spend a bit more on a new jersey, but I cannot try anything on. You can use the online measurements, but the size needed for my chest is way different from my height.

I am 6'1" (true height, I am always way taller than guys that say they are 6') and weigh around 162-165 pounds (skinny people do not own scales, but it should be around there). Not much of a chest and I think I am slightly torso long. 33" inseam. If I am, only slightly. I wear mediums jerseys. Large is too floppy.

Any quality brands that make tight fitting jerseys with a bit of length? Perhaps race fit in a large? Looking to up my budget to max $100. I like geometric patterns like the jerseys at twinsix.com, hate the gaudy "beer company" jerseys, which are never tight fitting anyways.
You sound like the perfect candidate for a Rapha jersey, but you'll need to double your budget for that. Castelli probably also has some great race-fit options, but again, your budget is not on their level. The truth is you'll probably need to increase your budget by at least 30% to find what you're looking for. Maybe check out this site for discount pro-level stuff: https://www.theproscloset.com/
Old 08-24-20, 08:34 PM
Tycho Brahe 

Originally Posted by BoraxKid
You sound like the perfect candidate for a Rapha jersey, but you'll need to double your budget for that. Castelli probably also has some great race-fit options, but again, your budget is not on their level. The truth is you'll probably need to increase your budget by at least 30% to find what you're looking for. Maybe check out this site for discount pro-level stuff: https://www.theproscloset.com/
Oops, I quite did not get my train of thought down properly. I missed some important points. What I meant to say is that I would pay up to $100 without trying it on, but I actually would pay more if I really knew the fit is right. As in, try it on, or find someone with my body dimensions. I feel uncomfortable spending even more and potentially getting the wrong size. I do not return things.

I do have a very nice fitting Castelli jersey. Wish it were longer, especially since I want more pocket space. Cannot fit a jacket in my Castelli pockets, but perhaps that is more because it is a race fit, and not club fit.

EDIT: interested in Rapha. Just roughly measured myself

chest: 36 (Rapha S)
waist: 33 (Rapha M/L) Dad bod creeping in
hips: 37 (Rapha S/M)

No mention of length! Maybe I should stop being self-conscious?

Last edited by Tycho Brahe; 08-24-20 at 08:57 PM.
Old 08-24-20, 09:13 PM
downtube42

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Gen 3, Soma Fog Cutter, Focus Mares AL, Detroit Bikes Sparrow FG, Volae Team, Nimbus MUni

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 896 Post(s)
Liked 2,065 Times in 1,081 Posts
Rather than rely on some brand accidentally having longer than average jerseys, here's a company that makes a specific product:

https://www.aerotechdesigns.com/tall...ng-jersey.html

I'm 6'3 in the morning, with a long torso. You're right, bibs help, but bibs have the same problem: long torso cyclists have to source tall bibs. They have bibs.

Of all the event jerseys I have, the one from the National 24 Hour Challenge years ago is the only one long enough to truly fit without having three pounds of crap in the pockets. Unfortunately I've worn it so much the tag is devoid of any markings.
Old 08-24-20, 09:38 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4806 Post(s)
Liked 3,932 Times in 2,557 Posts
I have a Hincapie Jersey from 9 years ago that is race fit and longish. I have a short torso (used to be 6' 1/2", 34" pants inseam, 6' 2" reach until my shoulders narrowed from broken collarbones. 155 pounds, 145 in my racing days. The Hincapie small fits me snugly, is longer than I need and has good pockets. Very good hot weather jersey. It is an advertisement for a bike I do not ride so I rarely wear it but get reminded every time I do it is a very high quality (and full on racing) jersey. (I drove 3 hours to a ride and discovered I forgot jersey and shoes. Luckily, it started in Sisters, OR and there was one good bike shop. I would never have purchased anything remotely associated with Postal/Discovery except that was the only good jersey they had that fit.)
Old 08-25-20, 08:25 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20810 Post(s)
Liked 9,456 Times in 4,672 Posts
Originally Posted by Tycho Brahe
Oops, I quite did not get my train of thought down properly. I missed some important points. What I meant to say is that I would pay up to $100 without trying it on, but I actually would pay more if I really knew the fit is right. As in, try it on, or find someone with my body dimensions. I feel uncomfortable spending even more and potentially getting the wrong size. I do not return things.

I do have a very nice fitting Castelli jersey. Wish it were longer, especially since I want more pocket space. Cannot fit a jacket in my Castelli pockets, but perhaps that is more because it is a race fit, and not club fit.

EDIT: interested in Rapha. Just roughly measured myself

chest: 36 (Rapha S)
waist: 33 (Rapha M/L) Dad bod creeping in
hips: 37 (Rapha S/M)

No mention of length! Maybe I should stop being self-conscious?
No, there's no mention of length, but take a look at some of the models for their various fits. The guy modeling their "Classic Fit" is 6' tall and wearing a Small. The guy modeling their Pro Fit is 6' 3" and wearing a Medium. Eyeball their proportions vs yours and you might get a good idea.

For myself, I've got a couple Core jerseys in L, but I'm creeping in to M territory - L gives me enough length that I'm not concerned with moving to an M, even though I have a long-ish torso for someone that's 5' 11".
Old 08-26-20, 02:13 PM
Tycho Brahe 

Originally Posted by downtube42
Rather than rely on some brand accidentally having longer than average jerseys, here's a company that makes a specific product:

https://www.aerotechdesigns.com/tall...ng-jersey.html
I know of that site, but their jerseys look so baggy. I am not that tall at 6'1", I just want something form fitting and a bit long. I will keep them in mind, perhaps they are not as loose as they seem.

Originally Posted by WhyFi
No, there's no mention of length, but take a look at some of the models for their various fits. The guy modeling their "Classic Fit" is 6' tall and wearing a Small. The guy modeling their Pro Fit is 6' 3" and wearing a Medium. Eyeball their proportions vs yours and you might get a good idea.

For myself, I've got a couple Core jerseys in L, but I'm creeping in to M territory - L gives me enough length that I'm not concerned with moving to an M, even though I have a long-ish torso for someone that's 5' 11".
I did see the guy model the Classic Fit, but not the Pro Fit. I ordered a medium Classic fit jersey before I saw your reply. I think I would like a Pro Fit medium, but the classic was cheaper, so let's start with that. Went with the merino blend, since I would like a shirt for big temperate changes.
Old 08-26-20, 03:40 PM
John HP

Bikes: 1998 Marinoni Leggero, 1988 Tommasini Super Prestige, 2018 Holdsworth Competition, 1996-ish Redline Cross Bike

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts
I recently got some Danny Shane jerseys that are a shade too long for me and I have a long torso.
Old 08-26-20, 04:44 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Kucharik sews theirs in LA, and can make something just for you..
Old 08-27-20, 05:17 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4560 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
Garneau's Lemmon II jersey runs a bit long on me (I'm 5'11", 33" inseam, 150 lbs, the medium fits fine) so I can wear it with shorts rather than bibs, no problem. It's the most comfortable summer weight jersey fabric I've tried too -- feels like fine cotton or merino wool, but it's all poly fabric. Just unusually soft and thin.

Looks like Garneau may be phasing out that style. I might ask them what else they have in the same fabric and cut.

Last edited by canklecat; 08-27-20 at 05:32 AM.