Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

bb7 road vs mountain questions

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-21, 09:35 PM
trail_monkey

Bikes: Soma B Side, Soma Wolverine, Salsa Fargo

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 335 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 15 Posts

Besides the difference in pull ratio, all things else is equal, do road BB7s have the same braking ability as the mountain version? Wondering about swapping from mountain to roads on my Fargo.

Last edited by trail_monkey; 11-06-21 at 11:44 PM.
Old 11-07-21, 06:01 AM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2762 Post(s)
Liked 2,537 Times in 1,433 Posts
Originally Posted by trail_monkey
Besides the difference in pull ratio, all things else is equal, do road BB7s have the same braking ability as the mountain version? Wondering about swapping from mountain to roads on my Fargo.
In my experience, the Road version is not as solid feeling. My guess is it is due to the higher cable tension needed due to the shorter pull. FWIW, I use Jagwire compressionless housing on both.

One way to look at it is how they compare to hydros. I’ve used Mountain BB7s in many bikes for 20 years now and been very happy with them. While not as nice as hydros (which I’ve also run a few) I don’t find the difference as big as many people claim. With Road BB7s, the difference is pretty big, IMO.

My BB7s have worked well enough on my gravel bike that I am not going to replace them, but if I could do it over, I might have spent the extra money and gotten the TRP Spyres.

EDIT: I am comparing Road levers and calipers with MTB levers and calipers. While I can make assumptions about how mixing and matching the two would work, I have no direct experience with it.

Last edited by Kapusta; 11-07-21 at 07:22 AM.
Old 11-07-21, 06:43 AM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
I have both the road and mtb version of BB7s...They are both set up with Tektro RL 520 drop bar brake levers ..The pull difference is noticeable but the stopping power is the same...The mtb version needs a little more pull to stop...the road version needs less pull to stop.
Old 11-07-21, 07:45 AM
trail_monkey

Not sure what setup I want to do on my gravel bike but it currently has the road versions. My Fargo 29+ has the mountain versions. Very happy with both but was thinking about swapping so I could run Gevenalle levers on my gravel bike which are long pull. I have short pull levers I would put on the Fargo if I did this.. But I'm not sure if I'm gonna do it.. I was just curious.
Old 11-07-21, 04:25 PM
trail_monkey

Well I went ahead and switched everything around this afternoon just for an experiment and I will report that they work excellent. I put the road BB7s and Shimano short pull levers on my Salsa Fargo in place of the mountain BB7s and the SRAM speed dial levers. Braking is still good and powerful and I don't notice any decrease in braking performance. I am happy as I was able to get my Gevenalle levers put on my gravel bike with the mountain BB7s. I like it when things work out.
Likes For trail_monkey: