Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

what to do after a collision

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-10, 05:33 PM
Wizel603

Bikes: 85 univega supra sport

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

this happened just earlier today. a car making a turn onto a side road did not see the bike traveling in the opposite direction in the oncoming lane. the rider is all right, although with a banged up face from bouncing it off the windshield.

I wasn't the rider at the time but I do maintain this bike, and I'm wondering what's to be done now in regards to salvaging things. This is the first bike I've had to deal with that was in a serious accident.

it's a 1985 Univega Supra Sport. I've looked it over and the damage seems to be limited to the front wheel and fork. the wheel I could rebuild myself. the fork however appears to be a total loss, and is not something I have any real repair experience with. I'm suspecting that it could be cheaper to replace the bike than it might be to track down another fork that would fit it, but I could be wrong. I'll listen to any and all advice someone might have on this at this point.

Old 03-18-10, 06:07 PM
labrat

Bikes: Bianchi Road bike, Nashbar Ultegra triple cyclocross, Raleigh full XT hybrid, lugged steel Schwinn, Full rigid Diamondback MTB

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Glad to hear the rider was, for the most part, ok.

Check the top tube where it joins the head tube. Looks like that was quite the impact and many times the top tube will buckel in which case the frame is offcially toast. If the frame is OK, I would vote for a new hoop, spokes and fork. Those lugged steel frames are just too nice to lose if you don't have to. You may need to rewrap the bars as well.
Old 03-18-10, 06:44 PM
Steev

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Also carefully inspect the downtube near the headtube junction. Any buckling or crimping there will also render the frame dead.
Old 03-18-10, 07:01 PM
Wizel603

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by labrat
Check the top tube where it joins the head tube. Looks like that was quite the impact and many times the top tube will buckel in which case the frame is offcially toast. If the frame is OK, I would vote for a new hoop, spokes and fork. Those lugged steel frames are just too nice to lose if you don't have to.
I'm glad you had me look there. to my eye the tube doesn't look buckled, but the stress cracks in the paint at that location tell me that it was under a great deal of force there. I'm no expert in metals, but would a steel frame such as this be expected to have kept its strength after this or should I be worried about hairline fractures in the metal underneath the paint that I can't see?

Old 03-18-10, 07:21 PM
Wizel603

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Steev
Also carefully inspect the downtube near the headtube junction. Any buckling or crimping there will also render the frame dead.
I found more stress cracks in the paint down there, on both sides of the lug.

the drive-side of the head tube to down tube lug

the non-drive-side of the head tube to down tube lug
Old 03-18-10, 07:32 PM
labrat

Bikes: Bianchi Road bike, Nashbar Ultegra triple cyclocross, Raleigh full XT hybrid, lugged steel Schwinn, Full rigid Diamondback MTB

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Based on your last couple pics I'm going to change my vote to "strip for parts." (Don't want to add insult to injury but also don't want anyone riding a frame that has a dramatic failure.) Sorry that the bike is lost.
Old 03-18-10, 07:49 PM
ScrubJ

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sad to see such a beautiful classic frame like this taken out of service but, given what I can tell from your pictures, donor time. It is possible that the paint is old and less flexible and just separated form the metal due to flexing of the frame during the impact. Real hard call, steel is fairly flexible so....
Old 03-18-10, 07:54 PM
MNRon
29er Rider

Bikes: Gary Fisher ARC Pro, Cannondale Caffein 29er Lefty hardtail, building a Kona Major One, Custom steel frame from early 80's with Campy Nuovo Record

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I wouldn't put that frame back on the road, at least not under someone else. Let me rephrase... ESPECIALLY under someone else.
Old 03-19-10, 07:07 AM
DaveSSS 

Bikes: Cinelli superstar disc, two Yoeleo R12

Quoted: 1098 Post(s)
Liked 559 Times in 446 Posts
Junk the bike. Ask the car insurance company for at least enough to pay for some model of brand new bike of similar quality. The rider should collect thousands for pain and suffering from the car insurance company. He can combine that with bike compensation and buy whatever he wants.

I've been through this twice. Even if the rider has no medical expenses and just some soreness, $1000 is a minimal pain and suffering payment. If medical expenses are incurred, then the insurance company should pay those and the pain and suffering should be about twice the medical expenses. Anything less and you're being cheated.
Old 03-19-10, 08:40 AM
cycle_maven
Collector of Useless Info

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I agree- the DT and HT have been bent and are compromised. I wouldn't let a friend ride it even after a new fork- they have obviously been through enough trauma. It's time to strip the parts and wave good-bye.
Old 03-19-10, 09:05 AM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5793 Post(s)
Liked 2,586 Times in 1,434 Posts
Don't touch the bike until the insurance adjuster for the driver has acknowledged responsibility and asked you to get an estimate. In the event of a dispute you'll want the bike in "as crashed" condition for evidence. Repairing it isn't an option, as the cost of repair exceeds the replacement value. The insurance company will pay for a replacement of comparable quality.

BTW- don't be in a rush to settle, allow time for any hidden injury to surface and be assessed. The value of the injury settlement is probably more significant than the cost of the bike. The object isn't to capitalize on this, but at the same time you shouldn't come out a loser either.

Also if you have trouble dealing with the other drivers insurance company for any reason relating to injury, call you own insurance company if you own a car. A little known clause in most auto policies (varies by state) extend the Personal Injury Protection (PIP) to the owner for all motor vehicle accidents, regardless of whether he was driving or not. This means that you can speak to your own insurance company who'll settle the medical claim, and then collect from the other company. It's often a useful tool since your own company may be more forthcoming, especially because they know they're spending the other companies money.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Old 03-19-10, 10:30 AM
blamp28
Bikaholic

Bikes: Trek Fuel 90, Giant OCR, Rans Screamer Tandem

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by FBinNY
Don't touch the bike until the insurance adjuster for the driver has acknowledged responsibility and asked you to get an estimate. In the event of a dispute you'll want the bike in "as crashed" condition for evidence. Repairing it isn't an option, as the cost of repair exceeds the replacement value. The insurance company will pay for a replacement of comparable quality.

BTW- don't be in a rush to settle, allow time for any hidden injury to surface and be assessed. The value of the injury settlement is probably more significant than the cost of the bike. The object isn't to capitalize on this, but at the same time you shouldn't come out a loser either.

Also if you have trouble dealing with the other drivers insurance company for any reason relating to injury, call you own insurance company if you own a car. A little known clause in most auto policies (varies by state) extend the Personal Injury Protection (PIP) to the owner for all motor vehicle accidents, regardless of whether he was driving or not. This means that you can speak to your own insurance company who'll settle the medical claim, and then collect from the other company. It's often a useful tool since your own company may be more forthcoming, especially because they know they're spending the other companies money.
ding ding ding ding.... we have a winner! That is very helpful information. Thanks for posting it for all of us. Sorry to read about this accident and glad to hear that the rider is not more seriously hurt. I agree with others here and would not repair that bike under any circumstances. What you have there is a collection of spare parts (after any negotiated settlement of course).
Old 03-19-10, 10:41 AM
DaveSSS 

Bikes: Cinelli superstar disc, two Yoeleo R12

Quoted: 1098 Post(s)
Liked 559 Times in 446 Posts
Most insurance companies will want you to give them the trashed bike. I can't imagine why, when the scrap is mostly worthless.

In contrast to this situation I had a nearly new LOOK 585 that was involved in my crash. I knew the frame wasn't hurt, but convinced the insurance company that it was too risky to ride, so they paid me $5,000 for my frame, shifters, wheel rebuild, bars, stem, saddle, helmet and shoes. They wanted the scrap, but I held on to it until I got my pain and suffering settlement. Since I had no medical bills, just a sore back for about 3 weeks, they only offered me $1,000. I told them that was not enough and I'd talk it over with my attorney. Two weeks later, they offered to let me keep the scrap if I took the $1,000. I took that deal and spent $800 fixing the bike.