Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Near Flawless 73' or '74 Motobecane Le Champion... thoughts?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-12, 01:35 PM
sam_

Bikes: '73 Motobecane Le Champion

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I found this at a thrift store, and snatched it up. It's in nearly flawless condition, so I'm kind of nervous about even riding it. There are only a few tiny chips on the right side of top tube (probably from a tip over), everything else looks brand new, although the paint shows age upon close inspection.

Here's what's on it: Stronglight cranks, Lyotard pedals with made in France "Schwinn Approved" toe clips, Cinelli stem and handlebars, Suntour derailers and shifters, Brookes saddle, Weinmann brake set, Bluemel's mudguards, Soubitez generator, and a US made rack.

It fits me great, and I intend to clean it up and ride it like crazy. I'm looking for any thoughts and information on this old beauty. It has a 74 - 76 bike permit on it from Loveland, CO. I've found a couple photos of restores of bikes similar to this online, but not much else.

Any thoughts on this bike are very much appreciated! Thanks.

Edit: Would this likely have any monetary value? (I see that I am now in the wrong category with that question, but I figured I'd ask!)

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_9151.jpg (99.7 KB, 175 views)
IMG_9152.jpg (88.3 KB, 132 views)
IMG_9154.jpg (98.7 KB, 132 views)
IMG_9157.jpg (101.2 KB, 124 views)
IMG_9158.jpg (92.9 KB, 125 views)
IMG_9159.jpg (95.4 KB, 118 views)
IMG_9160.jpg (99.4 KB, 129 views)
IMG_9162.jpg (96.3 KB, 122 views)
IMG_9163.jpg (93.6 KB, 124 views)
IMG_9164.jpg (100.6 KB, 152 views)

Last edited by sam_; 11-20-12 at 03:25 PM.
Old 11-20-12, 02:18 PM
mparker326

Bikes: Schwinn Paramount P15, Fisher Montare, Proteus, Rivendell Quickbeam

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Wow! Nice find. The Le Champion was usually set up as a race bike. The prior owner obviously set it up as a sport tourer.

I like your plan. Welcome aboard the forums!
Old 11-20-12, 02:25 PM
Ex Pres 
Cat 6

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 500 Post(s)
Liked 183 Times in 118 Posts
Great find. My thrifts' bikes aren't nearly so upscale.

If it was mine, I'd ditch the rear rack, or replace it with one that attaches at the brake mounting bolt. I just don't like that mounting bracket. YMMV.

Enjoy riding it.
Old 11-20-12, 03:00 PM
folkform

Bikes: 83 Trek 500, 87 Gitane Performace, 90? Marinoni

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If I wasn't going touring on it, I'd take off the fenders, rack, kick stand, and bottle cage. Especially the bottle cage. Gotta let everyone see the "Made in France" decal!

If you do want to tour or commute, I'd leave the fenders and, like Ex Pres says, get a new rear rack and add panniers. It is a beaut!
Old 11-20-12, 03:04 PM
Velognome 
Get off my lawn!

Bikes: 1917 Loomis, 1923 Rudge, 1930 Hercules Renown, 1947 Mclean, 1948 JA Holland, 1955 Hetchins, 1957 Carlton Flyer, 1962 Raleigh Sport, 1978&81 Raleigh Gomp GS', 2010 Raliegh Clubman

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked 98 Times in 48 Posts
Sweet!

I intend to clean it up and ride it like crazy.
I think you already know what to do with it.
Old 11-20-12, 03:30 PM
sam_

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks! I've been landing on and following threads for years, but never felt the need to jump on the wagon till now. Nice to be here!
Old 11-20-12, 03:34 PM
auchencrow

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 43 Times in 33 Posts
If I didn't already have one, and it wasn't so far away, and it wasn't too small for me, I'd be insanely jealous. Heck - I'm still jealous!

Congtrats on an incredible find!
Old 11-20-12, 03:41 PM
AZORCH

Bikes: 1966 Paramount | 1971 Raleigh International | ca. 1970 Bernard Carre | 1989 Waterford Paramount | 2012 Boulder Brevet | 2019 Specialized Diverge

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked 77 Times in 40 Posts
I'm not crazy about the rack but those fenders look pretty classy on that bike.
Old 11-20-12, 03:53 PM
flash2070

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 3 Posts
Wow, what a score! That bike is beautiful! I love that Brooks it's in spectacular condition! Congratulations on that remarkable find! :-)

Flash
Old 11-20-12, 04:32 PM
1 Lugnut

Bikes: Motobecane Grand Record, Colnago Super, Mondia Super, Mondia Special, Mondia Prestige (for sale 55cm),Titan Star, Titan Exklusiv, Windsor

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked 111 Times in 54 Posts
Someone got really lucky! You are going to really enjoy riding this one...Congrats
Old 11-20-12, 04:42 PM
Chicago Al 

Bikes: 1974 Motobecane Grand Record, 1987 Miyata Pro, 1988 Bob Jackson Lady Mixte (wife's), others in the family

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked 155 Times in 79 Posts
+1 My Grand Record similarly had been turned into something like a tourer, with a rear rack and bar end shifters.

It certainly does have monetary value, but it's so unique it's hard to guess. The fenders and rack are removable so are a plus unless there's rust underneath the attachments. The drivetrain has been changed out, from Campy to Suntour, not a plus on value but a wash or improvement in performance/reliability. Motobecane was, I think, not so well known for high end bikes, so there's less collector interest in these than in a Peugeot PX-10 though those are much more commonly seen. But for the right buyer, who is the right size...

For instance, it looks to be MY size, and if you should ever want to sell it I'd be very interested in talking!

- Dr Samuel Johnson
Old 11-20-12, 04:49 PM
rootboy 

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 556 Post(s)
Liked 132 Times in 78 Posts
I'm jealous too. Sacre' bleu. Very lucky you. Yes, it has monetary value, but that's immaterial here. While I'm no Moto expert I would think that bike is a bit earlier than '74. In 1974 they were silver I believe, and maybe silver lilac, so I would think the black ones with painted seat stay caps like that to be from 72 or 73. Check out the Motobecane catalog scans here.
https://www.velo-pages.com/main.php?g2_itemId=33287

https://bulgier.net/pics/bike/Catalog...back_cover.jpg
Very cool old bike. Congratulations.

Last edited by rootboy; 11-20-12 at 05:31 PM.
Old 11-20-12, 05:32 PM
rootboy 

All I ever find at my thrift store is old flannel shirts and Perry Como records.
Old 11-20-12, 06:37 PM
Vonruden

Bikes: Looking for a Baylis or Wizard in 59-62cm range

Mentioned: 65 Post(s)
Quoted: 374 Post(s)
Liked 346 Times in 115 Posts
Originally Posted by rootboy
All I ever find at my thrift store is old flannel shirts and Perry Como records.
Ha ha, cracking up...so true, some Leo Sayers records mixed in. Nice score on the Moto!
Old 11-20-12, 07:59 PM
wayback
Certifiable

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Welcome aboard.

Your bike appears to have the "upside-down house" headbadge and that would make it a '73. As Chicago Al noted, some of the components have been changed. Those bikes ride well so I think you're going to enjoy it.

Last edited by wayback; 11-20-12 at 10:02 PM.
Old 11-20-12, 09:10 PM
jimmuller 
What??? Only 2 wheels?

Bikes: 72 Peugeot UO-8, 82 Peugeot TH8, 87 Bianchi Brava, 76? Masi Grand Criterium, 74 Motobecane Champion Team, 86 & 77 Gazelle champion mondial, 81? Grandis, 82? Tommasini, 83 Peugeot PF10

Mentioned: 189 Post(s)
Quoted: 1222 Post(s)
Liked 645 Times in 232 Posts
Lucky find! I'd say remove the fender, kickstand, and lights and generator. But keep the bottle cage. That's how they were often done back then; frames didn't come with mounting studs. Regardless, you're going to end up riding that for long distances, so you'll want water. Then find a Jandd or similar under-saddle bag for a bit of food, a tube, tire irons, and patch kit. Mount a traditional Zefal pump. (What kind of wheels and tires does that have?) Since it already has Suntour derailleurs, consider VGT-Luxe or VX because they are lighter. Then go for a long ride. Repeat ride. Repeat ride. Report back when you'd ridden at least 200 miles.
Old 11-20-12, 10:21 PM
DsmBerg

Bikes: 72 Motobecane GR, 88 Schwinn Circuit, 72 Schwinn SS, Cannondale Synapse 5, Raleigh Tamland 1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Great find. I have to say the bottle cage and clamps hurt my eyes. Hopefully they haven't scraped your paint and decals. At least move the cage to the seat tube. Ride the heck out of it. I recently rebuilt all the bearings on my 72 Grand Record and it's a phenomenal rider. Yours is even a bit nicer frame.
Old 11-20-12, 10:36 PM
AZORCH

Bikes: 1966 Paramount | 1971 Raleigh International | ca. 1970 Bernard Carre | 1989 Waterford Paramount | 2012 Boulder Brevet | 2019 Specialized Diverge

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked 77 Times in 40 Posts
Originally Posted by DsmBerg
Great find. I have to say the bottle cage and clamps hurt my eyes. Hopefully they haven't scraped your paint and decals.
I've got the same bottle cage clamps on my '71 International. They are definitely "of the period." They have definitely marred the paint. And they definitely make me cringe when I think about them chewing into the tubing!
Old 11-20-12, 10:39 PM
Cougrrcj

Bikes: A few...

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 620 Post(s)
Liked 372 Times in 258 Posts
Originally Posted by Ex Pres
If it was mine, I'd ditch the rear rack, or replace it with one that attaches at the brake mounting bolt. I just don't like that mounting bracket. YMMV.
Back in The Day, there was a sheetmetal 'rack support braket' that bolted to the brake mount bolt and also got sandwiched between the seat stays and rack clamp, the rack mounting bolts went through this sheet metal bracket. That kept the front of the rack from sliding up- or down the seat stays. I still have one on my bike with the cheap discount store Pletcher rack... It has been on there for over 35 years!
Old 11-20-12, 10:46 PM
sailorbenjamin

Bikes: one of each

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 12 Posts
Really nice. Dad bought one in boulder Colorado in '72. Close cousins. I know his rides Really nice.
That bottom bracket is probably Swiss thread and those are hard to find, so take it apart and clean it up real well and put new grease in it before you're tempted to ride it. Also, I think the Stronglite cranks take a slightly larger puller so don't be tempted to try to take them off with the standard one that all the other bikes use and don't let the teenage dummy at the LBS try it either. Watch him like a hawk.
Are those clincher rims? Dad's came with tubulars but maybe they changed that it '73. I'd almost prefer clinchers.
Old 11-21-12, 05:44 AM
rootboy 

Good advice above.
Old 11-21-12, 10:48 AM
sam_

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by sailorbenjamin
That bottom bracket is probably Swiss thread and those are hard to find, so take it apart and clean it up real well and put new grease in it before you're tempted to ride it. Also, I think the Stronglite cranks take a slightly larger puller so don't be tempted to try to take them off with the standard one that all the other bikes use and don't let the teenage dummy at the LBS try it either. Watch him like a hawk.
Are those clincher rims? Dad's came with tubulars but maybe they changed that it '73. I'd almost prefer clinchers.
They are clinchers, not sure on the make. Thank you for the heads up on the bb. I'm very much a newb to this, so thanks everyone for all the great info thus far. It has been very helpful.
Old 11-21-12, 10:51 AM
sam_

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jimmuller
Lucky find! I'd say remove the fender, kickstand, and lights and generator. But keep the bottle cage. That's how they were often done back then; frames didn't come with mounting studs. Regardless, you're going to end up riding that for long distances, so you'll want water. Then find a Jandd or similar under-saddle bag for a bit of food, a tube, tire irons, and patch kit. Mount a traditional Zefal pump. (What kind of wheels and tires does that have?) Since it already has Suntour derailleurs, consider VGT-Luxe or VX because they are lighter. Then go for a long ride. Repeat ride. Repeat ride. Report back when you'd ridden at least 200 miles.
Will do! Thank you muchly for the good advice.
Old 11-21-12, 12:34 PM
Chicago Al 

Bikes: 1974 Motobecane Grand Record, 1987 Miyata Pro, 1988 Bob Jackson Lady Mixte (wife's), others in the family

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked 155 Times in 79 Posts
The changes made are pretty typical of what someone would have done with their 70s racing bike in the 80s, updating some components and adding some things to make it suitable for a different riding style. It's kind of a neat time capsule of that in fact. They suggest that at least at that point the bike had an owner who was paying attention to it and (probably) keeping it maintained as well. The Bluemels fenders are classic and no longer made, and would be worth a few bucks (say $40-50) by themselves, assuming they have no cracks or other damage. The kickstand is the only change that's really unfortunate as it has certainly scarred the paint and possibly dented the stays it's attached to. If you wanted to return the drivetrain to Campagnolo, NR from the 70s is not hard to find and not too expensive...of course Suntour is perfectly fine but an elite bike like that 'deserves' Cyclone or Superbe!

Excellent point above on the Stronglight cranks needing a special threaded puller. It's not even the same one as TA, though they are close! In a major cycling area like Colorado (where it seems like you might be) you should be able to find someplace with a grizzled mechanic who has the proper tool though he may not have used it for 20 years. It might even be that a local C&Ver could help you out. Those guys are expensive though, the charge for helping a fellow enthusiast can easily get into the six or even twelve packs!

If you are at all handy, basic bike maintenance is not difficult, doesn't require a whole lot in tools or materials, and lets you understand your bike from the inside out. That's actually a big part of the fun for many of us. You can always go to a pro for things that do require special tools, like headsets. There are several books from the 70s-80s that provide clear instructions on just about everything you'd need to know, and the books were very popular 'back in the day,' so really cheap on Amazon now...like a couple of dollars. Eugene Sloan's 'Bicycle Repair Manual' and Bicycling magazine's 'Complete Guide' reinforce each other neatly, and there is always Sheldon Brown's site and of course BF.

Motobecane changed specs from year to year and perhaps because they were building a lot for export, were kind of schizophrenic about what standard they were building to. As noted above, the bottom bracket is likely Swiss, but could be French. The pedals may well be English thread. If the pedals have little incised D (droite) and G (gauche) instead of R and L on the wrench flats though, they are French. Brand does not matter, Lyotard or Maillard can easily be English thread. The bike's stem is likely English (22.2mm) but possibly French (22). The freewheel thread on the rear is probably English, esp if the wheelset is not original...and as they are clinchers they are almost certainly not 'factory' though they may have been on the bike since it was sold.

Let us know how things go with the bike...riding and wrenching! And post more pics!

- Dr Samuel Johnson
Old 11-21-12, 02:25 PM
sam_

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thank you Alan for all the info. I actually live in Utah, out in the middle of nowhere and far from any of the bigger cities... which actually makes for some incredible scenery! But this comes with a lack of resources or variety of experienced riders to turn to. I've overhauled a handful of simple kid's bikes, and some older cheap-o 10 speeds for myself and the wife. These bikes were all generally junk, but just right for learning on because I could strip them all the way down with basic tools, clean and rebuild them to get them back into working order.

At some point I caught the love-of-old-stuff bug, and can't seem to pass over anything old (namely sewing machines, tools, and bikes), without wanting to clean them up and put them back to work! This bike in particular has really motivated me to use it for what it's meant for, and explore the area I live a little more thoroughly. Utah's a gorgeous state.

Anyhow, the thing I've been most concerned about with this bike is the bottom bracket, and tracking down the correct tools to work on it without damaging it. Sheldon's been a great help, as well as a few other sites, and you all here. Thank you so much. I'll keep you posted on the progress!

Last edited by sam_; 11-29-12 at 12:25 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.