Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Resurrected 1975 Carlton Criterium

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-13, 07:08 PM
Skyshroud

Bikes: 198(?) Bottecchia, 1975 Carlton Criterium, 1954 Claud Butler (frame), 1947 Hobbs of Barbican Clubweight

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 1 Post

Hey all,

After relocating to the UK, I realized that I really needed a solid road, or touring frame in order to get about town and proceeded to have a look around in order to find a good frame. Luckily I came upon the Bike Rescue Project and their warehouse, which is a treasure trove of vintage frames awaiting to be restored/overhauled. After perusing the selection of road bikes that they had, a bronze Carlton caught my eye. Now, Unfortunately, I don't have any 'before' pictures, but the best way I can describe it's condition is that it looked like it was ridden hard, then left in someone's back shed for about 20 years. It looked altogether exhausted.

However, I was sufficiently intrigued by the frame, and after speaking with one of the head mechanics (a fan of C&V frames of all kinds), I decided to go with it. Not being very experienced in overhauls, I decided to trust the folks at the Bike Rescue Project (definitely check them out if you are near York), and after a three-week wait due to the sheer volume of projects, I picked her up, and was honestly rather shocked with what they were able to accomplish.

After the overhaul, the frame has been outfitted with contemporary-ish (also refurbished) Huret drivetrain, a new bottom bracket, new wheels and hubs, but most of the original details have been preserved and cleaned up - the gloriously purple fenders, Carlton-branded brake hoods, etc. I did manage to save the old high-flange hubs that I hope to clean up myself and use for a future project, and I just picked up a used Brooks Professional saddle (which I believe the Carlton would have originally had), complete with the patina of age. The frame also has a certain patina, which personally, I like. It gives it character and lets people know that its used.

Even with the sensible additions such as the fenders and rear rack, that frame is definitely capable of some serious speed and cornering . . .

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
DSC_0106.jpg (105.1 KB, 153 views)
DSC_0107.jpg (93.3 KB, 108 views)
DSC_0109.jpg (89.3 KB, 100 views)
DSC_0110.jpg (72.8 KB, 98 views)
DSC_0113.jpg (91.6 KB, 98 views)
DSC_0114.jpg (91.0 KB, 95 views)
DSC_0117.jpg (88.2 KB, 95 views)
DSC_0118.jpg (80.8 KB, 96 views)
DSC_0121.jpg (90.2 KB, 98 views)
DSC_0125.jpg (56.6 KB, 89 views)
DSC_0127.jpg (85.2 KB, 86 views)
Old 11-06-13, 08:25 PM
Bandera
~>~

Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Quoted: 1112 Post(s)
Liked 181 Times in 120 Posts
Originally Posted by Skyshroud
Even with the sensible additions such as the fenders and rear rack, that frame is definitely capable of some serious speed and cornering . . .
No doubt, a proper and very versatile Classic machine.
Good on you for the rescue.

-Bandera
Old 11-06-13, 09:14 PM
Michael Angelo 

Bikes: Treks (USA), Schwinn Paramount, Schwinn letour,Raleigh Team Professional, Gazelle GoldLine Racing, 2 Super Mondias, Carlton Professional.

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 22 Posts
Very nice, good save, bike looks fantastic.
I like Carltons too.

[
Old 11-07-13, 01:05 AM
David325
BMW Aficionado

Bikes: '66 Raleigh RSW, '69 Humber Sports, '71 Raleigh Pro, '73 Raleigh Super Course, '74 Raleigh International, '75 + '77 Raleigh Competition, '87 Raleigh Edge, others

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Wow- purple Bluemel's fenders. Too cool!
Old 11-07-13, 06:58 AM
daf1009

Bikes: LESS than I did a year ago!

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Nice bike...I particularly like all the details...such as the great head badge and some of the "made here" stickers/badges. Love the patina...but...the purple fenders...hmmm...just not my style...they seem shocking to me. But...that is just an opinion where the opinion does not matter! It is your bike...and if you love it, that is really all that matters! The second "but"...do love everything except the fenders...so, overall...great job...and great save!
Old 11-07-13, 05:27 PM
Oldpeddaller

Bikes: 1970 Holdsworth Mistral, Vitus 979, Colnago Primavera, Corratec Hydracarbon, Massi MegaTeam, 1935 Claud Butler Super Velo, Carrera Virtuoso, Viner, 1953 Claud Butler Silver Jubilee, 1954 Holdsworth Typhoon, 1966 Claud Butler Olympic Road, 1982 Claud

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 10 Posts
Nice!

Brings back some happy memories, thanks for posting the photos. We going to see a Brooks on that baby any time soon, Skyshroud?

Not sure about the purple Bluemels, but they are a fascination in themselves - I've never, ever seen that colour before. For that reason alone I'd keep them on there if it was my bike.

Enjoy your bike.

Edit - (I just re-read your post (too busy looking at your photos before) - Brooks Pro ready to fit, brilliant.

Last edited by Oldpeddaller; 11-07-13 at 05:29 PM. Reason: Made an error reading the original post
Old 11-07-13, 05:39 PM
David Newton
Wood

Bikes: Raleigh Sports: hers. Vianelli Professional & Bridgestone 300: mine

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
OP we need pictures of the "Bike Rescue Project and their warehouse"!
And by the way, nice bike build-up.
Old 11-10-13, 07:02 PM
Skyshroud

Bikes: 198(?) Bottecchia, 1975 Carlton Criterium, 1954 Claud Butler (frame), 1947 Hobbs of Barbican Clubweight

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Michael Angelo
Very nice, good save, bike looks fantastic.
I like Carltons too.

[
Thanks, and that is a magnificent machine - it looks like it just came out of the showroom! Based on the graphics, I assume that its a 'Pre-Raleigh' Carlton? What's it like on the road?

Originally Posted by Oldpeddaller
Nice!

Brings back some happy memories, thanks for posting the photos. We going to see a Brooks on that baby any time soon, Skyshroud?

Not sure about the purple Bluemels, but they are a fascination in themselves - I've never, ever seen that colour before. For that reason alone I'd keep them on there if it was my bike.

Enjoy your bike.

Edit - (I just re-read your post (too busy looking at your photos before) - Brooks Pro ready to fit, brilliant.
I am just waiting on some Proofide from Brooks (it seemed to be the product that was most recommended by BF members), and I will hopefully have the 'new-old' saddle on the Criterium by next week or so. As for the fenders, I had not seen that colour anywhere before either, and I just thought that if they were salvageable, I should definitely use them. They are definitely conversation starters . . . in fact, I was told by the manager of the Bike Rescue that if I had declined to use the Bluemels, she would have absconded with them for her own daily commuter. I just find that the colour combination 'works' somehow . . .

Also, after doing some digging based on the serial number, I believe that this frame was the 7,284th frame made at Worksop in 1975 (this one was apparently made in September). I used a wikipedia article with Raleigh serial numbers (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Raleigh...Serial_numbers), does anyone know how reliable this article is?

PS: I'll try to post a few pic with the Brooks, and if I get a chance to swing by Bike Rescue again, I will see if I can grab a few shots of their warehouse as well.
Old 11-11-13, 06:04 AM
Michael Angelo 

Bikes: Treks (USA), Schwinn Paramount, Schwinn letour,Raleigh Team Professional, Gazelle GoldLine Racing, 2 Super Mondias, Carlton Professional.

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 22 Posts
Originally Posted by Skyshroud

Thanks, and that is a magnificent machine - it looks like it just came out of the showroom! Based on the graphics, I assume that its a 'Pre-Raleigh' Carlton? What's it like on the road?
Yes it's a pre Raleigh Carlton Professional, it rides very smooth, and fast. Only taken it out three times.
Old 11-11-13, 12:33 PM
vjp

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Nice!!

On the fenders, there is a tradition of clashing "mudgaurd" colours on British Club bikes and I love it!!