Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Nastiest flat ever & sidewall repair

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-15, 08:58 AM
asmac

Bikes: Salsa Vaya

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 172 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I was riding along minding my own business when my rear Kojack picked up a 3" drywall screw. It penetrated right at the bottom and exited through the sidewall about 1/8" from the rim.

Ironically, the flat happened about a block from my destination bike store so decided to walk over. I hadn't noticed the screw -- didn't really look -- and, with every rotation of the tire, it scratched my nice halo dyad rim. Damn!

I was able to fix it in a/c comfort -- needed a screwdriver to remove the screw -- and made use of a Filzer adhesive tire boot that had been rattling around unused in my toolkit for five years.

After riding the clearly labeled "for emergency use" booted tire for a few days, I see that the adhesive side of the boot is gradually forcing itself out of the tire and making a small 3/16" bubble on the sidewall just above the rim.

It's a nice tire and I'd like to save it. I'm considering the following and would appreciate any better suggestions or advice:
  1. Cut a piece of sidewall from an old tire and glue it to the inside of the damaged tire using vulcanizing glue
  2. Cut a piece of sidewall from an old tire and glue it to the inside of the damaged tire using crazy glue
  3. Add a small regular tire patch on the outside of the tire to seal the puncture and reinforce it.

Or, is this tire toast?
Old 05-15-15, 09:13 AM
SkyDog75

Bikes: Bianchi San Mateo and a few others

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 634 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 9 Posts
If a drywall screw completely penetrated the tire -- in two places, no less -- there's almost certainly some cord damage. Once cords in the tire's casing are cut, the tire is irreparably damaged. Most of us here would probably toss the tire, but you could certainly try booting it. (I wouldn't trust that damaged tire for fast riding like mountain descents, though.) Tyvek envelopes supposedly work well as boot material. I've got some Kevlar fabric from used drum heads.
Old 05-15-15, 09:13 AM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3873 Post(s)
Liked 2,574 Times in 1,581 Posts
Dang, that sucks. But I also know the feeling of wanting to hump a damaged tire along as long as possible.

For starters, patching the tire from the outside won't do much except cosmetically, since it's in no position to resist the pressure from inside. And Krazy Glue isn't flexible, so it's out for this kind of repair. I think using a large piece of sidewall as a boot is probably the best bet, and I would cover that with a layer or two of duct tape from bead to bead to protect the tube from abrasion and spread out the pressure.

But I'd also save up for the replacement tire.
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 05-15-15, 09:49 AM
spdracr39

Bikes: Lynskey Twisted Helix Di2 Ti, 1987 Orbea steel single speed/fixie, Orbea Avant M30, Trek Fuel EX9.8 29, Trek Madone 5 series, Specialized Epic Carbon Comp 29er, Trek 7.1F

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Think of this. If you are riding and it blows causing you to veer into traffic and get hit by a car or off the trail into a tree how much have you saved? Or, not so doom and gloom, how much is it worth to not have to walk home at the most inopportune time for it to fail? It might be fine but it might not. How much are you really saving in the end.
Old 05-15-15, 10:14 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,359 Times in 865 Posts
On A Long tour, I Brought a 3rd Tire and abandoned the sidewall Blown out (Rear) tire in a Tractor shed at a farm in Lower Scotland.

If you can write about it on this Forum You can find a New Tire to replace It .. Put the New Tire on The Front.

Last edited by fietsbob; 05-15-15 at 10:17 AM.
Old 05-15-15, 11:08 AM
dabac

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 1074 Post(s)
Liked 295 Times in 222 Posts
I've had very good results repairing sidewalls with a piece of nylon cloth as reinforcement and stuck in place with Liquisole. You want the patch fully saturated. Maybe both in- and outside on a high pressure tire.
Old 05-15-15, 02:19 PM
asmac

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by spdracr39
Think of this. If you are riding and it blows causing you to veer into traffic and get hit by a car or off the trail into a tree how much have you saved? Or, not so doom and gloom, how much is it worth to not have to walk home at the most inopportune time for it to fail? It might be fine but it might not. How much are you really saving in the end.
$60
Old 05-15-15, 02:41 PM
rmfnla

Bikes: Gilmour road, Curtlo road; both steel (of course)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 273 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts
Count yourself lucky.

Last time I hit something that big it was a nail and it went through the tire and the rim!
Old 05-15-15, 03:17 PM
davidad

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 582 Post(s)
Liked 171 Times in 138 Posts
I use 1/32 reinforced rubber pipe flange gasket material and super glue it in the tire. I cover the boot with duct tape to keep it from fretting through the tube.
Old 05-15-15, 03:25 PM
asmac

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by rmfnla
Last time I hit something that big it was a nail and it went through the tire and the rim!
That makes mine the second nastiest flat ever.
Old 05-15-15, 04:09 PM
rmfnla

Bikes: Gilmour road, Curtlo road; both steel (of course)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 273 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by asmac
That makes mine the second nastiest flat ever.
Old 05-15-15, 04:54 PM
Sangetsu

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 570 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 21 Posts
I had an identical type of puncture on my first group ride long ago. Worse yet, it was a brand new Specialized Turbo S tire (a lot of money for me at the time). The flat happened out US 27 in south Florida, the middle of nowhere, and my patches weren't enough to repair the flat. A fisherman coming back from an early morning of fishing gave me a ride back to town, and I put in a new tube, booting it with my last dollar bill. I rode the bike a few more months until getting another puncture, by then the tire was worn out anyway. I thought about using the dollar bill to buy something to drink, but it had glued itself to the tire, and came off in small pieces.

You can probably get more life out of the tire, but booting it, or repairing it in some other way will leave it slightly out-of-round, with a high spot, or a low spot. Replace the tire when you can.