Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

best quality bike for my budget?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-16, 05:01 PM
unistudent

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi, I am new to cycling. I want to get a bike to be my primary form of transport but my budget is only about $700 Aus, could perhaps push it up to $1000 if there is a massive leap in quality going into that price bracket
I want something fast and light, with decent gears because there are some hills on my daily commute.
I probably don't want a full on road bike though because I don't want the aggressive cycling position or the thin tires because its for riding to and from uni and to the shops where there is a bit of traffic, stopping and starting and some curbs and the roads aren't fully sealed. So was thinking either a flat bar road bike like an alight 2 I looked at ($650) or a trek fx 7.1 (also $650). The 7.2 is $750. the bike store recommended a hybrid to me, but I actually think I would rather put the money into a lighter frame and better gears over the suspension you get in a hybrid. So are there any suggestions out there for a good bike in this price range.. and what extra would I get if I were to go up to spending $1000?

I was thinking I should buy it from a store because the bike stores include servicing and can help you out if you have any issues. But also, if I put some time into learning about bikes, I am wondering if I would be better off getting a better quality second hand bike for my budget and learning to do the servicing myself. In which case what are peoples thoughts on buying used bikes.. what kind of depreciation to the value should I expect? If I spend 700$ on a second hand bike.. how much would that bike be new? I'm not sure that the convenience of buying a new bike is worth the extra money? But also, I know i am not going to get into cycling seriously.. I have other hobbies that take up most of my spare time, so I really do just want something that will do the job and not give me too many headaches.

Any thoughts/suggestions much appreciated thanks!

Lena

Last edited by unistudent; 01-30-16 at 05:05 PM.
Old 01-30-16, 05:20 PM
MUDDY88YJ

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Again used is hard. You can buy a new bike on bikesdirect that is better quality and in need of no repairs at all.
Old 01-30-16, 05:27 PM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
The real biggie is how you fit on the bike. That's more important than the frame material or the components. The biggest single benefit you can get from an average or better bike shop are size and fitting services.
Old 01-31-16, 02:27 PM
vanguardx3
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Retro Grouch
The real biggie is how you fit on the bike. That's more important than the frame material or the components. The biggest single benefit you can get from an average or better bike shop are size and fitting services.
Shops charge anywhere between $85 to $400 for a fitting, depending upon how thorough and how much computer tech. is involved.

A basic sizing simply means: 'you look better on a 54 than a 56.'
Old 01-31-16, 02:30 PM
vanguardx3
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by unistudent
Hi, I am new to cycling. I want to get a bike to be my primary form of transport but my budget is only about $700 Aus, could perhaps push it up to $1000 if there is a massive leap in quality going into that price bracket
I want something fast and light, with decent gears because there are some hills on my daily commute.
I probably don't want a full on road bike though because I don't want the aggressive cycling position or the thin tires because its for riding to and from uni and to the shops where there is a bit of traffic, stopping and starting and some curbs and the roads aren't fully sealed. So was thinking either a flat bar road bike like an alight 2 I looked at ($650) or a trek fx 7.1 (also $650). The 7.2 is $750. the bike store recommended a hybrid to me, but I actually think I would rather put the money into a lighter frame and better gears over the suspension you get in a hybrid. So are there any suggestions out there for a good bike in this price range.. and what extra would I get if I were to go up to spending $1000?

I was thinking I should buy it from a store because the bike stores include servicing and can help you out if you have any issues. But also, if I put some time into learning about bikes, I am wondering if I would be better off getting a better quality second hand bike for my budget and learning to do the servicing myself. In which case what are peoples thoughts on buying used bikes.. what kind of depreciation to the value should I expect? If I spend 700$ on a second hand bike.. how much would that bike be new? I'm not sure that the convenience of buying a new bike is worth the extra money? But also, I know i am not going to get into cycling seriously.. I have other hobbies that take up most of my spare time, so I really do just want something that will do the job and not give me too many headaches.

Any thoughts/suggestions much appreciated thanks!

Lena
You have a great budget to work with and you should be able to get a great bike, for sure.

I agree that you should stay away from suspension.

You are best off with a quality bike shop rather than a used or internet purchase for the first one.

What is your height and inseam? We should be able to recommend a couple of frame sizes for each brand based upon this info.
Old 01-31-16, 04:00 PM
unistudent

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks, that is useful to know when I am shopping around. I should find out what services are offered or included in the cost of the bike e.g. fitting, maintenance, etc.
Old 01-31-16, 04:02 PM
unistudent

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
my height is 168cm. I will get back to you with inseam after I find I tape measure
Old 01-31-16, 05:23 PM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1514 Post(s)
Liked 735 Times in 456 Posts
Why don't you NOT do it backwards? Go to the shop and determine what the price is of the minimum bike you'd want. It's a sure way to get a bike you're not fully happy with if you set a price first and try to find a bike that's priced under that.
Old 01-31-16, 06:54 PM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2750 Post(s)
Liked 3,406 Times in 2,061 Posts
Don't know about down under prices, but figure another $100 for basic accessories. Student using bike for transport - lock, rack, basic flat repair tools, etc.
Old 01-31-16, 07:44 PM
vanguardx3
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by unistudent
my height is 168cm. I will get back to you with inseam after I find I tape measure
According to Trek's sizing chart, you may fit a 17.5" 7.2fx. You are probably too tall for a 15"

Sizing Charts

Have you considered a nashbar flat bar road bike?

Nashbar Flat Bar Road Bike

The specs are extremely similar to the 7.2fx, yet costs several hundreds of dollars less.
Old 01-31-16, 07:54 PM
Homebrew01
Super Moderator

Bikes: Old Steelies I made, Old Cannondales

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1173 Post(s)
Liked 931 Times in 616 Posts
Will you be locking it up at uni while in class ? Assume that if it's out of your sight more than 5 minutes it will get stolen.

Therefore, get a non-suspension used hybrid for $75, put 35mm road tires on it, and ride the heck out of it.

Get a nice bike too if you want, but save it for safe, weekend rides.

FYI: https://www.bikeforums.net/forum-sugg...ad-please.html