Notices
Great Lakes Rides and Events Illinois | Indiana | Iowa | Michigan | Minnesota | Ohio | Wisconsin

RAGBRAI Trouble

Old 10-18-19, 06:56 PM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1511 Post(s)
Liked 733 Times in 454 Posts
Charter services are another point that will help one ride and hinder another. I doubt that many of them will be able to have a presence at both rides. Charters not only provide services that RAGBRAI doesn't have to and that many, many cyclists want, but they also require registration before they'll let you sign on. Everyone using charters is a paid RAGBRAI registrant, unlike up to half (by some accounts) of the general ridership who ride bandit for a day or more.

Bubba's has already announced that they will be at Iowa's Ride in 2020, NOT at RAGBRAI.
Old 10-18-19, 10:02 PM
SpeedofLite 

Bikes: Litespeed (9); Slingshot (9); Specialized (3); Kestrel (2); Cervelo (1); FELT (1); Trek (2)

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 431 Post(s)
Liked 3,397 Times in 983 Posts
Originally Posted by BlazingPedals
Bubba's has already announced that they will be at Iowa's Ride in 2020, NOT at RAGBRAI.
Thanks for that.
Any idea why Bubba's Pampered Pedalers is supporting the Iowa Ride?
There is no explanation on that website.
WTB: Bike World issue Jun 1974.

Old 10-19-19, 08:58 AM
Reynolds 531 

Bikes: a few that I can't recall

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 339 Post(s)
Liked 287 Times in 142 Posts
Originally Posted by burnthesheep
You just might not get the red carpet at some places like you would other places.

So this falls under the "get mad when you encounter real world capitalism".

Paper can do wtf ever they wanna do. Might be not your favorite, but there it is.

Awesome. but what if the paper doesn't want to bake a gay cake?

Originally Posted by burnthesheep
That's where I am.
Sad attitude to go through life with, that bias and prejudice are allowed (but only if it agrees with me)
Old 10-19-19, 04:44 PM
Ald1 

Bikes: Domane SLR 9 Fuji Gran Fondo 2.3 1978 Mercian

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
Hot take there, Benny.

You really dont think the RAGBRAI staff thought before acting? They launched an entire website with a lot of ride details/plans the day resigned. They thought long and hard before acting. They obviously thought for days and weeks before acting.
Whether each of us agrees or disagrees with their decision can be discussed, but everyone should come to the table with the understanding that this wasnt a quick emotional reaction.
hummmmm. Lauched a complete package the day they resigned........to me thats not "thought".......to me that says premeditated pouching of an idea with a weak excuse......did they also announce ALL the profits from the ride go to charity like the original or am I wrong? And they wanted the email addresses of all the riders???? Sure let's make it easy to steal it.....hummmm. We will see how it all pans out but they could have gone to the paper and asked, as they organized the thing, to make it an independent activity with no paper affiliation. Once refused then walk......thinking of doing one in the future....
Old 10-20-19, 08:33 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10902 Post(s)
Liked 7,393 Times in 4,148 Posts
Originally Posted by Ald1
hummmmm. Lauched a complete package the day they resigned........to me thats not "thought".......to me that says premeditated pouching of an idea with a weak excuse......did they also announce ALL the profits from the ride go to charity like the original or am I wrong? And they wanted the email addresses of all the riders???? Sure let's make it easy to steal it.....hummmm. We will see how it all pans out but they could have gone to the paper and asked, as they organized the thing, to make it an independent activity with no paper affiliation. Once refused then walk......thinking of doing one in the future....
None of this disagrees with my response to Ben.
Ben claimed the staff didnt think before acting. I provided info to show they had thought before acting. Then you point out the work done before leaving which further shows the staff thought before acting.

So thanks for the backup.
Old 10-20-19, 10:41 AM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18320 Post(s)
Liked 4,489 Times in 3,338 Posts

I have to wonder if there was at least one thing that I said when I was in High School or College that would have been better left unsaid. Perhaps a joke that could be taken out of context.

We do, of course, have a President of the USA that makes inappropriate tweets every day. And, Iowa was one of the states that imposed that trainwreck on the rest of the nation.

How bad was that tweet that it could create such chaos?

I'm seeing notes that RAGBRAI will likely continue.

https://www.desmoinesregister.com/st...wa/3989536002/
Old 10-21-19, 03:38 PM
Chris Chicago

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 31 Times in 20 Posts
I have no inside information, at all.

My guess is TJ was tired of working with the newspaper and waiting for the right moment to break away. Decided he could piggy back on the Carson King story to get the word out and ride the anti Register sentiment.

anyone hear anything different?
Likes For Chris Chicago:
Old 10-23-19, 08:36 AM
SpeedofLite 

Bikes: Litespeed (9); Slingshot (9); Specialized (3); Kestrel (2); Cervelo (1); FELT (1); Trek (2)

More information today. Iowa's Ride business entity in place a year ago. Iowa State Patrol were surprised by announcement and indicate they still plan to support RAGBRAI. They have not been approached by Iowa' Ride yet, but are willing to discuss supporting that event as well.

https://www.desmoinesregister.com/st...on/4057785002/

https://www.desmoinesregister.com/st...erm=4005168002

Old 10-23-19, 11:41 AM
shoota 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 1871 Post(s)
Liked 689 Times in 467 Posts
What a mess. This is PC and cancel culture at its worst right here. So disappointing
Likes For shoota:
Old 10-25-19, 10:03 AM
conspiratemus1
Used to be Conspiratemus

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 297 Post(s)
Liked 245 Times in 163 Posts
Originally Posted by TulsaJohn
I wonder what happens when the routes cross . . .

That said, this seems like a stupid pissing contest to me, all in the name of some PC crap.

Tailwinds, John
I can just hear the discussion at the Stratford United Methodist Church. "Um, do all of you folks realize just what exactly is going to happen on this very spot next July 23?" "Well, if there is to be a pissing contest, let's hope they all do at at Rungo's down the street and not here."

Rule #1 of so many co-operative endeavours: The lower the stakes, the nastier the politics. <sigh>
Old 11-06-19, 03:14 PM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1511 Post(s)
Liked 733 Times in 454 Posts
I don't have a dog in the show, and no insider info either. I'm just going to follow the story. Even if I were thinking of doing one, I would not want to do either ride if they shared so much as a single overnight town. Not because of the potential animosity problems so much as Too Many People.
Old 11-10-19, 10:56 AM
SpeedofLite 

RAGBRAI announced yesterday that 2020 registration opens on Monday, Nov 11.

We're just a bunch of old cycling buddies who've moved to different parts of the US and don't get to see each other much anymore.
We decided earlier this year to ride RAGBRAI in 2020, all of us for the first time, as a reunion of sorts.
We've read the reports and stories about the former organizers bugging out, and we're sticking with RAGBRAI.
We're also aware of the crowds, the more relaxed nature of this event, and the mixed experience of the riders, and we're ready to embrace a different way of riding for a week.
Expecting a fun, safe time.
Long live RAGBRAI.

Likes For SpeedofLite:
Old 11-10-19, 11:30 AM
kingston 
Jedi Master

Bikes: https://stinkston.blogspot.com/p/my-bikes.html

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1759 Post(s)
Liked 488 Times in 313 Posts
Seems like all the news on this story is coming from the DMR and they aren't providing any details. The "straw that broke the camel's back" theory seems the most plausible to me. Maybe Juskiewicz could get Twitter to sponsor his new ride?
Old 11-15-19, 09:54 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Originally Posted by SpeedofLite
More information today. Iowa's Ride business entity in place a year ago. Iowa State Patrol were surprised by announcement and indicate they still plan to support RAGBRAI. They have not been approached by Iowa' Ride yet, but are willing to discuss supporting that event as well.

https://www.desmoinesregister.com/st...on/4057785002/

https://www.desmoinesregister.com/st...erm=4005168002
I would question if sourcing information from the organization that has a stake in reporting the story in a specific way is the most accurate way to get information.

Having now heard a good bit about the dirty part of this, i would suggest it isn't the best way to get accurate information.

Last edited by mstateglfr; 11-15-19 at 10:04 PM.
Old 11-15-19, 10:03 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Originally Posted by kingston
Seems like all the news on this story is coming from the DMR and they aren't providing any details. The "straw that broke the camel's back" theory seems the most plausible to me. Maybe Juskiewicz could get Twitter to sponsor his new ride?
Exactly- a newspaper is framing the narrative and it has a financial stake in that narrative being believed. That simply isnt good journalism.

More info on IR and RAGBRAI came out today- stories about both.
I eagerly await a detailed response from Gannett/Register reps about donations as advertised. They are a private company so there is almost 0 chance they release the expenses, but based on the statement that they basically can improve on what they give back to communities, it isnt difficult to interpret what that really means.
Old 11-15-19, 10:04 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3868 Post(s)
Liked 2,560 Times in 1,574 Posts
Latest news is that the "Iowa Ride" will move to the week prior to RAGBRAI and will go East-to-West.

I'd like to think that once all the bad blood between organizers settles out, they could work together to make a giant loop out of the whole thing.
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Likes For ThermionicScott:
Old 12-02-19, 01:58 PM
SpeedofLite 

News announced yesterday on the RAGBRAI site: https://ragbrai.com/ragbrai-names-ex...-new-director/
I like the collective resume of this new leadership team and the positive news about the 2020 event.
Long live RAGBRAI.

Old 12-02-19, 07:02 PM
02Giant 

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1638 Post(s)
Liked 741 Times in 495 Posts
Iowa Ride = Rogue Ride...
Old 12-05-19, 10:12 PM
Manny66 

Bikes: 1973 Colnago Super, Litespeed Classic , Automoto , Pinarello Gavia TSX,Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra,Eddy Merckx EMX-5 , 1982 Moser SL, Concorde TSX, Vitus 979 KAS. Diamant SLX,60's Meteor

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 233 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 319 Posts
After about 25 years of looking at all the fun going on over in Iowa,l I was planning on doing my first RAGBRAI this year.
Still on my calander and still going regardless of any of this nonsense.
Likes For Manny66: