Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

Cyclist Rear Ended at 55mph

Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Cyclist Rear Ended at 55mph

Old 09-06-19, 01:24 PM
  #51  
Chris0516
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Washington Grove, Maryland
Posts: 1,466

Bikes: 2003 (24)20-Speed Specialized Allez'

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 396 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Leisesturm View Post
Are you in Witness Protection or something? Why are you 'unfortunately' moving to an area you know will be hostile to your cycling centric lifestyle? None of my business. Your life. I wouldn't do it. I've seen many of your posts and you have racked up an impressive amount of negative interactions with motor vehicles already. What gives? Not why you are moving, that's obviously personal. Why you seem to be such a magnet for road rage, that's what I am genuinely curious about.
I can certainly see why, you might think I was in Witness Protection. Considering how I 'worded' the situation. Thankfully, That is not case. The move is both financial and to be near family. We are near family hear. But the cost-of-living, is through the roof. I say 'unfortunately'. Because the new house a relative bought. Is in a location. Where, If you travel by any mode other than a car. You might as well, not exist.

Yes, I have racked up a number of bad 'interactions' with motorists'. I am a magnet for road rage around here. Because the attitude of drivers'. Is one of needing to be somewhere, yesterday. And/or implied seniority. Because of the drivers' mode of transportation.

I was out last night on a six-lane arterial coming back from Costco. After getting my relative's medication. I was in the middle lane. Because the outside lane merged right, onto the interstate. The driver in the merge lane congenially asked me why I was not on the shoulder. I had explain state traffic, specific to bikes to him. There are even signs up in the county that say 'bike(symbol) May Use Full Lane'.

15yrs. ago, when I was living in Duluth(MN) off of Lake Superior. I made the major mistake of staying in the lane to the entrance ramp to the interstate. I ended up on an interstate route that goes from Duluth where I was living. Down to Texas near the U.S.-Mexico border. That really scared me. I promised never to make that kind of mistake again.

There is a consistent example near me(DC-Metro region), of the ongoing 'yesterday' attitude. It is a two-lane road going through a neighboring city center. It has on-street parking on both sides. Numerous times drivers' have tried to pass on the road in question. Causing me to have to ride in the 'door zone', unless I don't move. The speed limit is 30mph. But when I am going 20mph, there is no reason for a driver to try to squeeze by me.
Chris0516 is offline  
Old 09-06-19, 01:43 PM
  #52  
Leisesturm
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 4,180
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1437 Post(s)
Liked 97 Times in 76 Posts
Originally Posted by MikeyMK View Post
I approached a crossing earlier, and a sports car stopped for me. I didn't want the sports car to stop, I'd have preferred it if the sports car had just gone past, so it'd have been clear for me to proceed quicker and without confusion.

Yeah, this didn't happen. I'm just pointing out how tacky, long-winded and unnecessary it is to call a car an SUV. It's a car. And your car is a car.
And it's especially a car when it's a Toyota Camry.
?? WTF? Try again. You've utterly failed to connect this little digression to serious matters under discussion.
Leisesturm is offline  
Old 09-06-19, 01:44 PM
  #53  
dougmc
Senior Member
 
dougmc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 3,038

Bikes: Burly Canto

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by JW Fas View Post
A news article also indicated he needed facial reconstructive surgery:
https://www.kyma.com/news/cyclists-r...own/1079075565
And he has a Strava account which has some pictures that are visible if you're logged in.

Beware ... these pictures make it clear that "facial reconstructive surgery" is not an exaggeration. It looks like his surgeons did good work, but ... I imagine he's going to be disfigured for life, and I can't tell if he lost an eye or not.

Also, the ride where he was hit is also on his Strava, so you can see exactly where he was and how fast he was going (about 20 mph, it looks like.)
dougmc is offline  
Old 09-06-19, 01:46 PM
  #54  
Leisesturm
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 4,180
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1437 Post(s)
Liked 97 Times in 76 Posts
Originally Posted by Chris0516 View Post
The speed limit is 30mph. But when I am going 20mph, there is no reason for a driver to try to squeeze by me.
Chris. If you are going 20 mph in a posted 30mph there is every reason for a driver to try to squeeze by you ...

Last edited by Leisesturm; 09-06-19 at 02:08 PM.
Leisesturm is offline  
Likes For Leisesturm:
Old 09-06-19, 01:59 PM
  #55  
Leisesturm
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 4,180
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1437 Post(s)
Liked 97 Times in 76 Posts
Originally Posted by Unca_Sam View Post
See the link I shared. If you put yourself in the driver's focus, they might choose to pay attention to you.

The road is apparently US-95 in AZ. Not an interstate highway, but part of the US route system. Interestingly, AZ apparently does not ban bicycles from the interstate highways if there is no suitable alternative route. This is a state highway.
Oregon is pretty generous to cyclists as states go, but only on specific marked stretches is a cyclist allowed access to the US route system! The exceptions are well noted and have wide shoulders so that bikes can be WELL clear of the roadway. Put yourself in the drivers focus? Really? I've had to change tires and pulled well off 55 mph roads and you simply cannot imagine (unless you have experienced it) what the speed differential between freeway traffic and stationary (a cyclist!) objects is. A cyclists only chance with speeds like that is to be nowhere near the travel lane! Why do they need to see you if they are going to miss you by 8 feet?

Lots of risky and/or ridiculous things are allowed. Motorcycle riding without helmets is allowed in many places. I'm not even going to pull that road up on Google. I don't want to find out there was a side road the victim could have used instead. I would no more use US-26 in my area to go east/west than I would use US-101 to go north/south. Both are allowed. Just because a thing is ... allowed. Sometimes you have to use your own common sense foresight because hindsight is a _______ (rhymes with smother).

Last edited by Leisesturm; 09-06-19 at 02:06 PM.
Leisesturm is offline  
Likes For Leisesturm:
Old 09-06-19, 02:02 PM
  #56  
Chris0516
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Washington Grove, Maryland
Posts: 1,466

Bikes: 2003 (24)20-Speed Specialized Allez'

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 396 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Leisesturm View Post
Chris. If you are going 20 mph (unlikely) in a posted 30mph there is every reason for a driver to try to squeeze by you ...
Are you claiming, I can't go 20mph? On a road that is in a business district and/or, has a clear sight line of less than .25mi. and/or has small curves/hills, nope.
Chris0516 is offline  
Old 09-06-19, 02:31 PM
  #57  
atbman
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Leeds UK
Posts: 2,082
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Leisesturm View Post
Chris. If you are going 20 mph in a posted 30mph there is every reason for a driver to try to squeeze by you ...
I hope this is an ironic comment. There is almost never a good reason for a driver to squeeze past if you're going more slowly than him/her. Squeezing implies a very close pass and no-one's time is so important that a handful of seconds is more important than someone else's life
atbman is offline  
Old 09-06-19, 02:44 PM
  #58  
Brocephus
Professional amateur
 
Brocephus's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2018
Location: Ga.
Posts: 599

Bikes: Does a Big Wheel count ?

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 274 Post(s)
Liked 103 Times in 68 Posts
Originally Posted by Chris0516 View Post
Are you claiming, I can't go 20mph? On a road that is in a business district and/or, has a clear sight line of less than .25mi. and/or has small curves/hills, nope.
You're being obtuse. Obviously you're within your rights to go 20mph (not sure where you came up with the idea he suggested otherwise), but you would also be going significantly under the posted speed limit, and a vehicle driver would have every right to "squeeze" around you, (within reason, obviously). As a cyclist, you're PART of traffic, you don't own the road and have a perpetual,universal right-of-way. If I realize I'm holding up a string of vehicles, or even a single big truck, I routinely pull over and wave them around.
I'm obviously not obligated to do this, it's just common courtesy IMO, with an added bonus (hopefully) of instilling some positive sentiment towards cyclists.
Brocephus is offline  
Likes For Brocephus:
Old 09-06-19, 03:10 PM
  #59  
Leisesturm
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 4,180
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1437 Post(s)
Liked 97 Times in 76 Posts
Originally Posted by atbman View Post
I hope this is an ironic comment. There is almost never a good reason for a driver to squeeze past if you're going more slowly than him/her. Squeezing implies a very close pass and no-one's time is so important that a handful of seconds is more important than someone else's life
It is an observation of human nature. Frail creatures of flesh such as we are not going to pass (swidt?) up the opportunity to nail the standing green light 500 yards distant if they can. Dawdling (yes) behind ANYTHING going slower is going to put most drivers in an altered state, and thousands of neurons are going to be firing off impulses dedicated to the task of successfully achieving the (suddenly) important objective of nailing that light no matter what. Make it easy for them. Rock that door zone. The risk of a dooring (suddenly) becomes less likely than a sideswipe from a Toyota Camry (s ... never mind) traveling at 35 (five over) miles per hour. Is that not obvious?
Leisesturm is offline  
Likes For Leisesturm:
Old 09-06-19, 03:23 PM
  #60  
Chris0516
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Washington Grove, Maryland
Posts: 1,466

Bikes: 2003 (24)20-Speed Specialized Allez'

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 396 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Brocephus View Post
You're being obtuse. Obviously you're within your rights to go 20mph (not sure where you came up with the idea he suggested otherwise), but you would also be going significantly under the posted speed limit, and a vehicle driver would have every right to "squeeze" around you, (within reason, obviously). As a cyclist, you're PART of traffic, you don't own the road and have a perpetual,universal right-of-way. If I realize I'm holding up a string of vehicles, or even a single big truck, I routinely pull over and wave them around.
I'm obviously not obligated to do this, it's just common courtesy IMO, with an added bonus (hopefully) of instilling some positive sentiment towards cyclists.
No, I don't own the road, and yes. As a cyclist, I am part of the traffic.. But state law says I may 'Use The Full Lane'. There are signs posted all over the county saying this.

Also, As I previously mentioned, drivers' around here. Behave like cyclists' are in their way. But also, that they had to get something done, yesterday. Sort of like, to drive in this region. You have to be qualified in, committing road rage daily.

Five years ago. I was in a merge lane. When a driver behind me. Suddenly went from the merge lane, to the outside thru lane. Then back into the merge. He did it so fast that, when he suddenly realized the merge lane was ending. He spun out into the thru lane traffic. Coming to a rest, facing the opposite direction in, the inside lane. That was on a six-lane divided arterial. All because he did not want me in front of him.

I am not going to risk, being in their blind spot. When they want squeeze by me.
Chris0516 is offline  
Old 09-06-19, 03:29 PM
  #61  
Brocephus
Professional amateur
 
Brocephus's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2018
Location: Ga.
Posts: 599

Bikes: Does a Big Wheel count ?

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 274 Post(s)
Liked 103 Times in 68 Posts
Originally Posted by Chris0516 View Post
No, I don't own the road, and yes. As a cyclist, I am part of the traffic.. But state law says I may 'Use The Full Lane'. There are signs posted all over the county saying this..

“To have a right to do a thing is not at all the same as to be right in doing it.”G.K. Chesterton

Brocephus is offline  
Likes For Brocephus:
Old 09-06-19, 04:02 PM
  #62  
Chris0516
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Washington Grove, Maryland
Posts: 1,466

Bikes: 2003 (24)20-Speed Specialized Allez'

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 396 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Brocephus View Post

“To have a right to do a thing is not at all the same as to be right in doing it.”G.K. Chesterton

Quoting G.K. Chesterton in this respect. Is going entirely by the vagueness in the traffic law. Ignoring one's own safety. In MD, 'May Use Full Lane', is superseded by 'as close as practicable. There is no addendum to either. Providing further clarification. Because of that ambiguity in the law, I 'take the lane' consistently.
Chris0516 is offline  
Old 09-06-19, 04:04 PM
  #63  
BobbyG
Senior Member
 
BobbyG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Colorado Springs, CO
Posts: 4,629

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 949 Post(s)
Liked 330 Times in 180 Posts
Originally Posted by Leisesturm View Post
They did have a rear light and it obviously did not help. After the impact the red flashing of the blinker can be seen for several minutes.
Yes, it does. I had watched the video the night before and commented on it in the morning and should have reviewed it again, except it was too disturbing.
BobbyG is offline  
Old 09-06-19, 04:32 PM
  #64  
MaxKatt
TeeOhPea 2tha DeeOhGee
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: Everywhere, All the time.
Posts: 65

Bikes: Several

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 18 Times in 9 Posts
Should have been right of rumble strip.

if you have to take the lane for some reason, always go BIG and just f-ing take it. Watch yer back and get in and out as quick as you can, but unabashedly OWN it while you’re in there. It’s counterintuitive that it’s safer. Force them to see you, stand-up, ignore any horn as you do what you gotta do to get in and out and have a safe ride.

This guy dabbled in a gray zone and got burned. Vid doesn’t surprise me at all. If I rode like that I’d half expect to get nailed.
MaxKatt is offline  
Old 09-06-19, 07:57 PM
  #65  
MikeyMK
Cycleway town
 
MikeyMK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Milton Keynes, England
Posts: 1,402

Bikes: 2.6kw GT LTS e-tandem, 250w Voodoo, 250w solar recumbent trike, 3-speed shopper, Merlin ol/skl mtb, 80cc Ellswick

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 568 Post(s)
Liked 163 Times in 116 Posts
Originally Posted by Leisesturm View Post
Chris. If you are going 20 mph in a posted 30mph there is every reason for a driver to try to squeeze by you ...
Yeah, nobody wants to be held up by a cyclist.

What's more, even if he's doing 30 in a 30 zone, some drivers will see reason to get in front of him.
MikeyMK is offline  
Likes For MikeyMK:
Old 09-06-19, 09:01 PM
  #66  
JoeyBike
20+mph Commuter
 
JoeyBike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: New Orleans, LA USA
Posts: 6,914

Bikes: Surly LHT, a folding bike, and a beater.

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1102 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 29 Posts
Originally Posted by JW Fas View Post
If you can't see, you slow down enough to adjust for the conditions.
Your life is in THEIR hands. People screw up all the time. There is no solution to fixing THEM. Would you set up a lawn chair inside the fog line of a busy highway and watch YouTube vids on your phone as traffic passes inches away. No? Why not? Would that be dangerous? Basically the same thing as biking there.

Don't play in traffic, or go for it and take your chances. <--Here are your two choices.
JoeyBike is offline  
Old 09-06-19, 09:39 PM
  #67  
Lemond1985
Sophomore Member
 
Lemond1985's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Posts: 1,935
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1142 Post(s)
Liked 450 Times in 303 Posts
Originally Posted by JoeyBike View Post
Your life is in THEIR hands. People screw up all the time. There is no solution to fixing THEM.
Can't argue with that.

Would you set up a lawn chair inside the fog line of a busy highway and watch YouTube vids on your phone as traffic passes inches away. No? Why not? Would that be dangerous? Basically the same thing as biking there.
Actually, I learned here recently that the lawn chair would actually be safer OUTSIDE the fog line, because traffic would need to make an effort to pass said aluminum and Naugahyde outdoor furniture, and not be able to just lazily whiz right past. It's counter-intuitive, I know, but supposedly it works like a charm.

However I must admit I find your lawn chair analogy a bit flawed analytically, since a lawn chair does not have pedals. Or wheels.
Lemond1985 is offline  
Old 09-06-19, 11:12 PM
  #68  
rseeker
Senior Member
 
rseeker's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Southeast US
Posts: 811
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 279 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 75 Posts
Originally Posted by MaxKatt View Post
Should have been right of rumble strip.
That's where I would have been.

if you have to take the lane for some reason, always go BIG and just f-ing take it. Watch yer back and get in and out as quick as you can, but unabashedly OWN it while you’re in there. It’s counterintuitive that it’s safer. Force them to see you, stand-up, ignore any horn as you do what you gotta do to get in and out and have a safe ride..
I agree as a general principle except in this case, because if he'd taken the whole lane he'd have been hit square and would've gone under the vehicle (or maybe over it). The problem wasn't his position in the lane, it was being in a lane when drivers were blinded by the sun.

And yes, it's still the driver's fault for driving unsafely. If you can't see, you gotta slow down.
rseeker is offline  
Likes For rseeker:
Old 09-07-19, 01:01 AM
  #69  
JW Fas
Cop Magnet
Thread Starter
 
JW Fas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Posts: 103
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 15 Posts
Originally Posted by JoeyBike View Post
Your life is in THEIR hands. People screw up all the time. There is no solution to fixing THEM. Would you set up a lawn chair inside the fog line of a busy highway and watch YouTube vids on your phone as traffic passes inches away. No? Why not? Would that be dangerous? Basically the same thing as biking there.

Don't play in traffic, or go for it and take your chances. <--Here are your two choices.
Your argument is based off a premise of current driving standards. If we instilled a culture that enforced better driving, this wouldn't be anywhere near as much of a worry. It's certainly easier said than done, but I think my proposed solution would work.
JW Fas is offline  
Old 09-07-19, 01:15 AM
  #70  
CliffordK
Senior Member
 
CliffordK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Eugene, Oregon, USA
Posts: 23,771
Mentioned: 187 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10074 Post(s)
Liked 408 Times in 320 Posts
Perhaps tow a ramp-shaped trailer behind the bike?

This is CGI, but you get the picture.

And, a real stunt ramp.
CliffordK is online now  
Old 09-07-19, 04:21 AM
  #71  
Newspaper_Nick
Senior Member
 
Newspaper_Nick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Posts: 151
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 42 Posts
The saddest part in this video is how self-centered the driver is. The moment he/she sees the cyclist, he/she starts crying for him/herself. I don't even think he/she tried to help the dude one bit. Just burst into tears thinking "oh what's gonna happen to me now?". This kind of attitude makes me hate mankind even more than i usually do.
Newspaper_Nick is offline  
Old 09-07-19, 05:57 AM
  #72  
Moe Zhoost
Half way there
 
Moe Zhoost's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Durham, NC
Posts: 1,636

Bikes: Many, and the list changes frequently

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 487 Post(s)
Liked 157 Times in 95 Posts
Originally Posted by Newspaper_Nick View Post
The saddest part in this video is how self-centered the driver is. The moment he/she sees the cyclist, he/she starts crying for him/herself. I don't even think he/she tried to help the dude one bit. Just burst into tears thinking "oh what's gonna happen to me now?". This kind of attitude makes me hate mankind even more than i usually do.
How do you know this?

Yes, you can assume the driver was probably panicked and distraught and likely unable to think or function normally: however it's a real stretch to extrapolate this assumption to a cold, uncaring, self-pitying reaction.

Originally Posted by Lemond1985 View Post
However I must admit I find your lawn chair analogy a bit flawed analytically, since a lawn chair does not have pedals. Or wheels.
Yes they do. They're called recumbent trikes!

Last edited by Moe Zhoost; 09-07-19 at 06:11 AM.
Moe Zhoost is offline  
Old 09-07-19, 06:32 AM
  #73  
Digger Goreman
Senior Member
 
Digger Goreman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: Decatur, GA (Metro Atlanta, East)
Posts: 351

Bikes: 1995 Trek 800 Sport, aka, "Frankentrek"

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked 84 Times in 59 Posts
I find these discussions parallel Paulo Friere's assertions in "Pedagogy of the Oppressed": If you use the language of the oppressor culture (in this case, auto-centric), you give legitamacy to their colonization of traffic....

In Memphis, civil rights era, sanitation workers carried signs asking: "Ain't I a man?"

I often think we need that on the back of our vests/jerseys....
Digger Goreman is offline  
Likes For Digger Goreman:
Old 09-07-19, 10:13 AM
  #74  
JoeyBike
20+mph Commuter
 
JoeyBike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: New Orleans, LA USA
Posts: 6,914

Bikes: Surly LHT, a folding bike, and a beater.

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1102 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 29 Posts
Originally Posted by Lemond1985 View Post
However I must admit I find your lawn chair analogy a bit flawed analytically, since a lawn chair does not have pedals. Or wheels.
My point of the lawnchair was to illustrate speed differential between a cyclist and a motor vehicle on a high speed roadway. The bike is basically stopped as compared to a car moving at 55-70 mph. So in fact we ARE sitting in a lawn chair on the roadway, even if not riding a recumbent.

Also, a rear-view mirror is a lot more useful than a rear facing camera, although not nearly as illustrative after the fact. I doubt that car would have hit me. I would have bailed with about 2 seconds to spare. Been there, done that.
JoeyBike is offline  
Old 09-07-19, 10:38 AM
  #75  
Jim from Boston
Senior Member
 
Jim from Boston's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 7,153
Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 745 Post(s)
Liked 118 Times in 99 Posts
Originally Posted by JoeyBike View Post
...Also, a rear-view mirror is a lot more useful than a rear facing camera, although not nearly as illustrative after the fact. I doubt that car would have hit me. I would have bailed with about 2 seconds to spare. Been there, done that.
Perhaps, @JoeyBike
Originally Posted by CliffordK View Post
…Rumbles? If I heard them 50 feet behind myself, they would be a strong wake-up.
Originally Posted by mr_bill View Post
If the closing speed is 50 mph, that gives you 0.68 seconds to get out of the way.
Originally Posted by mr_bill View Post
...Your cat-like reflexes are much better than mine...
Originally Posted by Jim from Boston View Post
"Cyclist Rear Ended at 55mph"

Thanks to @JW Fas for posting this video. I have posted about learning safety either by experience or vicariously, and this is the best training video I have seen about “bailing out.”

I’m an ardent mirror advocate. Many naysayers disparage the use of the mirror for the rare event as depicted above, just to avoid a rear end collision. IMO a mirror is more frequently used, and more valuable to monitor and anticipate road hazards:...

So as a bailout training video, I have to consider how I would react to [such] a quickly upcomimg car, and make the decision to bail, especially with an inhospitable shoulder.
At what point do you realize that the upcoming car ain't gonna swerve out of your line of travel?
Jim from Boston is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.