Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Beach Cruisers
Reload this Page >

Your opinion on this 7 speed customization

Search
Notices
Beach Cruisers Do you love balloon tires and fenders? Do you love riding the simplicity of a single gear and coaster brakes or a single gear cluster? Do you love the classic curves in the tubing of a cruiser that takes you back to the 1950's and 1960's, stylistically? Here's your home! Welcome to the Beach Cruisers and Cruisers forum!

Your opinion on this 7 speed customization

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-18, 07:48 PM
bikeclone

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks to all the readers and their replies. After a few rides, tires aren't much of an issue, even when I thought a 1.95 width would have been better.
Put a few more miles on yesterday and now realize crank forward designs are a strange development in bikes [my opinion] and intuitively, I didn't want it, but decided this bikes' pluses outweighed that single minus, so really just a minor quibble, however....

My Observations:
1. My guess is that to place the crank forward 4-6", the frame would have to be a bit longer [all else equal, this bike is likely 4-6" longer than non-crankforwards?] to ensure toe clearance between pedals and front wheel while turning.
2. Either because of the crank forward location, or the extended frame length, when making a sharp turn [leaning into a fast turn], I have had either my foot or the pedal make contact with the ground. Never had this with any of my standard bikes.
3. Feels like it takes more energy [leg muscle] to pedal a crank forward bike; maybe b/c most of your weight is no longer over the crank.

After thoughts:
I believe the basis for this crank forward design is likely from the idea of marketing to peeps that might not otherwise want to ride a bike; the accommodation of being able to avoid contacting ones ankles while straddling the bike at a stop is likely a big security comfort for many. To be fair, it might also just be a style thing too. Though I've never ridden bikes for more than maybe 10 miles at a time, I have ridden since the days of wheelies on StingRays, to paper routes, to those stiff and heavy Schwinn Varsity's in college and somehow was able to adapt to the crank location and my feet getting along.
Given the other positive aspects of this bike, I'll adapt to it, but I won't buy another crank forward bike [this purchase was a compromise].
All things considered though, this being my first Trek, I would definitely buy another Trek- very nice quality overall.
Old 05-11-18, 11:39 PM
brdeleo49

Bikes: Electra Cruiser 7D, Dahon Boardwalk, Sundeal F1

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Very nice bike indeed. It does look better without the backrest. If you're okay riding the 10 miles without it, then leave it off. I don't know if you could fit 3.00 tires, but then again maybe you could....
Old 05-12-18, 11:37 AM
bikeclone

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the reply brdeleo, jimmie65 and ballenxj.
If anything, I'd be more inclined to a 1.95 width for a bit less roll resistance on longer pavement rides. In fact most all of my rides are on pavement, except for occasional dirt or decomposed granite roads created as 'natural bikeways', and those surfaces is still fairly smooth. Tho its beside the point, I think 3.0 widths are waaay to fat for the forks, but I could be wrong.
Funny thing about that backrest:
Initially, I thought it was a bit of a 'senior look' so was gonna lose it for that reason alone. I think the real reason it exists is as fulcrum point to make up for the loss of 'pedal power' due to the crank forward by 4-6" vs. regular bikes. Crank forward has the effect of reducing your leverage on the crank since your weight is further back- however, the rider can offset that loss [a bit] by bearing against the backrest to counter that leverage loss. Still, I don't like that I have to raise my leg an extra 10" every time to get on or off the bike. Like I said, these 'crank forward' frames are a weird development.
I'll keep this bike until I see something on the Used market with all same features, except for 'Crank Forward'.
Old 05-13-18, 01:37 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
another way they get described , is semi recumbent for obvious reasons

particularly when adding a back rest..
Old 05-13-18, 02:55 PM
Ballenxj

Bikes: Diamond Back Apex, Mongoose IBOC Aluminum Road Bike, SR road bike

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 515 Post(s)
Liked 167 Times in 116 Posts
Originally Posted by fietsbob
another way they get described , is semi recumbent for obvious reasons

particularly when adding a back rest..
^^ This might be an argument for leaving the back rest on. ^^
My biggest reason for removing it would be emergency dismounts. Looking at it again, I'm thinking you might be able to swing a leg over the top tube since it seems pretty low. Anyway, something to be aware of and plan for if you ever find yourself needing to make a hasty exit from the bike.
Old 05-14-18, 04:54 PM
bikeclone

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ballenxj- nah. Swinging a leg 10-12" higher on every mount/dismount is courting a good one-footed pivot and fall eventually.
I can get the bike going fast enough w/out the backrest. Although between the extra pedal effort and the pedals making contact w/ground on small radius-hi-speed turns, I'll definitely be adapting my riding style a bit.
Anyway, still a nice riding bike. I vote to archive this thread. Anyone else?
Old 05-14-18, 05:44 PM
tds101 
55+ Club,...

Bikes: 9+,...

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1114 Post(s)
Liked 849 Times in 593 Posts
Originally Posted by bikeclone
Ballenxj I vote to archive this thread. Anyone else?
Why archive this thread? It's here for comment as desired,...
Old 05-14-18, 06:16 PM
bikeclone

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
OK by me. None the less, it just seems a bit misleading by its title now, at least since I never actually followed thru on building a custom beach cruiser.
Just didn't want to bore anyone.