Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Beach Cruisers
Reload this Page >

Felt Speedway2

Search
Notices
Beach Cruisers Do you love balloon tires and fenders? Do you love riding the simplicity of a single gear and coaster brakes or a single gear cluster? Do you love the classic curves in the tubing of a cruiser that takes you back to the 1950's and 1960's, stylistically? Here's your home! Welcome to the Beach Cruisers and Cruisers forum!

Felt Speedway2

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-18, 05:32 AM
Speedway2

Bikes: United Motocross BMX, Specialized Langster, Giant OCR, Marin Muirwoods, Globe Roll2, VROD:)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 238 Post(s)
Liked 404 Times in 245 Posts
Originally Posted by MikeyMK

If you were gonna fit a front brake I think that'd be the way to go. But being cable free is probably best for looks!
I have to agree that a dangling brake cable and a lever would spoil the clean look of the bike. But it could save me from a situation were I can't back pedal quick enough to brake or if the chain snaps zipping down hill. (I must be getting paranoid in my old age).....
Old 10-12-18, 08:47 AM
Philphine

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 16 Posts
Originally Posted by rhenning
Aluminum cam be welded you just need to find the person with the skill and equipment to do it. Know any TIG welders? Roger

true. i recently posted on my local co-op page to see if i can find someone to put one on an aluminum girvin fork. i've put them on steel ones myself a few times with my flux welder.

another option (that would probaly still involve possible painting), is find a fat bike fork with a caliper mount. if you have a local co-op it could be a cheap enough experiment if they happen to have the parts (like i lucked into a set of fat bike wheels with a damaged frame for $40) or keep an eye out on craigslist or flea markets. but i guess that's a personal aesthetic. i like the kind of vintage look with big disc brakes. kind of that "resto mod" hot rod look.
Old 10-12-18, 10:35 AM
Speedway2

Bikes: United Motocross BMX, Specialized Langster, Giant OCR, Marin Muirwoods, Globe Roll2, VROD:)

Originally Posted by Philphine

another option (that would probaly still involve possible painting), is find a fat bike fork with a caliper mount.... i like the kind of vintage look with big disc brakes. kind of that "resto mod" hot rod look.
I thought about rigging a mount to fit V-brakes but have not seen any fat bikes with rim brakes to see if its doable. Besides, I would hate to wear the paint off the rim so now considering other options.
I'm with you on the look of the disc brake setup.......
Old 10-12-18, 06:56 PM
AtNjineer
Banned.

Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 23 Posts
You must be getting old sounds like. You need gears with age. Just take it back to where you bought it and get any other fat bike with front and rear disk and gears.
Old 10-13-18, 05:57 AM
Speedway2

Originally Posted by AtNjineer
You must be getting old sounds like. You need gears with age. Just take it back to where you bought it and get any other fat bike with front and rear disk and gears.
Really tony? Are you confusing fact vs opinion (again). Didn't you just convert your GF's 7spd to 3spd because it was her choice? I guess she didn't get the memo and I don't think anyone is getting any younger.

Besides, I already have geared bikes. Having choices and options to ride different types/styles of bikes is joyful....but I don't have to explain that to you.....right?
Have a nice ride......
Old 10-13-18, 08:35 AM
tds101 
55+ Club,...

Bikes: 9+,...

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1111 Post(s)
Liked 842 Times in 587 Posts
You can't stand when people just don't give a damn about your opinion,...do you? You like to get personal and attempt to insult them,...how immature. Grow the heck up bro,...
Old 10-13-18, 09:34 AM
Philphine

Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 16 Posts
Originally Posted by Speedway2
I thought about rigging a mount to fit V-brakes but have not seen any fat bikes with rim brakes to see if its doable. Besides, I would hate to wear the paint off the rim so now considering other options.
I'm with you on the look of the disc brake setup.......
i made that suggestion and forgot i have such a fork myself

https://www.ebay.com/itm/CUSTOM-SPRI...qUfk:rk:7:pf:0

wasn't thinking about it 'cause it's on a long term (they're all long term) project i haven't messed with for months. fat bike fork with a vintage-ish look and a caliper mount already. don't know if the steer tube diameter would work for that though.
Old 10-13-18, 12:20 PM
Speedway2

Originally Posted by Philphine
i made that suggestion and forgot i have such a fork myself

https://www.ebay.com/itm/CUSTOM-SPRI...qUfk:rk:7:pf:0

wasn't thinking about it 'cause it's on a long term (they're all long term) project i haven't messed with for months. fat bike fork with a vintage-ish look and a caliper mount already. don't know if the steer tube diameter would work for that though.
Philiphine.....That would look awesome on my bike!. Even left in black...ok maybe a flat black. At that price it is definitely worth getting even if it only turns out to be a winter project.
Old 10-13-18, 07:59 PM
AtNjineer
Banned.

Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 23 Posts
I would just accept what I’m telling you. I’m trying to upgrade you. I’m looking for fat bikes myself now. I should have one soon. What you really want is to be comfortable at your age. A Bc frame is more stylish but you often wish you could grab a lower gear. The fat tires you have and the disc brakes you wish you had are just conversation pieces in your case. If your not interested in more gears *more speed and like your cruiser frame? Then that’s just what they are “conversation pieces” and that’s ok but don’t deny function over form. I’m trying to trade some road bikes for a fat bike myself. Honestly when is the last time you road more than 10 miles? Not too long ago “I’m sure” anyway your road bike is probably dusty and your fat bike is a chore to ride. Disc brakes would look cool and availability of lower gears and an aluminum frame would be welcomed. Lol don’t bother quoting me lol I’m no longer interested in what happens in this thread best of luck.
Old 10-14-18, 08:28 AM
Speedway2

I would just accept what I’m telling you. I’m trying to upgrade you. If your not interested in more gears *more speed and like your cruiser frame? Then that’s just what they are “conversation pieces” and that’s ok but don’t deny function over form. Honestly when is the last time you road more than 10 miles? Not too long ago “I’m sure” anyway your road bike is probably dusty and your fat bike is a chore to ride. don’t bother quoting me lol I’m no longer interested in what happens in this thread best of luck.
Tony....I hope I didn't hurt your feelings and maybe you'll come back because who's going to tell me how to spend my $$$ and tell me what's best for me?
I just came back from a completing a 10 mile ride....it only took me 3 days!
I'm converting my Marin into an "Expedition" bike.....can you help me? Once its done I want to ensure it's as good a "conversation piece" as my Cruiser.
Have a nice Ride......
Old 10-14-18, 01:21 PM
tds101 
55+ Club,...

Bikes: 9+,...

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1111 Post(s)
Liked 842 Times in 587 Posts
I would just accept what I’m telling you. I’m trying to upgrade you. I’m looking for fat bikes myself now. I should have one soon. What you really want is to be comfortable at your age. A Bc frame is more stylish but you often wish you could grab a lower gear. The fat tires you have and the disc brakes you wish you had are just conversation pieces in your case. If your not interested in more gears *more speed and like your cruiser frame? Then that’s just what they are “conversation pieces” and that’s ok but don’t deny function over form. I’m trying to trade some road bikes for a fat bike myself. Honestly when is the last time you road more than 10 miles? Not too long ago “I’m sure” anyway your road bike is probably dusty and your fat bike is a chore to ride. Disc brakes would look cool and availability of lower gears and an aluminum frame would be welcomed. Lol don’t bother quoting me lol I’m no longer interested in what happens in this thread best of luck.
Old 10-14-18, 03:41 PM
Speedway2

Originally Posted by tds101

rotflmfao!!!!!