Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets
Reload this Page >

Charging new bike lights via USB killed my laptop

Notices
Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets HRM, GPS, MP3, HID. Whether it's got an acronym or not, here's where you'll find discussions on all sorts of tools, toys and gadgets.

Old 10-18-18, 02:14 PM
surak

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix, Canyon Inflite AL SLX, Ibis Ripley AF, Priority Continuum Onyx, Santana Vision, Kent Dual-Drive Tandem

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 871 Post(s)
Liked 726 Times in 436 Posts

Anything like this happen to anyone else? I bought some rechargeable lights off Amazon that my co-worker recommended because he uses the same kind on his helmet. Plugged them in via micro-USB to my Lenovo Thinkpad and about fifteen minutes later, I saw the charge lights off and thought they'd been fully charged. Nope, turns out my laptop died and won't turn on anymore, despite the power adapter still working and me trying various things like unplugging overnight, disconnecting the battery, etc. I've heard of bad USB-C cables killing electronics, but never USB-B or whatever the old ones are called. Been using my laptop to charge all kinds of electronics without ever having an issue, so although it could be unrelated, it totally makes me suspect that it was one of the new lights' fault.

My Polaroid action cam once disabled most of the USB ports on my work desktop (also Lenovo), but they came back once I hard rebooted, so I do think USB devices have the capability of messing up hardware. Didn't think they could permanently fry a machine though.
Old 10-18-18, 02:18 PM
Juan Foote
LBKA (formerly punkncat)

Bikes: Spec Roubaix SL4, GT Traffic 1.0

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 2208 Post(s)
Liked 960 Times in 686 Posts
Get a new power brick and/or PSU for laptop. Probably required more amps than it could provide.

I use modular power bricks for all that manner of charging requirements.
Old 10-18-18, 02:43 PM
prathmann

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by surak
I do think USB devices have the capability of messing up hardware. Didn't think they could permanently fry a machine though.
Shouldn't be able to damage properly designed ports or the equipment driving them. The USB device you plug in may certainly be looking for a higher current input than can be provided by a given USB port and therefore not be properly charged, but the port design should protect against damage.
Old 10-18-18, 03:52 PM
Shred11

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by prathmann
Shouldn't be able to damage properly designed ports or the equipment driving them..
+1 As an electronics technician and IT person, my experience is that properly designed USB ports are designed to cope with all manner of abuse. It would be a poorly designed laptop that failed any time a user accidentally shorted out the USB socket power pins by plugging in a cable that the dog had chewed on.

It’s almost certainly a co-incidence that the laptop failed right then. If you are really worried, charge the lights with a dedicated USB charger.
Old 10-18-18, 05:23 PM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3221 Post(s)
Liked 2,043 Times in 1,169 Posts
Was the laptop on shore power ?, or where you charging off the laptop battery only ?.

That would kill the battery. Maybe let the laptop charge up for a day, if it still won’t power, you’ve got a dead battery.
Old 10-18-18, 05:38 PM
Marcus_Ti
FLIR Kitten to 0.05C

Bikes: Roadie: Seven Axiom Race Ti w/Chorus 11s. CX/Adventure: Carver Gravel Grinder w/ Di2

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 2349 Post(s)
Liked 406 Times in 254 Posts
So what kind of bike light was this? The USB on device should have prevented exactly this.
Old 10-22-18, 01:48 PM
surak

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix, Canyon Inflite AL SLX, Ibis Ripley AF, Priority Continuum Onyx, Santana Vision, Kent Dual-Drive Tandem

Won't link to the light since it's going back to Amazon and I wouldn't recommend anyone chancing their equipment by buying one, but they were the Akale rechargeable bike light set. My ThinkPad is completely dead, its indicator LED doesn't light up at all when plugged in to the charger. Maybe Lenovo cheaps out on the electronics for the USB subsystem, but a brand new device probably shouldn't be drawing more power than expected and precipitating a total malfunction.
Old 10-23-18, 07:27 AM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,686 Times in 2,509 Posts
you can kill just about every computer through the usb port. It isn't hard to find instructions on how to make a usb killer. I'm surprised that a light would do it though
Old 10-23-18, 09:05 AM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
Won't link to the light since it's going back to Amazon and I wouldn't recommend anyone chancing their equipment by buying one, but they were the Akale rechargeable bike light set. My ThinkPad is completely dead, its indicator LED doesn't light up at all when plugged in to the charger. Maybe Lenovo cheaps out on the electronics for the USB subsystem, but a brand new device probably shouldn't be drawing more power than expected and precipitating a total malfunction.
Have you brought the Lenovo to an authorized repair shop to see what they say?

That is the first step.

-Tim-
Old 10-23-18, 11:28 AM
surak

Nah, it's over 3.5 years old, cost of repairing not worth it, especially since I mainly used it to browse BF and bike deals. In the end, by being unplugged at home I'll probably end up saving money.
Old 10-23-18, 02:26 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
You can buy wall plug USB converters a search found this

Old 10-23-18, 03:35 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
Nah, it's over 3.5 years old, cost of repairing not worth it, especially since I mainly used it to browse BF and bike deals. In the end, by being unplugged at home I'll probably end up saving money.
I would bring it in just to see what they say.

Often the tech will give some good advice or some kind of workaround just chatting about the issue.

They could run the serial number and see if this is a known issue, perhaps point you to others who have experienced the same thing.

If there is a Lenovo shop nearby it might be worth stopping in. Might be a waste of time but it really can't hurt.

-Tim-
Old 10-23-18, 10:03 PM
01 CAt Man Do

Bikes: Mountain bike & Hybrid tour bike

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 183 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
My take on this is that it just might have been a flaw in the Micro USB cable/plug or port. I've seen these plugs malfunction before. Sometimes it's the receiving port and the plug not matching up right. This might be because the plug is old/ bent or some other reason. If it were to short out because of a flaw in the plug or wire I would think it possible it could cause a failure in the circuit that is doing the charging. This is why it's probably a good reason to use a wall USB charger if you have a lot of devices that charge via USB. I'm of the belief that this why you now see the advent of the newer USB-C plugs and ports. With USB-C it doesn't matter which way the plug is turned as it works any way you have it turned. Hopefully USB-C will become the new standard.