Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

Trek Fx-3 Disc vs Cannondale Quick 3

Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

Old 10-23-18, 01:31 PM
Smokeage

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Is there anything that justifies the $80 increase in price in the Quick 3? The only thing I can see is the different groupsets but Sora vs Acera still doesn't seem to justify that on it's own.
Old 10-23-18, 03:15 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,354 Times in 861 Posts
Question 2 different brands of bikes, dude.

compare the cost of all those changes, with the parts cost difference ,
if you chose to change all of them after you bought the bike..
Old 10-23-18, 03:58 PM
Smokeage

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by fietsbob
compare the cost of all those changes, with the parts cost difference ,
if you chose to change all of them after you bought the bike..
So it is just the groupset?

There's really no need for the rest of your reply lmao.
Old 10-23-18, 08:39 PM
ColonelSanders
Banned.

Bikes: 2017 Surly Troll with XT Drive Train, 2017 Merida Big Nine XT Edition, 2016 Giant Toughroad SLR 2, 1995 Trek 830

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1916 Post(s)
Liked 310 Times in 218 Posts
Originally Posted by Smokeage
Is there anything that justifies the $80 increase in price in the Quick 3? The only thing I can see is the different groupsets but Sora vs Acera still doesn't seem to justify that on it's own.

Ideally if you can test ride each, you might find you have a clear preference.

The 2x crankset on the Quick 3 is a good thing in my view, as the crankset on the Trek FX3 isn't that far from being a throwaway item in my view(yes I am being a bit harsh).

The Quick 3's fork tapers from 1 1/4th inches to 1 1/8 inches, so likely a stiffer front end for steering(this is a good thing), but will you be able to tell the difference?

I suspect the Trek FX 3 can fit a wider tyre, so if you want to run 40mm tyres, that is a plus in the Trek column.

The Trek has 12mm thru axle on its front wheel, vs the QR on the Cannondale, so arguably a win for Trek here.

The lowest gear on the Cannondale is 34/22, whilst Trek has 26/34, so if you are facing steep hills, the Trek is better set up here.

The Cannondale is also 2lbs lighter than the Trek, with probably close to 1 of those pounds being in the crankset.

Without having ever ridden either bike, I have a sneaking suspicion that the Cannondale has a nicer ride feel to it if they both have 30mm tyres, but as I mentioned previously, the Trek FX 3 will allow you to fit wider tyres and this might then change which bike rides better.
Old 10-24-18, 01:04 PM
Smokeage

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ColonelSanders
Ideally if you can test ride each, you might find you have a clear preference.

The 2x crankset on the Quick 3 is a good thing in my view, as the crankset on the Trek FX3 isn't that far from being a throwaway item in my view(yes I am being a bit harsh).

The Quick 3's fork tapers from 1 1/4th inches to 1 1/8 inches, so likely a stiffer front end for steering(this is a good thing), but will you be able to tell the difference?

I suspect the Trek FX 3 can fit a wider tyre, so if you want to run 40mm tyres, that is a plus in the Trek column.

The Trek has 12mm thru axle on its front wheel, vs the QR on the Cannondale, so arguably a win for Trek here.

The lowest gear on the Cannondale is 34/22, whilst Trek has 26/34, so if you are facing steep hills, the Trek is better set up here.

The Cannondale is also 2lbs lighter than the Trek, with probably close to 1 of those pounds being in the crankset.

Without having ever ridden either bike, I have a sneaking suspicion that the Cannondale has a nicer ride feel to it if they both have 30mm tyres, but as I mentioned previously, the Trek FX 3 will allow you to fit wider tyres and this might then change which bike rides better.
Thanks for the response. I've seen your posts around here a few times and I always look forward to reading them.