Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electric Bikes
Reload this Page >

e-bike advice ?

Search
Notices
Electric Bikes Here's a place to discuss ebikes, from home grown to high-tech.

e-bike advice ?

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-18, 02:55 PM
badangel

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
e-bike advice ?

Hi guys . I am working in uber eats... I am looking an e- bike. Bike's battery is so important for me. I am riding between 6-8 hours in a day. What kind e-bike could be better u think ? Thanks
Old 08-30-18, 09:07 PM
MikeDD

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
You need to go to www.electricbikereview.com
Old 08-31-18, 09:33 AM
nfmisso
Nigel

Bikes: 1980s and 1990s steel: CyclePro, Nishiki, Schwinn, SR, Trek........

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 384 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
A really BIG lithium battery.

My extremely conservative rule for commuting is 50Wh per mile - most people consume between 8 to 25 Wh mile; I like to have a LOT of reserve, as the personal cost to be to lose battery power is very high. Wh = Watt-hour = Amp-hour x Volts.

How far are you going to go in a shift?

What sort of hills are you going to encounter?

Is there a possibility of charging or swapping batteries during your shift?

Your power consumption is likely to be on the high end per mile because of the frequent stops, heavier weight and lots of low speed acceleration.
Old 08-31-18, 10:34 AM
Doc_Wui

Bikes: GT Transeo & a half dozen ebike conversions.

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 340 Post(s)
Liked 275 Times in 192 Posts
Badangel, how many miles do you ride now in a typical 6 hour day? How fast do you go? What's the budget? We have to assume you're pretty fit, to spend that much time riding.

The big bike makers want to sell $3000 ebikes to customers that mainly ride a bit on weekends or after work. A few might commute to work. I don't think this kind of bike makes sense for food delivery. I would want a bike that uses off-the-shelf ebike batteries so I could have a spare for $300-400, and not be paying bike shop prices of $800-1000. With a spare battery, you can carry it or have it on charge. Also I'd want something inexpensive and ugly to mitigate theft. It's going to have a throttle to save energy getting started from stops. It's going to have pedal assist for efficiency.
Old 09-03-18, 01:35 AM
badangel

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Doc_Wui
Badangel, how many miles do you ride now in a typical 6 hour day? How fast do you go? What's the budget? We have to assume you're pretty fit, to spend that much time riding.

The big bike makers want to sell $3000 ebikes to customers that mainly ride a bit on weekends or after work. A few might commute to work. I don't think this kind of bike makes sense for food delivery. I would want a bike that uses off-the-shelf ebike batteries so I could have a spare for $300-400, and not be paying bike shop prices of $800-1000. With a spare battery, you can carry it or have it on charge. Also I'd want something inexpensive and ugly to mitigate theft. It's going to have a throttle to save energy getting started from stops. It's going to have pedal assist for efficiency.
300-400 $ for a e-bike . Which one is it ?
Old 09-03-18, 07:55 AM
dilkes

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by badangel

300-400 $ for a e-bike . Which one is it ?
I believe he was suggesting $300-$400 for a spare battery only, not for a bike.
Old 09-04-18, 09:41 PM
badangel

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Could u give me an advice about used e bike ?
Old 09-04-18, 09:59 PM
1nterceptor
LET'S ROLL

Bikes: 2014 BMC Gran Fondo, 2013 Brompton S6L-X

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 306 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 33 Posts
Craigslist.
Old 09-04-18, 10:19 PM
2old

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 883 Post(s)
Liked 823 Times in 622 Posts
Could u give me an advice about used e bike ?
The battery, frequently the most expensive part of an ebike, possibly is toast on a used bike. Make sure the bike you choose has a "fresh" battery or the bike is cheap enough that it's a good deal even if you need to buy a new battery. DW is much better than I am telling you how to assess the battery. IMO, a new system would be preferable to used.
Old 09-05-18, 02:51 AM
ELECYCLES

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi guys . I am working in uber eats... I am looking an e- bike. Bike's battery is so important for me. I am riding between 6-8 hours in a day. What kind e-bike could be better u think ? Thanks
For such a long-time riding, you could choose a 250W electric bike or conversion kits with pedal assistance.
The battery should be with big capacity or with dual battery.
Old 09-07-18, 07:59 AM
drowling23

Bikes: R&M Delite GX Rohloff, Crescent Elgar 27,5 FS, Haibike SDURO HardFour 4.0

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You really need to specify the distances and the speed you need. Even a Bosch DualBattery setup with 1kWh will only give you 100km in Sport mode (200km on eco), which may or may not be enough for your purposes.
Also need to know your budget. Best recommendation I can give is a Yamaha-equipped bike with a custom made battery. Alternatively, buy any type of motor and get some extra batteries to carry with you. Each battery weighs 2kg which is insignificant compared to your own weight.
Old 09-08-18, 01:24 PM
badangel

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I wonder to motocycle e bikes. My friend told me battery goes 7 hours. It is amazing
Old 09-18-18, 09:36 PM
3speed

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 363 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 22 Posts
I just went through this exact process. I’m also delivering by bike and decided to try an e-bike. I’m glad I built my own from a kit rather than buying off the shelf. I would recommend a geared rear hub motor kit with pedal assist and throttle, and separate battery(the biggest you can get). If you split up your day into lunch and dinner shifts, I think you can get away with a 20Ah battery assuming you don’t mind still pedaling with no motor down declines(slight ones where it’s pretty easy to do 18mph on your regular bike) and using a mix of motor and leg power for flats. I wouldn’t go less than 20Ah. If you want something where you don’t split the day and want to head out for 7hrs straight, you’ll need a bigger battery depending in how much you wanna pedal power it. Don’t get a direct drive motor. If you are riding along with no motor and hit the throttle for some help, it will actually resist you until you get the throttle to the right point where it’s doing Slightly more work than you. I think it would be perfectly fine and great for back and forth commuting of 10mi per day or something, but sucks for constant stop and go delivering all day. If I fight the motor too much my knees will actually start to get sore, which never happens on my regular bike. I’ll be investing in a geared hub motor. I don’t think an off the shelf bike would be good for delivering unless you’d prefer to throw down serious money on a nice bike with major milage rather than build a kit. I hope that helps coming from the perspective of likely the same needs from the bike.
Old 09-19-18, 07:05 AM
rmueller

Bikes: Catrike Villager with Golden Motor Magic Pie Edge

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Check out ebikemaps.com, You can 'test' any number of ebikes over the courses you normally would ride and compare the results (how much effort, how the battery will perform...etc.). Once you zero in on a couple of choices, go out and ride them at the lbs.
Old 09-26-18, 01:35 PM
Khb

Bikes: Stromer ST-1; Gary Fisher SAAB edition; Dahon Speed D7; Motobecane Grand Touring 1972

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
many wise words elided ....

How big/heavy are the loads? You might well want a cargo style bike, and/or front and back racks (I have a Stromer, standard rack on the back, a Thule on the front). Do you need shocks to keep the food from potholes? Once you get past determining what frame/shocks will work for you, then test ride a bunch of bikes (ideally, with a model load). DIY may be cheaper, if you are skilled. If you go for off the shelf, plan to invest in a second or third battery. Ideally, cache battery+charger at one of the friendly resturants you do the most business with. Swap batteries long before you run low.

As much fun as Class 3 bikes are, with the range you desire, I'd stick with Class 1 (2 if you really need a throttle).

Oh, you might consider a Burley Travoy ... with soft sided cooler(s) it might be useful. But note, it's pretty narrow (good in that it feels like it's not there, narrower than my shoulders ;>) which might not work for your food loads. A regular trailer (e.g. the Burley cargo trailer) is more flexible ... but much more annoying to park, back-up, etc.

FWIW, over 10K miles, I've averaged <!--td {border: 1px solid #ccc;**br {mso-data-placement:same-cell;**-->0.0269 kwh/mi on my Stromer. I have only a few data points for my wife's new Haibike, but that does seem to be about 2x as efficient (Class 3 vs. 1). Older bikes (and less expensive ones to this day, and probably all DIY) base their dynamic range forecast on voltage. That's pretty poor for LiON batteries ... so bear that in mind as you manage your "state of charge" during a long work day.
Old 09-28-18, 06:33 AM
Tino Tino

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Every delivery guy in Manhattan use the same ebike for delivery, Arrow something. You can find the thread on endless sphere.
Old 10-12-18, 09:59 PM
lkoyanagi

Bikes: Tern D7e

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
You can hook up a second connector for a second battery with an A-B switch for nonstop riding or carry an extra battery in backpack, on rack or in pannier.

I dont think there are single bike batteries that last 8 hours. Drainage is significant, so far.

There are industrial polyester long life batteries that are being adapted for consumer use, slowly, because of cost of R&D. Lithium-ion is widespread now with ni-cad bringing up the rear.
Old 10-26-18, 08:19 AM
Joey21

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Jueshuai 48V 500W Electric Bike s900 26" 48V 12AH

More or less the same bikes the NYC delivery guys ride. We bought one and it has been really good. I changed out the stem and handle bars for a more relaxed posture than the flat bar the bike came with. Its marketed as a mtn bike but there is not much mtn in this bike. It is fine on dirt/grass/mud/wet roads. I posted this same answer in another thread. I don't sell these bikes and I'm not connected to the company in any way. Just like this bike.

I have also seen it marketed as "DJ Bikes Electric Mountain Bike" but some details are different (display, motor, some controls). I think the Jueshuai is nicer.
Old 10-29-18, 12:03 AM
lkoyanagi

Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
As well as distance that some batteries lives are gauged by.

My ebike shop owner said, if I need more distance, he can add another battery with a switch. Otherwise, a bus or reroute on flats may work. Try to power down with tail winds and streamline your clothing as a practice.

Try to use the lowest power setting, even zero, and off and appropriate gear, when possible. On cooler days or times, you can expend more leg energy. It is critical you think of preserving battery power all the time depending on conditions.

You can even have fresh batteries on chargers at your turnaround destination. In the future, longer lasting batteries may be available.
Old 10-29-18, 01:21 AM
lkoyanagi

Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
Consider a throttle. Some municipalities say its illegal or change registration to a non bike level.
Throttles are illegal due to the danger to others for unexpected activation, which I experienced with a cheap switch. There are different switches. Do not activate it while off the bike.

Consider disc brakes and fatter tires, if a powerful motor. Consider battery distance not time to depletion. Your computer will tell distance traveled and remaining power.
Old 10-30-18, 10:15 AM
Joey21

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Smaller motor and bigger battery. If I pin the throttle on my "big" bike the battery takes a hit. If I pin the throttle on my son's 500W bike the battery hardly notices. If you can get by with a 250W or 350W motor, it will last longer per charge. My son's bike uses a "silverfish" style battery incorporated into the frame behind the seat post. Would be really easy to add another battery to the water bottle mount on the diagonal bar at the bottom of the triangle and even a third cargo rack battery. Of course the bike would weigh about the same as a boat anchor and its value would be significant based only on the cost of the batteries. Still that would be a 48V ~50-60AH battery all together. Considering his 500W bike can last 40 miles with a 12AH battery he could potentially go 200 miles per charge on a 60AH battery.