Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets
Reload this Page >

I want to talk about incandescent lighting

Search
Notices
Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets HRM, GPS, MP3, HID. Whether it's got an acronym or not, here's where you'll find discussions on all sorts of tools, toys and gadgets.

I want to talk about incandescent lighting

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-18, 12:06 PM
agmetal

Bikes: Bianchi Volpe, ANT 3-speed roadster, New Albion Privateer singlespeed, Raleigh One Way singlespeed, Raleigh Professional "retro roadie" rebuild, 198? Fuji(?) franken-5-speed, 1937 Raleigh Tourist, 1952 Raleigh Sports, 1966 Raleigh Sports step-through

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 248 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 18 Posts
Originally Posted by steelbikeguy
oohh! That looks pretty good! Any idea who makes it or where it came from?

Maybe there's interest in an external electronic circuit that could rectify the AC power, convert it down to the 3V (or up to whatever voltage it needs?), and provide a standlight function?

Neat lights too! Was that a standard style for that era? They look suited to the roadster style bike... a bit heavy, but rugged.

Steve in Peoria
This is the bulb I used: https://www.ledlight.com/e10-screw-b...led-light.aspx
I recommend getting a few - they're a bit fragile, I had a couple actually break just from installing them! (The wires connecting the LEDs to the screw base).

I would like to try to set up some sort of smoothing/standlight circuit for it, but ideally it'd be something that can be hidden inside the body of the light itself.

As far as I know, that was a pretty typical style for the era, although I believe the light I have is actually the lighter-weight version. There was another version with two bulbs for different amounts of brightness and a switch to select between them
Old 11-03-18, 02:16 PM
steelbikeguy

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 1827 Post(s)
Liked 3,367 Times in 1,573 Posts
Originally Posted by agmetal
This is the bulb I used: https://www.ledlight.com/e10-screw-b...led-light.aspx
I recommend getting a few - they're a bit fragile, I had a couple actually break just from installing them! (The wires connecting the LEDs to the screw base).

I would like to try to set up some sort of smoothing/standlight circuit for it, but ideally it'd be something that can be hidden inside the body of the light itself.

As far as I know, that was a pretty typical style for the era, although I believe the light I have is actually the lighter-weight version. There was another version with two bulbs for different amounts of brightness and a switch to select between them
this looks to be a better/proper URL for the LED bulb that you've got....
https://www.ledlight.com/e10-screw-b...ight-bulb.aspx

In the best case scenario, it will draw nearly a watt. With a bike dynamo, it'll be less. Hard to say by how much.
You should be able to improve things by wiring a full wave rectifier between the dynamo and bulb, since the bulb is advertised as being designed for DC power and not AC.
Adding a capacitor at the output of the full wave rectifier should reduce flicker. Without being able to make some measurements, I can't tell what voltage the capacitor should be rated for. A guess would be 15V. A supercap would help provide a standlight, but they are typically rated for 5.5V or less. There are ways of configuring more that one supercap to handle higher voltages, but it gets more expensive and complicated.

Steve in Peoria
Old 11-03-18, 03:30 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Seems a trend to overdrive LED, for brighter output but they need heatsinks

so a screw in incandescent substitute will be more be seen,

than see clearly by in the dark minus streetlights (?)