Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

Do You Always Wear a Helmet?

Search
Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.
View Poll Results: When do you not wear your helmet on your rides?
Always. On every single ride no matter where, how long or how fast.
69.16%
All the time except for short rides
9.35%
All the time except for slow rides
5.61%
All the time except for rides on back streets with no traffic
5.61%
I never wear a helmet
17.76%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 107. You may not vote on this poll

Do You Always Wear a Helmet?

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-18, 10:19 AM
Roughstuff
Punk Rock Lives

Location: Throughout the west in a van, on my bike, and in the forest

Bikes: Long Haul Trucker with BRIFTERS!

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 39 Posts
HAven't studies shown that many helmets are more aerodynamic than a plain noggin', and also cooler because they keep the sun directly off my bald head...or mop of hair if ya got one?

I leave helmet decisions to each user, and respect them both....but I always felt a helmet can prevent a silly accident from turning into a serious one.
Old 09-30-18, 12:49 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,536 Times in 1,045 Posts
Originally Posted by Roughstuff
HAven't studies shown that many helmets are more aerodynamic than a plain noggin', and also cooler because they keep the sun directly off my bald head...or mop of hair if ya got one?
Probably no credible studies have indicated any such advantage to bicyclists, but I'm sure a BF Googling trivia maven will seeek some sort of cryptic reference to a so-called "study" that might hint at such a result.
Old 09-30-18, 09:07 PM
zen_

Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked 88 Times in 55 Posts
I always wear mine, but what others do is their business.
Old 10-01-18, 05:34 AM
bobwysiwyg

Bikes: Mongoose Selous, Trek DS

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 941 Post(s)
Liked 319 Times in 189 Posts
...but I always felt a helmet can prevent a silly accident from turning into a serious one.
+1, This,
Old 10-31-18, 08:25 AM
subgrade

Bikes: Focus Crater Lake

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 391 Post(s)
Liked 337 Times in 204 Posts
I have never worn a helmet. Have never had a crash in which it would had mattered... until recently.
Well, I guess, a helmet wouldn't have helped me to go completely unscathed this time (other than a full-face helmet), but probably the consequences would have been less severe. I went over the bars at around 18 mph and landed face first on concrete, resulting in several facial fractures (LeFort type II fracture, involving nasal bone, maxilla, cheekbones) and a light concussion. A helmet most probably wouldn't have prevented all the injuries, as it doesn't cover the face, but it protrudes on forehead and so would have altered the geometry of impact, possibly minimizing the injury.

I guess I'll be shopping for a helmet now.
Old 10-31-18, 03:08 PM
KraneXL

Bikes: Cannondale Quick SL1 Bike - 2014

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 3405 Post(s)
Liked 240 Times in 185 Posts
Originally Posted by zen_
I always wear mine, but what others do is their business.
As long as its an adult of sound mind, I'd get in line to help defend their right to make that choice as long as I'm not paying for it.
Old 10-31-18, 04:52 PM
mr_bill

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 2112 Post(s)
Liked 663 Times in 443 Posts
Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike
Probably no credible studies have indicated any such advantage to bicyclists, but I'm sure a BF Googling trivia maven will seeek some sort of cryptic reference to a so-called "study" that might hint at such a result.
Not as aero as a velomobile, with or without a helmet, which would matter if there was a UVI.

UCI requires certified helmets and requires diamond frame bicycles of a minimum weight. Triathalons have a different set of regulations but also requires certified helmets. So why would someone bother to comparison test an aero helmet versus a bald head? For the one bald serious cyclist commuting to work who has more aero drag from their array of lights?

Now shaved legs is a completely different subject. Lots of words have been written and published on hairy legs because click bait.

But of course, mumble mumble MARKETING mumble LAWYERS mumble SO-CALLED STUDIES etc GULLIBLE blah blah blah....

Finally, last I knew nobody requires you to wear an aero helmet.

-mr. bill
Old 11-01-18, 09:40 PM
wipekitty
vespertine member

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 687 Post(s)
Liked 220 Times in 163 Posts
Originally Posted by dabac

I may also ignore the helmet when doing a test ride down the street.
Yep, that's about the only time I don't wear a helmet. That, and going distances of maybe .2 miles between buildings at the university where I work when I'm too lazy to walk.

Back over 10 years ago, I wore a helmet only about 1 of 20 times I went out on my bike. One day, when I had decided to actually wear my helmet, I got left hooked by a minivan. That was enough for me.
Old 11-01-18, 11:27 PM
Rollfast
What happened?

Bikes: 3 Rollfasts, 3 Schwinns, a Shelby and a Higgins Flightliner in a pear tree!

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1835 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 255 Posts
No, but I always wear clothes. Trust me, it's appreciated.
Old 11-02-18, 01:33 AM
bogydave

Bikes: /Skye/ Torker mt, Sirrus flat bar

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 10 Posts
Almost always,
don’t have a specific reason for when I don’t
Old 11-03-18, 08:00 AM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7652 Post(s)
Liked 3,478 Times in 1,836 Posts
Originally Posted by subgrade
A helmet most probably wouldn't have prevented all the injuries, as it doesn't cover the face, but it protrudes on forehead and so would have altered the geometry of impact, possibly minimizing the injury. .
or it might have twisted your head back that all-important inch and snapped your neck.or it might have lifted your forehead, thereby levering your face harder into the pavement. Or it might have increased the impact on your nose and jaws.

No way to know.

Wear a helmet if you like.
Old 11-03-18, 08:11 AM
Cuyuna

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I wear a helmet while mountain biking and often wear one while road biking, but not always.
Old 11-03-18, 08:16 AM
jon c. 

Quoted: 1591 Post(s)
Liked 1,018 Times in 571 Posts
I would certainly think they're more aero. But I think you'd have to tailor the conditions of the study to demonstrate that they keep you cooler. Under most conditions, there's no way that could be true based on personal experience.
Old 11-03-18, 08:33 AM
Wilmingtech

Bikes: 2013 Ridley Helium, 2017 Blue Pro-Secco EX, 1987 Schwinn Super Sport

Quoted: 211 Post(s)
Liked 101 Times in 73 Posts
I did some work on a bike for an older friend. She came over to pick up her bike and wanted to take a quick test ride before leaving. She did not bring her helmet with her when she came to pick up the bike. I offered her one of ours but we had already walked out to the road at that point. And she was just going a 1/4 mile down around the corner and back.

About 10-15 minutes later wondering if she took it for a longer ride, I sent my son and his friend down the street to find her (they were riding their bikes up and down the driveway). They found her lying on the side of the road, right where she would have turned the bike around to come back. There were no cars on the road and she wouldnt have been going more than 8mph in a straight line.

She had a concussion, didnt recognize anyone or know what was going on. We ran her to the hospital and she turned out to be okay.

Moral of the story is, it doesnt take much to knock your noggin. I would love riding without a helmet but it only takes one time, a pebble, pinecone, wet leaves or a "Tombe" and you can knock yourself a good one.
Old 11-03-18, 09:00 AM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Originally Posted by Wilmingtech
Moral of the story is, it doesnt take much to knock your noggin. I would love riding without a helmet but it only takes one time, a pebble, pinecone, wet leaves or a "Tombe" and you can knock yourself a good one.
WRONG. "Morl" is the wrong word to start with ... this isn't a fabl;e, meant to edify, to teach a moral lesson. The "Lesson:" You took from this is that riding without a helmet is dangerous.

That is the Wrong lesson.

The lessons actually borne out by this event are that A.) Cycling is Always a risk (no one knows if wearing a helmet would have helped, anyway.)

B.) Life is fatal, invariably. And before it kills you it can hurt you at any time.

C.) People can be hurt in a lot of ways ... at any time. False feelings of safety are false.

D.) People who cannot manage riding bikes without crashing for no reason should not be riding bikes.

E.) Learn to fall, so that a sub-8-mph fall (which really shouldn't happen anyway) isn't catastrophic.

F.) The Big One----ALWAYS pay attention when cycling. At 8 mph a person has plenty of time to see whatever road hazards might be upcoming, and should be in complete control of the bike. If the rider was careless, got distracted, whatever .... it could have happened when she was going two or three times as fast ... and there isn't any helmet that is going to take the edge off That crash.

Basically, this lady did the equivalent of getting into her car in the driveway, putting the car in "Drive" instead" of "Reverse", floored it, and drove into her own home. Safety equipment isn't the answer ... care, caution, and attention are.

Rather than look at the outcome ... look for the causes. Better Not to crash for avoidable causes than to crash and be only slightly injured, eh?

While driving a car I was hit from behind at high speed while stopped in stop-and-go traffic. I was hit so hard the seat broke, and I hit the wheel with my chest and the windshield with my head.

Is the "moral" that I should always wear a helmet while driving? Or is it that driving is dangerous? Or is it more that, "Stuff happens." ?

It is funny that the people who think that wearing a helmet while riding is a huge safety advantage, never wear helmets while driving.

================

I am not saying "Don't wear a helmet." I am just asking people not to justify wearing helmets with silly reasons.

By the way, personal experience has taught me that helmets do Not prevent concussions.
Old 11-03-18, 03:52 PM
KraneXL

Bikes: Cannondale Quick SL1 Bike - 2014

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 3405 Post(s)
Liked 240 Times in 185 Posts
We do know that wearing a helmet is more likely to be beneficial than it is to do harm. When it comes to your safety, that should be enough.
Old 11-03-18, 04:11 PM
Wilmingtech

Bikes: 2013 Ridley Helium, 2017 Blue Pro-Secco EX, 1987 Schwinn Super Sport

Quoted: 211 Post(s)
Liked 101 Times in 73 Posts
Originally Posted by Maelochs
WRONG. "Morl" is the wrong word to start with ... this isn't a fabl;e, meant to edify, to teach a moral lesson. The "Lesson:" You took from this is that riding without a helmet is dangerous.

That is the Wrong lesson.

The lessons actually borne out by this event are that A.) Cycling is Always a risk (no one knows if wearing a helmet would have helped, anyway.)

B.) Life is fatal, invariably. And before it kills you it can hurt you at any time.

C.) People can be hurt in a lot of ways ... at any time. False feelings of safety are false.

D.) People who cannot manage riding bikes without crashing for no reason should not be riding bikes.

E.) Learn to fall, so that a sub-8-mph fall (which really shouldn't happen anyway) isn't catastrophic.

F.) The Big One----ALWAYS pay attention when cycling. At 8 mph a person has plenty of time to see whatever road hazards might be upcoming, and should be in complete control of the bike. If the rider was careless, got distracted, whatever .... it could have happened when she was going two or three times as fast ... and there isn't any helmet that is going to take the edge off That crash.

Basically, this lady did the equivalent of getting into her car in the driveway, putting the car in "Drive" instead" of "Reverse", floored it, and drove into her own home. Safety equipment isn't the answer ... care, caution, and attention are.

Rather than look at the outcome ... look for the causes. Better Not to crash for avoidable causes than to crash and be only slightly injured, eh?

While driving a car I was hit from behind at high speed while stopped in stop-and-go traffic. I was hit so hard the seat broke, and I hit the wheel with my chest and the windshield with my head.

Is the "moral" that I should always wear a helmet while driving? Or is it that driving is dangerous? Or is it more that, "Stuff happens." ?

It is funny that the people who think that wearing a helmet while riding is a huge safety advantage, never wear helmets while driving.

================

I am not saying "Don't wear a helmet." I am just asking people not to justify wearing helmets with silly reasons.

By the way, personal experience has taught me that helmets do Not prevent concussions.
i spent a few minutes trying to understand your reply.

Then I read this -
hit the wheel with my chest and the windshield with my head.
And this -
And then it all made sense.

Sorry that you hit your head.
Old 11-03-18, 04:27 PM
Maelochs

Originally Posted by Wilmingtech
i spent a few minutes trying to understand your reply.

Then I read this -

And this -

And then it all made sense.

Sorry that you hit your head.
I very much appreciate your response.