Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

Bicyclists v. motorists ends in violence in Albuquerque

Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Bicyclists v. motorists ends in violence in Albuquerque

Old 11-17-18, 10:09 AM
Juan Foote
LBKA (formerly punkncat)

Bikes: Spec Roubaix SL4, GT Traffic 1.0

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2208 Post(s)
Liked 960 Times in 686 Posts
Originally Posted by CB HI
Colorado State Patrol has a reporting website and will actually do something about this type of driver. The video for proof is a bonus for them.
I truly wish it were that way here. I have called for various issues on the bike, got lightly "struck" by a mirror in front OF a cop, and even called to report having a gun brandished at me. These events happened in three different county/cities and basically got brushed off each time. A good friend of mine got assaulted by an off duty cop while on bike, almost run over by his truck WITH video proof and got brushed off.
Where riding in GA (wasn't) nearly as dangerous recently than it has been in the past cyclists are still not a high priority to the law. Unfortunately the teeth of the 'drive and text' law, or it's application, have not been strong enough to deter the roads looking like a bunch of drunk people riding around. I don't ride on many surface streets any more.
Old 11-17-18, 10:46 AM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7628 Post(s)
Liked 3,451 Times in 1,823 Posts
Going to the cops is Step one. if you have video, go to the local TV news station that has an "Action reporter' or whatever. or .. go online in a big way, hit all the social media sites.

People who want change work for change. people who give up at the first obstacle get the same mistreatment endlessly.
Old 11-17-18, 01:15 PM
CB HI
Cycle Year Round

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1316 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 59 Posts
Originally Posted by Kedosto

You didn’t miss anything. Well, you didn’t miss anything except the point. But then, judging by your reply, I’m pretty sure the point I was making doesn’t really matter. No worries.

-Kedosto
Is a pointless diatribe a point?
Old 11-17-18, 02:07 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Is a pointless diatribe a point?
not to people who miss the point ... but then, it is only "pointless' to people who miss the point. Specific perceptions create one's perception of reality---Perception does Not create reality.
Old 11-17-18, 09:11 PM
CB HI
Cycle Year Round

Originally Posted by Maelochs
not to people who miss the point ... but then, it is only "pointless' to people who miss the point. Specific perceptions create one's perception of reality---Perception does Not create reality.
You jump from point vs pointless to perception vs reality which appears to have no point, but maybe that is your point, that your post is pointless.
Old 11-17-18, 09:18 PM
Maelochs

Sometimes "It doesn't make sense" really means, 'II don't get it."

Sometimes "It has no point" really means, "I can't figure it out."

No matter. Enjoy the weekend.
Old 11-17-18, 10:41 PM
Teamprovicycle
Banned

Bikes: Specialized tarmac sl2 giant tcx zero

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 319 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
If you can carry and a person advances at you , with a weapon , and you fire on them , you will be OK . just give them a low vocal warning.
Old 11-18-18, 03:11 AM
Maelochs

Originally Posted by Teamprovicycle
If you can carry and a person advances at you , with a weapon , and you fire on them , you will be OK . just give them a low vocal warning.
I don't really want to get too serious about suggesting this option .... I think it makes a Lot more sense to just let it go than to shoot and kill a person for being an jerk ... because ammo is so expensive.

But if I ever hit the lottery .... Everybody better look out.
Old 11-18-18, 08:54 AM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Bikes: Lynskey GR300, Lynskey Backroad, Litespeed T6, Lynskey MT29, Burley Duet

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 2131 Post(s)
Liked 1,639 Times in 822 Posts
Originally Posted by JoeyBike
No clue about the current mayhem but...

I have a story.

30 years ago I was on a 2-Day overnight bike tour with a local touring club. Most of us knew each other but every year for this ride there were always a few new faces. Three new guys from up in the Louisiana country near the Mississippi border joined us. Nice guys, talked funny. So Day-1 we all stop for lunch (30 cyclists, SAG, etc) and the three new guys didn't like the place we were eating so they continued on up old Highway 51 north of Manchac, LA. Before long a ratty pickup truck came up behind them blowing the horn because the three dudes from up-the-country were riding three abreast on this deserted 2-lane highway where the pickup could have easily just gone around them. But Noooooo. Everybody starts cussin' and middle fingers were flying wild until the pickup truck passed them, slammed on the brakes, and hit reverse. He took out ALL THREE of the cyclists. Then left the scene.

Our SAG had to take the three dummies to the nearest ER, so the rest of our day was SAG-free. Made a police report yada yada. Caught the driver of the pickup truck at a bar in Ponchatoula, LA just ten miles north of the "accident". He parked the truck right up front like he had no worries. Got arrested. No clue what happened after that report I got from our SAG driver that evening.

So....Redneck meet Hillbillys. The results are predictable.

For some reason out and backs are much more boring to me, but 51 is an ideal bicycling road. I ride center lane or side by side when I ride it, but because I know how very butthurt a motorists can get if they have to move over on account of a cyclist, I drift over onto the shoulder on the rare occasions a car comes up from behind.

Last edited by Paul Barnard; 11-18-18 at 08:58 AM.
Old 11-18-18, 09:28 AM
GrainBrain

Bikes: LeMond Zurich, Giant Talon 29er

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1218 Post(s)
Liked 609 Times in 458 Posts
The older I get the more I realize that there's a large amount of people that are far out crazy and intensely obsessed with violence. Or maybe not violence but pure psychopathic tendencies. A perceived slight must be met with an absolute response, and the consequences of those actions are insignificant.

We love riding bikes, we don't want something to come in the way of this.

The persons in the vehicle love violence, going to jail is a respectable right of passage. A vacation from life's obligations. I keep this in mind and try to keep to myself. Sprinting up hills helps to blow off steam.

​​​​​​
Old 11-18-18, 10:16 AM
JoeyBike
20+mph Commuter

Bikes: Surly LHT, Surly Lowside, a folding bike, and a beater.

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1422 Post(s)
Liked 315 Times in 210 Posts
Originally Posted by Paul Barnard
For some reason out and backs are much more boring to me, but 51 is an ideal bicycling road. I ride center lane or side by side when I ride it, but because I know how very butthurt a motorists can get if they have to move over on account of a cyclist, I drift over onto the shoulder on the rare occasions a car comes up from behind.
We were doing a 2-Day around the lake ride. Clockwise. They made it about 1/4 of the way before the incident.

Last edited by JoeyBike; 11-18-18 at 10:33 AM.
Old 11-18-18, 10:32 AM
Fahrenheit531 
52psi

Bikes: Schwinn Volare ('78); Raleigh Competition GS ('79)

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 790 Post(s)
Liked 800 Times in 390 Posts
Originally Posted by tyrion
Don't bring a bicycle to a truck fight.
A race bike in any era is a highly personal choice that at its "best" balances the requirements of fit, weight, handling, durability and cost tempered by the willingness to toss it and oneself down the pavement at considerable speed. ~Bandera
Old 11-18-18, 11:51 AM
CB HI
Cycle Year Round

Originally Posted by JoeyBike
Somebody driving a motor vehicle almost hits me weekly. If Words were exchanged every time I would certainly have been shot by now.

Whenever you ride a bike in traffic there is a long list of things you should EXPECT to happen out there. Close passes are in the Top 3, if not #1 on the list. If they did it on purpose, a reaction is what they WANT. If you didn't already know this, know it now, accept it, make peace with it, or surely your ride will be frustrating if not deadly.

In other words: Keep your trap shut and fingers on the handlebars. Close passes are part of the program.
Advice from the guy that yelled at a pedestrian after he hit him and refused to acknowledge the existence of unmarked crosswalks.
Old 11-18-18, 12:42 PM
JoeyBike
20+mph Commuter

Advice from the guy that yelled at a pedestrian after he hit him and refused to acknowledge the existence of unmarked crosswalks.
Not sure what this has to do with this thread. In fact, it shines a light on just the opposite of how people can resolve issues without stabbing each other. For those not familiar:

Drunk dude crossed the street without looking right in front of me at a corner of a very narrow street where HE had a stop sign and I had no sign - I yielded right of way regardless. As I went around behind him he swung around 180* without warning and stepped right in front of me with his back to me - "Hey, I forgot my teeth at the bar!' style. My front wheel went right between his legs and he wisely relaxed and just let me ride him on my handlebars about 10 yards until I could stop. I put him down on his feet. My headlight setup was damaged (Nightsun Pro - Bright as a motorcycle that he did not see) and hurt the guy's lower back. The FIRST THING i said was "Are you OK?" He said his back hurt. I could see why. Then I said: "You should watch where you're going?" He said "Yeah, Yeah" and continued on his way, as did I.

Had I been driving any motor vehicle, other than a motor cycle, at the same speed, the drunk would be dead or severely damaged. I can't save them all.

BTW, this happened about 10 years ago. No one brandished deadly weapons, threats, or posturing. What is the point? Random personal attack on me? I don't care.

Last edited by JoeyBike; 11-18-18 at 12:50 PM.
Old 11-19-18, 11:30 AM
sirkaos

Bikes: 2017 Specialized Roubaix Expert, Surley Karate Monkey 29er hard tail

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
No, you are absolutely right. Instead of recording and reporting the incident, catching their breaths, shaking their heads, and completing their enjoyable father/son bike ride ... MUCH better to start a fight and get nearly stabbed to death. Obviously getting nearly stabbed to death with your child is a great bonding experience.
First off, I hope they are recovering from their injuries. Well wishes and hope they are back on their bikes soon.

Secondly, We have two injured cyclists. We have a newspaper article. No video of the incident.

The second post after the OP is to give instructions on what they should have done??? No inquiry on the current condition or well wishes??? Where are the priorities here? Get better soon or "Sorry you were the victim in a horrendous act, but YOU should not have said anything to them when they almost hit you"

Maybe we should show a bit of compassion first before we start shoveling all the "Good Advice" on them. We really have not confirmed what was said or not said.
Old 11-19-18, 11:38 AM
jadocs

Bikes: Ti, Mn Cr Ni Mo Nb, Al, C

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 942 Post(s)
Liked 526 Times in 349 Posts
If you are going to confront someone, you need to be prepared to get physical (self defense). If you are unprepared, then it's best just to report it. You cannot assume the other party is going to be reasonable or act the way you think they are going to act. This is how these things happen.
Old 11-19-18, 11:45 AM
Clyde1820

Bikes: 1996 Trek 970 ZX Single Track 2x11

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 610 Post(s)
Liked 558 Times in 423 Posts
Originally Posted by sirkaos
First off, I hope they are recovering from their injuries. Well wishes and hope they are back on their bikes soon.

Secondly, We have two injured cyclists. We have a newspaper article. No video of the incident.

The second post after the OP is to give instructions on what they should have done??? No inquiry on the current condition or well wishes??? Where are the priorities here? Get better soon or "Sorry you were the victim in a horrendous act, but YOU should not have said anything to them when they almost hit you"

Maybe we should show a bit of compassion first before we start shoveling all the "Good Advice" on them. We really have not confirmed what was said or not said.
To be fair, it's all well and good to wish condolences or be empathetic. That someone doesn't say it in a public forum hardly means one isn't feeling it or wishing it for the people involved.

Fact is, about the only useful thing that can occur in such a discussion is to discuss the risks, pros/cons, suggestions in such a scenario, so that people might learn something. That that occurs doesn't mean people have no compassion. Just means that compassion doesn't help folks learn something, whereas a good discussion on what such a situation tells us might.
Old 11-19-18, 12:15 PM
jemiller31

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Cuyuna
Seriously? Keeping quiet was my first thought too. Escalation to assault with a deadly weapon and attempted murder is almost always going to take bilateral engagement. Had the bicyclists just kept quiet and waved, they could likely have avoided a lot of blunt and sharp-force injuries.
Wow. Blame the victim much?
Old 11-19-18, 12:19 PM
JoeyBike
20+mph Commuter

Originally Posted by jemiller31
I'm pretty sure the victims are blaming themselves enough right now.
Old 11-19-18, 03:09 PM
Maelochs

Originally Posted by jadocs
If you are going to confront someone, you need to be prepared to get physical (self defense). If you are unprepared, then it's best just to report it. You cannot assume the other party is going to be reasonable or act the way you think they are going to act. This is how these things happen.
Sad but factual.

In a world where everyone just used words, you could call out a bad driver and tell him/her off ... and get roundly abused, and go home angry, hurrah!

In the real world, you get stabbed almost to death with your son.

Yeah, go ahead and wish them well. no need to tell them not to do that again.

A lot of other posters seem to be unable to learn a lesson from the misfortune of others.

Blaming the victim? No, pointing out how the people who Became the victims could have easily avoided that status.

Think fo me what you want. No reason i should care. I maintain still, that it is better to smile and wave and act like you aren't angry, than to curse and make rude gestures and provoke a fight ... whoever wins ... and since anyone crazy enough to pull over and come fight you ids pretty crazy ..... I would rather swallow my anger and n drown in my own blood.

How good to you think that father would have felt about "being a man" and "standing up to those guys" if his son had died? How do you think they both feel now, for that matter.

pretty lucky both lived ... pretty lucky if neither of them has lasting injuries.

For me, riding on the road is itself enough of a gamble. Picking fights with lunatics sounds like a losing proposition.

Others' mileage will vary.
Old 11-19-18, 03:26 PM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Bikes: Lynskey GR300, Lynskey Backroad, Litespeed T6, Lynskey MT29, Burley Duet

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 2131 Post(s)
Liked 1,639 Times in 822 Posts
Originally Posted by sirkaos

I always felt like threads started in A&S were done so to stir discussion related to advocacy and safety. To me, the concern or sympathy for others is more or less implied.
Old 11-19-18, 04:06 PM
JoeyBike
20+mph Commuter

For me, riding on the road is itself enough of a gamble. Picking fights with lunatics sounds like a losing proposition.
For me, the lunatics are the same as fire hydrants, parked cars, and lamp poles. I know they are out there, I know I am going to encounter them, and after the encounter I don't give them much thought. I have punched a car or two in my younger days, but only in the city grid where the offenders were trapped like rats with no chance of catching up to me in gridlock traffic. Been at least 10 years, and probably 20 years before that. Never going toe-to-toe with random strangers.
Old 11-19-18, 04:34 PM
Cuyuna

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by jemiller31
The "victims" are responsible for their own safety. Yeah, they played a role in causing their own assault. Tragic, but avoidable had they just kept their fingers to themselves.
Old 11-19-18, 05:04 PM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts

Others' mileage will vary.
My motto, which I spout off maybe too often: Don't engage the Crazies. Not just fights, but in most any circumstance.

Those of us who ARE "the Crazies", I've got no advice. Sorry.
Old 11-19-18, 05:42 PM
sirkaos

Bikes: 2017 Specialized Roubaix Expert, Surley Karate Monkey 29er hard tail

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
The sad thing is that we are all so quick to condemn when we truly don't know all the facts. Myself as well as numerous cyclists had in a spontaneous defense mode, just yelled hay! at a close pass that was unexpected In a self defense utterance without thought. Almost like putting your hands out before you do a face plant. Nobody here in this forum knows exactly what the cyclists said. A lot of posters here are putting the victims of this terrible crime on trial because maybe they yelled something at these "poor innocent" grown adults who tried to run them off the road and then brutally attacked them. They are human and they reacted in some way to almost getting killed. And yet we sit here in our warm comfortable office chair and criticize them. I think we all need to take a deep breath and look in the mirror.

Compassion and Good manners should never be "Implied"

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.