Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

Official Trek FX Thread

Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

Official Trek FX Thread

Old 05-16-15, 10:34 AM
JG1967

Bikes: 2014 Trek Fuel EX8 29er / 2012 Trek 8.5 DS

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Some really nice bikes in this thread. I've always liked the FX but just wish Trek would step it up and offer disc brakes on the high end model. Hopefully for 2016 they will.
Old 05-19-15, 08:43 PM
Vifam7

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Just recently purchased a 7.3FX. Size 17.5.

I was actually intent on buying the 7.2 but after testing the 7.3 and the Giant Escape 2, I changed my mind. I'm just a casual cyclist and I don't know much about bicycles but both felt much better than the 7.2. In the end it was a close call but I went with the 7.3.

I'm amazed at how light weight this bicycle is. In comparison, my old Panasonic Sport 500 weighs a ton!

Added a red&white sticker next to the white Trek lettering just to make mine easier to find when stacked next to similar Trek or black bicycles.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
trek 7.3.jpg (101.1 KB, 1483 views)

Last edited by Vifam7; 05-19-15 at 08:48 PM.
Old 05-20-15, 07:45 AM
dwing

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
2015 7.4 FX disc. DuoTrap integrated stay. Had a heckuva time finding an android app that worked with my LG3 (doesnt support ANT) to recognize the DT sensor. Finally, found Wahoo Fitness app recognized it via BlueTooth.
Working flawlessly. Fun bike!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Trek74fxdisc.jpg (100.8 KB, 1438 views)
Old 05-20-15, 09:03 PM
Axiom
Fat Cyclist

Bikes: '11 Cannondale SuperSix Dura-Ace

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Still needs bar ends. Might swap the RD out with 105, but right now I really, really love this bike. Also thinking about chaning the spacers to red or white. Red would pop with the pedals. White might be too much white.

Old 05-20-15, 09:14 PM
theveterans

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Axiom
Still needs bar ends. Might swap the RD out with 105, but right now I really, really love this bike. Also thinking about chaning the spacers to red or white. Red would pop with the pedals. White might be too much white.

I'd go with a full Tiagra gruppo (you can also use ultegra chains) than mixed 105/Tiagra etc. I would also prefer a 11-28 cassette and a Red Bont R2 25c tires as an upgrade. A white bont paradigm race saddle would be nice too.

Actually I really like your upgrades. Just complete the tiagra 11-28 groupset and it'll be perfect.

Last edited by theveterans; 05-20-15 at 09:19 PM.
Old 05-20-15, 10:27 PM
ColonelSanders
Banned.

Bikes: 2017 Surly Troll with XT Drive Train, 2017 Merida Big Nine XT Edition, 2016 Giant Toughroad SLR 2, 1995 Trek 830

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1916 Post(s)
Liked 310 Times in 218 Posts

Your seat looks very low, is that how you normally have it when riding that bike?

Originally Posted by theveterans
I'd go with a full Tiagra gruppo (you can also use ultegra chains) than mixed 105/Tiagra etc.
Why is that?
Old 05-20-15, 10:37 PM
Axiom
Fat Cyclist

Bikes: '11 Cannondale SuperSix Dura-Ace

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by ColonelSanders
Your seat looks very low, is that how you normally have it when riding that bike?

Why is that?
Basically. It's up a few cm. I'm a LOT of torso, so the 20" is far too cramped. This fits me perfectly. Almost no standover room, but as long as I'm comfortable that's all that matters, right? 3 hour ride on Monday with no pain/soreness/aches/cramps at all.

And I wouldn't swap the shifters or crankset. Shifters function flawlessly, and the crankset is a OEM 105, so it would cost me money just for a different print on the crank arm. FD works great, so that leaves the RD, chain and cassette, which I'm leaning to 105 within the next 1,000 miles or so. And whitewall tires would look even better. But these are brand new so I won't change them for a while.

Last edited by Axiom; 05-20-15 at 10:41 PM.
Old 05-26-15, 04:40 PM
Greggster

Bikes: 80/90's Specialized Crossroads (3), '91 Miyata Triplecross, '91 Bianchi Boardwalk, 2002 Schwinn Frontier, 2002 Gary Fisher Tarpon, 2009 Trek FX 7.2, 2014 Motobecane 400 HT

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I bought a used 2009 FX 7.2 in matt gold because I wanted to try something more modern than my '90's cross bikes. Plus, it comes in a 25" frame which gives a nice fit for this tall guy. But dang is it harsh - sporty, yes, but it rattled my vertebrae out of alignment! I gained a new appreciation for my old steel bikes (Specialized Crossroads), which are smooth as butter, and great on rough streets and trails. The Trek is fast, light, and looks great - but it's no good for trails. The quest has been to temper the ride with bolt-on replacements - suspended saddle, larger pedals, ergo grips/bar ends, and finally, fatter tires (Kenda Kwest 40C's ). It's better, but not butter. The lesson for me is what's good for racing isn't particularly good for recreational riding.

Last edited by Greggster; 05-27-15 at 09:22 AM.
Old 05-27-15, 02:26 PM
leob1

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 292 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 69 Posts
I have a 2006 7.5, it's my 'go to' bike. The one thing that I always wished for was a carbon fiber fork, to soften the ride a bit. I get a lot of road vibration up through the handle bars. That is until this last winter when I put on carbon bars and stem. What a world of difference it makes! They really dampen the vibration, and make the ride much more comfortable. It's was noticable on the first ride.
Other than putting on 25mm tires, no other real upgrades.
Old 05-27-15, 02:34 PM
Slow Bro

Bikes: 2014 Jamis Coda Elite

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sweet lookin bike. Love the colour
Old 05-27-15, 09:07 PM
Nikon Fan

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 3 Posts
I bought a 7.2 FX this past weekend (as I mentioned earlier in another post). I have been riding it for the past two days and I'm not wowed or overly thrilled so far. Brake arms are easily moved with my hands (tried tightening them but they still have too much play ), Front derailleur scrapes with chain at low/medium speeds (this is while using the middle plate; not even talking about large plate or small plate): the cover over these front plates is plastic.
I'm guessing (hoping) it's just a case of a sloppy bike shop mechanic who slapped it together quickly.

Also, I got a new saddle for it today: ARS 5020. Pedals are too narrow: will be getting wider pedals soon .
Old 05-28-15, 01:13 PM
xionchen4628

Bikes: 2015 Trek 7.2 FX

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My new 2015 Trek 7.2 FX

After a decade of not riding a bicycle, I finally came back with my purchase of a 2015 Trek 7.2 FX. Boy, what a joy it was to start riding a bicycle again. I have forgotten how much fun it was to ride a bicycle versus driving a car. Compare to what I used to own, it moves faster & smoother than I have ever experienced. The only difference is that the ride is more rigid/harsh than before, as I can feel even the smaller bumps. So far, I have been very happy with the purchase but I have encountered two issues during my last few rides.

Recently, I grabbed my sister and we went riding on a bike trail through the parks and streets. It took 2 hours for us to ride 13 miles since I frequently ended up waiting for my sister to catch up on her comfort-style hybrid bike with the fatter tires. Around the half way point, I noticed some soreness in the perineum area while riding. I ended up adjusting my position on the saddle by occasionally sitting further back on the saddle or standing up for a minute,which relieve some of the soreness.Once the ride was over, I didn't feel any more soreness except when I hopped on the bike to run a quick errand later that day and the day after. At first I have thought it might be the saddle that I am on but now I wonder whether it is my style of riding or how long it has been since I have been on the bike that are the major causes? Should I have been standing up more often instead of sitting down through most of the trip? I am planning a trip back to my LBS to look over how I am riding but any comment/suggestions before then are welcome.

Second, I also notice more discomfort in my palms during the "long" ride. I think the likely cause is that I have been holding the grip tighter than required. I probably need to relax my grip a little more.

In any case, I will be back on the trail this weekend. I am going to see if incorporating some changes in my riding will alleviate some of the issues that I have been having.
Old 05-28-15, 08:01 PM
yashinon

Bikes: Trek Domane

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Nikon Fan
I bought a 7.2 FX this past weekend (as I mentioned earlier in another post). I have been riding it for the past two days and I'm not wowed or overly thrilled so far. Brake arms are easily moved with my hands (tried tightening them but they still have too much play ), Front derailleur scrapes with chain at low/medium speeds (this is while using the middle plate; not even talking about large plate or small plate): the cover over these front plates is plastic.
I'm guessing (hoping) it's just a case of a sloppy bike shop mechanic who slapped it together quickly.

Also, I got a new saddle for it today: ARS 5020. Pedals are too narrow: will be getting wider pedals soon .
I would go back to the shop. The stock pedals are pretty bad IMO!
Old 05-28-15, 08:03 PM
yashinon

Originally Posted by xionchen4628
After a decade of not riding a bicycle, I finally came back with my purchase of a 2015 Trek 7.2 FX. Boy, what a joy it was to start riding a bicycle again. I have forgotten how much fun it was to ride a bicycle versus driving a car. Compare to what I used to own, it moves faster & smoother than I have ever experienced. The only difference is that the ride is more rigid/harsh than before, as I can feel even the smaller bumps. So far, I have been very happy with the purchase but I have encountered two issues during my last few rides.

Recently, I grabbed my sister and we went riding on a bike trail through the parks and streets. It took 2 hours for us to ride 13 miles since I frequently ended up waiting for my sister to catch up on her comfort-style hybrid bike with the fatter tires. Around the half way point, I noticed some soreness in the perineum area while riding. I ended up adjusting my position on the saddle by occasionally sitting further back on the saddle or standing up for a minute,which relieve some of the soreness.Once the ride was over, I didn't feel any more soreness except when I hopped on the bike to run a quick errand later that day and the day after. At first I have thought it might be the saddle that I am on but now I wonder whether it is my style of riding or how long it has been since I have been on the bike that are the major causes? Should I have been standing up more often instead of sitting down through most of the trip? I am planning a trip back to my LBS to look over how I am riding but any comment/suggestions before then are welcome.

Second, I also notice more discomfort in my palms during the "long" ride. I think the likely cause is that I have been holding the grip tighter than required. I probably need to relax my grip a little more.

In any case, I will be back on the trail this weekend. I am going to see if incorporating some changes in my riding will alleviate some of the issues that I have been having.
There is another thread about the numbness going. Hand fatigue is common, maybe its something to do with just starting out, however I suggest bar ends.
Old 05-30-15, 08:01 PM
decotriumph 

Bikes: 2022 Trek Marlin 7, 2016 Trek FX 7.4, 1987 Schwinn Circuit, 1955 Indian Scout (Phillips)

Liked 39 Times in 15 Posts

I took delivery yesterday of this 2016 FX 7.4 (22.5 inch) in the new for '16 color called "Firebrand."

Old 05-30-15, 08:05 PM
RedRockRider

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I LIKE that color!

Fits with how I dress when I ride lol, i wear either bright orange or neon green in an effort not to get run over.
Old 05-30-15, 08:08 PM
decotriumph 

Bikes: 2022 Trek Marlin 7, 2016 Trek FX 7.4, 1987 Schwinn Circuit, 1955 Indian Scout (Phillips)

Originally Posted by RedRockRider
I LIKE that color!

Fits with how I dress when I ride lol, i wear either bright orange or neon green in an effort not to get run over.
That's the exact reason I picked that color!

Old 05-30-15, 08:38 PM
yashinon

Originally Posted by decotriumph

I took delivery yesterday of this 2016 FX 7.4 (22.5 inch) in the new for '16 color called "Firebrand."
Very nice! Are the specs the same as the the 15?
Old 05-31-15, 12:59 AM
ColonelSanders
Banned.

Bikes: 2017 Surly Troll with XT Drive Train, 2017 Merida Big Nine XT Edition, 2016 Giant Toughroad SLR 2, 1995 Trek 830

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1916 Post(s)
Liked 310 Times in 218 Posts
Originally Posted by decotriumph

Gorgeous.
Old 05-31-15, 06:55 AM
decotriumph 

Originally Posted by yashinon
Very nice! Are the specs the same as the the 15?
Yes, I believe they are. It's just a new color.

Old 05-31-15, 08:40 AM
knightblaze

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Bought an 15 FX 7.1 and so far not to impressed. This is my first major LBS bike (coming from mostly BSO bikes from my child hood and a few I bought recently but returned per comments here). My hands/forearms feel absolutely horrible after about 6 miles, heard this could be the Handle bar or grips? Also having issues with the crank or chain on the front derailer (3rd) and between 5-7 on the rear. Bike was supposedly verified by a master tech (had to wait an hour). Bringing it back for a look over. I figured for the $439 price tag I would have a pretty solid out the door ride, but not the case atm. Really didn't want to dump additional money on it for ride quality (the saddle is awesome though).
Old 05-31-15, 10:32 AM
TakingMyTime

Bikes: Trek 7.4 FX

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1026 Post(s)
Liked 912 Times in 535 Posts
Originally Posted by knightblaze
Bought an 15 FX 7.1 and so far not to impressed. This is my first major LBS bike (coming from mostly BSO bikes from my child hood and a few I bought recently but returned per comments here). My hands/forearms feel absolutely horrible after about 6 miles, heard this could be the Handle bar or grips? Also having issues with the crank or chain on the front derailer (3rd) and between 5-7 on the rear. Bike was supposedly verified by a master tech (had to wait an hour). Bringing it back for a look over. I figured for the $439 price tag I would have a pretty solid out the door ride, but not the case atm. Really didn't want to dump additional money on it for ride quality (the saddle is awesome though).
Although the 7.1 is more of an entry level it still should perform fine out the door. It sounds like you just need to adjust things a bit and get a few more miles on it before you start feeling a bit more comfortable with the ride.
Old 05-31-15, 11:55 AM
knightblaze

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
TakingMyTime, I've been back into riding for 2 weeks, off and on with several bikes (BSO ones I ended up returning). Been on the 7.1 for about 3-4 days (6 miles a day time permitting, hoping for more this week). When I bring it back to the shop for the crank/chain issue would it be worth "upgrading" to a 7.2? Or maybe return the Trek for something else? I understand its Entry but it still stings the wallet if its not a decent bike. My max would be $450, think I could swing a haggle deal on the 7.2 or what not?
Old 05-31-15, 02:54 PM
decotriumph 

Originally Posted by knightblaze
TakingMyTime, I've been back into riding for 2 weeks, off and on with several bikes (BSO ones I ended up returning). Been on the 7.1 for about 3-4 days (6 miles a day time permitting, hoping for more this week). When I bring it back to the shop for the crank/chain issue would it be worth "upgrading" to a 7.2? Or maybe return the Trek for something else? I understand its Entry but it still stings the wallet if its not a decent bike. My max would be $450, think I could swing a haggle deal on the 7.2 or what not?
It sounds to me that probably a shifter/derailleur adjustment and maybe a different set of grips would solve your issues. I'd give the LBS another stab at it. They might have a technician on staff that's better at adjusting the shift mechanism than the one who set you bike up. Some guys just have a better feel for it. Never heard anyone say a stock saddle is awesome! That's gotta be a rare experience. Glad you're the one who got it!

Old 05-31-15, 03:34 PM
yashinon

The H1 saddle on my 7.4 is not bad. Comfortable enough for a good 25 mile or so ride.

Interesting comment on the 7.1, I have co-worker who purchased just a few days. I will ask her to see what she thinks. The only difference between the 7.1 and 7.2 is the handlebar from what I can tell.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.