Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

Thread for Specialized Sirrus

Search
Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

Thread for Specialized Sirrus

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-18, 11:24 AM
andrei_r

Bikes: Giant FCR 3 with lots of mods, Brazilian made Caloi 100.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by hokiefyd
I agree -- the cassette is listed as having a 42t large sprocket, and the chain ring appears to be at least as large in the picture as that. A 1:1 low gear isn't really that low, and probably makes sense for a fitness-oriented bike like this one.
You're right, so either the specs or the photo are wrong. There's only one photo and the resolution isn't great so my guess is it's only to give an idea what the bike will look like. A low gear of 1:1 definitely makes sense for a fitness bike, I'd even go a bit lower... But 32x11 is too low for when you want to hammer down the road or an out of the saddle sprint... This bike is asking to be ridden hard.
Old 10-02-18, 11:46 AM
puma1552

Bikes: '17 Colnago C-RS (Full 5800); '16 Specialized Sirrus Elite

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 363 Post(s)
Liked 62 Times in 40 Posts
Originally Posted by badger1
They are up now. Few changes, given that the current Sirrus models were just introduced last year. There is, however, a new carbon model, 1x specific, with 38mm stock tires. I placed my order last Friday; hope it materializes (demand, even pre-official release, is high according to my lbs).

https://www.specialized.com/ca/en/me...=239583-159152
such a weak update, that single bike is literally the only change, ALL others are 100% carryovers, they didn't even bother to update the images etc on the Sirrus page or freshen anything up. pretty weak considering theyve always had paint scheme changes across the board along with various (for better or worse) component swaps.
Old 10-02-18, 12:24 PM
badger1

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1581 Post(s)
Liked 1,189 Times in 605 Posts
Originally Posted by puma1552

such a weak update, that single bike is literally the only change, ALL others are 100% carryovers, they didn't even bother to update the images etc on the Sirrus page or freshen anything up. pretty weak considering theyve always had paint scheme changes across the board along with various (for better or worse) component swaps.
Ummm ... ok! Probably a number of possible reasons -- could be something as simple as Specialized still holding a lot of stock of what is, after all, a relatively new bike that is already bang up-to-date as far as 'new' standards are concerned.

As for me, don't really care. The new model is there, and it works for me so I'm happy.
Old 10-03-18, 05:41 AM
desmodue

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by andrei_r
You're right, so either the specs or the photo are wrong. There's only one photo and the resolution isn't great so my guess is it's only to give an idea what the bike will look like. A low gear of 1:1 definitely makes sense for a fitness bike, I'd even go a bit lower... But 32x11 is too low for when you want to hammer down the road or an out of the saddle sprint... This bike is asking to be ridden hard.
The photo is likely the prototype, and not exactly representative of the actual production model.

One discrepancy from listed specifications is the bike shown has 6 bolt discs, centerlock discs are listed on the spec sheet.
Old 10-03-18, 10:09 AM
andrei_r

Bikes: Giant FCR 3 with lots of mods, Brazilian made Caloi 100.

Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by desmodue
The photo is likely the prototype, and not exactly representative of the actual production model.

One discrepancy from listed specifications is the bike shown has 6 bolt discs, centerlock discs are listed on the spec sheet.
And some lucky design team employee at spesh is out riding right now...
Old 10-05-18, 03:44 PM
Trifina
Oldie but goodie

Bikes: Specialized Sirrus City

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I just bought a leftover '17 Sirrus City in grey. I really love it. A good bike to return to the road with, I think.

Trouble is, I'm trying to take off the fenders, and the front mounting bolt is screwed in some sort of (plastic?) dowel inside the fork. I can barely touch it with my finger, but it's round, so I can't hold it still while I turn the bolt. Anyone have any ideas?

EDIT: Okay, duh! I turned the fork around and there's a hex key hole in the back.

Last edited by Trifina; 10-12-18 at 06:16 AM.
Old 10-05-18, 09:25 PM
Bryan C. 
nothing to see here

Quoted: 218 Post(s)
Liked 145 Times in 78 Posts
Originally Posted by desmodue

A local bike shop posted this on Instagram.

Last edited by Bryan C.; 10-05-18 at 09:51 PM.
Old 10-06-18, 09:05 AM
badger1

Originally Posted by Bryan C.

Thanks for putting that up; nice to see my (future) new bike 'live' -- assuming lbs can get one! Should be possible.

That's at least two sizes bigger than mine (which will be Med.; bike pictured must be at least an XL), and that colour isn't available up here, but nice to see.

Last edited by badger1; 10-06-18 at 09:08 AM.
Old 10-12-18, 09:39 AM
revivalist

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 4 Posts

This is my 2015 Sirrus Elite Carbon Disc.

Does anyone know what the crank length is? It's a medium.
Old 10-12-18, 09:41 AM
Sal Bandini

Bikes: 2017 Sirrus Sport

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 420 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
^ probably 170mm, but to be sure, look at that inside left crank. Right below that white sticker at the end of the crank the number should be stamped in the crank.
Old 10-12-18, 10:48 AM
revivalist

Liked 8 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Sal Bandini
^ probably 170mm, but to be sure, look at that inside left crank. Right below that white sticker at the end of the crank the number should be stamped in the crank.
Duuh, thanks. I will look.

They feel shorter than my road bike but i guess it could be a low seat. I will check.
Old 10-13-18, 10:32 AM
revivalist

Liked 8 Times in 4 Posts
Thanks for the help. They are 172.5. My saddle was just too low. Cheapest fix of all!
Old 10-13-18, 10:36 AM
revivalist

Liked 8 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by wgscott
2015 with 38" Compass Kool-aid tires:

What pedals are those?
Old 10-13-18, 12:06 PM
Cyclist0108
Occam's Rotor

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 2366 Post(s)
Liked 2,331 Times in 1,164 Posts
Originally Posted by revivalist
What pedals are those?
Azonic 420 pedals
Old 10-19-18, 02:59 PM
ManyBikess

Bikes: 22 Specilaized Roll 3, 18 Sirrus Carbon, 07 Colnago CLX, 03 KHS 304, 79 Schwinn Super LeTour

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
2018 Elite Carbon

Old 10-20-18, 03:20 PM
axxman

Bikes: 2022 Specialized Kenevo SL exp2017 Specialized Expert carbon X1 2016 Specialized Trek 8.6 DS, Previously owned 2016 Specialized Stumpjumper comp carbo Trek 4500, 2019 Canyon Urban 5.0, Diamondback, Ross Apollo 5speed, Huffy? Research Dynamics(stolen)

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Bryan C.

Glad to see they are reintroducing the 1X drive train, my 2017 comp carbon x-1 is still going strong, only thing I wish it had was that future shock and thru axles. I still think it is one of the best looking bikes I have seen. it looks like those tires to not have the built in reflectors?
Old 10-20-18, 03:45 PM
badger1

Originally Posted by axxman
Glad to see they are reintroducing the 1X drive train, my 2017 comp carbon x-1 is still going strong, only thing I wish it had was that future shock and thru axles. I still think it is one of the best looking bikes I have seen. it looks like those tires to not have the built in reflectors?
Yep! As mentioned above, I've ordered mine, and lbs confirms that I will be getting it. I'm in Canada; supply can sometimes be iffy here with popular models and there is apparently considerable interest in this one.

My 2010 Sirrus Comp has been a great bike and still is. However, advancing age and some health issues dictate an update: the improved tire clearance and Future Shock are important features for me, and I have been hankering for a 1x drivetrain. Those features, together with the rest being bang up-to-date (thru axles; flat-mount discs) sealed the deal.

My hope is that -- for me -- this will be as close to the 'perfect' bike as I could hope: lots of compliance; capable on-road and on non-technical unpaved surfaces (my kind of riding).

For anyone who is interested: this model appears to be made from a different set of moulds. The frame is 1x specific -- no provision for a front derailleur -- and the tire clearance is increased.

Last edited by badger1; 10-22-18 at 12:26 PM.
Old 10-20-18, 04:25 PM
axxman

Bikes: 2022 Specialized Kenevo SL exp2017 Specialized Expert carbon X1 2016 Specialized Trek 8.6 DS, Previously owned 2016 Specialized Stumpjumper comp carbo Trek 4500, 2019 Canyon Urban 5.0, Diamondback, Ross Apollo 5speed, Huffy? Research Dynamics(stolen)

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by badger1
Yep! As mentioned above, I've ordered mine, and lbs confirms that I will be getting it. I'm in Canada; supply can sometimes be iffy here with popular models and there is apparently considerable interest in this one.

My 2010 Sirrus Comp has been a great bike and still is. However, advancing age and some health issues dictate an update: the improved tire clearance and Future Shock are important features for me, and I have been hankering for a 1x drivetrain. Those features, together with the rest being bang up-to-date (thru axles; flat-mount discs) sealed the deal.

My hope is that -- for me -- this will be as close to the 'perfect' bike as I could hope: lots of compliance; capable on-road and on non-technical unpaved surfaces (my kind of riding).

For anyone who is interested: this model is made from a different set of moulds. The frame is 1x specific -- no provision for a front derailleur -- and the tire clearance is increased.
+1 on the advancing age, looks like they really did a good job on it. they really bumped up the tire size. If I didn't already have a 2017, I would be ordering this one. Hope you have a good camera to take lots of photos!!
Old 11-22-18, 07:52 AM
Alrmad

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Newbie here... I have been lurking around for a while.
Specialized Sirrus Expert Carbon review is up on Bike Radar dot com (not allowed to post links yet, though).

In the comments sections people are discussing the new X model, which is the one I've just ordered. I got my 2015 Sirrus Elite Carbon stolen with brand new XT-brakes! Anyway, deliveries should be in by January according to my LBS.

Two quick questions: I need fenders and rack (which I put on and take off from time to time). Does anybody know if there is enough clearance with the 38mm tyre on the X to allow for fenders? I'm guessing it's ok as fenders are listed as compatible accessories in the specs on Specialized web-site.
Also, while I like the wider rim, I think I would prefer tyres with as little drag as possible and reflective ring like the tyres on my old bike, because I do most of my daily commute on the city tarmac, only the last couple of kms take me through gravel and terrain. Any recommendations regarding tyres?
Old 11-22-18, 09:59 AM
badger1

I have the same bike on order.

I doubt there will be much clearance for fenders with the stock 38s, but we won't know until the bikes are available. It's moot, though, if you're going with something a little narrower -- should be fine with 32s or possibly even 35s (?). As far as tires go, I'm already considering alternatives as well. In my case, likely going to be the new Continental GP5000 in 32 width. Those, or something from Compass. This bike will be my 'good weather/road bike', just as is my present Sirrus, which will now become my back-up/'rain bike'. Plan to go with something like Schwalbe Marathons/good metal fenders on that one.

If you're looking for a more x-terrain/puncture resistant tire for commuting, others here might have suggestions.
Old 01-04-19, 02:16 PM
Basquiat

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi all,

I've been looking around for a new bike for a while now.

he Sirrus Sport 2019 caught my attention.

According to Specialized 35mm tires can only be installed without fenders. Does anyone know if it is possible to use 35mm tires with fenders?
Old 01-05-19, 12:41 AM
kergin

Bikes: 1994 Proctor Townsend Reynolds 753, TT S3 True North, Kona Major Jake, Kona Honky Tonk, Marinoni Puima, Cannondale BBU

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Question for the thread: I'm gonna get a Sirrus Carbon Comp for commuting, but I'm unsure of what size I should take. I'm 5'10", which puts me on an L frame; however, the standover on that size is pretty bad (crotch hits the top tube). I tried a medium, but it felt kinda cramped while riding. Should I just do the medium and go with a longer stem?
Old 01-05-19, 08:06 AM
badger1

Originally Posted by kergin
Question for the thread: I'm gonna get a Sirrus Carbon Comp for commuting, but I'm unsure of what size I should take. I'm 5'10", which puts me on an L frame; however, the standover on that size is pretty bad (crotch hits the top tube). I tried a medium, but it felt kinda cramped while riding. Should I just do the medium and go with a longer stem?
Hmmmm ... well, I don't have mine yet (Sirrus Carbon X Comp), but I'm assuming that's the bike you mean (2019)?

If so, a couple of things to consider. First, keep in mind that the frame reach on the two sizes is virtually identical: M 400mm, L 402mm. The seat angle is the same, and in fact so is the stem length (90mm) also on the two sizes. So, the only real difference is frame stack: M 583mm, L 601mm.*

If anything, then, the M should have stretched you out a bit more as a result of the increased saddle-to-bar drop, assuming you had saddle height set correctly (i.e. the same from b/b) on both sizes.

FWIW I'm only 5'8", but with short torso and quite long legs/arms (true cycling inseam 33"/84cms). I've ordered Medium. In your case, sounds from what you say that you are more 'normally' proportioned (i.e. shorter legs relative to overall height) so I'd be tempted to go Medium with a longer stem if necessary to stretch you out a bit. Again, remember that the reach (and in fact the front-centre measurement) is only 2mm longer on the Large anyway.

But that's just me! Only you can make the final decision.

*The geometry charts for Sirrus on the current Spec. website appear to be all messed up. I believe the attached is the correct chart for current carbon Sirrus, and appears to be consistent with static comparisons I have made between the M and L. But do check that with your dealer -- I may be wrong.
Attached Files

Last edited by badger1; 01-05-19 at 08:45 AM.
Old 01-05-19, 10:40 AM
kergin

Bikes: 1994 Proctor Townsend Reynolds 753, TT S3 True North, Kona Major Jake, Kona Honky Tonk, Marinoni Puima, Cannondale BBU

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Yeah, the Carbon X Comp is the one I'm referring to. I'll have to swing by the shop again to try out both with an allen key set in my pocket. My hunch says Medium with a 100mm stem, but I'll have to try it out before buying, since I don't think you get any vertical adjustment with the future shock setup.
Old 01-05-19, 12:54 PM
badger1

Originally Posted by kergin
Yeah, the Carbon X Comp is the one I'm referring to. I'll have to swing by the shop again to try out both with an allen key set in my pocket. My hunch says Medium with a 100mm stem, but I'll have to try it out before buying, since I don't think you get any vertical adjustment with the future shock setup.
Good luck!

On that last point, I believe there is some room for adjustment. The Sirrus uses the Diverge version of the Future Shock. I believe it comes with the 'firm' spring, but is supplied with both a medium and a light one. And, there is some room for vertical adjustment if the following (from a review) is correct. I don't know if both top caps referred to below are supplied -- again, have to check with dealer -- but:

"While the front end of the new Diverge continues to use a largely conventional threadless headset, the stem no longer attaches to the fork steerer. As a result, stem height is adjusted by sliding the whole Future Shock unit up or down within the fork steerer.
There is a choice of top caps for the upper headset bearing — slim or tall — to which standard headset spacers can be added to set the height of the stem. There is a limit to how far the Future Shock unit can be raised — 30mm — and while the minimum insertion is clearly marked on the Future Shock unit, some may unknowingly exceed it because it is hidden beneath the top cap and spacers.
A maximum of six 5mm spacers can be added to the slim cap, while just three can be used with the tall cap
."

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.