Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

Ask the Community

Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Ask the Community

Old 04-30-17, 09:27 AM
Unkle Rico

Bikes: CENTURION / LOOK / Bianchi

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 214 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
I mean i would say yes, but this project bike has a few old school bits on it which let itself to more of a vintage feel.. I know a lot of peeps use the TB14's and really like them for road use but I don't see anyone really using these for gravelish duties.

Originally Posted by SquidPuppet
I don't know about strength differences, but IMO the TB14s have kind of a C&V road bike look. I'm no expert on the gravel scene, but wouldn't they look out of place there?
Old 04-30-17, 09:41 AM
SquidPuppet
Calamari Marionette Ph.D

Bikes: 3 Chinese Gas Pipe Nerdcycles and 2 Chicago Electroforged Boat Anchors

Mentioned: 75 Post(s)
Quoted: 2358 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 26 Posts
Originally Posted by Unkle Rico
I mean i would say yes, but this project bike has a few old school bits on it which let itself to more of a vintage feel.. I know a lot of peeps use the TB14's and really like them for road use but I don't see anyone really using these for gravelish duties.
You might ask about the TB14s strength in the C&V forum. Lot and lots of guys there rave about how the wheel builds up nicely. They praise them for being straight and round and responding well to tension. They praise the ride quality too. Maybe some of those guys and gone off roading a bit and can give you some feedback.
Old 05-04-17, 05:43 PM
Deathoftheparty

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Bought a Fuji Feather off of Craigslist for a steal. Everything is great, except for the track nuts. He said he caught a guy trying to steal his wheels with a pair of channel locks. They're completely rounded off. I was able to get them off with some vice grips, but can't seem to find a replacement. They're the same size front and back, but they aren't 9 or 10mm, as I brought the wheel into my local shop and none of those seemed to fit.

it's the stock wheelset. Bike is from 2011, but I'm assuming the wheelset hasn't changed throughout this time. Any idea what I should be looking to buy for these? Aside from a new wheelset all together.
Old 05-04-17, 06:59 PM
scoho

Bikes: steel track

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 235 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Deathoftheparty
a guy trying to steal his wheels with a pair of channel locks
Goddamn monster.
Old 05-04-17, 07:27 PM
SquidPuppet
Calamari Marionette Ph.D

Bikes: 3 Chinese Gas Pipe Nerdcycles and 2 Chicago Electroforged Boat Anchors

Mentioned: 75 Post(s)
Quoted: 2358 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 26 Posts
Bought a Fuji Feather off of Craigslist for a steal. Everything is great, except for the track nuts. He said he caught a guy trying to steal his wheels with a pair of channel locks. They're completely rounded off. I was able to get them off with some vice grips, but can't seem to find a replacement. They're the same size front and back, but they aren't 9 or 10mm, as I brought the wheel into my local shop and none of those seemed to fit.

it's the stock wheelset. Bike is from 2011, but I'm assuming the wheelset hasn't changed throughout this time. Any idea what I should be looking to buy for these? Aside from a new wheelset all together.

It's possible that they are 3/8 inch, which is 9.5mm. It's the standard for cheapy bikes, like beach cruisers etc., like all of mine. There is only one place in the world that sells track nuts for that size axle. They are available in 24 TPI and 26 TPI. You want 26 TPI, as 24 TPI is for coaster brake hubs.

$7.00 for all four. Swivel washer BMX bicycle axle nut 3/8" X 26T - SET OF 4

Old 05-06-17, 11:28 AM
Scrodzilla
Your cog is slipping.

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 640 Post(s)
Liked 100 Times in 58 Posts

What kind of half-assed "bike mechanic" couldn't help you figure this out?
Old 05-06-17, 02:32 PM
hairnet
Fresh Garbage

Bikes: N+1

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 352 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 17 Posts
One that never heard of a Verner caliper and thread gauge.
Old 05-18-17, 07:02 PM
the sci guy 
bill nyecycles

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 788 Post(s)
Liked 349 Times in 189 Posts
As I've posted I cut 2 cm off my quill stem and subsequently lowered my bars. Does this mean I have to raise my seat to balance he offset? I've been riding as is for a few weeks and I don't feel like my leg/knee extension is feeling right - but it could just be because my knee isn't fully healed from the dislocation yet and everything is still screwed up....
Thoughts?
Old 05-18-17, 07:29 PM
scoho

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by the sci guy
As I've posted I cut 2 cm off my quill stem and subsequently lowered my bars. Does this mean I have to raise my seat to balance he offset?
Never. The saddle should be positioned at the correct height for your legs relative to the cranks, period.

The problem you're experiencing might be due to the continuing process of healing, as you said, or you might just not be flexible enough to handle the new, lower bar position. Even if the latter, however, you shouldn't attempt to fix the problem via saddle height.
Old 05-18-17, 08:46 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
Saddle height should be set relative to the bottom of the pedal stroke. 1.09% of inseam is a good place to start.

A plum line hung down over the knee cap should hit the big toe when the knee is forward. That's a good place to start with saddle for/aft positioning.

That's what I've always used as a starting point for saddle position. Everything else flows from that.
Old 05-19-17, 11:19 AM
Wendell F
My pants used to fit me

Bikes: Surly Steamroller, All-City Super Professional

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by TimothyH
Saddle height should be set relative to the bottom of the pedal stroke. 1.09% of inseam is a good place to start.

Guessing you meant 109%.
Old 05-20-17, 06:48 PM
bonsai171

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 749 Post(s)
Liked 90 Times in 70 Posts
pictures

Can someone give me a few tips on how to shrink picture file sizes down so they can be posted on bike forums? Thanks,

Dave
Old 05-20-17, 06:59 PM
scoho

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I think the best way is to upload to an image hosting site (like imgur) and then insert the photo by reference to the hosted url.
Old 05-25-17, 02:38 PM
j_e_r_e_m_y

Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked 72 Times in 32 Posts
I stumbled across these Origin8 Hornet 108 freewheels (ORIGIN8 FREEWHEELS Hornet 108 Performance Freewheel 18T x 1/8" Single CP | eBay) the other day and was wondering if anyone here has any experience with them. I was planning on getting a White Industries freewheel, but on paper at least, the Origin8 sounds as good if not better - 108 points of engagement, more pawls, etc.
Old 06-02-17, 05:02 AM
cny-bikeman
Mechanic/Tourist

Bikes: 2008 Novara Randonee - love it. Previous bikes:Motobecane Mirage, 1972 Moto Grand Jubilee (my fave), Jackson Rake 16, 1983 C'dale ST500.

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 486 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by bonsai171
Can someone give me a few tips on how to shrink picture file sizes down so they can be posted on bike forums? Thanks,

Dave
Most picture editors can easily size pics. My favorite free one is Infranview. Once you have opened the image with it you just click on Image/Resize/Resample. You can choose the file size, dimensions, percent reduction, etc. Then save either with the same name or a new one.

Unfortunately some time ago the design of this forum software, which is used by many other sites, was changed so that Quick Reply no longer allows you to include a photo from your computer. If you are posting a new entry and not quoting someone you have to click on Post Reply (lower left of last post) or Go Advanced under the Quick Reply box and then choose the paperclip (Attachments) to insert a file from your computer rather than from a url from the Internet.

Last edited by cny-bikeman; 06-02-17 at 06:20 AM.
Old 06-02-17, 08:46 AM
UltraManDan

Bikes: 2015 Aventon Diamond

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Question: I have a new Aventon with an integrated headset and carbon fork. I have tightened everything as much as I can, but there is still some occasional rattle in the headset when I hit bumps on the road. Any tips on how to get this tighter?

This is the headset and I did not install the 2 spacers under the red arrow. Mistake?

2.jpg
Old 06-02-17, 09:38 AM
Flatulentfox

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Are you sure that your stem/spacers extend past the steer tube? Make sure the top cap is not bottomed out against the steer tube before it properly compresses the head set. You should not have to crank it down very tight at all, in fact you will likely damage something if you do.
Old 06-02-17, 09:40 AM
UltraManDan

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Flatulentfox
Are you sure that your stem/spacers extend past the steer tube? Make sure the top cap is not bottomed out against the steer tube before it properly compresses the head set. You should not have to crank it down very tight at all, in fact you will likely damage something if you do.
there is a little over 1mm of room between the spacers and the top of the tube. Maybe thats not enough? I left the tube a little longer before making the final cut, so I will probably drop it another cm or so and lose a spacer, but I think it has enough room now to press everything together.
Old 06-02-17, 10:39 AM
Flatulentfox

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Just to trouble shoot try throwing a longer/additional spacer on top, see if that makes any difference. I could see 1mm being not quite enough.
Old 06-02-17, 10:42 AM
Flatulentfox

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
As long as the fork or top headset cover and headtube are not in contact and not binding, you should not need those headset shims.
Old 06-02-17, 11:07 AM
UltraManDan

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Just to trouble shoot try throwing a longer/additional spacer on top, see if that makes any difference. I could see 1mm being not quite enough.
Will do. I'll make a swing by the LBS and pick one up.

As long as the fork or top headset cover and headtube are not in contact and not binding, you should not need those headset shims.
Nothing is making contact with the headtube and the fork steers/ turns without resistance. The only time I feel or hear a rattle is when riding over a significant bump, or by holding the bike by the handle bars and standing it on its back wheel, if I pick it up and let it bounce I can hear the rattle in the headset.
Old 06-03-17, 05:00 PM
Unkle Rico

Bikes: CENTURION / LOOK / Bianchi

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 214 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
I usually have at least 3-5mm of space between the top of the steerer tube and the spacer.
Old 06-13-17, 03:27 PM
bonsai171

random question

Anybody running tubeless on their SS/fixie?

Dave
Old 06-13-17, 04:23 PM
seau grateau

Bikes: Litespeed Catalyst, IRO Rob Roy, All City Big Block

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1332 Post(s)
Liked 398 Times in 194 Posts
Any ideas/resources for DIY headlight mounts?
Old 06-13-17, 05:08 PM
bonsai171

Originally Posted by seau grateau
Any ideas/resources for DIY headlight mounts?
How about 3d printing or zip ties?

Dave

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.