Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

First Citi Bike fatality

Search
Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

First Citi Bike fatality

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-18, 10:19 AM
vol

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by raria
Is there a double standard on charging people depending on what/how is struck (cyclist, e-scooter, pedestrian, vehicle)?
The headphone worn by the cyclist is what the driver's attorney uses for defense. There are also many nasty online comments blaming the cylist's wearing the headphone for his demise, and not the least on the driver.
Old 09-21-18, 12:49 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18377 Post(s)
Liked 4,512 Times in 3,354 Posts
Originally Posted by csport
Specs for a similar bus: MCI J4500 | Motor Coach Industries
Overall Width: 102.00 in - 2.59 m
One of the issues here is the fender extensions which appear to be a few inches wider than the width of the body of the bus. There are specific exclusions for side mirrors, lights, and load ratchets. However, fender extensions (with relation to vehicle width) seem to be mentioned on some local laws, but not on federal laws.

It is possible that the bus and rider were drifting together, and would have impacted anyway, but those fender extensions took the rider down, there was no recovery from them.

In at least one of the articles, it says:
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...Citi-Bike.html
Authorities said Hanegby lost his balance and fell over as the bus was going by. He was run over by the bus’s rear wheels.
This is a poor interpretation of cycling, and the events shown in the video.

As the slow mo video from the rear clearly shows (and the still I submitted on the previous page), the bus's front fender extension hit the cyclist's handlebars. This threw the cyclist off balance, and probably was an event unrecoverable for virtually any cyclist.

Saying the cyclist "fell over" throws blame on the cyclist, when "being hit from the rear" would throw blame on the driver.

This is likely as important as the headphones and honking.

"fall over" is poor language choice, and a sign of very poor witnesses/expert witnesses presented by the prosecution.

Poor parking of the vehicles on both sides of the roads also contributed. Nonetheless, vehicles are required to safely pass, with adequate clearance despite varying road conditions.
Old 09-21-18, 04:26 PM
csport

Bikes: Soma Double Cross Disc (2017), red Hardrock FS (circa 1996)

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 217 Post(s)
Liked 155 Times in 102 Posts
Originally Posted by CliffordK
As the slow mo video from the rear clearly shows (and the still I submitted on the previous page), the bus's front fender extension hit the cyclist's handlebars. This threw the cyclist off balance, and probably was an event unrecoverable for virtually any cyclist.
Totally right, also, this is what was said a year ago in the article linked by mr_bill in post #44 (the authors of the article saw the video then). Presentation by DA's office could be made stronger.
Just thought about this: a similar fall would happen if the other end of the handlebars hit an opening door of a car. Such an impact causes the wheel to turn towards the car, and the rider falls onto the back and into the roadway, away from the car. Different situation, same physics.
Old 09-21-18, 04:34 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7348 Post(s)
Liked 2,471 Times in 1,435 Posts
I can't bear to watch the video. I hope you don't mind my questions about it.

Does it show the bus hitting the handlebar? Or is it at least clear that the strike between bus and handlebar caused the loss of control of the bike? If yes to either of these, doesn't that place the fault fully on the bus driver?

I see how the badly parked vehicles contributed, but I think their drivers are guilty of bad parking, not causing a death.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 09-21-18, 05:52 PM
mr_bill

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 2112 Post(s)
Liked 663 Times in 443 Posts
Originally Posted by noglider
I can't bear to watch the video. I hope you don't mind my questions about it.

Does it show the bus hitting the handlebar? Or is it at least clear that the strike between bus and handlebar caused the loss of control of the bike? If yes to either of these, doesn't that place the fault fully on the bus driver?
Yes, it shows the fender hitting the handlebar. Yes, it shows that strike caused the loss of control. It also shows that the rider held a straight line and did not swerve. Yes, the bus operator is fully responsible for the crash he caused.

Thankfully a professional reporter beared to watch the video about a year ago. Her reporting meant that the DA could NOT walk away from this. Unfortunately, the DA still grossly undercharged.

-mr. bill
Old 09-21-18, 09:45 PM
vol

According to this article: Chelsea Residents Warned City About Buses Using Side Streets Near Citi Bike Death

NYC traffic rules state that most non-MTA buses must adhere to truck routes, except for the "purpose of arriving at his/her destination" by "leaving a designated truck route or bus route at the intersection that is nearest to his/her destination." West 23rd through West 30th Streets are not truck routes.

Yet Community Board 5, which covers central Manhattan between 14th Street and Central Park, confirmed to Gothamist that interstate buses are a constant presence in their jurisdiction—on narrow and wide streets.
Old 10-01-18, 12:09 PM
mr_bill

Guilty.

Originally Posted by Gothamist
[The defense attorney, Jeremy Saland,] added that the detective who was overseeing the investigation at the scene, allowed Lewis to walk off the scene, because “to him this was just an accident.”
-mr. bill
Old 10-01-18, 01:01 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

According to that article, he may be the first to spend time in jail for failure to yield right of way.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Old 10-01-18, 04:22 PM
mr_bill

Streetsblog - ‘Justice’: Killer of Citi Bike Rider Dan Hanegby is Guilty

-mr. bill
Old 10-01-18, 06:23 PM
csport

Bikes: Soma Double Cross Disc (2017), red Hardrock FS (circa 1996)

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 217 Post(s)
Liked 155 Times in 102 Posts
Originally Posted by Gothamist
In closing arguments on Monday, Lewis’s attorney, Jeremy Saland, claimed that Hanegby was “oblivious” to the bus behind him “and lost control of the bike.”
It is defendant's lawer's duty to counter the prosecutor, but this statement is ridiculous. It may not be obvious to general public, but here is a short note on countersteering by Jan Heine: https://www.adventurecycling.org/def...ring_Heine.pdf
The rider "lost control of the bike" because the bus hit the handlebars. Assuming that the bars were twisted by 15 degrees and no wheel slipping, the bike would be thrown into a curve of radius equal to wheelbase/angle = wheelbase*180/(pi*angle_in_degrees) = 60/angle_in_degrees = 4m. Now, the acceleration when riding a curve is velocity^2/radius. Assuming velocity of 5 m/s (11mph), acceleration is 6 m/s^2, roughly 2/3 of gravity. For a 150lbs rider+bike the centrifugal force amounts to 100lbf, acting from right to left. The rider has zero chances in such situation. Claim that the rider lost control of the bike because of being oblivious contradicts the laws of physics.
That should have been stressed by the DA's office. The exact nature and the size of the effect was not obvious to me before I thought about it, and I majored in physics. Given that the defense can hire some paid expert witnesses, can DA's office use experts willing to work for them on a pro bono basis? Given that the DA is a public prosecutor, can public assist him in such cases? There are many cyclists with a degree in physics who would be willing to counter the scientifically wrong claims made by defense.
Old 10-01-18, 06:45 PM
CliffordK

Finding the driver guilty of any charge will open the bus company and driver to lawsuits.

It is unlikely this will be the last we hear of this case.
Old 10-01-18, 11:39 PM
vol

According to that article, he may be the first to spend time in jail for failure to yield right of way.
The impression I got was that this driver may well end up not actually serving jail time just like all the others that were found guilty:

Lewis will be sentenced on October 22nd, and he now faces up to 30 days in jail. Marco Conner, the Legal & Legislative Director of Transportation Alternatives, told Gothamist that he's not aware of any driver who's spent time in jail after being found guilty of the Right of Way Law.
Old 10-26-18, 12:59 PM
mr_bill

Max sentence.

”[It] is important for me to fight for some justice for Dan, my husband and the father of my children. In doing so, I ask you to assign the hardest punishment possible to the driver.”

-mr. bill
Old 10-28-18, 07:08 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

It's a good letter, and it shows how unjust the sentence is. I'd like to know if the driver grasps just what he did wrong.

Old 10-28-18, 10:06 PM
vol

The letter only mentioned the pains caused to the family. Obviously and foremost there were the pains suffered by the victim himself before leaving the world. 30 days maximum?
Old 10-29-18, 11:19 AM
mr_bill

It's a good letter, and it shows how unjust the sentence is. I'd like to know if the driver grasps just what he did wrong.
If the operator hadn’t used the GTFOOMW button (horn), and if a reporter didn’t believe an eye witness, and if there wasn’t video, and if a reporter hadn’t watched that painful video, the operator would have said SMIDSY and would have walked.

Understand the police at the scene had a CREDIBLE witness (passenger on the bus with the best view of the crash, not accident) and they chose to IGNORE her!

Because “accidents” happen.

As far as the unjust sentence, it is an unjust CHARGE. DA’s matter

Originally Posted by vol
The letter only mentioned the pains caused to the family. Obviously and foremost there were the pains suffered by the victim himself before leaving the world. 30 days maximum?
Victim impact statements of survivors can’t mention the impact on the deceased. The unjust 30 days maximum is the result of a DA who grossly undercharged. DA’s matter.

-mr. bill

Old 10-29-18, 11:34 AM
JoeyBike
20+mph Commuter

Bikes: Surly LHT, Surly Lowside, a folding bike, and a beater.

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1434 Post(s)
Liked 331 Times in 219 Posts
Sadly, none of this brings back the dead or prevents similar incidents in the future. Our bike share in New Orleans is nearing 1 year of operation and miraculously zero of our drunk tourists have been smacked down so far. Just a matter of time I imagine.

Source

Last edited by JoeyBike; 10-29-18 at 12:02 PM.
Old 10-29-18, 12:08 PM
CliffordK

This conviction will open the driver and company to a significant civil lawsuit.

I'd rather see civil penalties rather than sitting rotting in prison. Take away the DL or CDL if you wish.

Insurance shouldn't cover the entire liability. Take some personal liability too.