Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

NZ politician cycles to hospital to give birth

Search
Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-18, 07:04 AM
asmac

Bikes: Salsa Vaya

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 172 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

It was an electric bike but still...
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-45238768
Old 08-19-18, 08:41 AM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,534 Times in 1,044 Posts
Originally Posted by asmac
""My partner and I cycled because there wasn't enough room in the car for the support crew... but it also put me in the best possible mood!"

Not enough room in the car for the pregnant woman or her partner because the room was needed for "the support crew". Huh?
Old 08-19-18, 10:25 AM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
Well gee-----------they tell me that great grandma gave birth to my grandfather in the morning, cook lunch, and finished plowing the south 40 in the afternoon.
Old 08-19-18, 03:04 PM
tungsten

Bikes: 1962 Cinelli Mod. "B" / 1988 Bailey 531c /2 - '92 Rocky Vertexs' / Obed Baseline / Transition Scout/ Raleigh Willard

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 41 Posts
Originally Posted by asmac
Yah my old physio rode her 10 spd (her words) to the hospital to birth her twin boys. 25 years ago.
But she was Irish. Does that make a difference?
Old 08-19-18, 04:40 PM
asmac

Bikes: Salsa Vaya

Quoted: 172 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by rydabent
Well gee-----------they tell me that great grandma gave birth to my grandfather in the morning, cook lunch, and finished plowing the south 40 in the afternoon.
Back when men were men.
Old 08-25-18, 11:53 PM
Rollfast
What happened?

Bikes: 3 Rollfasts, 3 Schwinns, a Shelby and a Higgins Flightliner in a pear tree!

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1835 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 255 Posts
Originally Posted by tungsten
Yah my old physio rode her 10 spd (her words) to the hospital to birth her twin boys. 25 years ago.
But she was Irish. Does that make a difference?
Her Vauxhall broke down, didn't it?
Old 08-26-18, 12:09 AM
Chris0516

Bikes: 2003 (24)20-Speed Specialized Allez'

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 396 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
More power(or should I say 'more gears') to her.
Old 08-27-18, 11:40 AM
Milton Keynes

Bikes: Trek 1100 road bike, Roadmaster gravel/commuter/beater mountain bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 2281 Post(s)
Liked 1,710 Times in 936 Posts
If you read the article, she rode to the hospital to be induced. It's not like she was in active labor when she was riding to the hospital, which really would have been something.
Old 08-27-18, 12:32 PM
mr_bill

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 2112 Post(s)
Liked 663 Times in 443 Posts
Originally Posted by Milton Keynes
If you read the article, she rode to the hospital to be induced. It's not like she was in active labor when she was riding to the hospital, which really would have been something.
I don't know what you mean by "active labor." But people have ridden bikes during the latent phase of labor. Pause during the contractions, pedal between the contractions.

-mr. bill
Old 08-28-18, 07:00 AM
salcedo

Bikes: Specialized Allez, Trek CrossRip

Quoted: 215 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
How are they going to take the baby back home? Newborns are not supposed to ride on bicycles until their bones and muscles are strong enough to withstand the vibrations.

Also, she was getting an induction.

This sounds like a publicity stunt, not a practical thing.

My wife is due to give birth any day now. We are both avid cyclists, but there is now way cycling to the hospital would be practical.
Old 08-28-18, 08:00 AM
mr_bill

Originally Posted by salcedo
How are they going to take the baby back home? Newborns are not supposed to ride on bicycles until their bones and muscles are strong enough to withstand the vibrations.

My wife is due to give birth any day now. We are both avid cyclists, but there is now way cycling to the hospital would be practical.
Different people make different choices. The fact there her choice might be different than your choice does not make it a "publicity stunt."

It's only in recent times that AAP/CPA strongly recommends parents receive instruction on car seats and parents must have a rear facing car seat to transport an infant home in a vehicle.

A full term infant is typically ready to *LIE* in an infant car seat shortly after birth and *SIT* in a car seat/conventional bicycle seat 9 months after birth.

In Netherlands they sell a rear rack infant bicycle seat for four months and older.

And many people choose to put their infants in infant car seats in their bakfiets or bike trailers. Good short read here.

Anyhow, just over a quarter century ago we drove home in a car from the hospital. The next day I took our then two day old infant out on the Minuteman Bikeway. In a stroller. We waited until they could sit up at 9 months to go onto the rack mounted child carrier on the back of my bike. From there to the trailer bike. And then their own bike. And then their own bike. And then their own bike.

Three score years ago I was transported home in my mother's arms in a car that had no seat belts.

People still tell a story that took place a couple of millennia ago about a mother who traveled on a donkey to give birth. There are conflicting stories of whether she then went to Egypt then home to Nazareth, or straight home to Nazareth, but in either case, she probably carried her one month old in her arms while riding on the back of a donkey.

-mr. bill

Last edited by mr_bill; 08-28-18 at 08:18 AM.
Old 08-28-18, 08:25 AM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

That might explain why "there wasn't enough room in the car for the support crew".

I assume that the mother was not planning to time travel back a few decades or millennia to take the then approved mode for the trip home from the birth site, and also planned to take that trip in a few days rather than four months later.
Old 08-28-18, 08:36 AM
mr_bill

Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike
That might explain why "there wasn't enough room in the car for the support crew".

I assume that the mother was not planning to time travel back a few decades or millennia to take the then approved mode for the trip home from the birth site, and also planned to take that trip in a few days rather than four months later.
Can you point to any research that says infant's brains will be addled if they aren't transported by motorcar?

-mr. bill
Old 08-28-18, 08:44 AM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Originally Posted by mr_bill
Can you point to any research that says infant's brains will be addled if they aren't transported by motorcar?

-mr. bill
No one on this list claimed that. What is in question is how did the mother intended to legally and practically transport the infant home from the hospital after birth in her current environment, not how your mother and her comrades did it six decades ago.
Old 08-28-18, 09:21 AM
mr_bill

Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike
No one on this list claimed that. What is in question is how did the mother intended to legally and practically transport the infant home from the hospital after birth in her current environment, not how your mother and her comrades did it six decades ago.
Oh, I'm sorry, the claim is "until their bones and muscles are strong enough to withstand the vibrations." Any research about that? (Crickets.)

But carrying an infant in a bike trailer, bakfiet or cargo bike is practical. The proof of that is that people carry infants in bike trailers, bakfiets and cargo bikes.

Legally, in New Zealand, the helmet is the only issue:

(7) Subclauses (1) and (5) do not apply to a person if the Director grants the person a written exemption from the requirement to wear a safety helmet on the grounds of religious belief or physical disability or other reasonable grounds.
Do you have ANY grounds to presume that transporting an infant in an infant seat mounted in a bike trailer, in a bakfiet, or in a cargo bike without the infant wearing an unavailable bicycle helmet is unreasonable grounds?

BTW, we don't have the helmet exemption in Massachusetts law. And we have an under 16 must wear helmets. Yet some parents around transport their infants in infant seats in bike trailers, in bakfiets, and in cargo bikes. Legally and practically. One of them in a Nihola bike.

Just like Julie Anne Genter.

If you have any further questions, contact Julie Anne Genter.

In the meantime, breathlessly awaiting your report on the research about infants and bicycle vibrations.

-mr. bill

Last edited by mr_bill; 08-28-18 at 10:02 AM.
Old 08-28-18, 10:43 AM
salcedo

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Different people make different choices. The fact there her choice might be different than your choice does not make it a "publicity stunt."
So you think they rode a bicycle home from the hospital? With her recovering from labor and the baby's cranium still not glued together?

I can't wait to put my baby on my bike. But every source I have read insists that it is not safe to do so until the baby's cranium and neck bones and muscles are strong enough. And you think women can ride a bicycle right after labor? Either she got a C-section, which means that her abdomen is recovering from surgery, or she went trough a vaginal birth and her pelvic floor and vagina just suffered serious trauma. I did not read the whole article, but I really doubt they are riding back home. If they are not riding back home, then it is not practical to take their bikes to the hospital. Someone will have to drive them back, and someone will have to go to the hospital and take her bike home.

I respect people making different choices. I just think that the only reason why they chose to ride their bikes to the hospital is to improver her public image. Do you really think I'm wrong about that?
Old 08-28-18, 10:47 AM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Oh, I'm sorry, the claim is "until their bones and muscles are strong enough to withstand the vibrations." Any research about that? (Crickets.)

But carrying an infant in a bike trailer, bakfiet or cargo bike is practical. The proof of that is that people carry infants in bike trailers, bakfiets and cargo bikes.

Legally, in New Zealand, the helmet is the only issue:

Do you have ANY grounds to presume that transporting an infant in an infant seat mounted in a bike trailer, in a bakfiet, or in a cargo bike without the infant wearing an unavailable bicycle helmet is unreasonable grounds?

BTW, we don't have the helmet exemption in Massachusetts law. And we have an under 16 must wear helmets. Yet some parents around transport their infants in infant seats in bike trailers, in bakfiets, and in cargo bikes. Legally and practically. One of them in a Nihola bike.

Just like Julie Anne Genter.

If you have any further questions, contact Julie Anne Genter.

In the meantime, breathlessly awaiting your report on the research about infants and bicycle vibrations.

-mr. bill
You are the only "breathless" poster rambling on about helmets, bakfiets, and Massachusetts law. Who gives a darn about those irrelevant sideshows other than the breathless poster from Massachusetts? Ms Gartner did not ride to the hospital on a bakfiets or a cargo bike, and presumably had no intention of riding one home. How she transported the baby home is anybody's guess but it is probably safe to say she complied with NZ law, if not common sense and used an appropriate, practical and safe arrangement for transporting a newborn and maybe even expelled some of the "support crew" and found some room in the family car for the trip home.
Old 08-28-18, 03:03 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

So you think they rode a bicycle home from the hospital? With her recovering from labor and the baby's cranium still not glued together?

I can't wait to put my baby on my bike. But every source I have read insists that it is not safe to do so until the baby's cranium and neck bones and muscles are strong enough. And you think women can ride a bicycle right after labor? Either she got a C-section, which means that her abdomen is recovering from surgery, or she went trough a vaginal birth and her pelvic floor and vagina just suffered serious trauma. I did not read the whole article, but I really doubt they are riding back home. If they are not riding back home, then it is not practical to take their bikes to the hospital. Someone will have to drive them back, and someone will have to go to the hospital and take her bike home.
In order to get baby home safely, have peace of mind, not cause wear and tear on Mom, and leave room for the "support crew" in the car, [AND comply with the laws of Massachusetts and the inhabitant therein,] AND generate some more electrons of publicity, perhaps the happy parents could walk home and bring home their bundle of joy in a car seat mounted in a wheelbarrow.
Old 08-28-18, 06:59 PM
mr_bill

I respect people making different choices. I just think that the only reason why they chose to ride their bikes to the hospital is to improver her public image. Do you really think I'm wrong about that?
Do people who accuse others of a “publicity stunt” *really* respect other’s decisions?

Let her and her partner talk to their doctor. The infant seat in the Nihola cargo bike says she and her partner have ALREADY made a different choice than you have or will.

People who “respect” different choices also tried to convince me that I was mad to put my child on the back of my bicycle. EVER!

And your assumption that SHE must be pedaling her infant home is - interesting. (What is her partner, chopped liver?)

BTW, apropos nothing at all, during our childcare training, I was told that I MUST put my child in a rear facing child seat in the rear seat of my car. Uh, I don’t have a rear seat in my car. Well I was told I MUST not put my child in a rear facing child seat in the front passenger seat because of the air bags. Uh, my car does not have any air bags. Well I MUST attach the rear facing child seat with the seatbelt and I may need a locking adapter for the retractable belt. Uh, I have seatbelts, even shoulder harnesses, but they don’t retract so I don’t need an adapter. (Crickets.)

But no matter. Your research into conventional child carriers for bicycles is spot on. Consult your doctor about when your child will be able to sit in a seat.

-mr. bill

Last edited by mr_bill; 08-28-18 at 07:08 PM.
Old 08-28-18, 08:01 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Do people who accuse others of a “publicity stunt” *really* respect other’s decisions?

Let her and her partner talk to their doctor. The infant seat in the Nihola cargo bike says she and her partner have ALREADY made a different choice than you have or will.
What was that "different choice" made by the NZ couple about bringing their newborn infant home from the hospital?

How do know that their decision was any different than the recent choice made by Salcedo, and just about every other couple in NZ and Massachusetts?
Old 08-29-18, 05:04 AM
salcedo

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Hey Mr Bill

Yeah, people that respect other people’s choices wonder about their motives. There is nothing wrong about that.

Im glad you realize she won’t be pedaling one after giving birth. Maybe you find it very convenient to ride your bicycle places when you can’t ride back, but most people don’t.

you also can’t deny that she, a professional politician, got some press coverage from riding her back to the hospital. Politicians love press coverage.

She did something that is not practical per se, but has the added benefit of free publicity. That precisely what a puvlicity stunt.

but maybe you are right and she rode home with a reared vagina or an abdominal surgery (lol no, you are being silly)
Old 08-29-18, 07:07 AM
mr_bill

How can an adult woman who can't currently sit on a saddle or pedal safely travel by bicycle?

(And yes 'bent crew, we know that the answer is also a tandem 'bent.)

Cycling during pregnancy and with a baby.

Radfahren mit baby

Originally Posted by "Radfahren mit baby
Es gibt kein gesetzlich festgelegtes Mindestalter für die Mitnahme von
Kindern auf dem Fahrrad und im Kinderfahrradanhänger. Bei Säuglingen und
Kleinkindern, die noch nicht sitzen können, ist immer ein spezieller Einsatz
(Babyschale / Babysitz / Hängematte) notwendig, der das Kind in einer liegenden
Positionhält und schützt.

There is no statutory minimum age for taking along
Children on the bike and in the children's bike trailer. In infants and
Infants who can not sit yet are always a special task
(Baby seat / baby seat / hammock) necessary, the child in a lying
Position holds and protects.

The usual cynics see someone on a publicity stunt.

I see someone who talks the talk and walks the walk, er, pedals the pedal.

Their infant either already has or soon will ride in a cargo bike. Unless you are BEYOND cynical and think that the infant seat in the Nihola is also a publicity stunt.

-mr. bill

Last edited by mr_bill; 08-29-18 at 07:16 AM.
Old 08-29-18, 09:47 AM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Their infant either already has or soon will ride in a cargo bike. Unless you are BEYOND cynical and think that the infant seat in the Nihola is also a publicity stunt.

-mr. bill
Or the infant will never ride in the pictured cargo bike, whatever, it is irrelevant to how this mother (or any other mother) and her newborn can get home from the hospital after delivery.

The pregnant woman in this case "pedaled" an ebike to the hospital and the question remains how did she plan and/or actually bring the newborn home. A picture of a cargo bike not used for the purpose in question and that may be used sometime in the future is irrelevant.

Equally irrelevant is German guidance for riding around town with an older infant.

Keep on Googling and perhaps you might find one mother, somewhere in the First World, who did ride home from the hospital with her newborn on a bicycle-like-object in this Century. If found, you can be sure it was for publicity purposes, due to mental impairment, failure of hospital oversight of compliance with release protocols, or out of desperation; or a combination of these reasons.
Old 08-29-18, 09:48 AM
salcedo

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
So you really think she rode back home
from the hospital after labor with her baby? And you really think she didn’t care about the publicity at all? is that really what you are saying?

btw there is plenty of research on the effects of vibrations during transport on newborns. The research mostly focuses on ambulances. Just go to google scholar and check it out.

How can an adult woman who can't currently sit on a saddle or pedal safely travel by bicycle?

(And yes 'bent crew, we know that the answer is also a tandem 'bent.)

Cycling during pregnancy and with a baby.

Radfahren mit baby

The usual cynics see someone on a publicity stunt.

-mr. bill
Old 08-29-18, 11:53 AM
MoAlpha
• —

Bikes: Shmikes

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 10165 Post(s)
Liked 5,856 Times in 3,153 Posts
The issue with infants on bikes applies to carriers where the child is seated upright. Babies are at risk for spinal injury when transported in this way until they have good head control when sitting, which usually comes at about 6 mos. Before that, seated bicycle transport will void the warranty.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.