Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Tandem Cycling
Reload this Page >

Loose captain’s crank

Search
Notices
Tandem Cycling A bicycle built for two. Want to find out more about this wonderful world of tandems? Check out this forum to talk with other tandem enthusiasts. Captains and stokers welcome!

Loose captain’s crank

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-18, 04:48 AM
reburns

Bikes: 2005 Trek T2000; 2005 Co-motion Speedster Co-pilot; various non-tandem road and mountain bikes

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 39 Posts
Loose captain’s crank

Our captain’s crank arm does not stay tight on the spindle. The bolt backs out after a few miles regardless of tightening torque. It is an FSA SL-K crank with a hollow spindle on a 2005 Speedster. The BB says 24mm. A mechanic told me this problem is due to wear on the splined connection between the crank and spindle. He made a temporary fix using razor blade strips as shims inserted into the splines, which solved the problem for now but does not allow for disassembly/assembly for packing into travel cases.

Im wondering if anyone else has encountered this problem and found a better fix. Or if I have to replace the cranks, if anyone has a recommendation for a replacement. Thanks in advance for any advice.
Old 10-30-18, 11:46 AM
OneIsAllYouNeed

Bikes: Chinook travel/gravel/family tandem, Chinook all-road, Motobecane fatbike

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 232 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 25 Posts
BB30 splines and SRAM GXP splines seem to hold up much better than FSA's Mega Exo. I'm partial to SRAM Force or Rival cranks helicoiled for use on a tandem. Your current eccentric should work with either GXP or BB386 (86mm long, 30mm diameter bearing span) spindles with a new bottom bracket.
Old 10-31-18, 08:13 AM
DubT

Bikes: Trek Speed Concept 9.9, 2011 Calfee Tetra Tandem

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by reburns
Our captain’s crank arm does not stay tight on the spindle. The bolt backs out after a few miles regardless of tightening torque. It is an FSA SL-K crank with a hollow spindle on a 2005 Speedster. The BB says 24mm. A mechanic told me this problem is due to wear on the splined connection between the crank and spindle. He made a temporary fix using razor blade strips as shims inserted into the splines, which solved the problem for now but does not allow for disassembly/assembly for packing into travel cases.

Im wondering if anyone else has encountered this problem and found a better fix. Or if I have to replace the cranks, if anyone has a recommendation for a replacement. Thanks in advance for any advice.
What length crank arm do you need, I have a set of Shimano Ultegra 175mm cranks that I might be willing to part with.
Old 10-31-18, 07:18 PM
reburns

Bikes: 2005 Trek T2000; 2005 Co-motion Speedster Co-pilot; various non-tandem road and mountain bikes

Originally Posted by DubT
What length crank arm do you need, I have a set of Shimano Ultegra 175mm cranks that I might be willing to part with.
DubT, thanks for the offer. As it turns out, I decided to contact Comotion today to see if they could help, and by an amazing stroke of luck they have an identical NOS crankset that they are sending to me at a reasonable cost. Looks like my problem is solved.
Old 11-06-18, 03:54 PM
PMK

Bikes: 2006 Co-Motion Roadster (Flat Bars, Discs, Carbon Fork), Some 1/2 bikes and a couple of KTM's

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I may be wrong, but thought that when I spoke to FSA regarding parts for our tandem cranks, they indicated the Gossamers were to have A certain grade of Loctie applied to the clean splines to prevent crank arm loosening.
Old 11-06-18, 04:19 PM
reburns

Originally Posted by PMK
I may be wrong, but thought that when I spoke to FSA regarding parts for our tandem cranks, they indicated the Gossamers were to have A certain grade of Loctie applied to the clean splines to prevent crank arm loosening.
When I contacted FSA, the advice given was to grease the splines, apply blue Loctite to the threads of the bolt, and use a wave spring washer which should compress half way when the bolt is at the torque written on the bolt head. It could be that using a wave washer and Loctite might have kept my old cranks from loosening, but I went ahead and installed the replacement cranks from Co-motion instead.
Old 11-07-18, 08:22 AM
PMK

Bikes: 2006 Co-Motion Roadster (Flat Bars, Discs, Carbon Fork), Some 1/2 bikes and a couple of KTM's

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by reburns

When I contacted FSA, the advice given was to grease the splines, apply blue Loctite to the threads of the bolt, and use a wave spring washer which should compress half way when the bolt is at the torque written on the bolt head. It could be that using a wave washer and Loctite might have kept my old cranks from loosening, but I went ahead and installed the replacement cranks from Co-motion instead.
To lazy to pull down the box with those cranks FSA cranks in it. We run Race Face Tandem cranks so so looseness issues with those for us.
Could be the Loctite was on the Stoker cranks and not the Captain cranks, I would need to take a look and refresh how they assemble. Whatever it was, it seemed dumb and not able to truly tighten up.

Regardless, good to hear what you bought makes you happy and works.