Search
Notices
Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals. Use this subforum for all requests as to "How much is this vintage bike worth?"Do NOT try to sell it in here, use the Marketplaces.

1983? Pogliaghi dumpster find

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-18, 06:53 PM
robynator

Bikes: Ibis Ripley, Santa Cruz V10, Rocky Mountain Vertex single speed, Curtlo CX, Bianchi CX, a random assortment of cruisers and clunkers

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
1983? Pogliaghi dumpster find

My boyfriend found this bike in a construction site dumpster outside of a house getting remodeled or torn down, it definitely seemed like a bike worth rescuing. I've been doing a little bit of research and I think it's a 1983 or thereabouts. Most drivetrain parts look to be Campagnolo, but I'm not sure about the front derailleur. It has some rust, and a lot of grease and grime which I've tried to tackle after taking photos. My local shop guy has no idea what it's value might be, and Ebay has not been especially helpful either for a complete bike in this condition, but I plan on probably Ebaying it since I really don't need another bike--or to take on another bike project right now. I'm having trouble getting photos attached--it's telling me I need 10 posts to post URLs...but they're attachments, not URLs--however I think the photos all show up somewhere in my user profile. Not very forum savvy at the moment!

Last edited by robynator; 10-31-18 at 07:11 PM.
Old 10-31-18, 07:14 PM
oldrolex

Bikes: Waterford RS 22, Waterford 1100, Salsa Marakesh, Soma Stanyon, Surly Ice Cream Truck

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ya! Thats a stupid rule
Old 10-31-18, 07:55 PM
cb400bill
Forum Moderator

Bikes: Fuji SL2.1 Carbon Di2 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 4 Trek Checkpoint ALR-5 Viscount Aerospace Pro Colnago Classic Rabobank Schwinn Waterford PMount Raleigh C50 Cromoly Hybrid Legnano Tipo Roma Pista

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 3091 Post(s)
Liked 6,600 Times in 3,785 Posts
robynator welcome to Bike Forums.

After finding your post I thought I’d take a minute to explain to you why you can’t post a picture yet. We are by far the largest bicycle themed forum in the world. And therefore we are a ripe target for spammers to attempt to advertise their wares. In an effort to reduce the amount of spam that we have to deal with we have instituted a number of things.

One of which is withholding new forum members from posting pictures or links until they have made 10 posts. That gives us enough time to sort out most of the spammers from the regular forum members. Another measure we had installed is 5 posts in 24 hours limit to new forum members. Once you get past 10 posts both of those restrictions are automatically removed.

Forums want new threads and posts and welcome new forum members. This may upset some people and they may vent about it. Perhaps just ask why there is a limit. An easy way to get your post count up is to go to our Introductions forum and introduce yourself. Then maybe take a couple of minutes and greet some other new forum members. Participate!

Thank you.
Old 11-01-18, 08:31 AM
Giacomo 1 

Bikes: Colnago Super, Basso Gap, Pogliaghi, Fabio Barecci, Torelli Pista, Miyata 1400A

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 316 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
You might have made a great find.

According to which bio of Sante Pogliaghi you read, it was somewhere between 81 to 83 that he sold the rights to his bikes to Rossin, who went onto making them until the late 80's when Sante gave the rights to the Basso brothers, who still market them today.

An original Sante made bike is worth a lot more than the Rossin or Basso made Pog's. If there is a stamp on the seat lug that says PSM and if there is a chronological sequential serial number on the seat lug or head lug, then it was made by Pogliaghi himself. He did most of his own work. If it doesn't have that, then it is likely a Rossin. Still pretty valuable and a good bike, but its the Sante made bikes that hold the real value.

As for price, its tough to say without pics, but a clean original is probably in the $1500 range, while a Rossin made Pog is probably half.
Old 11-01-18, 10:11 PM
robynator

Bikes: Ibis Ripley, Santa Cruz V10, Rocky Mountain Vertex single speed, Curtlo CX, Bianchi CX, a random assortment of cruisers and clunkers

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It has a serial number on the head tube, 13079, but no PSM seat lug stamp that I can find. According to my research so far that puts it around 1983, which sounds like maybe a toss-up as to whether it's an original. It's not in excellent shape; needs a lot of love and elbow grease to look pretty again, and again I'm not sure how much that affects the value of such a bike. It could be a fun restoration project if I had the time or wanted a road bike, but somebody else will probably enjoy it more.
Old 11-01-18, 10:30 PM
StarBiker

Bikes: Bianchi Grizzly, Cannondale F700,

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 807 Post(s)
Liked 154 Times in 123 Posts
Originally Posted by robynator
It has a serial number on the head tube, 13079, but no PSM seat lug stamp that I can find. According to my research so far that puts it around 1983, which sounds like maybe a toss-up as to whether it's an original. It's not in excellent shape; needs a lot of love and elbow grease to look pretty again, and again I'm not sure how much that affects the value of such a bike. It could be a fun restoration project if I had the time or wanted a road bike, but somebody else will probably enjoy it more.
Condition always affects something. I offered to help you with the pics.
Old 11-01-18, 10:40 PM
robynator

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by StarBiker
Condition always affects something. I offered to help you with the pics.
Ahh yes, but I can't use personal messages either until I get to 10 posts... I'd better keep working on that!
Old 11-01-18, 10:43 PM
malcala622

Bikes: 1983 Basso Gap...2013 Colnago CX-1...2015 Bianchi Intenso

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 1199 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 717 Posts
@robynator send pics to me

I'll post them for u

Last edited by malcala622; 11-02-18 at 10:17 AM.
Old 11-01-18, 10:56 PM
malcala622

Pic Assist...the headset alone is great score

Old 11-01-18, 10:57 PM
malcala622

I have got to go dumpster diving in your town.
Old 11-02-18, 08:42 AM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5888 Post(s)
Liked 3,471 Times in 2,079 Posts
Originally Posted by malcala622
i have got to go dumpster diving in your town.
+ 1.
Old 11-02-18, 08:44 AM
bikemig 

The frame has obvious issues that will drive down the value considerably as it will need to be refinished and then it's no longer original. I'd put it up for $200 on CL, save yourself the ebay fees, and call it a day. If you want to maximize your return, I'd part the bike out and sell the frame for say $100 on CL and the parts separately on ebay for whatever nutty price you think you can get.
Old 11-02-18, 09:02 AM
StarBiker

What about the aluminum on rust treatment? I would make an effort and try to clean the bike up the best I can. Hell, you might even enjoy riding it after it's cleaned, and serviced if you go that route.
And it's a small frame. You can get more than $200 out of that bike.
Old 11-02-18, 09:35 AM
Giacomo 1 

Bikes: Colnago Super, Basso Gap, Pogliaghi, Fabio Barecci, Torelli Pista, Miyata 1400A

Quoted: 316 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
Yeah, this is a tough one. Your bike looks to be right on the edge of when Sante gave up the rights to Rossin. The serial numbers would make It appear to be a Rossin, but then again, I'm not sure if Rossin kept the same serial numbers set up.

The decal placement may be the biggest clue, as it looks like the Rossins put them in the same places. It also looks as though you have 2 water bottle bosses, which I think became the norm around 84, not before.

I guess I would clean it up and then put in on the bay for a price between a Sante Pog and a Rossin model and see what happens. I think this bike is worth more than 100 or 200 bucks to the right buyer that appreciates the pedigree, which you can find on e bay, not so much CL Good Luck!

Last edited by Giacomo 1; 11-02-18 at 09:40 AM.
Old 11-02-18, 10:46 AM
robynator

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the input, everyone! And thank you malcala622 for the photo posting assist!

The rust definitely makes it a full restoration project, something I don't have time for at the moment. I've got it cleaned up pretty well now but could probably go even more crazy and put all of the components into a parts washer to get the last bits of grime away. I thought for a minute about keeping it, but a) have no room for more bikes in the storage shed and b) haven't even touched my 'cross bike all year, which is my usual road bike. Roads are getting more crowded with tourists here in the summer, and fall time is the best for mountain biking...

The bike shop's owner said yesterday that his cousin might be interested in buying it. For how much, I don't know, he seemed to think it was worth less than $200. I agree that Ebay is probably the best place to find a buyer who is really looking for something like this, and maybe will get a little more for it. Any extra cash won't hurt at all right now.
Old 11-02-18, 10:47 AM
robynator

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by malcala622
I have got to go dumpster diving in your town.
Incline Village is the next town over, one of the most expensive/wealthy zip codes in the U.S. Ridiculous things can be found getting thrown away over there!
Old 11-02-18, 10:49 AM
bikemig 

Originally Posted by StarBiker
What about the aluminum on rust treatment? I would make an effort and try to clean the bike up the best I can. Hell, you might even enjoy riding it after it's cleaned, and serviced if you go that route.
And it's a small frame. You can get more than $200 out of that bike.
Parted out, yes. Not likely as it sits unless you find a motivated buyer. That frame needs serious work and brings down the value of the entire bike.

A lot depends on how bad that rust is. I'll bet that bike has rust issues inside as well as outside.
Old 11-02-18, 12:47 PM
cyclophilia 

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked 101 Times in 63 Posts
Robynator: the front derailleur resembles an Ofmega Premier.

See this Velobase page:

VeloBase.com - Component: Ofmega Premier

Ofmega Premier front derailleur, image from Velobase courtesy of an eBay seller

You might try some aluminum foil dampened with water to remove the rust from the chrome, then use Quick-Glo to further polish and protect the finish.

How would you feel about retaining all the components for a future potential Italian project?

Nice find.
Old 11-02-18, 07:16 PM
StarBiker

I have a crystal ball, I can tell you what your bike needs with only seeing a few pics.

Again, clean it up, and see if you like it.
Old 11-03-18, 07:50 PM
jet sanchEz

Quoted: 947 Post(s)
Liked 850 Times in 386 Posts
Sell the headset on eBay for $200 or so.
Old 11-03-18, 09:22 PM
malcala622

Originally Posted by jet sanchEz
Sell the headset on eBay for $200 or so.

Whoa whoa not so fast there Jet. Lets see what OP wants to to with the bike as a whole first.

On another note $180 will get you an NOS Colnago headset, Semi used for ~$120
Old 11-08-18, 10:01 AM
Paletti

Bikes: 1985 DeRosa SLX, 1994 DeRosa Primato, 2009 DeRosa x-light, 1993 Paletti, 1983 Colnago aero cx, 1984 Colnago Mexico, 1983 Colner strato professional, 2016 Colnago V1-R

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Campy Triomphe groupset. Crank, r derail, brakes. It looks like maybe ofmega FD and 3t seatpost. As other have said this is a mid to late 1980's Rossin run frame. Not sure in condition and parts it's worth more than 200 bucks.
Old 11-12-18, 09:35 AM
robynator

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well, I've had a nice week off on vacation, and some time to think about what to do with this bike.

Originally Posted by cyclophilia

You might try some aluminum foil dampened with water to remove the rust from the chrome, then use Quick-Glo to further polish and protect the finish.

How would you feel about retaining all the components for a future potential Italian project?

Nice find.
That is a good idea for the rust removal, I might try that and see if it helps clean it up a little bit.

The final decision I think is between listing it on Ebay for around $400 and seeing what happens, or selling it to the bike shop owner's cousin for probably quite a bit less but not having to box it up and ship it. While the components seem really high quality, and it's a neat bike, it does need some work and probably new paint as well. While I have the resources to do this, I'm definitely not enough of a road rider to want to make a project out of it to keep and ride, or hang onto a box of parts for sometime off in the distant future. Dry storage is at a premium here, and I'm tripping over bicycles in the shed as it is trying to keep them all out of the weather in winter. Could use some extra cash as well right now.
Old 11-17-18, 11:28 AM
robynator

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yayy I can post pics now! All shined up as best as I could get it, although some of the rust spots are where the chrome or paint flaked off so I can't do much with them. Measured the frame at 50 cm, a bit on the small side for me. Not bad looking for a dumpster bike!

Old 11-18-18, 12:42 AM
StarBiker

I may sound difficult, but those pics don't show much of anything. Is that a tree, or the beanstalk in the back yard?

Get out of bright sunlight, and take some close up pics of the drive side first. Then take some close up pics of the trouble spots cleaned up (People are going to want to see what those chainstays look like cleaned up), don't be afraid to get close, very close. And take some close up shots of the components.

When I post pics on CL I use the full compliment of pics allowed, and I would do the same if I were trying to sell this on Ebay.
Make sure your pics are not blurry!

(I posted a couple pics of one of my bikes recently and they suck, but I wanted to get a couple quick shots up, you look like you did the same)

Last edited by StarBiker; 11-18-18 at 12:49 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.