Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

Shopping for a hybrid for my dad

Search
Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-18, 02:13 AM
JoeBelowAverage

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi,

I'm currently looking for a hybrid for my dad, he's in his 50s and I want to get him a present since I started getting some income.

He'll be using it mainly for some recreational cycling in the park and for groceries. Should I buy a hybrid with discs for 'future proofing' since bike manufacturers are pushing and swapping to them or are V brakes still serviceable?

I'm currently looking at the Trek 2019 FX2 disc and FX3 disc, is there a huge difference between an alloy and carbon fork on the FX3? Is the extra gear on the back, thru-axles and carbon fork worth the extra for the FX3 disc?
​​​
Is it worth asking the store if they have any of last year's fx2/FX3 disc models to save some money?

​​​​​​Trying to get the FX3 disc is already quite a stretch since I'm a student, any other recommendations would be appreciated.

Thanks!
Old 11-01-18, 03:00 AM
subgrade

Bikes: Focus Crater Lake

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 391 Post(s)
Liked 337 Times in 204 Posts
If he is really going to use it only for recreational cycling and getting groceries, than no, there is no need to pay extra for disc brakes. V-brakes are still used widely and looks like they aren't going anywhere in the foreseeable future, as they are cheap and simple. But if you can get a good deal on a bike with disc brakes then go for it.

Carbon fork will be a little lighter than alloy, but their main advantage is some flex which gives a smoother, more comfy ride compared to alloy forks, which are very stiff. So that's worth thinking about. However, an extra gear on the back and through-axles won't offer any significant advantage in your case.
Old 11-01-18, 05:24 AM
hokiefyd 

Bikes: More bikes than riders

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1444 Post(s)
Liked 761 Times in 569 Posts
The V-brakes would work well. I have found them to be a little more temperamental than disc brakes (to adjust), but a good adjustment on them should last a while. The carbon fork would definitely add comfort over an alloy fork.

As an alternative, check out the Trek Verve. That would be a perfect candidate for your father. It'll have a more upright riding position and much larger tires for more comfort. The Verve 2 model is $560 (similar to an FX 2) and has a similar 3x8 drivetrain. One big advantage, though, especially for the type of riding you cite, is the 45mm tires vs. the 35mm tires on the FX.
Old 11-01-18, 09:25 AM
katsup

Bikes: 1995 ParkPre Pro 825 2021 Soma Fog Cutter v2 and 2021 Cotic SolarisMax

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 607 Post(s)
Liked 560 Times in 318 Posts
My father in his 60s rides an older (2010) Trek 7.2 FX and his only trouble is getting his leg over the top bar. I have offered to find him a low entry model, but he refers to them as women bikes and doesn't want one. He has also ridden an older Verve 3 with suspension and picked the FX over it, but that was likely due to the suspension which the newer ones don't have.

Lately I have been trying to get him on a rigid 26in mountain bike since the top bar is lower, but I haven't found one he likes more than the FX.
Old 11-01-18, 10:05 AM
Riveting

Bikes: '13 Diamondback Hybrid Commuter, '17 Spec Roubaix Di2, '17 Spec Camber 29'er, '19 CDale Topstone Gravel

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 590 Post(s)
Liked 445 Times in 260 Posts
I commute on an ALL aluminum Diamondback hybrid, w/o disc brakes. $400 brand new. 1,000's of carefree (and carfree) miles. If he plans on riding on steep descents, specifically in the rain, then disc brakes are recommended. Otherwise save your money on those upgrades and spend the savings on a good rack/trunk bag/panniers for his grocery runs.
Old 11-02-18, 03:58 AM
subgrade

Bikes: Focus Crater Lake

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 391 Post(s)
Liked 337 Times in 204 Posts
Originally Posted by katsup
My father in his 60s rides an older (2010) Trek 7.2 FX and his only trouble is getting his leg over the top bar. I have offered to find him a low entry model, but he refers to them as women bikes and doesn't want one. He has also ridden an older Verve 3 with suspension and picked the FX over it, but that was likely due to the suspension which the newer ones don't have.

Lately I have been trying to get him on a rigid 26in mountain bike since the top bar is lower, but I haven't found one he likes more than the FX.
That must be a first when I hear of someone stepping over the top tube on a diamond frame, instead of swinging the leg over the rear wheel
Old 11-02-18, 12:30 PM
Kayaksalone

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by subgrade
That must be a first when I hear of someone stepping over the top tube on a diamond frame, instead of swinging the leg over the rear wheel
Yea shouldn't it be the same as getting on a horse?

Quick note if he has a hard time lifting is leg that high have him stand further from the left side of the bike and lean it towards him. This will lower the height and then you straighten it up right as you move to your right.
Not sure If I worded that correctly but I remember that is how I used to get on a ten speed road bike when I was a kid and a 26 inch bike was to big for me to get on just by lifting my leg over it.
Old 11-02-18, 12:50 PM
katsup

Bikes: 1995 ParkPre Pro 825 2021 Soma Fog Cutter v2 and 2021 Cotic SolarisMax

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 607 Post(s)
Liked 560 Times in 318 Posts
Originally Posted by Kayaksalone
Quick note if he has a hard time lifting is leg that high have him stand further from the left side of the bike and lean it towards him. This will lower the height and then you straighten it up right as you move to your right.
Not sure If I worded that correctly but I remember that is how I used to get on a ten speed road bike when I was a kid and a 26 inch bike was to big for me to get on just by lifting my leg over it.
That is what he does, or he uses a curb. I'd still like to eventually find him an easier bike to get on though.