Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Will Electric Bikes Overtake Standard Bike Sales?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Will Electric Bikes Overtake Standard Bike Sales?

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-18, 12:29 PM
johnwalt

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm 69, live in upstate rural NY, can't afford a car and my life would be miserable without my ebike.
Old 11-12-18, 12:34 PM
professorai

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This concern of durable repair is accurate.

Originally Posted by Gresp15C
My biggest worry is that I won't be able to get things like tires that are appropriate for conventional bikes. I can still buy parts that fit frames made 30+ years ago.
While tubes, tires, chain, seat, pedals, stem, & handlebars are standard, my Specialized frame, motor, & battery are proprietary to Specialized. I think ebikes might need replacement in 7 years if spare parts can't be 3d-printed. Like digital cameras and smartphones versus the old SLR's and land-line phones. Still I love my Turbo Vado!
Old 11-12-18, 01:26 PM
mjd420nova

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I've been a bike rider for 60 years and do find the idea of not just an E-bike but a retro-fit for current rides. As a field service engineer(retired), I will wait until the quality and dependability meet my criteria. The retro-fit is if most interest for conversion of tri-cycle units for handicap and disabled riders.
Old 11-12-18, 01:26 PM
CoMoBiker

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I notice that ebikes draw high interest from old bikers like myself. The ability to keep riding with groups makes the ebike a strong contender for riders who can no longer hold the pace of younger stronger riders. A couple years back I had a health issue that knocked my daily ride distance from 20 some miles to about 5. I put an ebike kit on one of my fat tire bikes and put about 4000 miles on it that year, riding most of them with my biker buddies. I sold that kit but have since bought another to play with and greatly enjoy tinkering with it.
A big plus...I’ve not yet seen an ebike being sold with pedals as an OPTION.
Old 11-12-18, 01:48 PM
KraneXL

Bikes: Cannondale Quick SL1 Bike - 2014

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 3405 Post(s)
Liked 240 Times in 185 Posts
The adolescent e-bike hack

Originally Posted by boggy
Well, let's say I hack my bike. My current range is about 20 miles if I go all out on the maximum assist. I have to go 20 miles, and to prolong battery life i want to have at least 20% of battery left after I arrive to my work. So I have to play nice, and reduce the assist, pedal more so battery does not get taxed as bad. If I hack my bike for $200 and try to go at 30MPH to my work, the battery will hit 0% after 10 miles. If I want to preserve my battery life (that sucker cost $1,000 to replace), even with the hack I have to play nice and do the exact same speed I do now.
Maybe you're not interested, but "where there's a will there's a way." Shall we bookmark this page?
That didn't take long now, did it?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ik6poNLzswM

Go to 8:00 for summary.
Old 11-12-18, 02:17 PM
richart
Georgia Traveler

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
I remember reading articles back during the 1970s moped craze predicting that the moped spelled the end of the bicycle.
Old 11-12-18, 05:34 PM
radroad

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 343 Post(s)
Liked 31 Times in 24 Posts
$760 electric bike: 350 watt hours (20 to 25 miles range), mechanical disc brakes, front suspension, headlight, kickstand, 6 speed drive train, throttle, fenders, 20 mph top speed. I could see this appealing to casual riders who don't need a lot of range.

https://www.sears.com/goplus-26inch-...e/p-A013219277

Old 11-12-18, 06:08 PM
Gresp15C

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1062 Post(s)
Liked 665 Times in 421 Posts
This one's only $259.

https://www.sears.com/ancheer-345xj-...4108?rrec=true
Old 11-12-18, 06:21 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,534 Times in 1,044 Posts
Originally Posted by richart
I remember reading articles back during the 1970s moped craze predicting that the moped spelled the end of the bicycle.
What 1970s moped craze?
Old 11-12-18, 07:08 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
I don't think I would ever purchase an electric bike... If the battery got discharged you end up pedaling a 50-60 pound bike. Those batteries are also very expensive to replace.
Old 11-12-18, 07:53 PM
KraneXL

Originally Posted by wolfchild
I don't think I would ever purchase an electric bike... If the battery got discharged you end up pedaling a 50-60 pound bike. Those batteries are also very expensive to replace.
The primary reason why mopeds fell out of favor once their engine failed. Electric motors however, do have the advantage of being less complex, cleaner, more reliable, and significantly more efficient. You can also transport them on trains and buses. A convenience that was unavailable during the moped boom.
Old 11-12-18, 08:21 PM
ccd rider

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mtb_addict
My take is the future is all e-bike. In the future, almost all bikes will be e-powered. Pedal bikes will be as common as fixies are now.

E-bike with limited to low speed will be dominating. E-power provide electrical advanage; while derailleirs provide mechanical advantage that made riding hills so much easier. People said derailleirs were a fad and a cheat. People's opinion change.

The key is cost. When the price of e-bike is about the same as a pedal bike.

I'd luv to have an e-bike. But I would only use the e-motor for hill climb or fighting head wind. It'll make the riding experience more enjoyable. And I bet I'll ride more often because it becomes more fun to ride instead of gruelling and painful. So many times, I decided not to ride because too windy or too hilly...but if I had e-bike, I would have done it.

I enjoy the challenge of the wind or the hills. I am 55, commute to work 30 miles in a day....often three days a week. I also do physical, outside work most of the day, so the going home can be a bigger challenge. I ride on a relatively cheap 29er mountain bike (SE Big Mountain), and it is a good workout. I commute all winter and have commuted that first 15 miles at 4:00am in well below zero temps.

Part of the "fun" is the idea of taking on the obstacles. If I always rode with the wind at my back, warm weather, and flat roads all the time, it wouldn't be as satisfying as pushing myself to see what I can endure. It also helps you appreciate those times when it is a little easier....instead of just expecting it to be that way as a condition for making the decision to ride.
Old 11-12-18, 08:46 PM
radroad

Only $240 for shipping!
Old 11-12-18, 09:13 PM
richart
Georgia Traveler

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike
What 1970s moped craze?
It was a short lived craze. You can read more about it at this link: https://vintagemopeds.net/page-4/

Last edited by richart; 11-12-18 at 09:13 PM. Reason: corrected link
Old 11-12-18, 09:15 PM
jefnvk

Bikes: 2016 Novara Mazama

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 3640 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 51 Posts
Originally Posted by wolfchild
People use that general range argument against electric vehicles too, that doesn't stop their popularity from continuing to increase. As with EVs,the overwhelming majority of the population's needs are already taken care of by current range limitations.
Old 11-12-18, 11:15 PM
Gresp15C

Originally Posted by radroad
Only $240 for shipping!
They must be bringing it on one of those obsolete mechanical bikes.
Old 11-13-18, 12:06 PM
Mogens

Bikes: 2019 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 105, 1973 Raleigh Gran Sports, 1984 Calvino Palomar

Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked 75 Times in 34 Posts
Personally I'm more interested in howe e-bikes might display car sales & usage. The more zero emission vehicles on the street the better.
Likes For Mogens:
Old 11-13-18, 03:14 PM
radroad

They must be bringing it on one of those obsolete mechanical bikes.
But seriously, even at 5 bills, it's still a smokin' deal. There are already some review vids posted about the bike:

Unboxing:

Early review:

Long term review:
Old 11-13-18, 06:34 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,534 Times in 1,044 Posts
Originally Posted by Mogens
Personally I'm more interested in howe e-bikes might display car sales & usage.
Probably not displace car sales in the slightest as they are not suitable as replacements for anybody who actually owns or uses a car or truck for something besides local errands and commuting only in good weather and carrying cargo or passengers is never a concern.

Perhaps displace an insignificant/negligible amount of local automobile trip mileage in good weather.
Old 11-13-18, 07:03 PM
jon c. 

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1591 Post(s)
Liked 1,018 Times in 571 Posts
What 1970s moped craze?
At least where I lived, it was more a media craze than a reality. I knew someone who owned one, but as I recall it never worked very well. You saw a few on the road, but they were never beyond the level of an oddity. I suspect there may have been a few metro areas where they were more popular. I think E-bikes will at least eclipse that 'craze' as the technology and thus the reliability is a lot better, but I don't think they'll become a major transportation alternative.
Old 11-13-18, 07:11 PM
Mogens

Bikes: 2019 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 105, 1973 Raleigh Gran Sports, 1984 Calvino Palomar

Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked 75 Times in 34 Posts
Probably not displace car sales in the slightest as they are not suitable as replacements for anybody who actually owns or uses a car or truck for something besides local errands and commuting only in good weather and carrying cargo or passengers is never a concern.

Perhaps displace an insignificant/negligible amount of local automobile trip mileage in good weather.
I think that's a tad pessimistic, but I guess we'll see. It's obviously going to depend a great deal on what type of environment someone lives in and their circumstances. Here's what I'm thinking for example. I have two daughters (10 and 12 years old) and a wife, as a family we have two cars. In a few years we will begin to need to reevaluate our transportation needs. We don't really want to have more than two cars, so an e-bike or two might make that more viable. So it wouldn't be about getting rid of our cars so much as not adding a third and generally using our cars less. We'd like to get to a point where we're at zero emissions, so this would be part of the solution.
Old 11-13-18, 09:15 PM
Gresp15C

I think that's a tad pessimistic, but I guess we'll see. It's obviously going to depend a great deal on what type of environment someone lives in and their circumstances. Here's what I'm thinking for example. I have two daughters (10 and 12 years old) and a wife, as a family we have two cars. In a few years we will begin to need to reevaluate our transportation needs. We don't really want to have more than two cars, so an e-bike or two might make that more viable. So it wouldn't be about getting rid of our cars so much as not adding a third and generally using our cars less. We'd like to get to a point where we're at zero emissions, so this would be part of the solution.
We've done a similar thing with conventional bikes, before the recent surge in e-bikes. The kids know that the family isn't going to have more than two cars. Mom and Dad already get around by bike whenever possible, and we've gotten the kids into cycling as well. They ride to school, because it means they can get up a few minutes later -- riding is actually quicker than the bus. On many days, neither car leaves the house.

I certainly wouldn't discourage doing the same with e-bikes. We let the kids have some choice in the matter. My daughter got a decrepit old single-speed from a work colleague of mine, and rebuilt it herself. My son turned a bike boom ten speed into a hipster bike. Getting the kids up to speed on maintenance has paid off for us.
Old 11-14-18, 02:09 AM
KraneXL

Riding a bike to school would be like giving it away. Even a beater bike wouldn't stand much of a chance of not being stolen with all those idol minds of the adolescent.
Old 11-14-18, 08:03 AM
Gresp15C

Originally Posted by KraneXL
Riding a bike to school would be like giving it away. Even a beater bike wouldn't stand much of a chance of not being stolen with all those idol minds of the adolescent.
Depends on where you live. My kids haven't had any problems. A huge number of kids ride their bikes. Very few kids drive -- there's nowhere for them to park.
Old 11-14-18, 08:18 AM
jefnvk

Bikes: 2016 Novara Mazama

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 3640 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 51 Posts
Personally I'm more interested in howe e-bikes might display car sales & usage. The more zero emission vehicles on the street the better.
I doubt much at all, except for dense urban centres in year round good weather cities. Not too many people in northern climates find any two wheeled vehicle an acceptable replacement for a car when the snow starts to fall.

Originally Posted by KraneXL
I dunno where you all live, but it must suck never being able to take your bike anywhere without fear of it being stolen.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.