Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Will Electric Bikes Overtake Standard Bike Sales?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Will Electric Bikes Overtake Standard Bike Sales?

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-18, 09:06 AM
Doc_Wui

Bikes: GT Transeo & a half dozen ebike conversions.

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 340 Post(s)
Liked 275 Times in 192 Posts
My ebike saga starts with buying my GT Transeo at Performance Bikes (RIP) in 2015. Probably the best featured bike I've ever owned in my 70 years as an occasional bike rider. We saw our first ebike at the store. At 4-5X the cost of the modest GT Transeo, I noted that I could buy a good enough used car for that kind of money but I promised my wife an ebike and we found one somewhere else at 2X the cost. After seeing how much I liked her ebike, I converted my old Trek 800 to electric a month later for 500 bucks. For a retired engineer, twas an interesting task.

Since then, I've purchased 4 new (and inexpensive) regular bikes ,,,, and motorized them. N+1 applies to electrics,. We wanted folders for travel and had to try a fatbike, etc. My wife wanted something smaller/lighter than her first one The main thing though is that w/o motor assist, I'd ride alone. My wife enjoys getting out again, and the modest hills no longer deter her.
Old 11-18-18, 04:16 PM
radroad

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 343 Post(s)
Liked 31 Times in 24 Posts
Originally Posted by Doc_Wui
My ebike saga starts with buying my GT Transeo at Performance Bikes (RIP) in 2015. Probably the best featured bike I've ever owned in my 70 years as an occasional bike rider. We saw our first ebike at the store. At 4-5X the cost of the modest GT Transeo, I noted that I could buy a good enough used car for that kind of money but I promised my wife an ebike and we found one somewhere else at 2X the cost. After seeing how much I liked her ebike, I converted my old Trek 800 to electric a month later for 500 bucks. For a retired engineer, twas an interesting task.

Since then, I've purchased 4 new (and inexpensive) regular bikes ,,,, and motorized them. N+1 applies to electrics,. We wanted folders for travel and had to try a fatbike, etc. My wife wanted something smaller/lighter than her first one The main thing though is that w/o motor assist, I'd ride alone. My wife enjoys getting out again, and the modest hills no longer deter her.
Any recommendations on ebike kits? I would love a 1K (or higher) watt hour battery kit with either hub motor or mid drive kit.
Old 11-18-18, 05:05 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts

LBS here uses these this the 1KW motor version
So load on the battery is higher, KW/H charge length shorter..

Here buyers are mostly Hunters

Last edited by fietsbob; 11-18-18 at 05:13 PM.
Old 11-19-18, 02:36 PM
radroad

Originally Posted by fietsbob

LBS here uses these this the 1KW motor version
So load on the battery is higher, KW/H charge length shorter..

Here buyers are mostly Hunters

I guess I wasn't being clear enough. I was referring to 1,000+ watt hour batteries. But this is close and it looks like a very nice kit.

Do you all think kits offer better value than prefab bikes generally speaking?
Old 11-19-18, 03:46 PM
fietsbob
Banned

battery would be very heavy with that capacity.

your turn to search

your call I don't own one.. cant project your satisfaction..
Old 11-20-18, 09:20 PM
jeffreythree

Bikes: '90 Schwinn Traveler(retired), '61 Bottecchia, '86 RS Maxima, '17 Jamis Renegade Exile, '92 Trek 920

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 11 Posts
For e-bikes to overtake regular bike sales, then we would need to see places like Walmart selling more e-bikes than regular bikes. No matter how much anyone advocates their use, I don't see them impacting the huge sub $100 bike market.
Old 11-21-18, 05:16 PM
radroad

Big gains in year to year sales for e-bikes in the US. Nearly double the sales in the 1st quarter of 2018 compared to the 1st quarter of 2017. E-bikes are nearly 10% of all US bike sales.

https://www.bicycleretailer.com/stud...s#.W_Xl4S2ZMy5

As has been the case for several years, e-bike sales bolstered the report. Electric bikes accounted for 9.8 percent of all wholesale bike sales in the first quarter, up from 5.5 percent of the total market in the same quarter last year.
Old 11-21-18, 05:29 PM
FrenchFit 
The Left Coast, USA

Bikes: Bulls, Bianchi, Koga, Trek, Miyata

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 361 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 18 Posts
Originally Posted by raceboy
E-bikes have nothing whatsoever to do with cycling, notwithstanding all the special pleading that goes on here on Bike Forums. E-bikes are just another form of motorized transportation.

^This^

People who are avid cyclists are not going to switch as long as they are healthy. The ebikes appeal to a different market: the infirm and wanna-be cyclists/commuters who want out of their cars and traffic but are too lazy/lack the desire to put in the effort of real cycling.
I know you're just trolling, but as a competitive racer (running) and avid cyclist ... I love a good e-bike. They are a hoot to ride, and not just for the infirm. Yes, they are going to swamp regular bike sales in the long run.
Old 11-21-18, 07:37 PM
mackgoo

Bikes: 87 Bianchi X4, 95 Bianchi Ti Mega Tube, 06 Alan Carbon Cross X33, Gold plated Columbus AIR Guerciotti, 74 Galmozzi Super Competizione, 52 Bianchi Paris Roubaix.

Quoted: 259 Post(s)
Liked 540 Times in 166 Posts
I don't know. I do know one thing, I get a sense of satisfaction when I catch and pass on on the flats.
Old 11-26-18, 09:50 AM
mjd420nova

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I'm more interested in the conversion kits. In particular, the front wheel retrofit. I am intending to mout one on the front wheel of a tri-cycle for a handicapped adult. It might be an easier route to mount the driven wheel on the rear axle. The only drawback is the cheap hand brake grips they supply with the units to interupt power to the motor when braking. Not up to the $1,500. to $3,000. price tags on the whole bike.
Old 11-26-18, 04:13 PM
radroad

Originally Posted by mjd420nova
I'm more interested in the conversion kits. In particular, the front wheel retrofit. I am intending to mout one on the front wheel of a tri-cycle for a handicapped adult. It might be an easier route to mount the driven wheel on the rear axle. The only drawback is the cheap hand brake grips they supply with the units to interupt power to the motor when braking. Not up to the $1,500. to $3,000. price tags on the whole bike.
I doubt that the the sales data takes into account conversion kit sales. If it did, it would paint an even rosier picture for e-bike sales. Kits sound great for DIY'ers, but I prefer a prefab bike as it were, just a lot more convenient.
Old 11-26-18, 05:04 PM
Kent T

Bikes: 2002 Trek 800 Singletrack, 1982 Bridgestone Spica

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 32 Posts
Originally Posted by KraneXL
E-bikes aren't going to compel them to get out -- they have to have the desire first. With the inclusion of more, and more automated functions, that makes this the most sedentary older generation in history.
Yes, the infirm and disabled have to want to get out. Being an adaptive athlete, I want my bike rides. And fight Cerebral Palsy spasticity and spina bifida to get there. I also will keep my ride analog to boot, because of my belief that the bicycle is the ultimate simple machine, and maintainable by one's self. My compromises to comfort, and to physical challenge are a MTB used as a City Bike on the trails, gearing which suits me, and a riding position which is comfortable and safe for 54 year old me. Index shifting is new to me, in the past it was road bikes and downtube shifters.
Old 11-26-18, 05:22 PM
Elvo

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 630 Post(s)
Liked 369 Times in 206 Posts
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wHoSp8RvKTg&ab_channel=Srapy

Here's a conversion kit that will get you up to 70 km/h

https://www.aden-sports.com/en/powerkit-race
Old 11-26-18, 05:34 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Probably not in the Winter, Batteries don't work so well when they're cold.
Old 11-27-18, 12:19 PM
Richard25

Bikes: diamondback atroz 2

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
obviously. electric bike become very popular day by day.
Old 11-27-18, 06:30 PM
Gresp15C

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1062 Post(s)
Liked 665 Times in 421 Posts
Originally Posted by fietsbob
Probably not in the Winter, Batteries don't work so well when they're cold.
Granted, it depends on your local climate, but here in Wisconsin, most cyclists -- electric or conventional -- hang it up during the winter. It takes a little bit of motivation to ride at -10 F. But oddly enough I see more cyclists on my commute in snow than in rain. And the ones who are out there usually have a big grin on their faces, all bundled up and riding absurd knobbly bikes.

When I ask my e-cyclist friends if they plan on riding through the winter, they give the same reasons as conventional cyclists give. Cold, darkness, road salt, car traffic, special tires, and lack of proper clothing. The e-bike eliminates some, but not all, of the obstacles against cycling.

The batteries could be manageable. I don't know the specified temperature limits. The bike or its battery can be charged indoors -- at work if not at home. Operating the bike with a reasonable amount of assist may warm the batteries.

I usually don't encourage winter riding unless someone is already over the "hump" of getting into the cycling habit, which might take a year or two for many riders.
Old 11-27-18, 10:51 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,536 Times in 1,045 Posts
Originally Posted by Gresp15C
Granted, it depends on your local climate, but here in Wisconsin, most cyclists -- electric or conventional -- hang it up during the winter. It takes a little bit of motivation to ride at -10 F.

The e-bike eliminates some, but not all, of the obstacles against cycling.

The batteries could be manageable. I don't know the specified temperature limits. The bike or its battery can be charged indoors -- at work if not at home. Operating the bike with a reasonable amount of assist may warm the batteries.
The batteries for an e-bike will provide zero heat for the rider. The physical effort of pedaling a conventional bicycle does provides a semblance of heat for the rider; and when combined with appropriate cold weather clothing makes such cold weather two wheel riding less of a hardship.
Old 11-27-18, 11:19 PM
Gresp15C

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1062 Post(s)
Liked 665 Times in 421 Posts
Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike
The batteries for an e-bike will provide zero heat for the rider. The physical effort of pedaling a conventional bicycle does provides a semblance of heat for the rider; and when combined with appropriate cold weather clothing makes such cold weather two wheel riding less of a hardship.
Oops, good catch. What I meant was, the batteries provide heat for the batteries. The heat dissipated by discharging the batteries warms them up and allows them to operate at a somewhat colder outside temperature. How much, I don't know. I've read that electric cars have to provide a way of heating the batteries when the cars are driven in the cold. IIRC the Tesla batteries contain a built-in heater. I think I read at one website that lithium ion batteries shouldn't be charged below 40 degrees, and the charging circuitry contains a temperature sensor to detect good charging conditions.

You also don't want to charge the batteries too hot. The temperature during charging affects the lifespan of the battery.

Right now, the engineers at my workplace have endless discussions about the behavior of the lithium batteries in their cars and bikes. It's fascinating technology, and not a slam-dunk to make it work well.
Old 11-27-18, 11:20 PM
lkoyanagi

Bikes: Tern D7e

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by radroad
Costco is selling an ebike with suspension, disc brakes and an internal battery for $1K. You can find full suspension folding ebikes online for around $600.
The Costco bike is well worth it considering the level of components, battery and frame construction.
Old 11-28-18, 01:29 AM
KraneXL

Bikes: Cannondale Quick SL1 Bike - 2014

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 3405 Post(s)
Liked 240 Times in 185 Posts
If they gained acceptance it would only be due to a growing niche that needed to be filled. To a traditional cyclist, they wouldn't be of much interest.
Old 12-05-18, 02:56 AM
lkoyanagi

Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by raceboy
E-bikes have nothing whatsoever to do with cycling, notwithstanding all the special pleading that goes on here on Bike Forums. E-bikes are just another form of motorized transportation.

^This^

People who are avid cyclists are not going to switch as long as they are healthy. The ebikes appeal to a different market: the infirm and wanna-be cyclists/commuters who want out of their cars and traffic but are too lazy/lack the desire to put in the effort of real cycling.
Youre just baiting us, because your markets indicate you dont really know.
Old 12-05-18, 05:50 AM
FlMTNdude

Bikes: 1988 Panasonic, 1989 Fuji, Schwinn Beach Cruiser

Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked 60 Times in 45 Posts
However, humans are slowly losing the ability to walk or otherwise physically exert themselves. So no matter the cost, the moped jus may surpass.
Old 12-05-18, 11:31 AM
mackgoo

Bikes: 87 Bianchi X4, 95 Bianchi Ti Mega Tube, 06 Alan Carbon Cross X33, Gold plated Columbus AIR Guerciotti, 74 Galmozzi Super Competizione, 52 Bianchi Paris Roubaix.

Quoted: 259 Post(s)
Liked 540 Times in 166 Posts
Bring them on. The other day I passed 5 or more while on my ride. I felt a great sense of accomplishment from that.
Old 12-05-18, 01:34 PM
lkoyanagi

Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by radroad
E-bikes have supposedly already overtaken standard bike sales in Europe. See video below. Out on the rec trails locally, e-bikes seem to makeup at least half of all bicycle rentals (single rider bikes). Non rental e-bikes are also becoming more common on the rec trails: not quite rare, but a long ways from becoming the majority.

I scoffed at e-bikes 3 years ago, when they were starting to become commonplace at the trade shows. I thought they were a joke. strictly a sales gimmick or maybe a tiny niche for the lazy and/or unfit. I've ridden quite a few e-bikes since then and can no longer deny the fun factor is off the charts.

What do you think? Will electric bikes overtake standard bike sales?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tJEEX72H1Jc
Read Aug. 15, 2018 issue, Bicycle Retailer, online, for a lot of sales information on ebikes. It attempts to answer the question. Tap or click on "Continued" to change pages but double tap or click on the page or icon to zoom. A little on Europe, but nothing on Asia or world from what I gather. Its fun reading so much info.

Retailers seem to consider ebikes as a bike category to track its sales and train its mechanics. Many states are sending them to the Bosch training.
Old 12-05-18, 02:43 PM
radroad

The Big 3 have stepped up their game in a major way for 2019. Here's the Trek Dual Sport+ for example. The battery is beautifully integrated into the downtube and the Bosch motor is noticeably quieter than in previous gen. models. It's quieter and at a lower pitch, so far less objectionable. So both Trek and Bosch have stepped up their game big time for 2019. The Bosch motor produces no drag so it's fine to pedal home even if you wind down the battery to empty.

I'd like to see a higher top end assisted speed (perhaps 25 mph) and more batter capacity, but Trek is designing this bike for the vast majority of the country, where 20 mph appears to be the speed limit in most states.

There are a few other tids and bits I'd like to see, especially a throttle, 25 mph assisted top speed, bigger battery cap (700 watt hours+) and a few other things, but this is the model year where big three e-bikes are starting to look legit. I would give this model serious consideration and the price is far more reasonable than in years past. Trek was asking $5K! for their city e-bikes in the past! Trek and Specialized have definitely turned the corner and are finally producing quality e-bikes:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.