Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

Oops! Learn from my mistake and lucky escape

Search
Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-18, 11:14 AM
Mikefule

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked 115 Times in 78 Posts

I get rather too many punctures on the fixed gear because I'm running cheap 23mm OE tyres until I can afford better, and I tend to ride a lot of farm tracks. Last time I put the bike away, I'd just repaired a puncture.

A rare opportunity for a ride today. I set off to post a letter then went on up the hill to the next village, down the lane, over the footbridge, along the farm track, along the lane, and up the hill to another village, then I had a glorious "knees smoking" descent down a steep little hill, just managing to avoid needing the brakes.

A mile or so later, I noticed a "whiff whiff" sound and saw a dark patch on the tyre. I thought I'd picked up a bit of electrician's tape or something, but I couldn't brush it off with the palm of my glove. In the end, irritated by the noise, I stopped to find that about 3 inches (7.5 cm) of the bead of the tyre had popped off the rim. I was not far short of a sudden blowout of the tube.

If that had happened on the fast decent, it would have hurt.

I've been repairing punctures and replacing tyres and tubes for over 40 years, but I go it wrong this time, and obviously didn't check carefully enough before pumping the tyre up to full pressure.

School boy error #2 was to leave my mini pump on my other bike. Fortunately, I only had 3/4 mile to walk and the weather was pleasant.
Old 11-08-18, 11:29 AM
rseeker

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 318 Post(s)
Liked 149 Times in 104 Posts
A tale well told, very descriptive, feels like being there with you. I'm glad it worked out OK!
Old 11-08-18, 11:33 AM
Bigbus
Very Senior Member

Bikes: Giant Quasar & Fuji Roubaix

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 413 Post(s)
Liked 343 Times in 244 Posts
Yes indeed, a tale well told. The country sounds amazing. Wish I were there.
Old 11-08-18, 08:32 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4335 Post(s)
Liked 3,958 Times in 2,646 Posts
I have had enough blown tires in my ears and face to always double and triple check and take it really slow. I am not a race mechanic so if it takes an extra minute or two fine by me, if it means no ringing in my ears. Glad you are ok. You might want to save up for some better puncture protectant tires, maybe even wider as well, it sounds like that could be of great use to you.
Old 11-08-18, 09:07 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4792 Post(s)
Liked 3,918 Times in 2,548 Posts
Originally Posted by Mikefule
I get rather too many punctures on the fixed gear because I'm running cheap 23mm OE tyres until I can afford better, and I tend to ride a lot of farm tracks. Last time I put the bike away, I'd just repaired a puncture.

A rare opportunity for a ride today. I set off to post a letter then went on up the hill to the next village, down the lane, over the footbridge, along the farm track, along the lane, and up the hill to another village, then I had a glorious "knees smoking" descent down a steep little hill, just managing to avoid needing the brakes.

A mile or so later, I noticed a "whiff whiff" sound and saw a dark patch on the tyre. I thought I'd picked up a bit of electrician's tape or something, but I couldn't brush it off with the palm of my glove. In the end, irritated by the noise, I stopped to find that about 3 inches (7.5 cm) of the bead of the tyre had popped off the rim. I was not far short of a sudden blowout of the tube.

If that had happened on the fast decent, it would have hurt.

I've been repairing punctures and replacing tyres and tubes for over 40 years, but I go it wrong this time, and obviously didn't check carefully enough before pumping the tyre up to full pressure.

School boy error #2 was to leave my mini pump on my other bike. Fortunately, I only had 3/4 mile to walk and the weather was pleasant.
I know this sounds backwards but if you want to skimp on tires, ride sewups. Properly glued, they never come off the rim. You can flat at any speed and always ride the bike to a standstill. You can blow the tire up and do the same. I blew at least one tire at 45+ mph in my racing days. Big scare when I heard the shot but the rest was no big deal. Enough of a non-event that I really don't know if it happened more than once. By contrast, I blew out a tubed rear clincher on my fix gear (an old tire I threw on because it was close at hand) going ~25 mph on a slight downhill. Tire rolled off the rim, leaving me trying to stay off the curb with traction like riding on ice. (When you are on ice, you don't use a firm grip! You treat the bike like a baby, being very gentle.) I was completely un-prepared for the tire jamming in the seatstay. Got tossed forward and hit hard. Multiple broken bones and I lost an acre of skin.

If money loosens up, I will go back to sewups. Good for peace of mind.

Ben