Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Women's 2007 Ruby Comp - a good buy?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-18, 10:55 AM
Jmcoll86

Bikes: 2011 Jamis Ventura Sport, Motobécane Grand Jubilee

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hello,

I recently had a friend reach out to me as she wants to get into biking. I just started a few months back after an accident and know just enough to be dangerous lol. I found a 2007 women's ruby comp that someone had sitting around in their basement, only ridden a few times and left to waste away. I got the seller down to around 350, its a carbon bike, with shimano 105 components. I am sure its going to need new tires, tubes, and break pads but other than that it should be a good buy if it fits her correctly. I just wanted some validation as I don't want to steer her in the wrong direction, with 350 - 400 to spend I figured this was a good buy. Opinions? Thoughts? I know with that amount she could buy a new, cheaper intro bike.

Thanks,

Joe
Old 11-19-18, 11:05 AM
Lazyass

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Quoted: 2432 Post(s)
Liked 638 Times in 395 Posts
That's a fair price. If it needs a lot of stuff show the seller the link below and see if they will come down.

https://www.bicyclebluebook.com/sear....aspx?id=16648
Old 11-22-18, 12:14 AM
TrojanHorse
SuperGimp

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 147 Post(s)
Quoted: 1107 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 47 Posts
If it fits, sure. Buy it.
Old 11-22-18, 12:49 AM
BirdsBikeBinocs

Bikes: Giant Talon 29 - Specialized Diverge E5 Comp

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 283 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 33 Posts
Originally Posted by Lazyass
That's a fair price. If it needs a lot of stuff show the seller the link below and see if they will come down.

I think it's a good price too. In fact, $350 imo is a great price no matter what the blue book says. Here's the issue...

THAT is a race bike through and through. With your friend being a beginner those tires are small small small. In other words, a 23c tire will not have a strong grip on any surface. And, that rear cog being 11-28, geez, I hope she's not climbing hills. THAT is a racers set of gearing.

Once again, imo, she deserves a bike with 3 chain rings up front. A wide range of gearing. She'll want big numbers out back and small numbers up front as far as the chain rings go. THAT bike has small numbers out back and big numbers in the front. If you need to, educate yourself on this stuff. It's important.

The gearing can be changed but it will cost money. The tire size, even if it will fit a 28c, is still a skinny tire. I'd want her on at least 32c tires.

It's a great bike for the money but it is definately the wrong bike for a beginner. All bikes are NOT equal. And that one is a racer.!!! Yikes....

Last edited by BirdsBikeBinocs; 11-22-18 at 12:50 AM. Reason: typo
Old 11-22-18, 10:25 AM
expatbrit

Bikes: Ridley X-Fire (now an ex-bicycle), Trek X-Cal, Giant Defy 3

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by BirdsBikeBinocs

I think it's a good price too. In fact, $350 imo is a great price no matter what the blue book says. Here's the issue...

THAT is a race bike through and through. With your friend being a beginner those tires are small small small. In other words, a 23c tire will not have a strong grip on any surface. And, that rear cog being 11-28, geez, I hope she's not climbing hills. THAT is a racers set of gearing.

Once again, imo, she deserves a bike with 3 chain rings up front. A wide range of gearing. She'll want big numbers out back and small numbers up front as far as the chain rings go. THAT bike has small numbers out back and big numbers in the front. If you need to, educate yourself on this stuff. It's important.

The gearing can be changed but it will cost money. The tire size, even if it will fit a 28c, is still a skinny tire. I'd want her on at least 32c tires.

It's a great bike for the money but it is definately the wrong bike for a beginner. All bikes are NOT equal. And that one is a racer.!!! Yikes....
Isn’t the Ruby the Women’s Roubaix? Should be relatively relaxed, and I’m not sure I’d call it a race bike or immediately demand 32mm tyres, even if they will provide more Cush.

For $350, it seems a good way to see if she likes riding.
Old 11-22-18, 12:22 PM
BirdsBikeBinocs

Originally Posted by expatbrit

Isn’t the Ruby the Women’s Roubaix? Should be relatively relaxed, and I’m not sure I’d call it a race bike or immediately demand 32mm tyres, even if they will provide more Cush.

For $350, it seems a good way to see if she likes riding.
I disagree, respectively. In this case tire size isn't about comfort. It's about safety. I wonder how she would do cornering that bike at a moderate speed and hit some scattered gravel. Down she goes.!!! You don't put a beginner on 23c sized tires. No way.

And by the way, 23c tires and a rear cog of 11-28 are 2 specs that scream Racer.!!!

Also, I'm not certain but the Roubaix comes in different models. I'm pretty sure the bike in question is a Roubaix Comp.
Old 11-22-18, 03:28 PM
MikeWMass

Bikes: Velosolex St. Tropez, LeMond Zurich (spine bike), Rotator swb recumbent

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 32 Posts
The Ruby is the WSD version of the Roubaix.
In 2007, 28 tooth rear cog was considered fairly large. It was the max capacity of the then current 105 group (5600).
Also in 2007 23 mm tires were common on mid level recreational bikes. In fact,. many bikes would not even clear a 28 mm tire.
If she is going to fall on gravel, 5 or even 9 mm tire width is unlikely to change the outcome, IMO.

I would go for it.
Old 11-22-18, 04:33 PM
expatbrit

Bikes: Ridley X-Fire (now an ex-bicycle), Trek X-Cal, Giant Defy 3

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by MikeWMass
The Ruby is the WSD version of the Roubaix.
In 2007, 28 tooth rear cog was considered fairly large. It was the max capacity of the then current 105 group (5600).
Also in 2007 23 mm tires were common on mid level recreational bikes. In fact,. many bikes would not even clear a 28 mm tire.
If she is going to fall on gravel, 5 or even 9 mm tire width is unlikely to change the outcome, IMO.

I would go for it.
I agree about 10000%.

cannot imagine how the tyre would save you. 11-28 might suck a bit, depending on terrain I admit. But it should be ok for most things.
Old 11-23-18, 01:34 PM
BirdsBikeBinocs

Originally Posted by expatbrit

I agree about 10000%.

cannot imagine how the tyre would save you. 11-28 might suck a bit, depending on terrain I admit. But it should be ok for most things.
I'll tell you how a 32c tire will save her.... It will have more tread on the asphalt. She'll stand a chance at least. 2007 specs are ancient. How many bike shops would put that female beginner on a 23c tire.?? Um, my guess would be zero. What's yours.??

She's a beginner and we want her to stay in the game. She deserves the best specs that are available today, not 12 years ago. And that goes for the 11-28 cog, too. You said it yourself.... "11-28 might suck a bit." Ya... Sure would. And discourage her, too.
Old 11-23-18, 06:45 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4348 Post(s)
Liked 3,984 Times in 2,661 Posts
Originally Posted by BirdsBikeBinocs
I'll tell you how a 32c tire will save her.... It will have more tread on the asphalt. She'll stand a chance at least. 2007 specs are ancient. How many bike shops would put that female beginner on a 23c tire.?? Um, my guess would be zero. What's yours.??

She's a beginner and we want her to stay in the game. She deserves the best specs that are available today, not 12 years ago. And that goes for the 11-28 cog, too. You said it yourself.... "11-28 might suck a bit." Ya... Sure would. And discourage her, too.
11-28 is not that bad of a gearing if it were 11-25 I would certainly look at a different cassette and possibly derailleur but 11-28 is fairly bog standard and someone in decent shape could handle no matter what gender binary they choose to partake in or don't.

23c is too small for anything except at a velodrome but it has nothing to do with gender binaries, it is just a generally slower and less comfortable tire. However the bike could possibly fit a 28c tire so that is an easy swap and with a bike of that age it might be needed anyway?! I know my Langster from that era fit a 28c tire just fine granted it is a different style of bike it is from the same manufacturer and I have seen other Spesh bikes from that era that could go wider.

Granted for any of this to matter on this bike the person has to test ride it and see if they are going to like it. They may not be into that particular bike, it is wholly possible, or they may love it. However nobody can know till the bike gets ridden.