Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Beach Cruisers
Reload this Page >

Show me your Worksman

Notices
Beach Cruisers Do you love balloon tires and fenders? Do you love riding the simplicity of a single gear and coaster brakes or a single gear cluster? Do you love the classic curves in the tubing of a cruiser that takes you back to the 1950's and 1960's, stylistically? Here's your home! Welcome to the Beach Cruisers and Cruisers forum!

Show me your Worksman

Old 04-08-18, 02:40 PM
Nighttrain

Bikes: Pinarello Prince that's cracked at the bb weld

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by SquidPuppet
Zip ties are what multi million dollar race bikes use, so I'm ok with them.

Well played, sir.
Old 04-09-18, 01:45 PM
SquidPuppet
Calamari Marionette Ph.D

Bikes: 3 Chinese Gas Pipe Nerdcycles and 2 Chicago Electroforged Boat Anchors

Mentioned: 75 Post(s)
Quoted: 2358 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 26 Posts
Originally Posted by n0+4c|u3
Depends on whether that's vinales bike, or rossi's. Nothing is too good for vinales, Rossi can suck a bag of dicks.

You must be pleased with Marquez's performance yesterday, T-boning Rossi?
Old 04-10-18, 08:39 PM
Jax Rhapsody
Rhapsodic Laviathan

Bikes: Rideable; 83 Schwinn High Sierra. Two cruiser, bmx bike, one other mtb, three road frames, one citybike.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Liked 123 Times in 91 Posts
Zip ties are what multi million dollar race bikes use, so I'm ok with them.

He said it, not me.
Old 04-11-18, 12:37 AM
SquidPuppet
Calamari Marionette Ph.D

Bikes: 3 Chinese Gas Pipe Nerdcycles and 2 Chicago Electroforged Boat Anchors

Mentioned: 75 Post(s)
Quoted: 2358 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 26 Posts
Originally Posted by Jax Rhapsody
He said it, not me.
Not really.

Originally Posted by base2
I needed to run a cable, and a zip-tie around the fork blade just wasn't to my liking.
The bracket is the fastening mount for the zip tie.
Old 04-15-18, 06:42 PM
Jax Rhapsody
Rhapsodic Laviathan

Bikes: Rideable; 83 Schwinn High Sierra. Two cruiser, bmx bike, one other mtb, three road frames, one citybike.

Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Liked 123 Times in 91 Posts
Not really.

The bracket is the fastening mount for the zip tie.
Yeah, yeah, yeah, semantics. just laugh at my joke. Speaking of semantics; the "bracket" or cable guide actually uses a clip, that's often lost or gets broken and is replaced with a ziptie.
Old 06-05-18, 03:46 PM
ElDeluxo

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Old 06-05-18, 03:46 PM
ElDeluxo

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Old 06-05-18, 03:47 PM
ElDeluxo

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Likes For ElDeluxo:
Old 07-11-18, 06:52 PM
pass the peas
like we used to say

Bikes: 2009 Surly Cross Check, ca.2013 Worksman INB, 2018 Breezer Doppler Pro

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Just got the pair. Turns out craigslist seller's wife used to work with my wife, so we didn't have to hoist them to the top of the car. Ca. 2013 Newsboy and Newsgirl. Not loving the Oury bmx grips, but that's an easy fix.
Likes For pass the peas:
Old 07-13-18, 11:39 AM
Velo Mule

Bikes: Trek 800 x 2, Schwinn Heavy Duti, Schwinn Traveler, Schwinn Le Tour Luxe, Schwinn Continental, Cannondale M400 and Lambert, Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 801 Post(s)
Liked 1,000 Times in 654 Posts
Man that front basket is big. I don't think that it is a Wald. Nice bikes!
Old 07-13-18, 02:08 PM
pass the peas
like we used to say

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Velo Mule
Man that front basket is big. I don't think that it is a Wald. Nice bikes!
That's the Wald giant delivery basket. Empty it pulls you all over the place. I'll report back when I work up the nerve to load it up with groceries.
Old 07-13-18, 06:34 PM
rhenning

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 380 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 80 Posts
This is my Cycle Truck and I have the large Wald basket on it. About 7/8 the size and 1/10th the price of a real one. Roger

Likes For rhenning:
Old 07-14-18, 01:49 PM
pass the peas
like we used to say

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by rhenning
This is my Cycle Truck and I have the large Wald basket on it. About 7/8 the size and 1/10th the price of a real one. Roger

I like it. I saw one at a rat bike show swap recently.
Old 07-14-18, 01:53 PM
pass the peas
like we used to say

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Because it's no fun living in fear, I went ahead and did a grocery run today. Couple bottles of wine, some meat, beer, etc. This thing is a full body workout. Going to order some of the Wald wide cruiser bars for more leverage. It's actually pretty tame once you get used to it. Seems like it's actually more stable with a load.

What do we think about layback seat posts? I'd like to be a little lower and still have full extension. Worth a try?
Likes For pass the peas:
Old 07-18-18, 02:46 PM
pass the peas
like we used to say

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Got Wald 898 bars and generic kraton grips. More my style and the extra leverage is nice.

The "heavy duty" kickstand snapped a leg off last night. It's rated at 25kg. Pretty sure the unladen weight of the bike exceeds that. Got to find a replacement now.
Old 08-31-18, 07:29 PM
ironandblues

Bikes: Worksman industrial bike

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Big fan of Worksman (my go-to bike and built for a Clydesdale like me). Bought mine from a guy who claimed it came from Fort Monmouth in NJ, circa 1980's. I'm still in my first ten posts so I won't be able to show off any pictures but I will agree that the paint doesn't seem to hold up well. I got it with plenty of scratches and dings and a fine coat of rust on the rims, but so far it hasn't given me trouble and kind of adds to the character. I do have a new leather seat and grips I've been meaning to put on but I'll wait until the originals give out first.

Since I see some restored frame photos I need to ask: where can one locate the Worksman decals? I called the factory once a few years back and no one seemed to know.

Scott
Old 11-24-18, 05:10 PM
drzdave58

Bikes: Ruff custom build..Electra mulholland 3i..vanmoof S3..1947rollfast...felt happy hour..focus planet..Dahon curve d3 41 Schwinn custom..Moulton tsr

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 12 Posts
I just recently picked up this early 90s Worksman trike some guy was using on his farm...got it really cheap...gonna give it some much needed tlc...got it torn down and stripped the paint off...underneath all the farm crud is a decent bike...it’s gonna get a new happy owner when I’m done with it..

Likes For drzdave58:
Old 08-05-19, 01:55 AM
Rik Pape

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My inb head tube measures 33mm.

I too am trying to install a Chris King headset, threaded. Which one did you use? Where did you get your adapter? My head tube measures 33mm. I tried an adapter from Porkchop bmx but it measures 32.5. That is also the measurement of the Wald headset that people say fits. Has anyone measured their headtube ID?

Originally Posted by surreal
I got a few, with a few more in the works. Will post pics as an edit later...

I built one as a town bike; it's a black INB frame from 2008 with the 80s-style lugged-crown fork. Running 180mm OPC with 44t Wald sprocket, 36h velosteel out back, Sturmey x-fdd in the front, both laced to Sun mtx33s with the stickers peeled off. Wald 867 bars/ Wald stem, newbaum's tape. Brooks B17, Busch&Mueller iq cyo dynamo light. Rolling on fat franks with full-fenders. I commute on this one a lot.

I built another INB with some BMX goodies. 2010 frame, SE Landing Gear fork, Profile Wedge stem, seatpost clamp, flywheel sprocket. S&M Crusier slam bars, ame grips, sturmey x-fd/x-rd ss hubset, laced to sun eq31 rims with some gumwall kendas on 'em. Cheapest saddle on earth, but oddly enough, a chris king headset.

The third complete one we've got is my wife's errand bike. Super-rusty red INB frame with the monstrous new-school unicrown Worksman fork. Running the original wheels from my LGB; 20" front/26" in the back, with a knobby/slick configuration. Sissy bar, banana seat, Wald riser bars and x-long stem, with a Basket. Craziest pike we've got.

I have a LGB that I'm rebuilding/sprucing up as my grocery getter/bizness bike-- I think I'm gonna start selling ym soap at the farmer's market next year. It's a work in progress, but I got big plans.

I've been collecting parts for a Worksman fixed gear, but that's a ways off for now.

For the record: none of my worksmans (Worksmen?) have ever touched the beach.
Old 08-11-19, 09:15 PM
base2 
I am potato.

Bikes: Only precision built, custom high performance elitist machines of the highest caliber. 🍆

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 1764 Post(s)
Liked 1,577 Times in 910 Posts
Originally Posted by Rik Pape
I too am trying to install a Chris King headset, threaded. Which one did you use? Where did you get your adapter? My head tube measures 33mm. I tried an adapter from Porkchop bmx but it measures 32.5. That is also the measurement of the Wald headset that people say fits. Has anyone measured their headtube ID?
It's not uncommon due to sloppy manufacturing tolerances. On my wifes bike I slathered up the inside of the head tube with a suitable epoxy similar to JB Weld and very carefully inserted the headset cups with some steel shim stock until all was properly cured.

With due attention to craftsmanship and cleanliness, the shim stock stays set in the frame but the cups themselves will not be bonded and can thus be inserted/removed in the future.

IIRC I think I used a 26.0mm to 25.4mm seatpost shim. I used scissors to cut it in half & then to shape so I had one for each cup.
Old 08-21-19, 06:39 PM
Tenover

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 2 Posts
Nice looking bike!
Old 10-10-19, 08:14 AM
dark30

Bikes: mercier kilo wt 5 ss

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 1 Post
Worksman Newsboy frame

Build them like you like them.... then only you are to blame...

Made in the USA

If you got the news, then you got a Newsboy...

It is really your story.
Old 10-21-20, 03:53 PM
Londonsworld 

Bikes: 71 American Eagle Olympiad, 03 Trek 5200 P1, 2013 Trek 6 series Domane, 83 Apollo branded Kuwahara, 78 Trek TX 300, 73 Nishiki Intl. 86 Nishiki Prestige, Nishiki Olympic, 72 and 73 Nishiki Safari', two-speed Electra BMX cruiser 1, 87 Nishiki Linear

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 65 Times in 38 Posts
Crusty Worksman cruiser

My neighbor was tossing out this crusty Worksman bike. I'll get it rolling and donate to the local homeless shelter.

Crusty beast

Super heavy

Maybe this was used by the local newspaper kid
Likes For Londonsworld:
Old 10-22-20, 04:20 PM
Londonsworld 

Bikes: 71 American Eagle Olympiad, 03 Trek 5200 P1, 2013 Trek 6 series Domane, 83 Apollo branded Kuwahara, 78 Trek TX 300, 73 Nishiki Intl. 86 Nishiki Prestige, Nishiki Olympic, 72 and 73 Nishiki Safari', two-speed Electra BMX cruiser 1, 87 Nishiki Linear

Down to the bones. Hopefully, some penetrating oil will loosen up that stem. If not, time to break out the heating torch.......

Stem is fighting me.....
Old 10-23-20, 10:27 AM
Londonsworld 

Well, my project has ended. My neighbors son came knocking this morning and wanted to know if he could have the bike back. He didn't know his dad was throwing the bike out. No biggie....he is a super cool kid.
Likes For Londonsworld:
Old 11-25-20, 10:35 PM
tallbikeman

Bikes: Modified 26 inch frame Schwinn Varsity with 700c wheels and 10 speed cassette hub. Ryan Vanguard recumbent. 67cm 27"x1 1/4" Schwinn Sports Tourer from the 1980's. 1980's 68cm Nishiki Sebring with 700c aero wheels, 30 speeds, flat bar bicycle.

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked 141 Times in 102 Posts
My LGB Worksman

Bought this new in early 90's. Very handy bike for running errands.

This is a Worksman LGB I bought new in the early 1990's. Very good bicycle for errand running. I left it outside quite a bit and it weathered nicely. Rust here and there. The handlebars and steel rims and chain guard were especially rusty. I use a Kryptonite lock plus a chain lock to lock it up. But the rust and weird configuration + locks has kept it in my possession all these years. This is the coaster brake original rear wheel. I later changed to a modern Sturmey Archer 3 speed with hand operated brake. Very good hub and works well on this bicycle. I gear my 3 speed so that I ride in 3rd gear. 2nd is for starting at stop lights and such. 1st is for freeway overpasses. The overall gear ration is less than the recommended 2:1 but have not had and problems with a lower overall gear ratio. Unfortunately the frame broke on the seatpost tube just above the crank. It has been repaired but has not been put back together yet. I'm going to have the frame and fork powder coated. I recently changed out the overkill rims for some fairly heavy duty aluminum rims with the same 11 guage spokes. I ran into a much older forged front fork for a Worksman LGB. I put it on trading out the poorly made fork that came with the bike. My bike may have been one of the Friday bikes mentioned above. I'm 6'5" tall so that seatpost has to be chrome moly and inserted quite a ways into the frame. It took a lot of looking to find that post. I also raise the handlebars by using BMX stems and bars to bring it up to a comfortable position for me. Despite the lower quality build and not fitting me properly I have hauled 10's of tons of groceries home with this bike. I do enjoy this bike and its mostly reliable performance. The basket on the front is original Worksman and is huge and beefy. It was shop made and has little imperfections on fitting which adds charm and doesn't hurt performance. Later they went to a different design basket that wasn't as much hand work as the one I got. I love this blog about an American Made bicycle that isn't so well known.
Likes For tallbikeman:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.