Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Tandem Cycling
Reload this Page >

Giordano Viaggio Build

Search
Notices
Tandem Cycling A bicycle built for two. Want to find out more about this wonderful world of tandems? Check out this forum to talk with other tandem enthusiasts. Captains and stokers welcome!

Giordano Viaggio Build

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-15, 01:03 PM
bobthib
Legs; OK! Lungs; not!

Bikes: ''09 Motobecane Immortal Pro (Yellow), '02 Diamondback Hybrid, '09 Lamborghini Viaggio, ''11 Cervelo P2

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 4 Posts
I just did an upgrade on my brakes. I added standard road brakes,
[h=1]Tektro R559 Road Brake Extra Long Reach Caliper 55-73mm[/h]

The Install went well, but did require some engineering. The stock short 5mm shoulder bold was not long enough to mount the rear brake. A medium 5mm shoulder bolt was required. In addition, the cross bar between the seat stays is meant for mounting a fender, so I had to drill out the hole on the seat tube side (1/4") to fit the shoulder bolt. To reinforce the shoulder, I added a 1/4" (8mm) stainless flat washer.

Adding these standard caliper brakes, along with the
[h=1]Kool Stop MTB Mountain Bicycle Brake Shoes[/h]
the braking is far better than the stock brakes, or even the Avid 7s that I installed 5 yrs ago.

Next step will be to retro fit some 6703 Ultegra shifters and switch over to 10 spd cassette and derailers. Not in a big hurry. I have the shifters and cassette, need to pick up an 3 spd FD and 10 spd RD. Meanwhile I've got to see if I can disassemble the current Microshift Left shifter. It no longer shifts out of the granny gear, but since I'm in flat fla. and just riding with the grandkids, I really don't have much need for much gearing.
Old 04-30-15, 01:06 PM
bobthib
Legs; OK! Lungs; not!

Bikes: ''09 Motobecane Immortal Pro (Yellow), '02 Diamondback Hybrid, '09 Lamborghini Viaggio, ''11 Cervelo P2

Liked 9 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by bkgeig
Got the shifters installed and everything tuned up over the weekend. Here's a pic of the handlebar setup:

Took our first ride into school yesterday and the second this morning:

You can see in the pic above the pedal blocks I made for the back from 2x4s. I considered buying crank extenders, but they're $100 and my daughter will only need them for less than a year. After our first ride I turned up the rear handlebar so that she isn't so stretched out.

I've updated the build costs in post #4 . The total came in under $900. I still have a few small parts to buy and to sell, which should about cancel out, so I haven't included them.

According to my scale, the total weight was just a hair over 40lb with the wooden pedal blocks installed. Without them it would probably be around 38lb. So it's about the same weight as the stock bike. I suppose the added weight of the brake adapter and brakes offset the weight savings from the fork and cranks.

Some thoughts on the ride: First, my fit was way off. I expected to do some adjusting but not this much. I'm just under 6' tall (5'12" according to my wife) with a 32" inseam. I have the seatpost above the minimum insertion point to get comfortable leg extension. I also have the seat set as far back as possible on the post to get my knees over the pedals. One of my first purchases will be a 400mm post with more offset. The stem I had on hand is 110mm. It's way too long. I've ordered both a 80 and 90mm to see what's most comfortable. That should get me more comfortably placed and reduce some of the twitchiness I feel right now in the front end.

The tensioner I made is barely audible while riding. I don't notice it. As of now I plan to stick with 39t rings and maybe eventually go to 38t. We're in the lowest gear on our morning climb to school.

I'll try to remember to post some additional thoughts after we've ridden for a couple of weeks and I have the new stem installed.
Looks like you are having fun! When she gets a bit older, you might consider some clip ins and putting her crank OOP so she can feel that she is contributing in the power stroke.
Old 05-11-15, 05:51 PM
bobthib
Legs; OK! Lungs; not!

Liked 9 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by bobthib
I just did an upgrade on my brakes. I added standard road brakes,
Tektro R559 Road Brake Extra Long Reach Caliper 55-73mm

The Install went well, but did require some engineering. The stock short 5mm shoulder bold was not long enough to mount the rear brake. A medium 5mm shoulder bolt was required. In addition, the cross bar between the seat stays is meant for mounting a fender, so I had to drill out the hole on the seat tube side (1/4") to fit the shoulder bolt. To reinforce the shoulder, I added a 1/4" (8mm) stainless flat washer.

Adding these standard caliper brakes, along with the
Kool Stop MTB Mountain Bicycle Brake Shoes

the braking is far better than the stock brakes, or even the Avid 7s that I installed 5 yrs ago.

Next step will be to retro fit some 6703 Ultegra shifters and switch over to 10 spd cassette and derailers. Not in a big hurry. I have the shifters and cassette, need to pick up an 3 spd FD and 10 spd RD. Meanwhile I've got to see if I can disassemble the current Microshift Left shifter. It no longer shifts out of the granny gear, but since I'm in flat fla. and just riding with the grandkids, I really don't have much need for much gearing.
Just a follow up to say how happy I am with this Tektro brake upgrades!! I just ordered new Kool Stop Bicycle V-Type Holder with Brake Pads (Dual Compound) shoes to replace the old Kool Stop MTB pads. The MTB pads were pretty worn out, and they were for 26" rims so the curve was a little off. Not real happy with the "quick release" mechanism but otherwise the brakes are great and are a huge upgrade.
Old 08-17-15, 11:40 AM
bkgeig

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Still loving the Giordano. I changed out the stem for higher rise, 16 degrees I think, and got a longer seatpost. The front rim brake squeals despite my toeing it out. I'm going to try a cheap brake booster next. During the summer we're mostly riding it on weekends for bagels/doughnuts. Here we are fully loaded on a morning bagel run.

Old 08-18-15, 07:49 AM
WPH

Bikes: 2015 Apollo Syncro tandem, 2006 Scott CR1 SL (still a beastie race bike), 1993 Trek T200, 2006 Fuji Absolute Le, 2000 Thorn Club Tour

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Still loving the Giordano. I changed out the stem for higher rise, 16 degrees I think, and got a longer seatpost. The front rim brake squeals despite my toeing it out. I'm going to try a cheap brake booster next. During the summer we're mostly riding it on weekends for bagels/doughnuts. Here we are fully loaded on a morning bagel run.

That's a Jayco camper trailer in the background! Jayco is Australia's biggest caravan manufacturer, based in Melbourne I think. And the owner of Jayco is Gerry Ryan who bankrolls the Orica GreenEdge World Tour cycling team and supports a bunch of other sports in this country.

Us? We have a 1983 Viscount Grand Tourer poptop in original condition!

Glad you like the bike!

W
Old 01-08-16, 05:22 AM
steconnor

Bikes: Ribble Stealth (R872), Giant Defy 3.5

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I just ordered an A2Z DM-UNI adapter from Wiggle. It was a little more than I had budgeted, but these things are getting harder to find, so I went ahead and picked one up while I could. If you look closely at my X01, you'll see I'm using a heavily modified A2Z to run discs on this old frame. I have had no trouble with it in 3 years of use and do check it regularly. I trust it for the tandem. I'll post some pics of the install when it arrives.

I hope to keep the total cost around $1000. If I can sell off some parts I think that's doable. I'm posting a JPG of the spreadsheet I'm keeping. I'll update the spreadsheet and the pic as I go.
Hi,
quick question regarding the a2z dm-uni adaptor? Sorry if question is a bit of topic. I am considering using an a2z dm-uni adaptor on my road bike. You are the first person I've been able to find, through google search, that has used the adaptor on anything other that a mountain bike. How much modification did it require? My frame dropouts look to be of similar size to your Trek's. I would appreciate any advice or additional pictures if available. Feel free to send me private message regarding this question.

Thanks,

Stephen
Old 01-08-16, 10:42 AM
bkgeig

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Hey Stephen. The type of bike isn't as important as the dropout style. I posted some other pics on forums.mtrb.com. I would search through the posts there to see what folks have done on a variety of bikes. You want to be comfortable with a grinder or dremel tool. Then go slow. Take a little material off, test fit, take more material off, repeat until it fits. I probably took too much off on the Trek commuter bike. Nonetheless, I've been using it daily for nearly 5 years of 10 mile commute.

Brian
Old 01-08-16, 05:29 PM
steconnor

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hey Stephen. The type of bike isn't as important as the dropout style. I posted some other pics on forums.mtrb.com. I would search through the posts there to see what folks have done on a variety of bikes. You want to be comfortable with a grinder or dremel tool. Then go slow. Take a little material off, test fit, take more material off, repeat until it fits. I probably took too much off on the Trek commuter bike. Nonetheless, I've been using it daily for nearly 5 years of 10 mile commute.

Brian
Hi Brian,

Thanks for that. I've had a look at mtbr.com. Better pictures on it for sure. I knew I would have to modify a bit. My dropouts are small but flat and more importantly the inner face of the drop is flush with the chaistay and seatstay so will probably only need to modify/bodge the faceplate. I plan to use an existing hole in the dropout (rack/mudguard eyelet) to further stabilise the adaptor with an M4 allen screw. The faceplate of the adaptor appears less substantial in terms of thickness of material which should make it manageable. I have to get my hands on a dremel.

Stephen
Old 04-10-16, 01:39 PM
steconnor

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi Brian,

The a2z adaptor worked perfectly, needed a bit more work on the grinder than expected but still managed to get it clamped tightly around the dropout.

Thanks again for the advice.

Stephen
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
DSC_0005_1024.jpg (108.8 KB, 574 views)
DSC_0001 1.jpg (94.8 KB, 568 views)
DSC_0002.jpg (81.5 KB, 566 views)
Old 03-03-17, 02:51 PM
bkgeig

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Made a couple of changes to the Giordano this week. For the last months I've been battling a skipping chain. It seemed to come from the rear, but I couldn't see what was happening from where I sit and my daughter wasn't much help diagnosing. Turned out the crankset chain rings were severely worn, especially the smallest. So...

I installed a compact crank (50/34) from Nashbar. It was cheaper than buying 3 new rings. Haven't had any trouble on our local hills going up to 34 from a 32:

I also replaced the 2 39-tooth chainrings with 40-tooth narrow/wide from Race Face. Probably not necessary but should keep the chain more secure. I might eventually install a narrow/wide jockey wheel and run the chain a bit looser, so it's not so noisy.

Old 09-25-17, 06:11 PM
kevrider

Bikes: way too many

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
just learning about this Giordano as we are researching our first foray into tandems. has anyone measured the ETT for the captain on those frames? Giordano says "The front frame measures 20”" but this is not especially useful for sizing. elsewhere i see "21-inch top tube length." is that accurate? i have not seen an actual geo chart. i like the price but i don't want to deal with the hassle of returning it if it's too big.

Last edited by kevrider; 09-25-17 at 07:55 PM.
Old 10-02-17, 04:20 PM
bkgeig

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I'll try to measure the top tube tonight. I'm 5'-11" and you can see how much captain's seat post is sticking out. I think it would fit down to at least 5'-9". You're probably going to have to play with the stem length and angle to get it comfortable.

Turns out the skipping chain was caused by the ancient, used derailleur I stuck on. It wasn't tensioning the chain enough. This summer I upgraded to 10 speed with a 11-40 cassette and new 9-speed Shimano MTB derailleur. 11-40 in the rear and 34/50 in the front is a great combination for us.

We've upgraded from a kid's trailer to trail-a-bike:
Old 10-02-17, 09:48 PM
bkgeig

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I measure the TT at just under 55cm and the ETT at 56cm.
Old 10-05-17, 10:07 PM
kevrider

Bikes: way too many

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
I measure the TT at just under 55cm and the ETT at 56cm.
wow, glad i asked. i'm lacking in the vertebrae department and that's 2cm too many for me. had i made that purchase it would have been on craigslist pretty quickly. thanks for taking the time, mate!
Old 10-27-18, 08:43 AM
johnmc_76

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Trickstuff Exzentriker

Originally Posted by Bezalel
There's always the Trickstuff Exzentriker or the Phil Wood Philcentric. You can eliminate the need for a half link by changing timing rings.
I've seen the Trickstuff Exzentriker eccentric bottom bracket mentioned several times in the Giordano Viaggio threads, but can't find anywhere where someone actually tried one. I purchased a set of Truvativ Elita cranks for our Viaggio several years ago and never got around to putting them on. We've decided to swap the cranks this Winter, so I bought a Trickstuff Exzentriker to replace the front bottom bracket at the same time. Since the Truvativ cranks are 24/22mm, and the Trickstuff Exzentriker is made for 24mm Shimano cranks, I also bought a reducing shim for the non-drive side. Total cost, including the tool required to install it and shipping from Germany, was about $170. I'll post back once we've completed the upgrade.
Old 10-29-18, 10:12 AM
bkgeig

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by johnmc_76
I've seen the Trickstuff Exzentriker eccentric bottom bracket mentioned several times in the Giordano Viaggio threads, but can't find anywhere where someone actually tried one. I purchased a set of Truvativ Elita cranks for our Viaggio several years ago and never got around to putting them on. We've decided to swap the cranks this Winter, so I bought a Trickstuff Exzentriker to replace the front bottom bracket at the same time. Since the Truvativ cranks are 24/22mm, and the Trickstuff Exzentriker is made for 24mm Shimano cranks, I also bought a reducing shim for the non-drive side. Total cost, including the tool required to install it and shipping from Germany, was about $170. I'll post back once we've completed the upgrade.
Very cool. I'm eager to see how it installs and works. I'm using square taper bb so it wouldn't work for me unless I upgraded the crankset too. FWIW, the tensioner I rigged up has worked fine, though it's a bit noisy. If I upgrade again it will be to cable-actuated calipers like Yokozuna Motoko or TRP HY/RD. I have Motokos on my drop-bar 29er and love them.
Old 10-29-18, 10:19 AM
johnmc_76

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Our bike mechanic son looked at the Exzentriker and couldn't see any reason that it wouldn't work. We shall see...
As for upgrading to disc brakes, I have no desire to head down that rabbit hole with our Viaggio. I've upgraded the brakes on ours to Tektro R539 dual pivot calipers with Kool Stop dual compound pads. They are much better than the stock brakes. Since my wife has little interest in climbing or descending big hills, the Tektros are more than adequate for us.
Once I get enough posts to be able to post pictures, I'll post a picture of the drop-bar 29er my son and I built. I think you'll get a kick out of it. I'll probably post it in the gravel bike forum as not to derail this thread.

Last edited by johnmc_76; 10-29-18 at 10:24 PM.
Likes For johnmc_76:
Old 03-31-19, 10:05 PM
johnmc_76

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
We finally got the Trickstuff Exzentriker eccentric bottom bracket and Truvativ Elita cranks installed on our Viaggio this weekend, what a difference it makes. It's so much quieter without that little idler wheel chattering. It took a bit of fiddling to get it installed, but I think it was worth the effort. My wife/stoker wasn't feeling so well by the time we got it done, so I was only able to ride it up and down the street, solo. I'm really looking forward to going for a real ride with her in the near future. Here's a picture of the Exzentriker:

Any questions, fire away.
Old 04-01-19, 12:26 AM
woodrow5

Bikes: Vary

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by johnmc_76
We finally got the Trickstuff Exzentriker eccentric bottom bracket and Truvativ Elita cranks installed on our Viaggio this weekend, what a difference it makes. It's so much quieter without that little idler wheel chattering. It took a bit of fiddling to get it installed, but I think it was worth the effort. My wife/stoker wasn't feeling so well by the time we got it done, so I was only able to ride it up and down the street, solo. I'm really looking forward to going for a real ride with her in the near future. Here's a picture of the Exzentriker:

Any questions, fire away.
This is great idea !
Old 04-01-19, 12:32 AM
woodrow5

Bikes: Vary

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I bought the Lamborghini tandem (Now it's Giordano Viaggio) back in 2010. I didn't want to spend $4-6k for a good component tandem as my girlfriend (now my wife) didn't want to do exercise. I've tried to change to pink because that's her favorite color and replace the component which i felt more comfortable.

Back in 2012-2013, we rode averagely 100 miles weekly. I found the chain stay crack and have the local hitch installer to weld the crack (around $80).
Here is the link to the album:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/7FiVEzQmSDqciJax7

Old 04-01-19, 05:57 AM
johnmc_76

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
We bought ours back in 2012 and it only has a couple thousand miles on it. Many of those were with our grandson, who rode with me for a year or so before losing interest. He and I rode a century ride on it. My wife had both of her knees replaced last year, so we're hoping to start putting some more miles on it once spring arrives. Funny, we trimmed ours out in purple, my wife's favorite color. Once we get a sunny day, I'll get some more pictures of the whole bike and share them.

Last edited by johnmc_76; 04-17-19 at 10:47 AM.
Old 04-14-19, 01:04 PM
johnmc_76

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Here's our finished project:

Old 06-28-20, 06:36 PM
jtdlest

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi! I am upgrading my viaggio too and I just wanted to know what compact crankset did you use and did you have to change your bottom bracket? Thanks!
Old 07-05-20, 07:48 PM
johnmc_76

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
It's not a compact crank, it's a Truvativ Elita tandem triple crankset, and yes we did have to replace the bottom brackets. They came with the crankset.
Old 07-05-20, 08:32 PM
WPH

Bikes: 2015 Apollo Syncro tandem, 2006 Scott CR1 SL (still a beastie race bike), 1993 Trek T200, 2006 Fuji Absolute Le, 2000 Thorn Club Tour

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Very nice how you matched cable outers, bottles and bar tape.

Also I did not know about the Exzentriker, a neat solution.

Enjoy!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.