Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Greetings From South Fl

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Greetings From South Fl

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-08, 06:25 AM
Judo
Judo

Bikes: Mountain Bike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Greetings From South Fl

Turning '50' Next Month
Greetings,my name is Will and my nick name is Judo because my Friends call me that due to I been into Martial Arts Since mid 70's and early 80's after several years in the US ARMY! I've been a member of this post before I purchased my road bike because like many of ya'all I wanted to get back into cycling again. My First Road Bike was a 1975 Schwinn (English Racer) what they called it back then. I road everwhere on that bike and never let me down. After I joined the Military my Mom gave my bike away thinking that I did not want it anymore along with my first G.I.Joe's 12inch Figures, LOL!! Well in the mid 80's a Friend of mine sold me his 1983 Cannondale Mountain Bike for $50.00 Bucks and soon after my Son kept it. Throughout these past couple of weeks of checking out road bikes at several LBS this past Saturday I finally found my baby! At this one local bike shop that I visited three times prior they received a Cannondale Road bike that caught my eyes. And the sales guy did'nt even show me that one. He kept trying to convince me to buy the Specialized Crosstrail which did'nt really grab me. So I then asked him if I could see that Silver in color one and he brought it down and told me that it was a 2008 Cannondale Caad9 R5. Well it was Mens size 58 and slightly over my budget but you know what it's what I wanted!! They tuned up my bike and got me fitted. I also had to buy these cleated pedals and specialized Shoes to wear with the pedals. Good thing that the sales guy hooked my bike to a stationally poast so I could learn how to release my footing from the cleated pedals. It took me a while to get it down pack but i finally got it!! I have everything except a helmet due to they did'nt have a Size Large for my Big Head,LOL!! So Friends what do you think about the Cannondale caad 9 R5? "Honestly" This was a little over my budget but for a beginner I did'nt want to spend outrageous amount of money. Hope to hear from ya'all soon!!
Ride Safe Friends,
Will
Old 05-26-08, 07:25 AM
BluesDawg
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
Looks like a great bike. Get out there and ride the tires off of it!

Did you get the double or the triple?
Old 05-26-08, 10:38 AM
stapfam
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by BluesDawg
Looks like a great bike. Get out there and ride the tires off of it!

Did you get the double or the triple?
Double or triple won't matter- It will either hurt or you are too fit to be a newcomer.

Just get out and ride -as BD said- and then tell us about the bike. What works- what doesn't and what PIE you had on the ride. Lots to learn yet so get riding- take the camera and enjoy yourself.

Welcome by the way.

Spike Milligan
Old 05-26-08, 10:50 AM
Mojo Slim
Lincoln, CA

Bikes: 94 Giant ATX 760, 2001 Biachi Eros, 2005 Giant OCR2 Composite +

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Glad to have you back on board. Any bike is a good bike if it fits. We look forward to many more posts from you.
'05 Giant OCR Llimited Carbon Fiber + upgrades
Old 05-26-08, 11:03 AM
conurejade
flying on 2 wheels

Bikes: 2007 Trek 7100 - modified. 2008 Orbea Onix Dama - Campy Centaur

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Welcome!

Ride like the wind - oh wait..... this is South Florida.... that means it's ride INTO the wind!
Old 05-26-08, 11:23 AM
Yen
Surly Girly

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Welcome!

I think "a little over your budget" isn't a bad thing as long as you get out and ride it all you can. I wondered if I bought "too much bike" (to quote TruF) but it's a bike I can grow into, and it inspires me to ride even more. I even wondered if the much-less-expensive Hybrid I bought early last year (first bike in many years) was too much, but once I started riding I knew I was hooked again and never looked back.
Old 05-26-08, 12:29 PM
Judo
Judo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hey Bluesdawg!!

Thanks!
My Friend I purchased the "Triple" Don't know if it's better then the Double but it's what I wanted. I work out at my Gym three times a week and also add my cardio. I have'nt rode a bike ina long time but today I rented tendum bike near the beach and took my Wife on a 1 hour ride. Needless to say my calves were sore in a good way,LOL!! I have'nt purchased a Helmet yet so I need to do that before I take my new baby on the road!! Stay safe!
Old 05-26-08, 12:35 PM
Judo
Judo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Greetings Stapfam

It's a TRIPLE!!!
Have'nt had a chance to take her out on a spin yet. Have'nt been able to find a Size Large Helmet in Silver Color. Looking at purcahsing the Giro Atmos Or Ionos Helmet. Thought about taking her out without a Helmet but my 19 Year Old Daughter did'nt let me go,LOL
Old 05-26-08, 12:37 PM
Judo
Judo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks!!

Mojo,
I appreciated your reply!!......Will
Old 05-26-08, 12:40 PM
Judo
Judo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I own a Female CAG,LOL!!

Hey conurejade!!
I see that You also own a Parrot I have one 8 month started to talk Female CAG! Yepper, She's alreday saying a few words! What kind of road bike do you own and where do you ride in South Florida? Thanks for the Welcome!!
Old 05-26-08, 12:58 PM
conurejade
flying on 2 wheels

Bikes: 2007 Trek 7100 - modified. 2008 Orbea Onix Dama - Campy Centaur

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Judo
I see that You also own a Parrot I have one 8 month started to talk Female CAG! Yepper, She's alreday saying a few words!
Cool - I have 2 CAGs, a conure (thus my avatar), and an Amazon. I work at an avian clinic so all my birds are 'special-needs' babies.

Originally Posted by Judo
What kind of road bike do you own and where do you ride in South Florida? Thanks for the Welcome!!
I have an Orbea Onix Dama that I got at the first of the year - I absolutely love it as the million-and-one pics posted at various places on BF will attest. I do most of my riding on the road bike along A1A and the intercoastal. I have a Trek hybrid that is my commuter/around town bike.
Congrats on your new bike and, once you get the helmet situation straightened out, ride lots!!!!
Old 05-26-08, 01:00 PM
Judo
Judo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Awesome Bikes!!

Greetings Yen,
Great looking Bikes and enjoyed reading your blog!! Well after weeks of looking and looking at different road bikes at various Local Bike Shops and Web Sites I finally found my Baby this past Saturday! It was a Cannondale caad9 5 {TRIPLE} 2008 size 58. Saw it hanging near the corner and I was looking and looking at it. I really never researched the Caad9 5 as much as I was looking into buying a Trek or Specialized. I used to own a 1983 Mountain Cannondale Bike so in a way I was partial to Cannondales. The Price tag was slightly a little more then what I wanted to spend but I said the Heck with it and spent about 2K on the bike and all the goodies that the bike needed and a special expensive shoe's for the cleated peddles. It took me a while to figure out how to release my foot from those cleated peddles because I've never experienced wearing them? I'am used to the good ol'e fashion peddles. My Beautiful Wife was surprised at the expense but then She said that's your 50th Birthday Present! Since I'am turning 50 in June!LOLOLO She now want's me to fix my Son's old Mountain Bike so we can ride together. Take Care Friends and Stay Safe!!
Old 05-26-08, 01:03 PM
Judo
Judo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thankyou!!

Will Keep You Posted conurejade!!

Thanks for your reply and Be safe out there!!
Old 05-27-08, 08:05 AM
HopedaleHills
Streetfire

Bikes: Trek 1200c, BMC Streetfire, Gary Fisher Wahoo

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Welcome to the nuthouse, you'll have a good time here. BTW, the CAAD9 is a great bike. It was my first choice, until I rode the BMC that is.