Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

City SPD shoes/pedal combos

Search
Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-13, 03:47 PM
pwebb

Bikes: Mash Work, Gunnar Crosshairs, Velo Orange Camargue

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Good afternoon folks,

Couple questions regarding city SPD compatible shoes (Chrome & DZR mainly) and subsequent pedal combo's. My squirrel and I have both been and are currently riding clips/straps set-ups on our bikes. I need some new shoes for bike riding purposes and her physical therapist wants her to try clipless out (she's about 14 months out from tearing her ACL) so we've both been looking at Chrome and DZR shoes as an option for various reason. I couldn't find anything thread wise that recently addresses this, so I'm just gonna ask here and we can all proceed to discuss.

First I just wanted to know if anyone had some first hand opinions on either brands, Chrome or DZR, SPD compatible shoes. (Scrod, your thoughts would be appreciated since your store is gonna carry both ya?) There seems to be more info out there on the chrome shoes, and they also seem easier to procure for less than MSRP, so that's what I'm leaning towards currently but would love some BFSSFG knowledge before I purchase anything.

Mainly though I need some help with choosing pedals. I was thinking that I'd just get a pair of SPD's for the lady and her 10 speed, but am not sure if there is a specific style cleat I would need that fits this type of shoe or if something simple such as this would work:

https://www.amazon.com/Shimano-SH51-S.../dp/B000R2MYB4

Also what style pedal might one recommend for a first time clipless set up that isn't gonna blow up my bank account, since this will be her first personal clipless setup. I was only thinking SPD because they seem to be the crowd favorite for road-riding and the 2nd hand market is pretty strong.

After researching on the topic, I'm leaning towards a Time Atac set-up for myself since people seem to lean towards those for fixed gear clipless riding and I have used them on MTB's before, they seemed to do their job well enough. Same question as above, is their a specific cleat I need or should any Time cleat work with this type of shoe? Same question with pedals, is there anything specific that I need in regard to using them with this style shoe.

So if tl;dr, but your opinions would be greatly appreciated on the matter, especially regarding the ladies set-up, cause i'm hoping that if I surprise her with new bike stuff she can't get mad at me for purchasing new bike stuff for myself, ya?

Thanks & I'm truly sorry that this question doesn't relate to frame sizing or whether or not I should buy a kilo TT. Gotta switch it up on ya'll every once in a while.
Old 06-08-13, 04:23 PM
rms13

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 276 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
I was looking at the same shoes a couple of months ago. I ended up going with Shimano MT33 shoes that I go for $50 from jensonusa. They are comfortable enough to walk around and look relatively normal off the bike and don't sound like tap shoes on pavement. The main reason I didn't go DZR or Chrome other then price was that a lot of reviews I read said the trade off of them being flexible soled for walking limited the effectiveness for riding and to go with a bike specific shoe with a stiff shank which I did. And I got Crank Bro egg beater pedals. I've been happy with both
Old 06-08-13, 04:33 PM
gregjones

Bikes: K2 Mod 5.0 Roadie, Fuji Commuter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Can't help with the street SPD shoe thing. I use a pair of Shimano lower end shoes, I wouldn't wear them for a long walk but they are fine to run into the pharmacy to get Cheryl's stuff. They don't click or anything on floors...yet anyway.

I use these Shimano pedals:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/2013-Shimano...item3f25d1d91f

There are less expensive pedals around but at $55 these are at the bottom of the whole pedal picture.

I like them. For a quick trip to the corner store a few miles away the platform side works great with most any shoe. They do get a bit slippery when wet, but that's what the other side is for.

I've got a few divided 4 lane highways to cross. I unclip and use the platform side so as not to have any clipless novice unclip, fall over problems with a log truck rolling down the hill.

As far a cleats, I use the ones that came with the pedals.
Old 06-08-13, 04:37 PM
gregjones

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by rms13
I ended up going with Shimano MT33 shoes that I go for $50 from jensonusa.
Those are the shoes I got. The sole is stiff but turns up right at the toe. You sorta "roll along".
Old 06-08-13, 05:15 PM
pwebb

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the info so far. I've looked into mountain bike shoes, only really leaning towards the Chrome/DZR because I could bike in them and wear them at work (mostly sitting in an office) as well as out for nightly shenanigans. I'd probably need two pairs of shoes if go the mountain bike shoe route.

@gregjones great recommendation for a pedal, i think the lady would enjoy those so she can still ride down to the beach in flipflops but also be able to clip-in when riding to work or for exercise. And i've been looking at used pedals mostly so i totally blanked that new pedals would come with cleats, which saves some of the worry.
Old 06-08-13, 05:15 PM
TejanoTrackie 
Veteran Racer

Bikes: 32 frames + 80 wheels

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1337 Post(s)
Liked 766 Times in 432 Posts
I use the Shimano PD-M520 SPD pedals, which include the cleats and cost $42 at Universal Cycles + $2.99 shipping if you select pick-a-product. I've used them for decades on both road and MTBs with no problems. They are double sided and very easy for entry and exit.

https://www.universalcycles.com/shopp...ils.php?id=711

My shoes are Shimano SH-MT51 and Keen Commuter 2 sandals. The Shimano sole is very stiff, so it's great on the bike but feels like walking in very stiff hiking boots. The Keen sandals are plenty stiff for riding and quite nice for walking.

Originally Posted by Dcv
I'd like to think i have as much money as brains.
I see the light at the end of the tunnel, but the tunnel keeps getting longer - me
Old 06-08-13, 06:02 PM
TejanoTrackie 
Veteran Racer

Also, I'm considering trying the Chrome Truk Pro, $95 @ Zappos.com

https://www.zappos.com/media/video/8/1/8/8184489.mp4

Originally Posted by Dcv
I see the light at the end of the tunnel, but the tunnel keeps getting longer - me
Old 06-08-13, 06:06 PM
Steev

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by TejanoTrackie
I use the Shimano PD-M520 SPD pedals, which include the cleats and cost $42 at Universal Cycles + $2.99 shipping if you select pick-a-product. I've used them for decades on both road and MTBs with no problems. They are double sided and very easy for entry and exit.

https://www.universalcycles.com/shopp...ils.php?id=711

My shoes are Shimano SH-MT51 and Keen Commuter 2 sandals. The Shimano sole is very stiff, so it's great on the bike but feels like walking in very stiff hiking boots. The Keen sandals are plenty stiff for riding and quite nice for walking.
Too much.
M520 for $25 plus $10 shipping here.
https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/M...x?ModelID=3759
Old 06-08-13, 06:25 PM
jlafitte 
Pirate/Smuggler

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Not SPD, but I've been clipping in with the Chrome Arnhem and Riverton shoes daily and they have the right amount of stiffness for the pedals but still feel normal for walking.
Old 06-08-13, 06:29 PM
rms13

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 276 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
I use my mt33 shoes to commute to work. I keep a pair of Sanuk at my desk but honestly I usually end up wearing the mt33 all day at work most days since I bike at lunch and I'm too lazy to change shoes multiple times. And I wear them off bike to restaurants and shopping
Old 06-08-13, 06:48 PM
TejanoTrackie 
Veteran Racer

Originally Posted by Steev
Too much.
M520 for $25 plus $10 shipping here.
https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/M...x?ModelID=3759
So you save $10 and wait 2-3 weeks for UK Royal Mail Int'l to deliver.

Originally Posted by Dcv
Old 06-08-13, 07:15 PM
gregjones

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I haven't used them or even seen a pair but the Keen Austin gets good reviews and I think they are in the just under $75 range.

In the pics they look like a nice casual/jean shoe.
Old 06-08-13, 07:53 PM
RGNY

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Shimano MT22 and M520 pedals here.

i tried Chrome and DZR. found both too flexy. felt like you were riding barefoot on the pedal.
Old 06-08-13, 07:56 PM
skielbasa
Sentient Sausage

Bikes: 2013 Leader 725, 2012 Windsor Clockwork Plus

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I use Chrome Midway's and Shimano M530 pedals (comes with single release cleats). The pedals are basically 520's with a frame around them to better support your foot, which besides being slightly more comfortable, also works as a rudimentary platform if you can't clip in right away or don't want to (such as when crossing traffic). The shoes are nice I wouldn't want to do significant amounts of walking in them because I don't like the pronounced rolling motion they make you do. They do click/grind on everything but perfectly level ground. FWIW the whole setup ran a bit under $130.
Old 06-08-13, 07:59 PM
Huffandstuff

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I don't mind the softness of the dzrs when pedaling, sure if you are trying to crush it would be bothersome but he wants it for casual riding/grocery getting which its perfect for. I ride the dzr shadows? And they are perfect for going out to the park and hanging out/riding around, plus they look good in cut offs.
Old 06-08-13, 08:02 PM
Huffandstuff

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Oh yeah, the M530s are what i'm rocking, bought a pair new from lbs for 50 and then a pair for the kilo for 9 bucks at the coop. If you've never fallen out of cages, you won't have much difficulty going clipless.
Old 06-08-13, 08:16 PM
jerseyJim

Bikes: Surly LHT, Wabi Special, All City Big Block, 1933 Iver Johnson Mobicycle, Giant TCR Advanced

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by gregjones
I haven't used them or even seen a pair but the Keen Austin gets good reviews and I think they are in the just under $75 range.

In the pics they look like a nice casual/jean shoe.

I bought a pair of Keen Austin's earlier this spring and I have over 1,000m on them now. Pretty versatile shoe. I've done rides up to 6o miles/ 5,000ft of climbing in them no problem.

They are so comfortable that sometimes I forget to take them off when i get home from a ride. I'll be doing an 8 day 500 mile tour in a couple of weeks so I will really put them to the test.
Old 06-08-13, 08:26 PM
bhchdh 

Bikes: '07 Trek 520, '09 Gary Fisher Triton, '04 Trek 8000, '85 Trek 500, '84 Trek 610, '85 Trek 510, '88 Trek 660, '92 Trek 930, Trek Multitrack 700

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Shimano PD-A530 pedals with a Pair of Keen Austins. A little pricey but well worth the money.
https://www.amazon.com/Keen-Austin-Pe...ds=keen+austin
https://www.nashbar.com/bikes/Product...00_-1___202531
"When I hear another express an opinion, which is not mine, I say to myself, He has a right to his opinion, as I to mine; why should I question it. His error does me no injury, and shall I become a Don Quixot to bring all men by force of argument, to one opinion? If a fact be misstated, it is probable he is gratified by a belief of it, and I have no right to deprive him of the gratification."

T. Jefferson

Last edited by bhchdh; 06-08-13 at 08:30 PM.
Old 06-08-13, 08:53 PM
pwebb

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thx a ton guys, definitely helped me out with some options for the lady with pedals and shoes.

Just curious, are these set up's for everyone's fixed gears? I was leaning towards Time Atac pedals simply because I've read and talked to people who prefer atac's for riding fixed, especially breakless. A couple people have come out of SPD's skidding and some other just think it's too easy to come out of them and prefer atac's. That's why I figured I'd just start with them and move on from there. Anyone else have any thoughts on this or is everyone here comfortable riding fixed in SPD's, especially brake-less riding.
Old 06-08-13, 08:56 PM
Huffandstuff

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I do spds brakeless, just set your float to minimum and don't pull Some super sick whip skids.
Old 06-08-13, 09:52 PM
JCNeumann

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 3 Posts
SPDs work fine on fixed gear. You may need to fiddle with the cleat tension, but I've never had any issues. I don't skid, but have had to get out REAL quick and had not issues.
Old 06-09-13, 02:00 AM
mukman

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I use the Chrome Truk Pros and the Shimano M530 pedals. It's good times!
Old 06-09-13, 02:08 AM
GENESTARWIND

Bikes: purty blue undefeated II 57cm

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 9 Posts
i ride shimano m520 pedals and specialized elite touring shoes, full tread more like a shoe than a mtb shoe. comfty as hell, two strap one ratchet system. Love em