Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg)
Reload this Page >

Gone are the days of Uber Clyde Status.

Search
Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-09, 09:44 PM
jaxgtr

Bikes: Trek Domane SLR 7 AXS, Trek CheckPoint SL7 AXS, Trek Emonda ALR AXS, Trek FX 5 Sport

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 774 Post(s)
Liked 1,772 Times in 1,027 Posts

Well, it's been a while, since I have been able to say this, about 12-15 years, but I am only 287.4 lbs now. I have dropped 27.6 lbs since Oct 15th and it feels great. I went to buy a new bathing suit yesterday as I started swimming due to a lower back injury and as another form of exercise and my old suit from 3 years ago was a 5x, new suit 2x.

It all about the calories folks, make sure you get enough to cover your exercise burn, but also make sure they are quality calories. I have slashed my intake of fats to no more than 20% of my daily calories. Carbs 50%, Protein 30% and fats 20%, that is my magic method. Total weight loss to date, 87.6 lbs and hope to have 100 lbs gone by March 1st.

Have a great Sunday.

Old 01-31-09, 09:50 PM
TedwardRoberts

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
cheers to progress.

Keep it up!
Old 01-31-09, 09:52 PM
Wino Ryder
"Purgatory Central"

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Thats excellent. Keep it up Brian, sounds like you're well on your way. I too have been fighting a hard battle with weight control and have lost about 45 lbs so far.

Old 01-31-09, 09:55 PM
jaxgtr

Bikes: Trek Domane SLR 7 AXS, Trek CheckPoint SL7 AXS, Trek Emonda ALR AXS, Trek FX 5 Sport

I hit a plateau for a year and then I finally started counting calories and that was when I seem to put all the pieces together. I just wasn't getting enough to eat and the body was not letting me lose the weight. Weird how that works.

congrats on the 45

Old 01-31-09, 11:32 PM
keithm0
Grizzled Curmudgeon

Bikes: Specialized Diverge, Santa Cruz Tallboy LT Carbon, Specialized Stumpjumper (hardtail), Kona Humuhumu, Co-Motion Nor'Wester

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Congratulations, jax! Well done.
Old 01-31-09, 11:56 PM
funrover 

Bikes: Mostly schwinn... few classics

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
That is AWESOME, Keep it up! That is great news to hear!
Old 02-01-09, 12:09 AM
Richard_Rides
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Good job, jax!
Old 02-01-09, 02:31 AM
jjbod1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Awsome!! Awesome!! Awsome!!
Old 02-01-09, 05:48 AM
jesspal

Bikes: 2009 BMC SLX01/2016 Santa Cruz Bronson

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
Congratulations, be sure to reward yourself.
Old 02-01-09, 12:33 PM
youcoming

Bikes: ParleeZ5/Parlee Chebacco/Trek Farley/Cannondale Slice/Burley Tandem

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 4 Posts
WTG keep up the good work, the less there is of you the easier the hills will be.
Old 02-01-09, 05:04 PM
jaxgtr

Originally Posted by jesspal
Congratulations, be sure to reward yourself.
Thanks everyone. I did reward myself last night. I went and had some chicken wings at Wild Wings. Been a long time since I had some and they were calling to me. Oh and I also got some goggles to cover the peepers when I am swimming.

Old 02-01-09, 06:08 PM
jesspal

Bikes: 2009 BMC SLX01/2016 Santa Cruz Bronson

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
I weighed in at 278 my lowest weight in years, I kinda keep it to myself because I am kinda embarassed to tell people at work. It is really a glorious feeling to be able to buy jeans that have the proper waist line but are not so long they go under my shoes.
Old 02-01-09, 07:04 PM
Fantasminha

Bikes: Giant FCR, Scott CR1 Team, Fuji Newest 3.0

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Wow.... that's awesome! Congrats Jax!
Old 02-01-09, 08:52 PM
RedC

Bikes: Trek Navigator, LeMond Buenos Aires, Madone 5.9, S-Works Roubaix

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Great job! Are you following a set diet? Where did you get your calorie information on what you needed to eat? I was dropping pretty steady for about 25lbs but I've stopped and I can't seem to get back on track. I'm sure it's about portions but I'm having difficulty cutting back.
Old 02-02-09, 05:45 AM
Jynx

Bikes: 2006 Cannondale CAAD8

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
awesome, stick with it!

Buy your bike parts here
Old 02-02-09, 09:14 AM
Neil_B

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Congratulations!

Old 02-02-09, 03:10 PM
Mazama
Bikezilla

Bikes: Co-Motion Mazama

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Congrats! We'll miss you up here. I've seen you progress the last 3 years and I'm proud of your commitment.

Unfortunately, I've pretty much stayed the same over the last 3 years. I need to find that magic combination. What is your daily caloric intake?
Old 02-02-09, 03:35 PM
Tom Stormcrowe
Out fishing with Annie on his lap, a cigar in one hand and a ginger ale in the other, watching the sunset.

Bikes: Techna Wheelchair and a Sun EZ 3 Recumbent Trike

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 17 Posts

First chance I've had to do this!

"We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." - Immanuel Kant
Old 02-02-09, 05:06 PM
jaxgtr

Thanks Tom

Originally Posted by jesspal
I weighed in at 278 my lowest weight in years, I kinda keep it to myself because I am kinda embarassed to tell people at work. It is really a glorious feeling to be able to buy jeans that have the proper waist line but are not so long they go under my shoes.
Oh heck no, everyone in my office knows what I weigh. I am singing it from the roof tops. I have been there almost 20 years, so they have seen me balloon to 375 so, the loss part is obvious. I was telling people that I was down to a 2x swim suit from a 5x just 3 year ago.

Originally Posted by Mazama
Congrats! We'll miss you up here. I've seen you progress the last 3 years and I'm proud of your commitment. Unfortunately, I've pretty much stayed the same over the last 3 years. I need to find that magic combination. What is your daily caloric intake?

Thanks you sir. Last year was a drag as I hit that 1 year plateau, but I seem to have found my stride. I cycle my calories based on my exercise that day or week. If I put in a lot of riding, I go up in calories to compensate, if I ride less than 1 hr, I will eat less. It's all about finding the magic calorie level to feed the body and allow for the weight loss.Yesterday I rode the bike for 10.5 miles and swam for 40 mins. I ate 1800 calories. The last two weeks, I have been down with a back issue and could not exercise, so I was eating about 1500-1700 a day, but a month ago, I was in the gym for 2 hrs a day an was eating around 2200-2500 a day.

Originally Posted by RedC
Great job! Are you following a set diet? Where did you get your calorie information on what you needed to eat? I was dropping pretty steady for about 25lbs but I've stopped and I can't seem to get back on track. I'm sure it's about portions but I'm having difficulty cutting back.
I use Spark People as my calorie counter. It's fairly good and it allows you to track around 75 different items. I do the big three Carbs, Protein and Fats, but I also watch Sodium. I started another thread on it some time ago right after I started it. Since Oct 15, I have dropped 28 lbs all due to eating more. I was eating good, just not enough and my body was holding on to every gram of grub I was eating. Once I starting eating more to compensate for the exercise, I started losing. I occasionally will hit plateaus, but I will change up my exercise routine and about a week later I will see results. It's all about feeding the body, if you watch the Biggest Loser, they are always talking about eating ever 4 hours or so. I for the most part do that. I make sure I eat protein at every meal and will have a fruit smoothie with some protein powder at night. I cut my fat back to less than 20% of my calories and follow that daily. Yesterday, I had a total of 18g of fats, but had 142g of protein. Since I have been watching the fats, I have really started dropping. Fat free yogurt, cheese and dressings only. Cheese is one of my favorite things, but I don't even miss it. Once I started to see results, I was stoked and now it just a daily lifestyle that does not get in the way.

If I have to attend a function with my wife or kids and the food is not what I would normally eat, I will eat, but just real small portions and will skip anything heavy in fats and bad calories. It really has not been that bad.

Here is my thread from Oct. https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread...899&highlight=

Last edited by jaxgtr; 02-02-09 at 05:09 PM.
Old 02-02-09, 05:55 PM
KingTermite 
On my TARDIScycle!

Bikes: Trek 520, Trek Navigator 300, Peugeot Versailles PE10DE

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
That's great Jax. SparkPeople website that you pointed me too has helped quite a bit. I have hit a bit of a plateau, but should bust that before too long. I'm "almost" ready to drop the uber part of uber-clyde as well.
Old 02-02-09, 06:03 PM
jaxgtr

That's great KT.

Old 02-03-09, 12:37 PM
b_young
Support JDRF

Bikes: Specialized Sirrus, Specialized Roubaix Elite

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Cool man!! Keep it up!!
Old 02-03-09, 01:04 PM
Jtgyk

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
+1 on Spark People. Very easy to use food diary (also helps for planning meals) and exercise log.

Pretty good forums too...but I like BF better. It's more active and has more of my peeps.

My nice new Nashbar Touring Build AKA "The Flying Avocadooooooooo!"
1998(?) Trek 700 Multitrack
1995 Trek 1220 AKA "Jimi"
Older Non-suspension Specialized Hardrock
Old 02-03-09, 05:53 PM
EasyEd

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Congratulations on the achievment. Now go print and frame the certificate that Tom made you.
Old 02-03-09, 06:48 PM
neilfein

Bikes: "Hildy", a Novara Randonee touring bike; a 16-speed Bike Friday Tikit; and a Specialized Stumpjumper frame-based built-up MTB, now serving as the kid-carrier, grocery-getter.

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Congratulations! New bike to celebrate?

My bands:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.