Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Touring with ADD/ADHD

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Touring with ADD/ADHD

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-11, 04:23 PM
LostitoaBianchi

Bikes: Trek 520

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Touring with ADD/ADHD

So I was just wondering if there are any people out there who take amphetamines like adderall or vyvanse while touring for a long time.

Generally I dont want to bike when I take those pills because im scared im gonna bonk. For those of you that dont know, these pillls suppress any need you have for food or water. You have to force yourself to eat basically.

But recently I was thinking of taking some on my next tour for those mornings that were just difficult to get going. Im probably using them for the wrong reason, which is not good. In general I dont need the meds to help me when I bike because i find biking works just as well for me to cure my problems.

Anyone have anything to say about this whole topic? Do you tour on your meds?
Old 12-20-11, 04:28 PM
Oregon Southpaw
Larger Chainring

Bikes: 1988 Schwinn Circuit. Bike-Boom-Puegeot. First "real bike" Trek 720 Hybrid in gross disrepair.

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I am the most severely ADHD'd individual you'll ever meet, and have been down all of the many paths regarding this "disorder" and its biological, chemical, and cultural aspects. Like you hint at, exercise is all the medicine a person should need for this condition. If riding isn't curing/treating your ADHD, you aren't doing it right.
Old 12-20-11, 04:55 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,356 Times in 863 Posts
since there are extraordinarily more pharmaceutical solutions to sell pills in The US
the individual gets diagnosed as suffering from being less able to cope with a deformed society.

take a bike tour in another country, and see if you are not really the problem.
Old 12-20-11, 05:18 PM
Caretaker
Heretic

Bikes: Specialized Sirrus, Giant OCR3, Giant CRS3

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 2827 Post(s)
Liked 561 Times in 429 Posts
If your "biking works just as well for me to cure my problems" then why take the meds?

It's common to find it hard to get going in the morning but pride and habit help, i.e. the more you do the easier it gets.

As you may suspect I'm not on any meds. but would genuinely be interested in any insights you could share about your condition.
Old 12-20-11, 06:09 PM
seeker333
-

Bikes: yes!

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 282 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 36 Posts
Originally Posted by LostitoaBianchi
So I was just wondering if there are any people out there who take amphetamines like adderall or vyvanse while touring for a long time.
I've heard there's some bicyclists who use amphetamines on an annual 3-week tour, over in France...
Old 12-20-11, 08:08 PM
Bronsonb

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Lol.. I am sure adderall will give you a lot more oomph to get those miles in while on tour.
Old 12-20-11, 08:19 PM
BigAura

Bikes: all steel stable: surly world troller, paris sport fixed, fuji ss

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 623 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 33 Posts
You don't need to take the drugs. Touring is the drug.
Old 12-21-11, 04:29 AM
Caretaker
Heretic

Bikes: Specialized Sirrus, Giant OCR3, Giant CRS3

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 2827 Post(s)
Liked 561 Times in 429 Posts
Originally Posted by seeker333
I've heard there's some bicyclists who use amphetamines on an annual 3-week tour, over in France...
If they were you could be sure there'd be some on a one week tour in the U.S. taking them also.
Old 12-21-11, 04:40 AM
contango 
2 Fat 2 Furious

Bikes: 2009 Specialized Rockhopper Comp Disc, 2009 Specialized Tricross Sport RIP

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

Generally I dont want to bike when I take those pills because im scared im gonna bonk. For those of you that dont know, these pillls suppress any need you have for food or water. You have to force yourself to eat basically.

But recently I was thinking of taking some on my next tour for those mornings that were just difficult to get going. Im probably using them for the wrong reason, which is not good. In general I dont need the meds to help me when I bike because i find biking works just as well for me to cure my problems.

Anyone have anything to say about this whole topic? Do you tour on your meds?
I'm a little puzzled about just what you're asking here.

I'm more than a little skeptical about the level of diagnosis of ADD/ADHD - it seems to me that children need a chance to run around and let off steam and also need to know when to sit down and shut up. It seems there are ever-more "disorders" that ultimately boil down to a lack of discipline. Unfortunately it also seems that a massive over-diagnosis of "disorders" also makes it harder to take a problem seriously when there really is a serious problem that isn't just down to knowing who's in charge.

That said I'm not sure whether you're talking about taking prescribed medication to control a recognised medical problem or taking something to give you a boost in the morning when you feel lethargic (I feel lethargic most mornings, simply because I'm not a morning person). I'm also puzzled why you need to take medication at all if cycling is all you need - it makes me think your body has what it needs to solve the problem and the pills give you a partial solution while introducing another problem (i.e. the bit about not eating) where cycling would give you a complete solution. So again I'm unclear why you'd even want to take pills that don't offer you anything the riding doesn't.

I'm not medically qualified so take what I've written as an opinion rather than a qualified medical opinion.
Old 12-21-11, 05:03 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 329 Posts

I'm not a morning person ... it's difficult to get going every morning ... my "drug" of choice is coffee. A hot shower and brisk walk help as well ... as does a good night's sleep.
Old 12-21-11, 05:52 AM
wahoonc
Membership Not Required

Bikes: Giant Excursion, Raleigh Sports, Raleigh R.S.W. Compact, Motobecane? and about 20 more! OMG

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Machka
I'm not a morning person ... it's difficult to get going every morning ... my "drug" of choice is coffee. A hot shower and brisk walk help as well ... as does a good night's sleep.
I do all that and I AM morning person!

I am ADD but not medicated for it, I use a variety of coping mechanisms and have had no problem touring. By most counts mine is on the lower end of the scale and medication would be of limited value.

Aaron

ISO: A late 1980's Giant Iguana MTB frameset (or complete bike) 23" Red with yellow graphics.

"Cycling should be a way of life, not a hobby.
RIDE, YOU FOOL, RIDE!"
_Nicodemus

"Steel: nearly a thousand years of metallurgical development
Aluminum: barely a hundred
Which one would you rather have under your butt at 30mph?"
_krazygluon
Old 12-21-11, 07:24 AM
FunkyStickman
On a Mission from God

Bikes: '10 Surly LHT, Rat-rod Klunker, '82 Peugeot PH12 Centennial

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Oregon Southpaw
I am the most severely ADHD'd individual you'll ever meet, and have been down all of the many paths regarding this "disorder" and its biological, chemical, and cultural aspects. Like you hint at, exercise is all the medicine a person should need for this condition. If riding isn't curing/treating your ADHD, you aren't doing it right.
This has been my experience, too... exercise helped me the most.
Old 12-22-11, 08:51 AM
Barrettscv 
Have bike, will travel

Bikes: Ridley Helium SLX, Canyon Endurance SL, De Rosa Professional, Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra, Schwinn Paramount (1 painted, 1 chrome), Peugeot PX10, Serotta Nova X, Simoncini Cyclocross Special, Raleigh Roker, Pedal Force CG2 and CX2

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 910 Post(s)
Liked 288 Times in 158 Posts
Originally Posted by fietsbob
since there are extraordinarily more pharmaceutical solutions to sell pills in The US
the individual gets diagnosed as suffering from being less able to cope with a deformed society.

take a bike tour in another country, and see if you are not really the problem.
+1

to: LostittoaBianchi, find a doctor who believes in exercise.
When I ride my bike I feel free and happy and strong. I'm liberated from the usual nonsense of day to day life. Solid, dependable, silent, my bike is my horse, my fighter jet, my island, my friend. Together we will conquer that hill and thereafter the world.
Old 12-23-11, 07:50 AM
Stannian

Bikes: Surly Long Haul Trucker

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Troll has some things to say about this... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6E78k...1&feature=plcp
Old 12-24-11, 01:28 PM
LiveandLetDrive

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
There is obviously a lot of ignorance here about what AD(H)D is and isn't, as ever. Overdiagnosed in childhood though it may be there is far more depth to it than "spastic children with negligent parents." Regardless there seems to be two angles here and they're going to vary enough person-to-person that you should probably do what you may already know is right in your case. The two angles: 1) Is it medically advisable to suddenly change your medication regimen suddenly, and 2) how will a different regimen affect your touring ability? In both cases gradually transitioning as part of your training schedule (if you have one) is probably a good idea. I am not a doctor and for angle #1 you should probably consult yours.

Personally I am on a non-stimulant med and as it has an impact on blood pressure stopping suddenly is not a good idea from me, especially with intense exercise added. Exercise is a critical part of the overall "coping" strategy though so it could be that less or no meds are the way to go. Commuting every day has been a significant boon for me. (Diet matters too.)

One part of my specific situation: when unmedicated I have a noticeable decrease in impulse-control. This has often led to dangerous/aggressive decisions whether riding or driving. Stimulant meds may well have the opposite effect but keep that in mind!

1st post!
Old 12-25-11, 02:55 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3871 Post(s)
Liked 2,572 Times in 1,579 Posts
Originally Posted by Machka
That's how this ADD patient self-medicates, as an adult. It's largely successful.
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 12-27-11, 06:20 PM
Barrettscv 
Have bike, will travel

Bikes: Ridley Helium SLX, Canyon Endurance SL, De Rosa Professional, Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra, Schwinn Paramount (1 painted, 1 chrome), Peugeot PX10, Serotta Nova X, Simoncini Cyclocross Special, Raleigh Roker, Pedal Force CG2 and CX2

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 910 Post(s)
Liked 288 Times in 158 Posts
Originally Posted by LiveandLetDrive
There is obviously a lot of ignorance here about what AD(H)D is and isn't, as ever. Overdiagnosed in childhood though it may be there is far more depth to it than "spastic children with negligent parents." Regardless there seems to be two angles here and they're going to vary enough person-to-person that you should probably do what you may already know is right in your case. The two angles: 1) Is it medically advisable to suddenly change your medication regimen suddenly, and 2) how will a different regimen affect your touring ability? In both cases gradually transitioning as part of your training schedule (if you have one) is probably a good idea. I am not a doctor and for angle #1 you should probably consult yours.

Personally I am on a non-stimulant med and as it has an impact on blood pressure stopping suddenly is not a good idea from me, especially with intense exercise added. Exercise is a critical part of the overall "coping" strategy though so it could be that less or no meds are the way to go. Commuting every day has been a significant boon for me. (Diet matters too.)

One part of my specific situation: when unmedicated I have a noticeable decrease in impulse-control. This has often led to dangerous/aggressive decisions whether riding or driving. Stimulant meds may well have the opposite effect but keep that in mind!

1st post!
That's a great first post, welcome to BikeForums!
When I ride my bike I feel free and happy and strong. I'm liberated from the usual nonsense of day to day life. Solid, dependable, silent, my bike is my horse, my fighter jet, my island, my friend. Together we will conquer that hill and thereafter the world.
Old 12-27-11, 09:30 PM
r2thekesh

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If it's just the morning, I'd think about requesting a lower dose pill and using a non-extended release formula for adderall/amphetamine based medications. Talk to your doctor.
Old 12-30-11, 08:08 PM
aprilstarchild

Bikes: 1961 Raleigh Sports, 1985 Miyata two-ten, 1995 Novara Randonee

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have ADHD and I take Adderall while touring. For those of you who don't have ADHD: It doesn't work on me the same way amphetamines work on you. I don't suddenly have this burst of energy or anything. I've been taking it for almost seven years, so there's a tolerance issue of course. It's just glasses for my brain--it brings things into better focus, and I have more control over my attention.

Too many of the other comments are the usual "no such thing as ADHD/riding should cure it" bull****. Yeah, my bicycle has been one of the biggest boosts to my mental health--but it's easily third place, behind the love of my family and friends and my Adderall.

Why I take my Adderall on tour: Because it helps me get organized/fed/packed up in the morning and not be distracted (I am also NOT a morning person, ugh). Because it allows me to pay attention while riding, which is not a small thing. It means I do less stupid things: I'm less likely to swerve into traffic. I'm less likely to ride right into my boyfriend's back because I wasn't paying attention. It means I can be "in the moment" and actually enjoy the ride and the scenery instead of following the endless bunnies in my head. It means I have the patience to ride long days. It means I am less likely to lose stuff every time we stop (I do sometimes lose things, but it's MUCH less often).

I take the short-acting version of Adderall, and I time my doses carefully. I've been on it long enough that I *can* eat while I'm on it, just not as much. And so I eat a big breakfast before my first dose takes effect, and then I nibble something (a couple cookies, a handful of trial mix) and drink some water at least once an hour. And then when my first dose wears off totally four or five hours after I take it, I sit down for a real lunch before taking my next dose. And then it's back to nibbles until dinner! You get the idea. I end up taking two or three doses a day.

Touring has some advantages for the person with ADHD, though, compared to day-to-day life...the biggest thing, for me? It's so easy to put everything away! There's only so many places to put your things, and once you get so that everything has a place, it's so much easier to pack up in the morning.

Try to get into the habit of looking around before leaving EVERY SINGLE TIME you stop. I realize this is hard and I am certainly not perfect, but I swear that every time I forgot to look around before getting back on my bike, I lost something. There was once I ended up adding ten miles to the day because I'd dropped my hoodie and went back for it, there was another time I left sunglasses at a lunch stop....yeah.
Old 01-01-12, 05:55 PM
gpsblake
Walmart bike rider

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 24 Posts
This is question you probably really need to be asking your doctor, and not relying on us. When you tour, your body's chemistry is going to completely change. Example: You will eat twice as many calories, you will burn twice as many calories, you will drink far more fluids, and all other kinds of physical changes including possible weight loss... ADD/ADHD is also a physical disease based on chemicals in the brain so while the medicines you take now may work, they may work differently while on a tour. But certainly, ask your doctor about this for a good answer.

Best wishes.
Old 01-02-12, 07:37 PM
Altamont

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
where can I get some of those pills to make me not want to eat anything?
Old 01-04-12, 03:01 PM
Lamabb
Doesn't ride enough

Bikes: 2010 Cannondale Caad9 5 / 2010 Surly Long Haul Trucker/ 2013 Orbea Orca Bli2 / 2011 Specialized Rock Hopper

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I have ADHD and take Vyvanse. But this summer I did a 2 month tour of the Trans-am bike route. I did not take medication for the whole trip and had no problem at all. Then again, I don't typically have any trouble waking up.

Do what feels right, but I don't see the need for it. I didn't have any need.