Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

making my own bike chain wax lube

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

making my own bike chain wax lube

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-19, 06:29 PM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2338 Post(s)
Liked 2,822 Times in 1,541 Posts
Tinker if you must, all for tinkering, but I really don't get all the the threads in various forums about this and other lube related. ideas.

the actual cost of buying lubes is so cheap, that unless you are doing hundreds of bikes the cost is negligible

Also if if you are doing treatments that require taking your chain off, include the cost of quick links.....as most 11 speed are not resusable (per manufacturer)

form me it is

Rock and Roll Gold for chains
Phils waterproof grease for bearings
rock and roll red devil grease for threads
Phils tenacious oil for touching up freewheels
Triflow for everything else

Old 02-27-19, 09:21 PM
frogman

Bikes: Wife says I have too many :-)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 327 Post(s)
Liked 250 Times in 158 Posts
Originally Posted by lmtada

Tinkering is good. Tinkering, leads to creativity. Which leads to invention. Which leads to better product/service. Love Capitalism. Love America...Yahoo....

well said. !!!!!!!!!!
Old 02-27-19, 09:26 PM
MikeyMK
Cycleway town

Bikes: 2.6kw GT LTS e-tandem, 250w Voodoo, 250w solar recumbent trike, 3-speed shopper, Merlin ol/skl mtb, 80cc Ellswick

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 169 Times in 117 Posts
Silicon car tyre/bumper shine
Old 02-27-19, 09:34 PM
frogman

Originally Posted by canklecat
Try some Boeshield T-9 instead of making it from scratch. It's paraffin in solvent. Developed by an aerospace company that had plenty of money and expertise to throw into making an effective lube/surface protection material.

Doesn't cost much. Low odor. Work well on chains, derailleurs, wicks quickly down oxidized cables if there isn't time for an overhaul and cable/housing replacement. Leaves very little residue. Chains clean up quickly and easily. I use it to touch up chains between paraffin dips.

Only downside is it doesn't last long per application. Takes about one application per week if I'm riding 3 or more times a week. Pretty much the same as most dry or paraffin in solvent type lubes, according to most user reports.

In comparison Park CL-1 usually lasts all winter on my hybrid. But CL-1, like most wet lubes, attracts a lot of black gunky debris that can't be easily cleaned just wiping the chain. The chain with Boeshield T-9 wipes cleanly pretty easily. Not as clean as dry paraffin, but not bad either.

I have tried most of the lubes over the years and have settled on Boeshield. Like you said doesn't last that long but that is relative. About every third ride I spritz the chain then run it through a rag, easy peasy. Isn't a dirt magnet like some of the others, stays pretty clean. I knew it was developed by an aerospace company but didn't know it was paraffin in a solvent. That explains why it is not a dirt magnet
Old 02-27-19, 11:27 PM
MarcusT

Quoted: 766 Post(s)
Liked 616 Times in 344 Posts
Originally Posted by frogman
+1 Exactly !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Originally Posted by rydabent
Simply put wax is NOT a lube.
Well, then somebody had better let my chain know that, because it has done 3,000 km with wax on it
Old 02-28-19, 03:22 AM
Teamprovicycle
Banned

Bikes: Specialized tarmac sl2 giant tcx zero

Quoted: 319 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Wattsup
To bring this thread even more OT.....

I've been having pretty good luck with White Lightning Clean Ride of late. I did a 30 mile, very wet gravel ride on Sunday and made it back with no chirping birds at all. Had excellent shifting the entire ride. Short of an outright downpour, this was a pretty good torture test.

I apply quite liberally the night before.
i use it too i have no problem other than buying it , id like to be able to make some for cheap , you can always use oil with the wax .
Old 02-28-19, 03:27 AM
Teamprovicycle
Banned

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by squirtdad
Tinker if you must, all for tinkering, but I really don't get all the the threads in various forums about this and other lube related. ideas.

the actual cost of buying lubes is so cheap, that unless you are doing hundreds of bikes the cost is negligible

Also if if you are doing treatments that require taking your chain off, include the cost of quick links.....as most 11 speed are not resusable (per manufacturer)

form me it is

Rock and Roll Gold for chains
Phils waterproof grease for bearings
rock and roll red devil grease for threads
Phils tenacious oil for touching up freewheels
Triflow for everything else
i dont get it , i use 10 speed sram chains , the shimano chains require the special pin , a few for like 10 bucks , i only have one shimano drive train , i prefer sram now , but if i buy wax for under 10 bucks , Teflon under 10 , mix it up , and wax my chain , i have lube for months , and if i need to train in the wet , mostly in the summer months i can just use some of the liquid type , over all i need a lube that can increase efficient , and decrease wear .
Old 02-28-19, 07:12 AM
downhillmaster

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 980 Post(s)
Liked 776 Times in 402 Posts
Originally Posted by sdmc530
LMAO, this made me spit my coffee.

I do agree though, this is a bunch of fuss. I wax my chains. I simply buy the speed wax stuff and I am good. $22 a bag lasts me a long time and my results are very good. No use messing with this process.....If I do get a bit low on product I will put in a chunk of candle was until the new supply arrives. Simple, effective, done.
Old 02-28-19, 07:20 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18409 Post(s)
Liked 15,530 Times in 7,326 Posts
Originally Posted by squirtdad
You have to keep in mind that this place is rife with people who will spend hours searching the Internets to save $0.50 on things like inner tubes and buy multi-lifetime supplies of CO2 cartridges because the unit cost is much lower than that you can get from a LBS.
Old 02-28-19, 07:30 AM
bugs11

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Bacon grease, economical and smells great.
Old 02-28-19, 01:22 PM
John_V 

Bikes: 2017 Colnago C-RS, 2012 Colnago Ace, 2010 Giant Cypress hybrid

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 408 Post(s)
Liked 122 Times in 85 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
You have to keep in mind that this place is rife with people who will spend hours searching the Internets to save $0.50 on things like inner tubes and buy multi-lifetime supplies of CO2 cartridges because the unit cost is much lower than that you can get from a LBS.
The last 4oz bottle of Squirt that I got was from Amazon and I paid right at $12.00 and change. That was back in October. As of today, I'm not quite half way through that bottle. $12.00 vs buying the wax and other ingredients, plus the time it takes to wax the chain and clean up just doesn't make sense to me. And lets not forget the cost of a cheap crockpot since attempting to use my wife's to wax a chain would be very detrimental to my health.

2017 Colnago C-RS
2012 Colnago Ace
2010 Giant Cypress
Old 02-28-19, 05:25 PM
DaveSSS 

Bikes: Cinelli superstar disc, two Yoeleo R12

Quoted: 1097 Post(s)
Liked 559 Times in 446 Posts
My home brew wax lube formula is 1 ounce by weight of paraffin, to 6-7 ounces of naptha, plus about 3% heavy oil, like auto gear lube. I've had a bottle of Royal Purple gear lube that I've been using for many years. It makes a good drilling and tapping lube in the workshop. The cheapest naptha that I've found is Crown brand camp stove fuel for about $8.50 a gallon at Walmart. Naptha will evaporate quickly and there is no lingering odor.

Paraffin can be dissolved in naptha, but it's a slow process without some heat. You can melt the paraffin and pour it into the naptha.

Xylene is not needed. Paraffin oil, also not needed. 91% isoproplyl alcohol is 9% water and won't dissolve paraffin.

Last edited by DaveSSS; 03-04-19 at 11:43 AM.
Old 02-28-19, 07:04 PM
lmtada

Bikes: Trek Fuel 100, GT Road Bike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by bugs11
Bacon grease, economical and smells great.
Attracts Bears. I am not fast.......
Old 02-28-19, 07:26 PM
MikeyMK
Cycleway town

Bikes: 2.6kw GT LTS e-tandem, 250w Voodoo, 250w solar recumbent trike, 3-speed shopper, Merlin ol/skl mtb, 80cc Ellswick

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 169 Times in 117 Posts
No bears here.
Old 02-28-19, 08:32 PM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
Originally Posted by MarcusT
Well, then somebody had better let my chain know that, because it has done 3,000 km with wax on it
Wow 1800 miles. I lube my chains with Mobil 1 oil and get a little over 8000 miles on them before the Park chain wear tool says I should change them.
Old 02-28-19, 10:10 PM
frogman

Wow 1800 miles. I lube my chains with Mobil 1 oil and get a little over 8000 miles on them before the Park chain wear tool says I should change them.

Mobil 1 oil. Thats unfair. We are trying to make our own concoctions and here you go with an automotive lubricant that is formulated to lube in much more severe applications like timing chains in vehicles. How could you be so insensitive ?
Old 02-28-19, 10:54 PM
MarcusT

Quoted: 766 Post(s)
Liked 616 Times in 344 Posts
Who said anything about the chain being worn?
Old 03-01-19, 12:52 AM
frogman

Thinking about motor oil and timing chains, etc got me to thinking about chain saw chain oil. Has anyone tried it on bike chains ? Its obviously designed for chains.
Old 03-01-19, 08:36 AM
DaveSSS 

Bikes: Cinelli superstar disc, two Yoeleo R12

Quoted: 1097 Post(s)
Liked 559 Times in 446 Posts
I've read reports of people using every type of oil you can imagine, like chain saw oil, transmission fluid and motor oil. Any of them will work, but you still have a wet dirty drivetrain.
I used the Royal purple gear lube thinned substantially with mineral spirits for many years, and it worked well, but it required a lot of cleaning.

I've been using my home brew dry wax lube for a couple of thousand miles and it's amazing how clean the drivetrain remains. Unlike those who use melted wax on their chains, I reapply the lube frequently, since it won't build-up and dirty the sprockets and chain. Occasional removal of the chain for a good cleaning to remove grit is still a good idea.
Old 03-01-19, 09:05 AM
dahoneezz

Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts

He has another video where he dunks the hot chain in cold water.

Well if the melted chain thing lasts 400 km, it will be worth it. Currently, I am using the Dupont aerosol spray can. Gets grimy after a couple of rides.
Old 03-01-19, 10:05 AM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
I have a crockpot filled with 8oz of paraffin and 1 fl.oz of Slick50 High Mileage Engine Treatment. I dip my chains once a month, so each hot wax lasts ~500 miles. After 500 miles, I can run the chain through my hands and not get dirty.

Miles using hot wax... around 18,000, I think? If you ride where it rains a whole lot, hot wax is probably not for you. I use Squirt during winter months to "touch up" the chain between dips (say after a particularly wet/muddy day.) I have been unable to recreate a Squirt replacement via DIY. I bought my 4oz bottle in May of 2017 and it's still not empty-- being used for touch up on 4 bikes, 5 chains. Hot wax is good, Squirt is good, the two in conjunction are near perfect.
Old 03-02-19, 10:22 PM
frogman

I understand what you guys say about the wax keeping the external surface of the chain cleaner but I'm not sure that it lubricates. I like the cleaner aspect however, if there is a trade off of clean chain / lubed chain I think I lean toward the clean chain. You guys are very convincing, I think I will give the wax a try.
Old 03-02-19, 10:29 PM
Wattsup

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 376 Post(s)
Liked 40 Times in 35 Posts
Wattsup's Original, biodegradable chain lube:

1. Completely strip chain with mineral spirits. Allow to dry overnight.

2. Set chain in a medium-sized skillet. Brush on extra-virgin olive oil. Yes, olive oil.

3. Heat on low, 3 minutes, being sure not to allow oil to smoke. The goal here is to simply warm the chain and oil. Remove from heat.

4. Promptly sprinkle a *very* light coating of powdered sugar on your chain....less is better. Heat again on medium/high for 1 minute or until light brown sheen appears on chain. This is the caramelization phase.

5. Remove from heat, allow to cool, reinstall chain.

6. Enjoy an all-natural, food grade, "dry" lube that won't collect dirt and that is very water resistant!
Old 03-02-19, 10:38 PM
Doctor Morbius
Interocitor Command

Bikes: 3 Road Bikes, 2 Hybrids

Quoted: 596 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 40 Posts
Originally Posted by Teamprovicycle
i use it [White Lightning Clean Ride] too i have no problem other than buying it , id like to be able to make some for cheap , you can always use oil with the wax .
Last Summer I bought a quart of the stuff for $30 on Amazon (it's higher than that now). With Indiana state sales tax it came to just over $32, so that's only $1.00 per ounce. At $1 per ounce I'll pony up the cash.

My "favorite" clean lube is Boeshield, but unless one buys a freakin' gallon of the stuff it ain't no $1.00 per ounce. More like $2.50 per ounce, making it a little too spendy. If I had 3 other friends who were into cycling and could have talked them into splitting a gallon 4-ways, I would have done it.

I'm curious how your wax homebrew turns out. Just don't blow up your house trying to make it.

ADDENDUM: I haven't tried Finish Line Dry, but a 32 ounce bottle is $29.00 before taxes with free shipping. So that's only $1-ish per ounce for practically a lifetime supply with no muss and no fuss.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001C65JTI...ter_B00M77CIXQ

Last edited by Doctor Morbius; 03-02-19 at 10:46 PM.
Old 03-03-19, 01:19 AM
Teamprovicycle
Banned

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Doctor Morbius
Last Summer I bought a quart of the stuff for $30 on Amazon (it's higher than that now). With Indiana state sales tax it came to just over $32, so that's only $1.00 per ounce. At $1 per ounce I'll pony up the cash.

My "favorite" clean lube is Boeshield, but unless one buys a freakin' gallon of the stuff it ain't no $1.00 per ounce. More like $2.50 per ounce, making it a little too spendy. If I had 3 other friends who were into cycling and could have talked them into splitting a gallon 4-ways, I would have done it.

I'm curious how your wax homebrew turns out. Just don't blow up your house trying to make it.

ADDENDUM: I haven't tried Finish Line Dry, but a 32 ounce bottle is $29.00 before taxes with free shipping. So that's only $1-ish per ounce for practically a lifetime supply with no muss and no fuss.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001C65JTI...ter_B00M77CIXQ
it will be a simple wax , i was just thinking of it being more of an enhanced wax , instead of just using plain old paraffin wax i could start simple just add some Teflon powder or nano ceramic powder see how it does , i doubt i could really tell the difference , but it would more of just something to do , i do need a better solution mostly for the training bike because i use it a lot and i need to have the drive train as close to maximum efficiency as possible , i find the oils don't work any better the rain washed off everything by the time your into a four plus hour ride .

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.