Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Does this Bottom Bracket install look correct?

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Old 02-19-21, 10:25 PM
duongrn

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I have a Trek Domane SLR 2020 and had a bottom bracket installed at a Trek Bike Shop and this is what the T47 bottom bracket looks like after install by the bike shop.

I feel like there is no chance to get the BB off now that the thread looks to be stripped. The RH cup is the ones that looks like the grooves are damaged.

RH cups looks like grooves are damaged

LH cups look fine
Old 02-19-21, 11:09 PM
sch

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 303 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 104 Posts
I suspect that the cups will be removable with the right tool when the time comes. But you are right, the RH cup will
not tolerate re-install based on the buggered flutes. The "threads" are not visible in the photos and I suspect they
are fine. I assume you refer to the flutes which the splines on the tool engages and are deformed on the 'tighten'
side of the cups.

Was the paint like that before or after the servicing? I could see where the tool could easily strip the paint off.
Old 02-19-21, 11:27 PM
duongrn

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Yep, the paint and grease are ugly but not my concern.

Yep, I mean to say "flutes"/"grooves" on the outside and not the threads on the inside.
Old 02-20-21, 10:02 AM
Crankycrank

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 835 Post(s)
Liked 1,055 Times in 740 Posts
That's a pretty crappy install by a shop if the BB cup was pristine before they installed it. The flutes shouldn't have any damage at all. With the price of the Praxis BB's I wouldn't be happy and would try to figure out a resolution with the shop.
Likes For Crankycrank:
Old 02-20-21, 10:11 AM
cxwrench

Bikes: lots

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1958 Post(s)
Liked 2,932 Times in 1,489 Posts
A bike shop did that? That's some pretty horrific work.
Likes For cxwrench:
Old 02-20-21, 10:56 AM
mack_turtle
n00b

Bikes: Surly Karate Monkey, Twin Six Standard Rando

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 428 Post(s)
Liked 466 Times in 273 Posts
did they use adjustable pliers to install? yikes. they owe you a new BB because they fudged that install badly.
Likes For mack_turtle:
Old 02-20-21, 11:56 AM
jimc101

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 453 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 87 Posts
Originally Posted by mack_turtle
did they use adjustable pliers to install? yikes. they owe you a new BB because they fudged that install badly.
If the BB shell was un-marked before the install, would be wanting a new frame, or at minimum a factory re-paint, as that is messed up, the BB condition is the last of the issues with that, for such a new bike.
Likes For jimc101:
Old 02-20-21, 03:00 PM
themp

Bikes: Specialized Crosstrail

Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 44 Posts
Looks like the bottom bracket tool slipped when they tried to torque it down. I assume you could request a new nut as it was damaged. The orange rings on both sides have some kind of deposits or the grease has just solidified in a strange way. I assume you road this for a while before you saw the damage and this is not fresh from the install?
Old 02-20-21, 04:12 PM
cxwrench

Bikes: lots

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1958 Post(s)
Liked 2,932 Times in 1,489 Posts
Originally Posted by jimc101
If the BB shell was un-marked before the install, would be wanting a new frame, or at minimum a factory re-paint, as that is messed up, the BB condition is the last of the issues with that, for such a new bike.
^This^
Originally Posted by themp
Looks like the bottom bracket tool slipped when they tried to torque it down. I assume you could request a new nut as it was damaged. The orange rings on both sides have some kind of deposits or the grease has just solidified in a strange way. I assume you road rode this for a while before you saw the damage and this is not fresh from the install?
Ok, that's not a 'nut' that's one of the bottom bracket cups. The seals have grease on them, it's nothing unusual. It's not solidified at all. The only thing you've got correct is that is looks like the bb tool slipped during install.
Old 02-20-21, 04:52 PM
TiHabanero

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1726 Post(s)
Liked 1,350 Times in 705 Posts
Not sure if the tool slip during install or just seriously high torque applied and alloy deformed. Apply touch up paint to the shell as it will happen again the next time around anyway. Better yet, paint that area black. I think it will look better that way. .
Old 02-21-21, 01:29 PM
jimc101

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 453 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 87 Posts
Originally Posted by TiHabanero
Not sure if the tool slip during install or just seriously high torque applied and alloy deformed. Apply touch up paint to the shell as it will happen again the next time around anyway. Better yet, paint that area black. I think it will look better that way. .
I could understand this if it was something that you did at home, but the OP has a 2020 bike, so effectively new, and the the work was done at a bike shop, which appears to have messed up big time, add to that, the OP said it was done at a Trek Bike Shop, if a bike shop operated under a specific brand, the assumption would be that they know what they are doing with that brands products!
Likes For jimc101:
Old 02-22-21, 04:41 AM
Geepig

Bikes: Romet Jubilat x 4, Wigry x 1, Turing x 1

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Liked 204 Times in 151 Posts
Is there any reason why the orange bit on both sides appears to poke out a bit on the right hand side?
Old 02-24-21, 01:32 PM
duongrn

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by jimc101
I could understand this if it was something that you did at home, but the OP has a 2020 bike, so effectively new, and the the work was done at a bike shop, which appears to have messed up big time, add to that, the OP said it was done at a Trek Bike Shop, if a bike shop operated under a specific brand, the assumption would be that they know what they are doing with that brands products!
Yep, this is a 2020 bike and because I wanted to be done right took it to a Trek Authorized Dealer Shop. This is what they did.
There was some paint chips on the frame, but not as much as you see in the pictures.
Old 02-24-21, 01:32 PM
duongrn

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Geepig
Is there any reason why the orange bit on both sides appears to poke out a bit on the right hand side?
The orange is just a dust cap so can be flush on both sides. The bike shop really greased it up.
Likes For duongrn:
Old 02-26-21, 02:07 AM
Geepig

Bikes: Romet Jubilat x 4, Wigry x 1, Turing x 1

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Liked 204 Times in 151 Posts
Originally Posted by duongrn
The orange is just a dust cap so can be flush on both sides. The bike shop really greased it up.
Ah, ok, that makes sense. As I still live in the dark ages of BBs with my older bikes, I am still learning
Old 02-27-21, 05:33 PM
themp

Bikes: Specialized Crosstrail

Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 44 Posts
Originally Posted by cxwrench
^This^

Ok, that's not a 'nut' that's one of the bottom bracket cups. The seals have grease on them, it's nothing unusual. It's not solidified at all. The only thing you've got correct is that is looks like the bb tool slipped during install.
Old 02-27-21, 08:18 PM
vane171

Quoted: 252 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 48 Posts
This is why I try to do everything myself, even if it means buying some special wrench for the job and plumbing this forum for know-how. I'd take this back to the shop that did that as that is totally unacceptable.