Search
Notices
Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals. Use this subforum for all requests as to "How much is this vintage bike worth?"Do NOT try to sell it in here, use the Marketplaces.

Like New Motobecane Grand Touring

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-21, 04:07 PM
lorica 

Bikes: 2011 Specialized Dolce Comp, 1990 Cannondale Black Lightning and several other vintage

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 14 Posts
Like New Motobecane Grand Touring

My local co-op is selling this beautiful 59 cm Motobecane Grand Touring bike. It's clearly had little use and is in near new condition. The handlebar wrap seems like it's never been exposed to the elements. After it was donated, they installed new Panaracer Pasela tires and, possibly new cables then made sure it was properly tuned. They're about to price it. I snapped these photos yesterday using a garage near the co-op as background, I'd like to help them get a price for it.

Opinions on value?

Old 03-15-21, 04:15 PM
Insidious C. 

Bikes: One of everything and three of everything French

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 463 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 213 Posts
A Grand Touring in good condition is typically a $125 bike. This one is exceptional, so $200. That's my thought on fair market price, not flipper boutique prices.
Old 03-16-21, 06:07 AM
big chainring 

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 751 Post(s)
Liked 727 Times in 351 Posts
Whats a pair of Paselas cost these days? $70? I think $300 would be a good asking price.
Old 03-16-21, 07:54 AM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5888 Post(s)
Liked 3,471 Times in 2,079 Posts
Vitus 172 main triangle, right? This bike has good tubing, forged drop outs, quality alloy components, nice tires, and is very clean. This is a classy bike. The zefal HP is a good pump. I know I'd ask right around $250 for it.
Old 03-16-21, 08:02 AM
cb400bill
Forum Moderator

Bikes: Fuji SL2.1 Carbon Di2 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 4 Trek Checkpoint ALR-5 Viscount Aerospace Pro Colnago Classic Rabobank Schwinn Waterford PMount Raleigh C50 Cromoly Hybrid Legnano Tipo Roma Pista

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 3089 Post(s)
Liked 6,588 Times in 3,778 Posts
In my area, I concur with $250.

Old 03-16-21, 08:31 AM
Mr. 66

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 1140 Post(s)
Liked 1,736 Times in 957 Posts
I think someone selling from home should be able to get $250, I think a shop selling would be able to get $425 with a maintenance warranty.

I have a local used only bike shop that tries to buy some of my sales. I've never sold to them because they want me to deliver, but I have gone there to see what they're comparables sell for.

Your market may be a little steeper than mine, but it should be pretty close.
Old 03-16-21, 11:01 AM
francophile 
PM me your cotters

Mentioned: 80 Post(s)
Quoted: 1137 Post(s)
Liked 590 Times in 422 Posts
Here in Atlanta with pandmic bike inflation still being a thing due to nobody wanting to touch a rental (thank goodness), I'd list this at $350 as "near-new condition, fully serviced with new everything including quality tires" and expect to walk out between $280-320 depending how hard the buyer haggles, I'd try my best not to take less than $300, it's just that pristine of an example. Granted, I always knock off a Jefferson from my ask price for anyone who arrives less than 5-10 minutes of our agreed time and don't provide a hassle or overly-aggressive haggle so I'm down to $330 already

It's a really beautiful bike, the only possible tweak I'd make is a non-swaged crank, but then you lose the OEM appeal. This was one of my favorite color two-tone schemes for the 80s models. I have a Jubile Sport with the same color coordination and Columbus tubing, also a very capable ride. Oh - and that Vitus tubing is solid also. If this was a 1020 or 2040 bike, I wouldn't have such a high value opinion.

Old 03-16-21, 04:00 PM
zukahn1 

Bikes: Current 79 Nishiki Custum Sport, Jeunet 620, notable previous bikes P.K. Ripper loop tail, Kawahara Laser Lite, Paramount Track full chrome, Raliegh Internatioanl, Motobecan Super Mirage. 59 Crown royak 3 speed

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 790 Post(s)
Liked 1,760 Times in 634 Posts
I would say $300-400 the nicely rebuilt wheels with good alloy rims and new quality tires up the price on this one. As presented I would ask $400 and take $300 even at this price it should sell pretty easy. Parted a good seller could get $400 + without the frame.
Old 03-17-21, 10:06 AM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Quoted: 26400 Post(s)
Liked 10,373 Times in 7,202 Posts
...I think a lot of these valuations, so far, are low for Newport Beach, CA. In Sacramento, that's easily a $400 bicycle on the local CL.
Likes For 3alarmer:
Old 03-17-21, 12:57 PM
jeirvine 

Bikes: '72 Motobecane Grand Record, '72 Gitane tandem, '72 Raleigh Super Course, '73 Raleigh Gran Sport, '73 Colnago Super, '76 Fiorelli Coppi, '78 Raleigh SBDU Team Pro, '78 Trek 930, '81 Holdsworth Special 650B, '86 Masi GC, ’94 Bridgestone RB-T

Mentioned: 67 Post(s)
Quoted: 786 Post(s)
Liked 517 Times in 280 Posts
A very nice riding bike too.
Old 03-17-21, 01:25 PM
francophile 
PM me your cotters

Originally Posted by 3alarmer
...I think a lot of these valuations, so far, are low for Newport Beach, CA. In Sacramento, that's easily a $400 bicycle on the local CL.
I definitely believe it, I also think it could potentially hit those numbers here in ATL also, with time. There's a flipper in Lithonia GA just east of me, I chat w/him periodically and even bought a bike from him once, his attention to detail is awesome. That comes at a premium, though. He'd list this bike for $450-500 in the ATL CL and would probably get it within a month or two. He typically doesn't budge on price, and honestly, his work is worth every damn penny asked. He does an amazing, thorough job. However, it won't be a quick sale finding a buyer at that cost. That guy rolls things onto eBay for a wider market if things don't sell at his ask price within 3-4 months. Never seen him fail to net a sale.

While I definitely lean more toward your higher number, I might fish high the first couple of days to see what bites, but I'll drop it on day 4 if no bites, I want anything I've listed gone within 1-14 days. Around here that means aggressive pricing, but ATL is probably a weird market. Anything priced over $400 has been sitting languishing, and everything under $200 is selling same day. I haven't been able to get a firm lock on what's going on. Happy warmer temps are here though, I've got two projects I'm wrapping up and can't wait to get listed...

It's a weird world. But that's also a really, really nice bike.

Old 03-17-21, 09:31 PM
lorica 

Bikes: 2011 Specialized Dolce Comp, 1990 Cannondale Black Lightning and several other vintage

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 14 Posts
Thank you everyone for the info and market price advice. The bike market is still hot in Orange County so I'm inclined to suggest they ask at least $400. I have never seen a vintage Motobecane with handlebar wrap in such new condition. It's truly a luxurious, almost velvety feel. The bike is too big for me to ride but my first lightweight bike (a late 70s Nishiki International) had the same derailleurs and shifted beautifully (with Barcons).

Last edited by lorica; 03-17-21 at 09:38 PM.
Old 03-19-21, 11:52 AM
francophile 
PM me your cotters

Originally Posted by lorica
Thank you everyone for the info and market price advice. The bike market is still hot in Orange County so I'm inclined to suggest they ask at least $400. I have never seen a vintage Motobecane with handlebar wrap in such new condition. It's truly a luxurious, almost velvety feel. The bike is too big for me to ride but my first lightweight bike (a late 70s Nishiki International) had the same derailleurs and shifted beautifully (with Barcons).
You said it then - if you're not in a rush, put it at $500 as "near-new, fully restored"

If it doesn't sell within 2 weeks, drop it $50. Rinse/repeat.

Please, if you don't mind, pop back in here and let us know (honestly) what you get. It'll be a good resource for anyone in a similar situation in the future.