Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Broken collar bone, what now?

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Broken collar bone, what now?

Old 03-27-21, 12:23 AM
cjenrick

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked 133 Times in 100 Posts
worst thing for me was the beer/Vicodin addiction that lasted six months due to a friendly receptionist at the doctors office.

getting off that stuff was a biotch!

you do not need your collar bone. it is a hold-over from the cave man days.

so i had the Mumford procedure where they remove 3/4" of collar bone so you do not get arthritus 10 years down the line. keeps the bone ends from rubbing against each other. first operation was the strap down thing, that pulled loose after lifting a guitar amp without giving it enuff time. but this was 3rd degree separation, not a break.

you can still ride, just wear a sling like Pascal Simon.

still can't throw a softball worth a crap, other than that, no pain.

if you have an operation, tell them to break the scar tissue. because what is going to happen is the fact that you are immobile in that arm , well, all i can say is they saved me about 6 months of PT, when i was knocked out they lifted my arm up, they could hear this pop-pop-pop, 6 times, when the scar tissue was being broken. breaking scar tissue with PT, i was told, would have been extremely painful.

go to Stanford hospital in the bay area, they gots the best bone doctors in the world

Last edited by cjenrick; 03-27-21 at 12:29 AM.
Likes For cjenrick:
Old 03-28-21, 09:54 AM
Fawkwas

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I wish you good luck and get well soon! https://google.com/

Last edited by Fawkwas; 11-16-23 at 10:00 AM.
Likes For Fawkwas:
Old 03-28-21, 10:58 AM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
Originally Posted by Deepcherry
Hello all.
I took a little tumble yesterday on a wild trek and immediately knew my left collar bone was broken.
This is actually my first ever bone break, well into my forties, so it was about time and I was half expecting it somehow! It is a simple closed fracture, I fell on my shoulder and helmeted head. Happily no other damage apart from hurt pride and gravel rash.
I now find myself in the happy situation of not being able to do very much at all, vexing indeed as I rely on being active for daily duties.
What concerns me most (after the additional family workload this entails) is my recuperation without losing too much strength in the left arm muscles.

Can anyone offer any experience of how this will progress, advice or tips?
I have a check up in three weeks.

Kind regards, and always use a helmet!!
In the mean time consider riding a trike. A trike would probably not bother your shoulder at all.

Last edited by rydabent; 03-29-21 at 09:38 AM.
Likes For rydabent:
Old 03-28-21, 02:17 PM
jack pot 
Fxxxxr

Bikes: wabi classic (stolen & recovered)

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 2670 Post(s)
Liked 1,149 Times in 871 Posts
Hello all.
I took a little tumble yesterday on a wild trek and immediately knew my left collar bone was broken.
This is actually my first ever bone break, well into my forties, so it was about time and I was half expecting it somehow! It is a simple closed fracture, I fell on my shoulder and helmeted head. Happily no other damage apart from hurt pride and gravel rash.
I now find myself in the happy situation of not being able to do very much at all, vexing indeed as I rely on being active for daily duties.
What concerns me most (after the additional family workload this entails) is my recuperation without losing too much strength in the left arm muscles.

.....I got swiped on Dec 28. Broke left arm right beneath shoulder cup. Injured left ankle. Im still in therapy. Your recovery will create physical doubts and more pain than you want but if you wanna get back on 2 wheels you gotta force the issue. Started riding my SS last week. I ride for 10-15 minutes just to get the situational awareness vibes working. You'll be OK but you need to put any trepidations aside and view your incident as a one off................... Once not too far ago I hit a deer at speed on my SV1000 and spent 3 weeks in the hospital. I bought another SV before I was discharged. I also had A DRZ/SM., the hootenest shredder out there excluding the BMW HP2 Megamoto. Best wishes
Old 04-01-21, 05:36 AM
Deepcherry
Off grid off road

Bikes: Corratec Xvert, Peugeot Origin 30, GT Outpost, Kona Cinder Cone ‘93 Specialized StumpJumper, Ritchey mtb

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 123 Times in 72 Posts
Now two weeks after my spill, I am happy to report that there is an big improvement in my shoulder.
Plenty of rest and a good diet, along with some regular light activity, apparently without complications. I am surprised that I sleep so well in a slightly raised position on my back.
There is still a long way to go to complete recovery but at least I am able to help out a little around the house!

Thanks again for your positive input, cheers!
Old 04-01-21, 06:56 PM
SkinGriz
Live not by lies.

Bikes: BigBox bikes.

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 860 Post(s)
Liked 784 Times in 582 Posts
Now two weeks after my spill, I am happy to report that there is an big improvement in my shoulder.
Plenty of rest and a good diet, along with some regular light activity, apparently without complications. I am surprised that I sleep so well in a slightly raised position on my back.
There is still a long way to go to complete recovery but at least I am able to help out a little around the house!

Thanks again for your positive input, cheers!
Thats great!
Likes For SkinGriz:
Old 04-02-21, 11:47 AM
Craptacular8

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 184 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 31 Posts
Broken Clavical

Hello all.

Brok

I've broken the same one a couple of times. First time, figure-8 harness, slept on my back, the pain kept me from being too silly. 6-weeks to heal, and I was back to doing all of my usual activities when the harness came off. 2nd time, started off the same, but at the 3 week checkup, the break had moved, and was knitting together poorly. I had a "surgery"" or sorts then. Under general anesthesia, it was broken for a 3rd time, and this time I had a plaster figure-8 cast on. After that, similar 6 week recovery and I returned to swimming, etc right afterwards.

I was young when these all occurred, so loss of muscle was not a worry. I've had friends break on a bike a couple years ago, they had no harness, maybe an arm sling for the first couple weeks, but no other restrictions, other than what the pain enforced. Recovery was a little slower, like 12 weeks, but again, no restrictions, and there was no PT to prevent muscle loss, etc. Perhaps if my friend had been an amateur athlete that was more demanding, something of the sort would have been prescribed. I'd probably stay off the bike until cleared, and I can't imagine doing anything with my arm on the broken side during recovery, the pain just wouldn't allow it in my mind, but walking or elliptical certainly would be options to maintain some fitness during recovery.
Likes For Craptacular8:
Old 04-04-21, 03:26 PM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1511 Post(s)
Liked 733 Times in 454 Posts
It's good to hear you're on the mend. Broken collarbone is a pretty common injury for cyclists - well, upright cyclists anyway! So you're not alone. Lots of people here have been in your shoes and have fully recovered; so hang in there and you'll be a member of the group.
Likes For BlazingPedals: