Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

Helmet with MIPS, magnetic clasp, visor and inexpensive

Search
Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-17, 09:00 PM
HerrKaLeun

Bikes: Giant Toughroad SLR1 and Motobecane Sturgis NX

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 900 Post(s)
Liked 231 Times in 168 Posts

I'm looking for an adult helmet that has:
- magnetic clasp
- MIPS
- visor
- inexpensive ($50-$100 max)
- doesn't look weird
- has good cooling
- color to be white or light gray (visible, but not dorky). I can compromise on that.

I found the nutcase Black tie that meets all the above except it lacks cooling and looks dorky.

I also found the Giro Revel MIPS, which meets all criteria except it doesn't have the magnetic clasp.

I currently have a cheap $15 Schwinn helmet that has a magnetic clasp and this is ingenious!

And yes I read the other threads about discussions on MIPS, and if one should wear a helmet at all.... please not such discussions!

Last edited by HerrKaLeun; 06-18-17 at 09:09 PM.
Old 06-19-17, 02:57 PM
Korina
Happy banana slug

Location: Arcata, California, U.S., North America, Earth, Saggitarius Arm, Milky Way

Bikes: 1984 Araya MB 261, 1992 Specialized Rockhopper Sport, 1993 Hard Rock Ultra, 1994 Trek Multitrack 750, 1995 Trek Singletrack 930

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1533 Post(s)
Liked 1,528 Times in 916 Posts
The nice thing about helmets is you don't have to look at them when you're wearing them, so don't stress on "dorky". I'm not fond of the racer-style helmets, but I've learned to live with it. :-)
Old 06-19-17, 03:30 PM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1364 Post(s)
Liked 1,677 Times in 827 Posts
I hadn't heard of a magnetic clasp before. So I googled it and saw a video of one on Youtube. What is the advantage of it? I can imagine it provides a "breakaway" feature to prevent a crushed windpipe in certain situations, but then it also makes it possible for the helmet to fall off in other situations. But I don't know, not having tried one. Can someone enlighten me.
Old 06-19-17, 05:03 PM
ItsJustMe
Señior Member

Bikes: Windsor Fens, Giant Seek 0 (2014, Alfine 8 + discs)

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 446 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
I think it's funny that someone thinks that it's the helmet that makes a cyclist look dorky. Face it, we look dorky no matter what. Embrace it.
Old 06-19-17, 08:48 PM
HerrKaLeun

Originally Posted by BobbyG
I hadn't heard of a magnetic clasp before. So I googled it and saw a video of one on Youtube. What is the advantage of it? I can imagine it provides a "breakaway" feature to prevent a crushed windpipe in certain situations, but then it also makes it possible for the helmet to fall off in other situations. But I don't know, not having tried one. Can someone enlighten me.
It doesn't come off by accident, but very easily when you pull them apart as intended. closing is just putting them together and they slide in lock. they probably are safer since you can get the straps very tight (which you don't do with a normal one since you don't want to pinch yourself).
Wish my 5 year old daughter had them, but never saw a kid helmet with them (her main fear of biking is getting pinched and her strap is a bit lose because of that).

Once you use it, please explain the justification of existence of regular clasps
Old 06-20-17, 09:47 AM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1364 Post(s)
Liked 1,677 Times in 827 Posts
Originally Posted by HerrKaLeun
It doesn't come off by accident, but very easily when you pull them apart as intended. closing is just putting them together and they slide in lock. they probably are safer since you can get the straps very tight (which you don't do with a normal one since you don't want to pinch yourself).
Wish my 5 year old daughter had them, but never saw a kid helmet with them (her main fear of biking is getting pinched and her strap is a bit lose because of that).

Once you use it, please explain the justification of existence of regular clasps
Thanks!
Old 06-20-17, 07:59 PM
HerrKaLeun

Originally Posted by Korina
The nice thing about helmets is you don't have to look at them when you're wearing them, so don't stress on "dorky". I'm not fond of the racer-style helmets, but I've learned to live with it. :-)
Originally Posted by ItsJustMe
I think it's funny that someone thinks that it's the helmet that makes a cyclist look dorky. Face it, we look dorky no matter what. Embrace it.
Originally Posted by AlexanderLS
Have to agree, most helmets look dorky.
You could wear a motorcycle or downhill full head helmet.
Those helmets tend to look pretty cool.
If you want something light, they will not work.

If you don't want to look dorky, don't wear a helmet/lycra.
I don't care what others think, but care of what I would think if I saw myself. I'm a form-follows-function guy and ride with hi-vis shirt, DRL, fenders, etc. because the look of those is based on the function.
Most bike helmets are aerodynamic, vented and visible and made to protect - the shape we mostly see is based on meeting those requirements. the above linked "nutcase" helmet is not aerodynamic, not vented well and black - basically the opposite of what i want. it looks different for the sake of it, not for some engineering advantage. kind of like those Mohawk kid helmets sole at Wallyworld. That is dorky, which is what I don't' want.
Old 06-21-17, 09:37 AM
kevindsingleton 
Don't make me sing!

Bikes: 2013 Specialized Crosstrail Elite, 1986 Centurion Elite RS, Diamondback hardtail MTB, '70s Fuji Special Road Racer, 2012 Raleigh Revenio 2.0, 1992 Trek 1000

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 308 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Here's the clasp, so you can choose any helmet that otherwise meets your list of requirements:

https://smile.amazon.com/Lazer-Magic...s%2A=0&ie=UTF8
Old 06-21-17, 08:30 PM
HerrKaLeun

Originally Posted by kevindsingleton
Here's the clasp, so you can choose any helmet that otherwise meets your list of requirements:

https://smile.amazon.com/Lazer-Magic...s%2A=0&ie=UTF8
Thanks, I had found that as well. Problem is the price. I got a good magnetic clasp on my $15 Walmart helmet (which for some reason I couldn't see in the store anymore). so I'm hoping to not have to buy an overpriced clasp in addition to a relatively expensive helmet.
Old 06-21-17, 11:33 PM
blue192

Bikes: Norco Scene 1, Khs Westwood, Jamis Allegro 3x

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 142 Post(s)
Liked 74 Times in 47 Posts
Only helmet that I know of with a magnetic clasp are those nutcase helmets. I love not pinching my skin but they are not comfy for summer riding.
Old 06-22-17, 05:41 AM
kevindsingleton 
Don't make me sing!

Bikes: 2013 Specialized Crosstrail Elite, 1986 Centurion Elite RS, Diamondback hardtail MTB, '70s Fuji Special Road Racer, 2012 Raleigh Revenio 2.0, 1992 Trek 1000

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 308 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks, I had found that as well. Problem is the price. I got a good magnetic clasp on my $15 Walmart helmet (which for some reason I couldn't see in the store anymore). so I'm hoping to not have to buy an overpriced clasp in addition to a relatively expensive helmet.
Yeah, that's way too expensive for what it is. May be cheaper on ebay.
Old 06-22-17, 05:50 AM
jon c. 

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1591 Post(s)
Liked 1,018 Times in 571 Posts
I'm old enough not to care about looking dorky, but I would not buy a helmet with inferior ventilation.
Old 06-27-17, 09:28 PM
HerrKaLeun

I bought the Lazer Oasiz MIPS in white at amazon for $80. It meets all my above criteria and was within my budget.

It also leaves the impression to fit much better on my head and the rear of my head is better protected (first time I bought an "expensive" helmet)

It also has the optional gopro mount on top. I'm trying to find out if I can use that to mount a light. I have good front and tail light (DRL) on my bike. but having them on the helmet is better since they I can take them with me easier without having to take addl. things of my bike when I lock it somewhere in public.

Last edited by HerrKaLeun; 06-27-17 at 09:55 PM.
Old 06-27-17, 09:34 PM
gsa103

Bikes: Bianchi Infinito (Celeste, of course)

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 754 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 77 Posts
Why not just take the clasp off the Walmart one?
Old 06-27-17, 09:54 PM
HerrKaLeun

Originally Posted by gsa103
Why not just take the clasp off the Walmart one?
I can't find it anymore at WM or on Schwinn website (bought last year) and the one I have I want to re-use (for my wife who doesn't' ride much or visitors). Also wanted to have the visor to attach my mirror (works much better on visor than on my sunglasses!). and since i ride a lot (or want to), getting a safer helmet sounded good.

And looking at my new helmet, the one non-adjustable side of the clasp also is on a strap that doesn't' look like I can remove it. At least doesn't look like to be easy to re-assemble nor safe.

I tried to get that magnetic clasp on my daughter's helmet. One time I pinched her when locking the clasp and since then she has mama do that. But the non-adjustable part of her helmet is sewn, so can't take it apart. Trust me, I tried. BTW, I ordered her this Lazer NUT'Z MIPS. that is supposed to have the magnetic clasp (Lazer calls it magic buckle)