Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Introductions
Reload this Page >

Learning to Ride Again -- Riding After Recovery

Notices
Introductions Welcome to the BikeForums community! Please introduce yourself to other forum members here.

Old 06-12-20, 12:16 PM
retiredguru

Bikes: '87 Miyata 112, '84 Nashbar Road LP, '89 Specialized Hard Rock

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 5 Posts

Hey there. I'm a 63 year old that has been a cycling enthusiast since my early youth, a serious one most of my life. A few years back I shattered my right heel and damaged the cartilage at the bottom of the ankle. A three and a half hour surgery, a stainless steel plate, ten screws, and some poor cadaver's bone put the heel back together again. Last summer I found my second wind, if you will, seeing for the first time since the accident that I could walk more than a short distance with only moderate pain, be on my feet for more than a hour or two.

At the time of my last medical visit, a podiatrist told me don't even dare to run, that I would never be able to, or shouldn't, ride with any foot restraints (toe clips & straps, clipless pedal cleats), and forget about any meaningful distances on a bike. I gave up after that, struggled with the loss of an important part of my life.

A few weeks ago I decided to take a short ride of a few miles on a hybrid bike of mine, using toe clips and straps loosely set, to see if I could manage to pedal without pain. I was surprised to find the limited vertical mobility of the right ankle was ample enough to ankle properly, and there wasn't an ounce of pain as long as I stayed seated. The only negative so far is my inability to use clipless pedals and cleats. No matter how loose the tension setting on the SPDs that my oldest daughter bought for me, my right foot can't escape the pedal predictably and without intense pain in the ankle. I also found I had to use my whole leg, making exiting off balancing. This hasn't been an impediment, really, as I am old enough to have been most active in cycling when toe clips and straps on road pedals of the time were the ultimate foot containment setup in the racing world. Over the past couple of weeks I've improved enough to see that my heel and ankle will not bother me as long I am mindful of my limitations. I haven't attempted to honk up a grade as yet, but I am confident I will get there before the season is over.

My bikes are vintage. I like it that way. They represent the best memories of my past. They accentuate the most important acquisition: I can ride again. I'm alive again, because of this. The mechanics is second to the thrill of being one with the wind, once again at the mercy of the fickle bike gods. I know they are laughing at me as I ride. I don't mind.
Likes For retiredguru:
Old 06-12-20, 04:00 PM
bobwysiwyg

Bikes: Mongoose Selous, Trek DS

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 941 Post(s)
Liked 319 Times in 189 Posts
Welcome and congratulations on finding your second wind (chance ). Best of luck!
Old 06-12-20, 06:28 PM
retiredguru

Originally Posted by bobwysiwyg
Welcome and congratulations on finding your second wind (chance ). Best of luck!
Thanks, Bob. Welcome, congrats, and well-wishes much appreciated.
Old 06-13-20, 04:14 AM
AMorrison

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Hi everyone. I haven't ridden a bike for a long time and still gained a lot of extra pounds like everyone else in this quarantine so I'm trying to get back in shape, I hope this forum will motivate me even more.
Likes For AMorrison:
Old 06-13-20, 08:40 AM
Rage
Space Ghost

Bikes: Bridgestone, Fuji, Iro, Jamis, Gary Fisher, GT, Scott, Specialized and more

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 292 Post(s)
Liked 412 Times in 318 Posts
Welcome back!
Likes For Rage:
Old 06-15-20, 04:27 PM
KintaL

Bikes: '04 Litespeed Capella, Schwinn World, '92 Schwinn Paramount PDG series 2, '89 Schwinn Circuit

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Man, I'm really glad that you are able to ride again. I feel like a kid every time I hit those pedals. I think the bike gods are pleased. What kind of bikes do you have?
Likes For KintaL:
Old 06-16-20, 06:20 AM
retiredguru

Originally Posted by KintaL
Man, I'm really glad that you are able to ride again. I feel like a kid every time I hit those pedals. I think the bike gods are pleased. What kind of bikes do you have?

Thanks, KintaL. Appreciated.

Initially, I also feel like a kid again. Not long into the ride, though, I feel the full force of age and condition. A reoccurring back problem reared its ugly head the other day, so I'm armchair quarterbacking a bike build for the time being. No rides until this back lets me, either.

Two of my four bikes I've had since the 80s: mid-80s Nashbar Road LP, late-80s Specialized Hard Rock.

The Nashbar is being stripped down to the frame for powder coating later this year. The frame has some rust around brazed-ons and other areas where chipped paint has allowed water to do its thing. A face lift was long overdue. I will be cannibalizing its components for another build described in this post. Over the winter I hope to be building up the Nashbar with some new components.

The Hard Rock has seen some mods recently, like randonneur drops in place of the off-road bars. I'm temporarily using Universal road brake levers (taken off a 1974 Atala Record Professional, my first 'expensive' road bike, bought in my senior year of high school for a whopping $500) until I find an old set of non-aero Weinmann's or Dia-Compe's to replace them--the gum rubber hoods are barely intact. Zefal 'parachutes' (plastic fenders) over 26x1.5 Bell Comfort Cruisers give a decent ride over some rough paved roads and guarantee a workout at only 65 psi. With the weight distribution pushed to the front with the drops, I swapped out the wide saddle for the only narrow one I had laying around and still in good condition: Avocet Touring I. I plan on replacing the Avocet with a modern center-relief saddle later on.

I bought a Kent (Walmart) Fixie a couple of years ago as a cheap urban utility and city cruiser. If it gets stolen I'm not out a lot of money or sentiment.

Back in the early 90s I traded an old Mac for some bike components, with the intent of building up a touring bike. I acquired a brand new Miyata One Twelve frameset in the deal. Miyata was noted back then for producing inexpensive bikes with high quality framesets. The frame is (Ishiwata?) made of triple butted chrome molybdenum, the front fork from Manga Light straight gauge manganese steel. I should have it completed no later than the end of this month. I'll post pics of it when its done.
Old 06-20-20, 02:30 AM
lucky92

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Good luck in your second chance
Likes For lucky92: