Notices
Training & Nutrition Learn how to develop a training schedule that's good for you. What should you eat and drink on your ride? Learn everything you need to know about training and nutrition here.

Gels in Bulk

Old 03-11-21, 04:36 PM
CanadianBiker32

Bikes: Maxim, Rocky Mountain, Argon 18, Cervelo S2 Team

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Gels in Bulk

I would rather use my own flask and put gels in it. What brand of Gels can i buy in one bulk package and pour it into my own container. Instead of buying individual packs in a box or on own? thanks
Old 03-11-21, 05:11 PM
rubiksoval

Bikes: bikes

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 2622 Post(s)
Liked 1,429 Times in 711 Posts
https://www.amazon.com/GU-Energy-Ori...WZVAQQHDA7SYDF
Old 03-11-21, 05:21 PM
GrainBrain

Bikes: LeMond Zurich, Giant Talon 29er

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1221 Post(s)
Liked 626 Times in 470 Posts
Hammer nutrition is another
https://www.hammernutrition.com/hammer-gel
Likes For GrainBrain:
Old 03-11-21, 06:45 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6163 Post(s)
Liked 4,782 Times in 3,300 Posts
Ditto on the Hammer. You even get a free flask with each bottle you buy.
Old 03-12-21, 09:30 PM
zen_

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked 88 Times in 55 Posts
https://www.amazon.com/Gunters-Pure-...5606150&sr=8-8

Also comes with two free flask.
Old 03-12-21, 10:16 PM
jaxgtr

Bikes: Trek Domane SLR 7 AXS, Trek CheckPoint SL7 AXS, Trek Emonda ALR AXS, Trek FX 5 Sport

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 760 Post(s)
Liked 1,714 Times in 1,002 Posts
Originally Posted by GrainBrain
Hammer nutrition is another
https://www.hammernutrition.com/hammer-gel

This....Hammer is good stuff

Old 03-12-21, 10:27 PM
base2 
I am potato.

Bikes: Only precision built, custom high performance elitist machines of the highest caliber. 🍆

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 1782 Post(s)
Liked 1,620 Times in 926 Posts
You can buy honey by the pound. Nature made glucose & fructose ready for mainlining right into your cycling self with no digestion or wait time necessary.

Sportlegs, potassuim (NuSalt), & NoDoz will get you all the other salts & caffeine you could ever hope a pre-made sports gel or sports drink would have.

But if you want a factory packet for your jersey pocket, Hammer products work well enough.

Car dependency is a tax.
Likes For base2:
Old 03-13-21, 06:43 AM
scottfsmith
I like bike

Bikes: Roubaix Comp 2020

Quoted: 267 Post(s)
Liked 283 Times in 191 Posts
Originally Posted by base2
You can buy honey by the pound. Nature made glucose & fructose ready for mainlining right into your cycling self with no digestion or wait time necessary.
The commercial products contain primarily maltodextrin which will digest better and bonk less than fructose/glucose. So if you are going to make your own you should do it right.
Old 03-13-21, 11:57 AM
CAT7RDR

Bikes: 1999 Schwinn Peloton Ultegra 10, Kestrel RT-1000 Ultegra, Trek Marlin 6 Deore 29'er

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 821 Post(s)
Liked 1,955 Times in 941 Posts
I have switched to organic maple syrup and will not go back to gels. Yuck!!! Get the good stuff, easy to digest and the taste is smooooth.

Last edited by CAT7RDR; 03-13-21 at 12:23 PM.
Old 03-13-21, 01:49 PM
base2 
I am potato.

Bikes: Only precision built, custom high performance elitist machines of the highest caliber. 🍆

Originally Posted by scottfsmith
The commercial products contain primarily maltodextrin which will digest better and bonk less than fructose/glucose. So if you are going to make your own you should do it right.
Though I have no bias against maltodextrin, & I am aware it absorbs nearly as quickly as glucose alone, the long maltodextrin molecule must still must be cut into to simple glucose before it can be absorbed into the body. While we are waiting for the maltase digestive enzyme to cut the maltose down to the glucose sugar molecule honey is already made of, so it can be absorbed, fructose (the other sugar in honey) is already being transported by GLUT5 transporter that does not need a sodium ion to function.

Honey (glucose/fructose) utilizes 2 different transport methods that work by different means & does not first require enzymatic action to make it available to the body.

You get more carbs per hour & less digestive lag time with honey.IIRC Honey nets about 90 grams of carbs per hour absorption vs about 60 grams of carbs per hour for other sugar sources.

Absorption of Monosaccharides
Old 03-13-21, 02:22 PM
scottfsmith
I like bike

Originally Posted by base2
...the long maltodextrin molecule must still must be cut into to simple glucose before it can be absorbed into the body.
"Its not a bug, its a feature" - you want to slow down the absorption rate or you will bonk on the downside. Also it requires less % water to digest and has less digestion problems compared to fructose. There is a scientific reason why commercial energy gels include maltodextrin. See the science if you want to know more.
Old 03-13-21, 03:01 PM
base2 
I am potato.

"Its not a bug, its a feature" - you want to slow down the absorption rate or you will bonk on the downside. Also it requires less % water to digest and has less digestion problems compared to fructose. There is a scientific reason why commercial energy gels include maltodextrin. See the science if you want to know more.
I prefer to get my "science" from dot edu websites.

Maltodextrin is inexpensive. That's why it is used. The reasons it is inexpensive would take us well into P&R but the long & short of it is we have an abundance of corn, corn fields, corn lobbiest, hungry farmers, a lot of government subsidies, & a market where the end user price is artificially held low to get calories to the starving masses as a matter of national food policy. It's one of former President Nixon's lasting achievements. The situation is so pervasive, that as a matter of law, we even put corn derived calories (energy) in our automobiles. E10, E15, all the way up to E85.

I further don't think you understand the term: "Bonk."

Again, I have no bias against maltodextrin. I only dispute the claim it is "better" for this application. It is not.

I'd rather take my 90 grams of carbs (360 calories) per hour & sweat out the water & electrolytes, than a maximum absorption rate 240 calories per hour, but you do you. Running out of calories 30% sooner ain't what I'm into.

Car dependency is a tax.
Old 03-13-21, 08:54 PM
scottfsmith
I like bike

No, maltodextrin is used because of the science. For example, Here is one peer-reviewed study written by "dot edu" people. They found that there is a sweet spot in terms of how much maltodextrin relative to other sugars is optimal for athletic performance, both too much and too little maltodextrin decreases performance and a .8 maltodextrin-to-other-sugars ratio is optimal. The logic behind this result is discussed in the article; the long and short is the human digestive system is much more complex than just energy in -> energy out.
Old 03-13-21, 09:58 PM
zen_

Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked 88 Times in 55 Posts
The glycemic index of maltodextrin is higher than any other carb (110), but that's good because you want the maximum absorption rate of carbs (which is ~ 2:1 maltrodextrin to fructose) for long, hard efforts like a race.

Kinda of a moot point here though, as anyone who really needs ~90 carbs / hour to race probably already knows that. For everyone else, a sensible mix of carbs that doesn't cause GI distress is the way to go, and honey is perfectly fine as part of that if you want to use it instead of overpriced plastic packets of maltodextrin.
Old 03-14-21, 09:50 AM
scottfsmith
I like bike

Yes if honey works for you that's great. I need to limit my water to just above dehydration and maltodextrin is the ticket for that. In general maltodextrin is more forgiving if you don't have a consistently high water feed.

I'm interested in this thread because I am currently spending far too much money on these stupid gel paks. Planning to try a home-brew version with maltodextrin plus agave.