Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Bike mirror and wall mount

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-21, 10:09 AM
Nathan_S

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi folks,

Recently picked up a Trek Doman SL6, upgraded from an old aluminum Trek hybrid. I had a handelbar mirror on the old bike, but don't want to put it on the new one for fear of breaking it and also don't love the look. Can you recommend any alternatives that work well? Helmet mirror? Any links to a specific product that works well is appreciated.

Second question--we are moving internationally shortly to an apartment. I am thinking about the best storage option for the bike and had seen wall mounts that mount horizontally.

This one came up a lot in my research and I also found this one. Wondering if anyone has any recommendations.

Thanks!

Nathan
Old 04-09-21, 10:35 AM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1743 Post(s)
Liked 1,281 Times in 740 Posts
https://bikecommuterhero.com/bicycle...op-handlebars/

I use the Italian Road Bike mirror on my road bikes and the Sprintech on my cyclo-cross bike. The Sprintech has a slightly larger mirror and is very adjustable. The IRBM uses glass and is very clear. It is also almost invisible to a casual observer of the bike. I can recommend either but the IRBM is my favorite.
Old 04-09-21, 02:54 PM
Litespud

Bikes: 2000 Litespeed Vortex Chorus 10, 1995 DeBernardi Cromor S/S

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 645 Post(s)
Liked 797 Times in 446 Posts
Originally Posted by Nathan_S
Hi folks,

Recently picked up a Trek Doman SL6, upgraded from an old aluminum Trek hybrid. I had a handelbar mirror on the old bike, but don't want to put it on the new one for fear of breaking it and also don't love the look. Can you recommend any alternatives that work well? Helmet mirror? Any links to a specific product that works well is appreciated.

Second question--we are moving internationally shortly to an apartment. I am thinking about the best storage option for the bike and had seen wall mounts that mount horizontally.

This one came up a lot in my research and I also found this one. Wondering if anyone has any recommendations.

Thanks!

Nathan
I tried helmet-mounted mirrors, but could never "get my eye in", so I went with a Sprint-Tech (sp?) left-hand bar-end mirror. This has been great - inexpensive, adjustable and efficient. I considered the Italian mirror that Bruce19 recommended, but that's non-adjustable, and you have to ensure that your bar-end is sufficiently horizontal for the mirror to be properly angled. The upside of the Italian mirror is that the lens is real glass, so theoretically more scratch-resistant than the Sprint-Tech, which is plastic, but in 3-4 years of use, I haven't scratched the Sprint-Tech noticeably. The Italian mirror is also a more "seamless" installation - looks like it's almost part of the bar. Whichever model you choose, it's a great addition to safe road cycling IMO - I've done the odd test run with "bare bars" to ensure that my shifters were properly placed before I taped the bars up, and I really missed the mirror.
There are a bazillion options for mounting a bike on a wall - it depends really on how many holes you want to drill and the holding capacity of the wall itself - the ones you linked to will require a stud or a masonry wall. I've used a super-cheap flip-down bracket from Lowes, which cost ~$15, but it's pretty ugly and uliitarian for inside the house, and also the floor-to-ceiling and leaning ones that don't require any drilling and can handle multiple bikes - great if you're renting and don't want to drill holes. There are also the ones that use a pedal bracket and a couple of small ledges to hang the bike directly onto the wall, albeit with a slight outward lean. They all work fine.

Last edited by Litespud; 04-09-21 at 02:58 PM.
Old 04-09-21, 03:12 PM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3587 Post(s)
Liked 3,398 Times in 1,932 Posts
I use a glasses-mounted "Take-a-Look" mirror. It's small and light, and turning my head just a little allows me to scan everything behind me; no blind spot, and doesn't aggravate the arthritis in my neck.
Likes For JohnDThompson:
Old 04-09-21, 04:18 PM
debade

Bikes: Trek Domane, Trek 2120, Trek 520, Schwinn Voyager step through

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked 109 Times in 79 Posts
I look cool on my Domane with my HubBub helmet mounted mirror. Nice little company that makes a great mirror.