Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

How was the commute today? Continued.

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

How was the commute today? Continued.

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-09, 09:57 AM
heywood

Bikes: 2013 Brodie Section 8 , 2014 Easy Motion Neo City e-bike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Dragged my sorry ass home after a nightshift into a 20km headwind at 2C...fortunately I had some cold weather gear so it wasn't too bad.. Slow up the bike-path to home but really glad I did it..i'm down another 1lb!!

Ready for the ride in tonight with warmer gear.
Old 10-15-09, 10:31 AM
beingtxstate
Disgruntled grad student

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Caught a ride today :S

Had to be in early for a meeting. It would have been nice to: 42F, light north breeze, cloudy. Perfect riding weather.

Maybe I'll take a stroll, or at least a jog when I get home...
Old 10-15-09, 10:33 AM
beingtxstate
Disgruntled grad student

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ah, no worries mate. I found my avatar the same way a year or so ago...it just goes to show, we have good taste!!

Originally Posted by EKW in DC
First, let me say, back at ya! Second, let me say, d'oh... did I steal yours? Avatar faux pas? I just changed a few weeks ago, but I just got the avatar through Google Images... didn't mean to step on your (avatar's) toes.

Reminds me of a couple weeks ago. A fellow commuter comes up from behind and as he's riding, says "Nice backpack." At first I was thinking, why the sarcasm, dude? I know this is an old, beat up LL Bean beackpack I've had for almost twenty years, but it works. Then as he goes around me, I see he's got the same pack in the same color...
Old 10-15-09, 10:45 AM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
63F and 90%RH (I'm guessing) this morning. Lots of mist, wet streets, and of course I never got around to installing fenders on the FG commuter so I had the Freshman Stripe when I arrived at the office.

Cut myself shaving and then discovered I didn't have any underwear or socks.

Just like a bad Monday, but 3 days late.
Old 10-15-09, 11:15 AM
EKW in DC

Bikes: Trek 830 Mountain Track Drop bar conversion

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by beingtxstate
Ah, no worries mate. I found my avatar the same way a year or so ago...it just goes to show, we have good taste!!
Good taste, indeed. I used to have the Washington Capitals logo as my avatar, but took it down cuz I wanted a change. Maybe I should change back... my team's in a semi-slump right now.

My commutes the last two days have been not so hot - literally and figuratively. Today was low 40s and drizzly into the wind. Yesterday afternoon mid-40s and rainy (and didn't have any rain gear - rain wasn't supposed to start until the evening). Throw on top of that the head and chest cold I'm dealing with, and... That said, I feel WAY better after my ride, so logic and conventional wisdom be damned. I may have a cold, and it may be 40 and rainy outside, but I'm riding anyway. So take that, moms of the world! I think of the cool damp air entering my lungs as the product of a gigantic humidifer.

Last commute for a while is this afternoon. Off for a week long vacay in Quebec. Looking forward to it!
Old 10-15-09, 11:20 AM
HardyWeinberg
GATC

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 464 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 27 Posts
caged again, morning routine flameout left no time... my wife managed to bike w/ both kids though.
Old 10-15-09, 11:45 AM
yoder
Mostly Harmless

Bikes: Custom commuter made from Civia Prospect frame, Raleigh Sports (1971), custom road bike from a steel 2003 Fuji Marseille frame, 29er SS MTB built up from a Vassago Jabberwocky frame, Surly Long Haul Trucker (customzed for fully loaded touring)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yesterday, I got all the way to work and then realized I didn't have my pannier on my bike. Left it at home. It had my computer in it and everything. That's a first.
Old 10-15-09, 01:14 PM
DallasSoxFan
Scan Me

Bikes: 2009 Trek 2.3, 2010 Specialized Secteur Sport

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thursday mornings I have a 6:30-8:00 mens bible study, then off to work. 4 miles to church then 8 miles to work (instead of my usual 4 miles to work). When I left at 6:00 AM, it was 76, humid and calm. I was in a polo shirt and shorts. Riding back I got smacked in the face by a 20MPH 60 degree cold front.
Old 10-15-09, 09:07 PM
cyclefreaksix

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
After a 14 hour shift that included a code blue and a new surprise admission, I got to mount my new road bike and haul ass home.

I felt amazingly strong. 60 degrees with a moderate wind out of the NNW. I was almost cool as I wore a sleeveless jersey in since it was 75 degrees and very muggy.

Had a nice sweat going in short time and made my best time and a new highest average speed. I wanted to keep riding, but wifey was expecting me no later than 9:30.
Old 10-15-09, 09:35 PM
tmf2

Bikes: Madone

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
cold, rainy, and a lot of dickheads out and about pissed off about the weather taking it out on me.
Old 10-16-09, 07:16 AM
mjw16

Bikes: IRO Model 19, Surly Crosscheck, 1989 Arnie Nashbar, Cannondale CAADX, Niner Air 9

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Cold, wet, dark.....these have been some dreary mornings. Temps were in the 40's this morning with a light rain and headwind. I can't believe I've already had to pull out the Winter jacket, but it's a perfect compliment to this weather as well as my desire to wear only one, short sleeved shirt. I stay fairly dry and warm, could have been worse. Also, as much as I hate them, I guess the fenders are on for good-looking forward to May when they come off again :-) . I guess the weekend's rain will tank my mountain biking plans, hopefully this will clear up by Monday.
Old 10-16-09, 07:24 AM
jpdesjar

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Windy and cold this morning, my legs were pretty tired when I arrived at the office.
I ran three miles with my wife yesterday at an easy pace which felt great. There is a chance of rain and snow later this afternoon which should be interesting.
I don't always like to write about the bad things that happened on my commute, but someone began to right hook me this morning and then she hesitated so I cut around the car on the left side to get by, geesh! Why don't people just wait a few seconds before they make their turn, some people's depth perception is just way off.

I am glad I have a beard, it comes in handy.

Old 10-16-09, 07:28 AM
beingtxstate
Disgruntled grad student

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mjw16
Cold, wet, dark.....these have been some dreary mornings. Temps were in the 40's this morning with a light rain and headwind. ...SNIP....
I couldn't have put it better. I leave the fenders on (I switch bikes for the weather). It looks like I'll be saying goodnight to my Trek 330 until Spring...sigh

On an up note, I installed bigger mudflaps ala Alex Wetmore's page. Already been through a couple of slogs, and I kept my feet drier than they might be otherwise. See, nice and Fred :
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
100_2674-small.jpg (67.8 KB, 7 views)
100_2673-small.jpg (52.9 KB, 8 views)
100_2675-small.jpg (87.5 KB, 12 views)
Old 10-16-09, 07:35 AM
ItsJustMe
Señior Member

Bikes: Windsor Fens, Giant Seek 0 (2014, Alfine 8 + discs)

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 446 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
We've had some temps down to the lower 20s lately (F), but it hasn't been below 35*F and raining at the same time yet. I've gotten pretty wet at 40*F a couple of days lately, but it doesn't really bother me. Beats driving anyway.
Old 10-16-09, 09:22 AM
vtjim
Belt drive!

Bikes: 2011 Trek Soho DLX

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It's cooling down. Was below freezing this morning, and there was frost even next to the lake. Unusual for this time of year.

The MUP passes a campground. The place is closed for the season now, but there was a stream of water flowing over the MUP itself, which was odd. I got a few yards past it, and thought, "Wait, did some jerk go in there and turn on a tap?" I turned around and went into the campground area.

Sure enough, a tap was cranked all the way open and gushing water. I turned it off. The ground was soaked. People are morons.
Old 10-16-09, 09:42 AM
HardyWeinberg
GATC

warm 50sF when I left, DOWNPOUR started w/ ~2 miles to go.
Old 10-16-09, 09:47 AM
corkscrew

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Decent ride this morning. 45 minutes mostly on a MUP watching fog come off the Boise river. Temp was about 40F, and I overdressed. Work shower took care of the sweaty mess I was when I go in.

Today was the first commute trial for my new to me Nishiki mountain bike. Things a tank with rack fenders, panniers and the 7ah SLA battery for my lighting system. Still managed up the hill just fine - heavy bikes just mean better training rides right?

That being said I love the homebrew lighting - 45 minutes took the battery down to 40%, its charging now @ my desk, guess I can live with that.
Old 10-16-09, 12:00 PM
kgriffioen
Go Leafs

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This whole week has been cool, upper 30's in the am and mid forties for the pm, cloudy and light rain. Pretty much miserable for this time of year, but on the flip side I think my body has acclimated to the cool/cold temps already.

Because of the cooler temps I have reverted back to my shorter distance route but with all the lights, stop signs and general crappy streets I think I am going to rethink that strategy. Shorter isn't always faster.
Old 10-16-09, 03:20 PM
eltejano

Bikes: jamis nova, felt brougham, gunnar fastlane

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I meant to post this last night- but on the way home from work SFPD blocked off Market St & 6th St in SF because of the Pres' motorcade.

In just a few mins there was a ton of foot traffic, bus traffic and bike traffic backed up, but everyone was cool. Once Obama rolled through everyone waved.

Once they let us through it was like being in a giant pack for a while. It was nice to just roll along and just stare at the hundreds of blinkies in front of me...

Last edited by eltejano; 10-16-09 at 03:21 PM. Reason: fixing pics
Old 10-16-09, 03:23 PM
vtjim
Belt drive!

Bikes: 2011 Trek Soho DLX

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Interesting ride home. Everything was normal until I got to the boardwalk on the MUP. It's elevated, with railings on each side of course.

And yet another tree down across it. #(@* beavers! Third one this week! 3 people were already there, trying to shove it off the boardwalk, so I joined in. We could only get it so far, so we started breaking branches off of it, but that left nice dangerous stakes on which people can impale themselves. So we started hanging things off of them so people don't get hurt.

The town has been notified.

TGIF!
Old 10-16-09, 03:34 PM
fletchh

Bikes: Trek 820 mtb, A no name red steel pipe bike, my commuter

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The last couple days have been wet. It was 32 F ( 0 C) coming home, and they are talking some
flurry stuff later. I have exhausted my inventory of chilly weather gear, everything is soaked and
I didn't want to break out my cold weather gear yet. It's a good thing it is the end of the week. I
have time to recover, although, I was not comfortable this morning as I had to ad lib gear, because
everything was still wet from yesterday. The constant cold rain is not easy, for which to plan long
term anyway.
Old 10-16-09, 03:57 PM
Ed Holland
8speed DinoSORAs

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Big mess this morning. I managed 1.5 miles from home before sustaining a vicious pinch flat. Stopped to change the tube, only to find my spare had a short valve stem and would not reach far enough through for the pump head. Popped open my patch kit to find the glue was dry. Fail Fail Fail

Rode 1.5 miles back up hill to home on the flat tire, swapped bikes and tried again. Finally made it to work 1/2 hour late. Of course I forgot to grab a fresh spare tube, and have my fingers crossed for the ride home...
Old 10-16-09, 05:40 PM
HardyWeinberg
GATC

Wet but not raining.

When it was time to go, I needed to bring my laptop home but I was 6 hrs into a loooooong simulation(hopefully it will be done in the morning, or at least by Monday) so I just turned the power saving off and stuffed it in the pannier for the 7 mile ride home. Very happy to find when I got home that it kept running!
Old 10-16-09, 07:31 PM
funrover 

Bikes: Mostly schwinn... few classics

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I guess I had forgotten how nice and peaceful MUPS can be later at night. A mix of that and backroads made yesterdays return home great! Now I just need a better light set up!

Last edited by funrover; 10-19-09 at 07:50 AM.
Old 10-17-09, 12:14 PM
jdmitch
Non-Spandex Commuter

Bikes: Trek Soho S

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Haven't commuted for a couple days, my company finally got hammered by the economy and I was one of the cuts... hopefully next job will be close enough to keep commuting by bike...
You don't need to dress up like a spandex super hero to ride your bike.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.