Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

How was the commute today?

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

How was the commute today?

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-06, 08:08 AM
DataJunkie

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
No commute today. Called in sick being that it is my birthday. Going to finish tiling my bathroom and hunt down several cds with the money my grandma gave me.

The commute home yesterday was shortened by 15 miles. I met my wife at REI to pick up my fenders. They are a tad difficult to carry while cycling
Also, spent my dividend and the gift cert my mother gave me. New cycling shorts and a jersey. Time to shop elsewhere since REI's selection is decreasing. Maybe velowear next.
Crud, went on a tangent again. Bad DJ!
Old 04-06-06, 08:22 AM
NM-NewRoadie
Mostly riding...mostly

Bikes: 1992 Trek 3 tube carbon 2200

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Did 28 miles yesterday, 20 in and 8 to the wifes work from mine. The ride in was great, but I got passed by a guy on a mountain bike. It was during the flat "pace yourself before the hills" section of my ride. I thought about running him down, but decided to let him have his glory. It was short lived as he turned off about a mile later.

The ride home was pretty wild, I ride west, and then north to my wifes work, I had a fullblown headwind for the west section, (wind was blowing towards the east and north...weather site says 26 mph with gusts as high as 38) but then I got a massive tail wind for the north section. It ended up taking me exactly the same amount of time it does when there is little or no wind.

Did 8 miles in this morning, feeling a little tired from yesterday, freakin wind wears me out. That and my wife woke up with a bad dream and I had trouble falling back asleep...
Old 04-06-06, 08:31 AM
pinkrobe
DNPAIMFB

Bikes: Titus El Guapo, Misfit diSSent, Cervelo Soloist Carbon, Wabi Lightning, et al.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Home sick today. Me no ride.
Old 04-06-06, 08:47 AM
brunop
hell's angels h/q e3st ny

Bikes: surly steamroller, independent fabrication titanium club racer, iro jamie roy--44/16, independent fabrication steel crown jewel--47/17, surly karate. monkey (rohloff speed hub), unicycle

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jyossarian
My averages for commuting on a fixie are down from my mtb! About 2-3 mph slower and 1-2 mins. longer to get to work, but oddly, I still get to work at the same time or a little earlier. I think it's the "never stop moving" I do on the fixie vs. "come to a complete stop" on the mtb. Oh well, I'll just have to get faster on the fixie!
jyossarian,
what size tires ya rockin'? get some 23's if ya don't have 'em already and roll easier. i can't imagine bein' slower than a mtb on the road! skinny tires dude!! roll on!!
Old 04-06-06, 09:37 AM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
I've been rained on every day for a week. I don't know how our PNW brethren deal with it.
Old 04-06-06, 12:22 PM
jyossarian
SERENITY NOW!!!

Bikes: Haro Vector, IRO Rob Roy, Bianchi Veloce

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by brunop
jyossarian,
what size tires ya rockin'? get some 23's if ya don't have 'em already and roll easier. i can't imagine bein' slower than a mtb on the road! skinny tires dude!! roll on!!
LOL. I'm running 28's, but I think it has more to do w/ never stopping on the fixie, even at stoplights where I just roll around slowly so the computer keeps count of all of that. On my mtb, the computer stops recording when the bike stops moving so it'll record a shorter ride time and higher avg. speed. Total trip length according to my watch is about the same or a minute faster on the fixie.

We demand rigidly defined areas of doubt and uncertainty!
Old 04-06-06, 01:33 PM
o-dog

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
slightly chilly this morning and in the 50's. today was my first commute of the week for various reasons and I was a little tired and somewhat slow but still made decent time in. a driver tried to change lanes and beat me to a light like 8 feet away but ended up having to get back behind me. due to a headwind on the way in I took the trail route. pretty relaxing ride in.

it warmed up to the high 60's in the afternoon so I was able to leave the wind jacket in my locker. got out early and did a short recreational ride before starting out home. the wind changed directions so I got the headwind on the way back too. it slowed me up a lot but I got a decent workout out of it at least. an SUV driver let me into the lane when I signalled instead of gunning it past me, she got a thank you wave for that one. slow but good ride back.
Old 04-06-06, 06:20 PM
jyossarian
SERENITY NOW!!!

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
The warm weather has made the cagers crazy too. I got cut off by one who couldn't be bothered to be stuck in traffic so from a standstill, he jumped in the bus lane as I sped up the lane causing me to swerve to avoid him. After I got home, I spent over an hour re-parking my car for tomorrow, then hit Central Park where I made the connection of bridle paths and cross bikes. Put the two together and you have instant fun! And not a whole lot of manure either!

Old 04-06-06, 09:28 PM
tomg

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
no commutes today (vac x) so upped miles to 17dst. 2 rants:
1) 18 wheeler (usually predictable drivers) passed me on a no pass zone and cut back in early due to "another driver cut me off". i confronted him at the stop, he stated to be "sorry" for the cut-off.
2) on the way back from local market to get milk/eggs/cheese (and 4lb oranges) i almost got side-hit by a driver (on the cell phone) who stated he "did not see me because of the sun glare" (B/S) at another stop lite!
both were about 1 mile from my house. the rest of the riding today was nice!
Old 04-06-06, 10:15 PM
scottmorrison99
New! With Self Loathing!

Bikes: 2013 Jamis Xenith T time trial bike, 2013 Jamis Xenith Elite

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ride both ways was great. Nice to be riding home before the sun sets now. Wife picked me up a pamphlet (DMV 909) at the DMV that states that:" When moving slower than the normal traffic speed, Stay near the right edge of the road, except:
a.When passing another bicycle or vehicle.
b. When getting ready to turn left.
c. When passing a parked car or to avoid other objects.
d. When on a one way road, two lanes or wider. Then bicyclists may ride either near the left or right side."

They want me to ride on the edge of the road? Can anyone tell me if this is the law in California, instead of the sensible "as far right as practible"? If this is the law, I'm going to keep breaking it. Riding on the right "edge" of the road would get me killed quick.

Weird Bike Guy Blog
Old 04-06-06, 10:22 PM
trackandtrials

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
best in a while - the train ride portion of my commute was cut short by some poor guy jumping in front of a train further up the track. Soo....instead of waiting for the track to clear, me and about 15 other guys jumped off the bike-car and made a hodgepodge commuter paceline on the road parallel to the tracks. As we passed major intersections, a few people would turn off and wave goodbye. I was like an hour late to work, long before my workmates who who ride the train, but don't ride bikes (and thus had to wait for the tracks to clear). Additionally, I showed up to work having had an hour-long ride on the first sunny day in weeks!
Old 04-06-06, 11:07 PM
tokolosh

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jyossarian
People throwing away perfectly good food up there?
glad someone thought that was worthy of a double-take. it's a tradition: buy new bike, fall off new bike. reason i ran into it? a sort of huhthatlookslikeagiraffe'skneecapbutsurelynotincanadawaitisthattendonsiseeyeahithinksoaaaarrrgghh!!! kind of trance. mornings ain't my best time of day.

so how bad is it to keep riding on a slightly warped wheel?

wednesday i couldn't ride because we got the expected 16 hours notice of first baseball practice way the hell out in god's armpit. kid took everything-a-ballplayer-needs (i hope) plus a map to school in his backpack, and i drove the car and went by after work to pick him up with gatorade. but today i rode; nothing was gonna stop me. rode to work, worked, rode home, fed cat, got in car, went and got kid. 16 is too old for moms to lurk around practices anyway.

oooooo, the new bike is nice! actually, it's hard to tell how much of it is the bike. nah, it's not hard. it's the bike. i'm really even more out of shape than i was at the end of the last contract, but still getting there was 5 minutes faster than my respectable morning times and 10+ faster than the best i ever remember on the way home. i can get this one up the horrible hill without even touching the smallest cog. suddenly the word 'spin' makes official sense.

new job has a bike cage with racks in the parking lot, and showers with lockers for-cyclists-only. so now i can go around saying i'm a frood who knows where his towel is, and be telling the truth. there was no aggravation at all about getting set up, except for the disconcertment from the team lead i asked about it. i must be hardcore i got the name of the guy who handles it and sent an email, and he came round with keys and blarney and navigational ideas within half an hour. AND trucking down the long hallway towards the coffee machine i stopped to admire someone's norco-bike poster on a cubicle wall (it's a reflex now: see bike, stop and drool) and discovered another bike-to-work freak who is also another GIRL. yowsers.

rode home today in the rush hour. that was sure fun. yesterday in my car i timed the same trip, or sections of it at least. in the car: 4 minutes minimum to get around the cloverleaf and onto the bridge. on the bike . . . well, it doesn't compare. and it's FUN to slide by those cars.

tomorrow i have to go downtown by 8:30 to talk to lawyers. i promise nothing, but i'm thinking that maybe i'll ride into town, then put the bike on the bus that goes to the bridge and carry on from that point. hmmm.

ps songs: sabu visits the twin cities alone, john prine; the homeless do not seem to drink in here, michael marra

Last edited by tokolosh; 04-06-06 at 11:42 PM.
Old 04-06-06, 11:31 PM
buzzman
----

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 4 Posts
good steady ride in with a touch of wind in my face but not as bad as earlier in the week.

Rode home late at night. The Charles River black as ink. The air still and quiet. Lots of rats running across the bikeway. Further west the rats turn into large gray rabbits and nesting pairs of Canadian geese- much more tolerable companions on a midnight ride home. I felt like Paul Revere.

It was a challenging week. I was glad for the bike rides to give it some perspective.
Old 04-07-06, 05:54 AM
mjw16

Bikes: IRO Model 19, Surly Crosscheck, 1989 Arnie Nashbar, Cannondale CAADX, Niner Air 9

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've been off the bike this entire week and am feeling pretty guilty about it. First, I called in "slick" on Monday (needed a mental health day) then, I decided that a few days off the bike would be good for all my little aches and pains, and thirdly, I'm in the middle of moving parts from one frame to another and don't want to: a) rush things, or b) ride my roadie or mountain bikes to work. I'm downsizing from a 60 cm Cross Check to a 58 cm. I was just a little too stretched out and decided to get a new, pearl green Cross Check which arrived sans fork (hopefully it'll be here today or tomorrow). So I've divided my commute between Metro and driving (only one day). Anyway, I think the break has been good although I'm really looking forward to my return to the bike next week.

Anyone interested in buying a used (in good shape) blood red Surly Cross Check in a 60 cm size (fork too)?
Old 04-07-06, 07:07 AM
FormerBMX'er

Bikes: 2011 Tsunami, 2004 Fuji Team Issue and More!!!

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by mjw16
I'm in the middle of moving parts from one frame to another
I'm doing the exact same thing for the exact same reason, I'm just about done. I just need to get a new front derailleur because the one from my Lemond is an odd 34.8mm .

Fair ride today, I over dressed by about 7 degrees. Bright sun, little traffic. I got a bit nervous as some cup cake in a Mazda MX6 pulled along my left side and threatened to take a right turn across my front wheel. I quickly glanced over my left shoulder to look him back to first base.
Old 04-07-06, 07:41 AM
jyossarian
SERENITY NOW!!!

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by tokolosh
so now i can go around saying i'm a frood who knows where his towel is, and be telling the truth.
Don't forget, people will buy you drinks cuz of that.

Rain showers threatening today, but it was 51F when I left so I put the jacket in the bag and rode wearing an HHCMF t-shirt. Last night's jaunt around CP meant this morning's commuting legs were still in bed. Made it to work in the usual time anyways and only had to dodge a couple right hookers.

Old 04-07-06, 08:44 AM
NM-NewRoadie
Mostly riding...mostly

Bikes: 1992 Trek 3 tube carbon 2200

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Great ride in today, I decided that riding my 20 mile route was making me slow. I noticed that my average speeds kept going down...so I'm going to REALLY push the 10 mile route all next week, and then move back to the 20 mile route. Hopefully this will allow some of the windiest weather to die down too.

Cool temps this morning, but getting warmer, I think I'm finally able to hang up the fleece for good, even went without my neck/face warmer today, and my warmest gloves stayed in my bag. Looking forward to trips in just a jersey and shorts both ways soon!

Drivers were pretty sane this morning, no one deliberatly tried to kill me, so that's always good.
Old 04-07-06, 08:49 AM
pinkrobe
DNPAIMFB

Bikes: Titus El Guapo, Misfit diSSent, Cervelo Soloist Carbon, Wabi Lightning, et al.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ha! Back on the bike today! I just slammed some pepto for breakfast and hit the road. My wife showed up with some Mexican food last night, and I was all over it. After I was done eating, she tells me, "I'm impressed that stuff kept as well as it did all the way from Salt Lake City". Hence the pepto.

The ride in was cool and quick, although two cars snuck by me in my own lane in the span of two blocks. Grrrr. Apparently, being in the middle of the lane just isn't good enough.
Old 04-07-06, 09:21 AM
DataJunkie

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Rainy and snowy.

20 miles into the commute I was drenched with a combo of snow and rain. My gear is now drying next to a space heater in a vacant cube.

Anyhow, I have this detour through a lovely industrial area. One street has two sets of train tracks crossing it at a 45 degree angle. I cross the tracks at 2mph or less, perpendicular to the track. So, I hit the wet track going even slower and my bike wiped about 45 degrees to my left. Somehow while clipped in I pulled up on the tilted side and righted my bike. Egads! That was scary.
Old 04-07-06, 09:28 AM
eastbaybob

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Another nice and clear morning, a bit cooler than yesterday. It took about 10 minutes to get to the office.

For the week I was an unimpressive 3 of 5 for bike commutes. April showers set me back more this week than any other this year. For the year I am now -5 for bicycle commutes, in that I have failed to commute by bike on 5 occasions.
Old 04-07-06, 10:04 AM
mtessmer
Bikeman

Bikes: Many

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I had a nice commute, I took the long way. It kind of sucks that I'm back to using lights in the morning since we changed our clocks. It's a little windy and cool, it was 41F/5C at six this morning, it's eleven AM and it's 37F/3C... hmmm, at least the sun is shining. I'm ready for some warmer weather.
Old 04-07-06, 10:37 AM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Stupid server ate my post. Anyway, nice and sunny and warmer today. Scottmorrison99, I think that DMV pamphlet is seriously misleading. "As close as practicable" is the law in California:

21202. (a) Any person operating a bicycle upon a roadway at a speed less
than the normal speed of traffic moving in the same direction at that time
shall ride as close as practicable to the right-hand curb or edge of the
roadway except under any of the following situations:
(1) When overtaking and passing another bicycle or vehicle proceeding in
the same direction.
(2) When preparing for a left turn at an intersection or into a private
road or driveway.
(3) When reasonably necessary to avoid conditions (including, but not
limited to, fixed or moving objects, vehicles, bicycles, pedestrians, animals,
surface hazards, or substandard width lanes) that make it unsafe to continue
along the right-hand curb or edge, subject to the provisions of Section 21656.
For purposes of this section, a "substandard width lane" is a lane that is
too narrow for a bicycle and a vehicle to travel safely side by side within
the lane.
(4) When approaching a place where a right turn is authorized.
(b) Any person operating a bicycle upon a roadway of a highway, which
highway carries traffic in one direction only and has two or more marked
traffic lanes, may ride as near the left-hand curb or edge of that roadway as
practicable.
(Amended by Stats. 1996, Ch. 674, Sec. 4. Effective January 1, 1997.)
Old 04-07-06, 11:00 AM
trackandtrials

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
morning commute was awesome - sunny and warm. Also, I just found out that we're getting a shower installed at my office! I'm stoked to be done with baby wipes.
Old 04-07-06, 03:54 PM
jyossarian
SERENITY NOW!!!

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
The ride home was a new personal best for bell usage. Lots of walkers, joggers, dogs and even a new cyclist practicing w/o training wheels. He'll have to learn to use his brakes instead of dragging his feet along the ground though.

Old 04-07-06, 06:21 PM
DavidLee
These go to 11.

Bikes: 06' Trek 7.5 FX, '09 Dawes Steel SST

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The ride in was 42 with light rain sporadicly. I just missed a downpour by 10 minutes after getting to work. The trip home was a nice 62 with calm winds and partly cloudy.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.