Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Rear Rack as Fender?

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Rear Rack as Fender?

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-11, 12:38 AM
commo_soulja

Bikes: are fun to ride

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 35 Times in 23 Posts
Originally Posted by Easy Peasy
I just saw in another thread that Planet Bike makes a fender called SpeedEZ that can be fitted onto bikes without eyelets. It appears they attach at the forks and seat stays with rubber straps. Who knew? I'm going to ask our LBS to see if they think they'll work on my MTB.
Yup, I've had a set of these for a couple years now. Hella usefull when you don't have multiple eyelets on your frame.

Originally Posted by JAHowe
I wish I had a pic of this, but in Coralville, IA, I spotted a Pugsley with a Rollof 14 hub sporting a chunk of driftwood jammed under the rack, acting as a fender. If you can rock it, anything goes.
Really? The guy is running a Rohlof hub on his bike and using a ghetto fender set-up?
Old 09-20-11, 04:19 AM
MichaelW

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by DVC45
While we are at this, can anyone recommend an idea how to put a full rear fender on mine?
That bikes should be able to take full, bolt-on fenders.
Does the seatstay bridge have a bolt hole?
The rear chainstay bride is very high. If you want to extend the fender below, you may have to make some kind of bracket to the seat-tube. You can use wood, plastic, metal, whatever you can work best.
Plastic fenders can be fixed with small zip-ties, you drill a hole, 4-5mm diam at least 1cm from the edge.

Racks with top-plates make poor fenders and not very good racks. Open top framework designs allow you to lash oversized objects to the top more easily.
I have a number of rack platform extenders, bits of wood or stuff that I fix to the framework to carry bulky items such as bags of cement. I use bits of wire to provide a temp attachment and its much easier with an open framework design.
Old 09-20-11, 05:44 PM
slcbob
bored of "Senior Member"

Bikes: Cross-Check/Nexus commuter. Several others for various forms of play.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 642 Post(s)
Liked 592 Times in 453 Posts
Originally Posted by DVC45
Will those work as fender mounts?
Something like that should do it for you.

You need that sort of thing +/- maybe a little piece of bent metal extension to create a nub from the your seat post just above the BB to let the bottom/front of the rear fender attach on, replacing what on most bikes is the little bridge between the chain stays.

You will probably need to reposition the brake bridge tab on the fender. Amazing how good a little pop rivet is for that.

The P clamps already mentioned will let you connect the fender stays to your chain stays down near the rear hub.

That gives you support front, middle-ish (a little too far forward, but OK) and rear-ish.

Good luck.
Old 09-20-11, 06:31 PM
DVC45

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 7 Posts
Thanks to all!

I can't wait to work on it this weekend. I'll probably start tomorrow.

Oh, sorry for the thread hi-jack. I really don't mean to.
Old 09-20-11, 06:47 PM
boatrider

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
In full rain gear? Nah. You may get a face spray, but the bigger issue for me is all of that non-breathing gear- I'd rather get a little wet in non- waterproof stuff, then sauna it up in all that.
Old 09-20-11, 07:53 PM
Easy Peasy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by commo_soulja
Yup, I've had a set of these for a couple years now. Hella usefull when you don't have multiple eyelets on your frame.

Do you do anything to bolster the attatchments of your fenders to your bike? For example, I heard that the front fender is attatched to the fork cross bar with a nylon tie. Did you add more zipties or use a bracket of some kind to make that point of attatchment more secure? Did you add zipties to reinforce the rubber brackets on your fork and seat stays?
Old 09-23-11, 07:57 PM
Easy Peasy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well, thanks to you folks I ordered a pair of SpeedEZ fenders for my MTB. Hoping the install goes well and will try to provide an update. Thanks again everybody.
Old 10-09-11, 09:03 AM
Easy Peasy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I finally got my full fenders! I think there's enough clearance in case I decide to get studs. Thanks everyone.

Last edited by Easy Peasy; 10-09-11 at 12:32 PM.
Old 10-09-11, 11:15 PM
hopperja

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 71 Times in 22 Posts
While a rear rack is not the ideal fender, I have found the rear fender to be an ideal support rack for my Nelson longflap.
Old 10-09-11, 11:45 PM
Ratchet
stupid after seven

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by commo_soulja

Really? The guy is running a Rohlof hub on his bike and using a ghetto fender set-up?
Perhaps he just wanted to be hardcore...
Old 10-10-11, 08:40 PM
JAHowe

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Easy Peasy,
Studs are great and a little goes a long way on paved roads. You only need the high stud count nobbies if you plan on being out with more than 1/2" snow on the ground. There should be no problem fitting studded tires under those fenders.

-John