Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Road Cycling Anime (Cartoons)

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Road Cycling Anime (Cartoons)

Old 03-16-17, 10:44 PM
smarkinson

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 332 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by aod43254 View Post
I just recently caught up to the show and noticed "Minami Kamakura High School Girls Cycling Club" actually seems to use the real brand names for all of the bikes they have featured so far (Pinarello, Liv, Cannondale, [giant and specialized can be seen tho I dunno if they were on bikes])

Personally I was actually partially inspired to buy a bike because of Yowamushi Pedal (that and the desire to lose weight), I've even considered in the future possibly purchasing a Hakone jersey when I get more experience. Oh and so far season 3's been pretty good for those that may not have caught it yet
Those companies have their names in the credits. Whether they've paid for the spot by subsidising the production costs or not who knows? I have marked their names on the attached screenshot using my rudimentary Japanese skills to translate the katakana. Notice how it is the Japanese branches of these companies.

Last edited by smarkinson; 03-16-17 at 10:48 PM.
Old 03-17-17, 09:32 AM
cbrstar
BMX Connoisseur

Bikes: 1988 Kuwahara Newport, 1983 Nishiki, 1984 Diamond Back Viper, 1991 Dyno Compe

Quoted: 255 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by aod43254 View Post
I just recently caught up to the show and noticed "Minami Kamakura High School Girls Cycling Club" actually seems to use the real brand names for all of the bikes they have featured so far (Pinarello, Liv, Cannondale, [giant and specialized can be seen tho I dunno if they were on bikes])

Personally I was actually partially inspired to buy a bike because of Yowamushi Pedal (that and the desire to lose weight), I've even considered in the future possibly purchasing a Hakone jersey when I get more experience. Oh and so far season 3's been pretty good for those that may not have caught it yet
That's awesome, I've been thinking of buying a Hakone jersey as well. In a weird way I hope Hakone actually wins this season lol.
Old 12-18-19, 09:41 AM
friday1970

Bikes: Optima Baron LR, '14 Nishiki Maricopa,'87 Trek 330 Elance, '89 Miyata 1400, '85 Peugeot PGN10, '04 Fuji Ace, '06 Giant Rincon, '95 Giant Allegre, '83 Trek 620, '86 Schwinn High Sierra

Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked 68 Times in 48 Posts
Old thread, but new to me. No real point to this post. Just my history and what I am watching today
In an attempt to get my half-Japanese daughters more connected to their Japanese heritage, I started taking them to Anime cons about 8 years or so ago. They were just into Pokemon and Zelda at the time. After the first few cons, they became huge into anime. Even though I went with them, I never cosplayed until my 12 year old daughter said "Dad, I'm embarrassed to be seen with you and want to go alone". Being 12, convention rules stated she needed to be with a parent. So, as a compromise, I'd cosplay something and not have my face seen. I went as the Witch King from LoTR. I had such a great time, I started to cosplay every year after that. Cosplaying was easy since I felt more unnoticeable in the crowd than just a parent walking around aimlessly.
Now at 49 years old, not much anime appeals to me. Cycling animes do.
After reading an article from American Randonneur, I checked out Long Riders!. For the most part, I loved it. I felt I was reliving my childhood of riding my first bike, fixing my first flat, riding my first pace line, my first long ride, slipping on grates, etc. The character development parts were a bit corny, but it was a decent anime. The episode "The City Starts to Move" even inspired me to ride an overnight night into the early morning, which I accomplished last year.
I just learned about Yowamushi Pedal and binge watched the first 4 episodes yesterday. Already addicted to it, and I'm even considering buying a kit online to wear at an anime con next year in Detroit. (Hiding my age will be harder in that one, maybe larger sunglasses?)
I'll have to check out "Minami Kamakura High School Girls Cycling Club" when I get the chance
Likes For friday1970:
Old 12-20-19, 04:30 PM
PsychoMike

Bikes: Main rides: Knolly Delirium T and Bowman Palace R

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I managed to get through the translated version of Yowamushi Pedal to the end of Interhigh, but didn't really get into the second school year. I do know you can find full kits for the 2-3 "major" schools (Sohoku and Hakone for sure....maybe Kyoto Fushimi) from the series out there. I'm built like Tadokoro (the big sprinter from Sohoku), so I could relate a bit