Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Tales of Woe From a Big Foot Cyclist

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Tales of Woe From a Big Foot Cyclist

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-20, 09:51 AM
bmcer

Bikes: Full campy Record EPS BMC Team Machine slr01, Canyon CF SL 8.0 Endurance

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked 107 Times in 66 Posts
Thanks for looking that up. I called Cycle Analysis yesterday. They have the CX238's I was thinking of, but not in my size. They are willing to order them for me, but that will probably lock me in to a purchase before I can try them on. I'm going to try the shop in Eugene today. If they have them, it'll be a bit of a road trip, about 2 hours of driving, to get there. I'm not fond of being stuck in my car for more than a hour, but it's be worth it to me to find a truly comfy pasir of riding shoes.

Originally Posted by MiPeGr
Based on info from Lake's website:

https://lakecycling.com/pages/store-locator

There is a place in Jacksonville, OR called Cycle Analysis. Looks like also a place in Eugene and one in Bend, depending on how loosely one describes "Southern Oregon".
Old 06-21-20, 08:13 AM
PoorInRichfield

Bikes: Trek Domane SL7 Disc, Cannondale F29

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 387 Post(s)
Liked 323 Times in 184 Posts
Originally Posted by bmcer
They are willing to order them for me, but that will probably lock me in to a purchase before I can try them on. I'm going to try the shop in Eugene today. If they have them, it'll be a bit of a road trip, about 2 hours of driving, to get there.
I'd highly recommend just ordering the shoes online and skip the LBS. Make sure you measure your feet according to Lake's sizing guide and if you're not sure, order more than one size shoe. Even if you pay return shipping, that'll probably cost less than the gas and your time for driving two hours to a shop that might not even have what you're looking for.
Old 06-21-20, 09:45 AM
bmcer

Originally Posted by PoorInRichfield
I'd highly recommend just ordering the shoes online and skip the LBS. Make sure you measure your feet according to Lake's sizing guide and if you're not sure, order more than one size shoe. Even if you pay return shipping, that'll probably cost less than the gas and your time for driving two hours to a shop that might not even have what you're looking for.
My problem is that my feet are different sizes. The foot with the bunion is wider than the unaffected foot by a quarter inch or more and is slightly longer because the other 4 toes get pushed laterally by the big toe. So I need to find a pair that are wide enough to accommodate the damaged foot while still being narrow enough that the other shoe can be cinched down well enough to properly support the normal foot. Measuring my feet against a sizing chart the assumes the feet are symmetrical isn't very enlightening. So if I'm going to cough up a respectable chunk of change, an in person, try them on is mandatory.

That said, I've talked more to the shop in Jacksonville, and yes they do require a deposit to order my size (46), but they're willing to make it refundable. So that sounds like my best bet.
Old 06-21-20, 09:50 AM
Leebo

Bikes: Kona Dawg, Surly 1x1, Karate Monkey, Rockhopper, Crosscheck , Burley Runabout,

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 854 Post(s)
Liked 111 Times in 66 Posts
Gone to flat pedals and Keen shoes. US size 16 feet. 14's? piffle.
Likes For Leebo:
Old 06-22-20, 05:05 AM
mprince
Dont fix whats not broken

Bikes: Steelman Stage Race, Dura-Ace 9s

Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked 166 Times in 93 Posts
So I can close the loop on my contribution to this thread. I returned my size 49 Sidi Genius 7's to Merlin in the UK this past week, and ordered a pair of Genius 10 from them in size 48 as replacement. Got the shoes in 2 days from the UK (I will happily pay for that level of service) and they arrived on Friday.

I helped my daughter move into her first house on Saturday, but was able to get out for a Father's day ride of about 30 miles yesterday. These shoes have just a bit more forefoot room than the traditional Sidi fit, and to me these are very similar to my 20 year old pair with the closures updated from Tecno 2/"Spider" to a dual Tecno 3 closure, and the sole updated to a carbon/nylon blend.

After several in-ride adjustments (my feet were a bit swollen after a day of moving furniture in 90° temps), I got these dialed in and very happy overall with the fit and performance. I think this brand/size give me my "Goldilocks" fit. I've learned, like the OP, that shoes are a lot like saddles, there are no absolutes and the process to get to Nirvana can involve a lot of trial and error.

Last edited by mprince; 06-22-20 at 01:10 PM.
Old 06-24-20, 06:15 PM
PoorInRichfield

Interesting graphic that summarizes what I've learned about feet and shoes over the past few years. I haven't tried "Correct Toes", but do wear wide shoes.

Old 06-29-20, 10:19 AM
bmcer

Thought I'd post an update. The shop down in Jacksonville called me Saturday to tell me the size 46 Lake CX238's that they ordered for me came in. Couldn't get free to drive down there until yesterday. Oh. My. God.!!! My messed up right foot slid easily into the shoe, and when I clinched up the BOA buckles, the shoe cradled my foot like a slipper. The left shoe was still narrow enough that it could be tightened into a very secure anf comfortable fit on my "normal" foot. I have never ever had a pair of cycling shoes fit me so comfortably right out of the box. Needless to say, those puppies came home with me. Still have to mount cleats on them, but the plan is to take them for a good long ride today. Meantime, thank y'all for your input. It's helped me find what seems to be the solution to keeping my odd-ball feet happy on the bike.
Likes For bmcer:
Old 06-29-20, 11:47 AM
PoorInRichfield

Meantime, thank y'all for your input. It's helped me find what seems to be the solution to keeping my odd-ball feet happy on the bike.
Yeah! At least this thread helped one Big Foot find a pair of shoes!
Old 06-29-20, 12:18 PM
expatbrit

Bikes: Ridley X-Fire (now an ex-bicycle), Trek X-Cal, Giant Defy 3

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by PoorInRichfield
Yeah! At least this thread helped one Big Foot find a pair of shoes!
Two!

I got a set of CX241s. They're awesomely wide and my feet fit. Dual closures are (as I thought) a necessity.

Now I need to find wide insoles, since I have high arches.
Likes For expatbrit:
Old 06-29-20, 12:26 PM
PoorInRichfield

Now I'm wondering if Lake has an affiliate program since I've been advocating for their shoes like a crazy man for quite a while

... and I love these...

Old 06-29-20, 12:35 PM
MiPeGr

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 4 Posts
Glad to hear of your success. Still waiting for my pair of CX218's I ordered in early April. *BUT*, my size 50 Bont's are on their way & should be here some time this week.

In the mean time, I've ruled out Sidi megas. I think they just add volume to the upper, and don't use a wider sole. Felt like I was spilling over the outside, and the "tread" on the bottom was quite narrow. Walking even 50 yards in them on anything but smooth pavement feels like it would be a risk for a turned ankle.
Old 06-30-20, 01:45 PM
bmcer

Got up early this AM and molded the heel cups of the new LAKES according to the instructions. Worked beautifully. The heals were just a tad wide, but a few minutes in the oven and a bit of pressure strategically applied and what was a really good fit became a perfect one. Only one thing left to do, so as soon as it warmed up a bit (and the shoes cooled off) I took them out for a ride. Nothing crazy. Just about 30 miles with enough climbing to get my left foot to complaining. And I did push it harder than usual. By the time I got home, close to 2 hours later, my feet felt like I'd just gotten out of bed. Seriously! No tingles, no numb spots and no hot spots. Love the camo, but all the LBS in Jacksonville had was black.

Now obviously something like shoes are highly personal so YMMV, but these Lake shoes fit me better than anything I've tried... ever!
Likes For bmcer:
Old 06-30-20, 02:02 PM
PoorInRichfield

Got up early this AM and molded the heel cups of the new LAKES according to the instructions. Worked beautifully.
Interesting... I thought only Bont was doing the "bake your shoes" thing. This must be a feature of only some models, but nice to know for sure as often times shoes made for big feet often have sloppy-big heals as well.
Old 06-30-20, 06:02 PM
noOriginalNames

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Question for the lake shoe owners. How does the length compare to other brands like Specialized and Shimano? I am really interested in the Lake 237/238 shoes but am unsure of size. I measured my feet as per the instructions on the Lake website and got a length of 288 or 289 mm and a width of about 102 mm. According to their chart, I should be a 45.5, but many shops online don't carry the half sizes and I would need to order a 46. I'm worried that a 46 is going to be too big as I don't think I have wide feet and shipping to and from Canada is going to pricey.

Any feedback on sizing is greatly appreciated!

Edit: my length of 288 - 289 mm is including the 5 mm added as per Lake's instructions, actual foot length is about 283 - 284 mm.

Last edited by noOriginalNames; 06-30-20 at 07:01 PM. Reason: Additional info added
Old 06-30-20, 06:15 PM
bmcer

I sat down and measured by feet for length. The bunged up right foot was 278 mm. The normal left foot is 288 mm. The cx238's I got are size 46. The good foot feels about spot on for length with a comforting bit of breathing room. On the right, the very tip of the shoe is about a finger width too long, But since that big toe is displaced towards the middle where the shoe tapers and supports the whole foot. I'm using the stock insoles. Just one man's experience. Hope it helps

Disclaimer: Beware advice from the deformed

Last edited by bmcer; 06-30-20 at 06:20 PM.
Likes For bmcer:
Old 07-01-20, 11:45 AM
bmcer

Here's what I mean by "deformed"
Old 07-01-20, 12:04 PM
noOriginalNames

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I sat down and measured by feet for length. The bunged up right foot was 278 mm. The normal left foot is 288 mm. The cx238's I got are size 46. The good foot feels about spot on for length with a comforting bit of breathing room. On the right, the very tip of the shoe is about a finger width too long, But since that big toe is displaced towards the middle where the shoe tapers and supports the whole foot. I'm using the stock insoles. Just one man's experience. Hope it helps

Disclaimer: Beware advice from the deformed
Thanks, it sounds like your good foot is a little longer then mine... 45.5 might be the right size, but the 46s are on sale, the 45.5s are going to cost me $500... Maybe I could fill up a little volume with some aftermarket insoles to help with some arch support.

Any other experiences with Lake shoe sizing are welcome!
Old 07-01-20, 12:07 PM
bmcer

They are "prettier" with the shoes on Note: The arrow in the middle points to the bunion "bulge" and the other one shows roughly where the displaced big toe ends up
Old 07-01-20, 12:14 PM
bmcer

BTW, "BikeTiresDirect" appears to have half sizes available
Old 07-01-20, 04:11 PM
August West

Bikes: Domane SLR7 Project One

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked 173 Times in 105 Posts
I'm a 12D and have a pair of Specialized Torch 2.0 in 46.5 and find them be quite comfortable. They are large enough not to pinch my feet anywhere but tight enough to not allow for any excessive movement. I liked them so much I picked up a pair of Torch 3.0 in white for when the 2.0's wear out. They fit the same as the 2.0's but with dual Boas on each shoe. I didn't notice any pressure from the extra Boa when I tried them on so hoping they end up being as comfortable and the 2.0's.
Old 07-01-20, 07:54 PM
PoorInRichfield

Originally Posted by August West
I'm a 12D and have a pair of Specialized Torch 2.0 in 46.5 and find them be quite comfortable. They are large enough not to pinch my feet anywhere but tight enough to not allow for any excessive movement. I liked them so much I picked up a pair of Torch 3.0 in white for when the 2.0's wear out. They fit the same as the 2.0's but with dual Boas on each shoe. I didn't notice any pressure from the extra Boa when I tried them on so hoping they end up being as comfortable and the 2.0's.
FYI... The Torch 2.0 comes in "wide" but the Torch 3.0 does not. I think the Torch 2.0 is a really good value shoe... if a $150 shoe is a "value".
Old 07-06-20, 09:07 PM
tonedeaf
N00B!

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Had a bit of luck with some insoles.
Finally took delivery on an adventure bike, and went for my first off road ride since I was a kid. Broke out the Shimano MTB shoes (previously used only for spin class!) These pinch a bit at the forefoot, even though they're sized up. With 3 velcro straps I have enough adjustment to minimize it. The problem with these though is getting them wide enough for the forefeet means they're loose at the heel from being a bit too long.

Enter Superfeet. I'm more of a runner than a cyclist, and have a collection of insoles from running. I tried the orange (highest volume) in the Shimanos, and lo and behold, my feet stayed put. Still can't post a link because of low post count but they're on amazon and loads of other retailers.

Would LOVE to try out a pair of Lakes. Been on my short list for a while.
Old 07-26-20, 06:58 PM
noOriginalNames

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Update on my ordeal. Ordered the Lake MX238s in 45.5 and 46. Ended up keeping the 46s. Cost me a fortune but holy crap these shoes are incredible! I put them on, tighten them down, start pedaling, and they just disappear. Anyone looking for shoes I think owes it to themselves and their feet to try a pair of Lakes on if at all possible.
Likes For noOriginalNames:
Old 08-03-20, 07:40 AM
tonedeaf
N00B!

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by noOriginalNames
Update on my ordeal. Ordered the Lake MX238s in 45.5 and 46. Ended up keeping the 46s. Cost me a fortune but holy crap these shoes are incredible! I put them on, tighten them down, start pedaling, and they just disappear. Anyone looking for shoes I think owes it to themselves and their feet to try a pair of Lakes on if at all possible.
That's fantastic news!
Old 08-11-20, 09:12 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10947 Post(s)
Liked 7,474 Times in 4,181 Posts
Cross posted from a thread in the gravel forum since it applies here too. I have size 50 Garneau Granite shoes and just tried some size 50 Shimano rx8 shoes. I wear a size 14 shoe.

The rx8 is super nice. Well made, light, etc. It better be for the $. A size 50 is also Sideshow Bob like comically long.

Here is an rx8 50 compared to a 50 in my Garneau Granite.
the heel cup of the rx8 is narrow and deeper than my Garneau shoe.
Inexplicably, my toes are about the same point from the front of each shoe. I did the test with both the left and right of each shoe so its not like my feet are different sizes.

The Garneau Granite in 50 weighs 425g and the rx8 weighs 365g.

I like the way they rx8 shoe envelops my foot, but its a pain putting them on compared to a traditional open top shoe. It actually takes more time and some wiggling to get my foot in. I'm sure thats a design feature for stability or whatever, but I dont want it.

They are great, probably not for me though. ill save $100 and just buy another pair of what i already have.
Likes For mstateglfr:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.