Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

GP5000 users: does it really make that big of a difference?

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

GP5000 users: does it really make that big of a difference?

Old 07-09-20, 11:14 AM
  #101  
WhyFi
Senior Member
 
WhyFi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: TC, MN
Posts: 30,623

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 337 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13574 Post(s)
Liked 2,839 Times in 1,524 Posts
Originally Posted by aclinjury View Post
(I edited my post after you have replied)

But.. you're wrong buddy. Do you see any real world substantiated claim in here? None whatsoever. Rchung is the closest person to actually post something that could be used for analysis, but his data is not real world, is it?

I guess doing rigorous science to back up bold claims is not something most folks understand huh? Except for Rchung, the bro-science is strong in here.
Got it - so you're moving goalposts wherein subjective, real world observation need to be quantified but stuff quantified in a lab setting don't count. ******g excelling work, man.
WhyFi is online now  
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 07-09-20, 11:14 AM
  #102  
aclinjury
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 471
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 358 Post(s)
Liked 101 Times in 76 Posts
Originally Posted by rubiksoval View Post
Your questions have been answered, your incorrect assertions refuted, your lack of knowledge and skills pointed out, yet still you reside.

Your resistance is epic, perhaps why you eschew acknowledging it in tires so much?
i'm replying to say i'm done with you! It's obvious to me you don't understand science rigor, even though you pretend to talk science. Comical. Out!
aclinjury is offline  
Old 07-09-20, 11:17 AM
  #103  
WhyFi
Senior Member
 
WhyFi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: TC, MN
Posts: 30,623

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 337 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13574 Post(s)
Liked 2,839 Times in 1,524 Posts
Originally Posted by aclinjury View Post
Out!
Don't tease us.
WhyFi is online now  
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 07-09-20, 11:17 AM
  #104  
aclinjury
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 471
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 358 Post(s)
Liked 101 Times in 76 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi View Post
Got it - so you're moving goalposts wherein subjective, real world observation need to be quantified but stuff quantified in a lab setting don't count. ******g excelling work, man.
So no real world evidence from you, either? Got it man, it's ok, I don't expect most folks to understand real science. Hey let's stick to broscience, okay!
aclinjury is offline  
Old 07-09-20, 11:24 AM
  #105  
WhyFi
Senior Member
 
WhyFi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: TC, MN
Posts: 30,623

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 337 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13574 Post(s)
Liked 2,839 Times in 1,524 Posts
Originally Posted by aclinjury View Post
So no real world evidence from you, either? Got it man, it's ok, I don't expect most folks to understand real science. Hey let's stick to broscience, okay!
Let's look at the the OP for context...

Originally Posted by CeeDotA View Post
I'm not opposed to paying for quality, but I wonder if the difference between say, the UltraSport IIs that I'm riding on currently compared to GP5000s is big enough? Is it something I'll really notice? I've put thousands of miles on USIIs and they've performed reliably. GP5000 users: what makes them worth the extra $15 or so per tire
Funny. I'm not seeing any requests for observation if and only if it's backed by robust data.
WhyFi is online now  
Old 07-09-20, 11:59 AM
  #106  
guadzilla
Pointy Helmet Tribe
 
guadzilla's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Offthebackistan
Posts: 4,174

Bikes: Venge, R5, Shiv, Lynskey and a few more

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 421 Post(s)
Liked 510 Times in 237 Posts
Originally Posted by aclinjury View Post
matter of fact I have the 25mm gp5k on a Zipp 30 (21mm inner diameter). It measures out to just over 25mm when pumped to about 80 psi. The GP5ks run smaller than their GP4ks for sure. I use it as my rear tire for wear. Front tire is Veloflex.

And btw, I just got the new Veloflex Corse tires (just relreased recently). It's nice. Feels almost as soft as their older ones (which you may have?). The newer ones use a slightly thicker bead (for safety with carbon rims), so it's a tad thicker and heavier. But still more supple compared to the GP5k, a lot more.
Thanks! I am sticking to 24mm Turbo Cottons on my CLX64s, but was thinking of putting GP5ks on the CL50s, which are my daily riding wheels. They are 30mm OD, so i am hoping the 28mms will fit them well enough.

That said, they arent my favorite tires either, and you now have my interest with this talk of the new Corsas. Are these the new tubeless versions that were announced recently? I gave my last pair of Corsas to my wife a couple of months ago - I have a pair of Wolfpack tires that are next in queue, but if the new tubeless Corsas have the same ride feel as the older ones, may jump on a pair as well.
guadzilla is online now  
Old 07-09-20, 12:12 PM
  #107  
genejockey
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?
 
genejockey's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: SF Bay Area
Posts: 2,179

Bikes: Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 581 Post(s)
Liked 712 Times in 378 Posts
Originally Posted by aclinjury View Post
So no real world evidence from you, either? Got it man, it's ok, I don't expect most folks to understand real science. Hey let's stick to broscience, okay!
The only real science that ANYONE has presented here has to do with rolling resistance. Everything else, including everything you've posted, is either subjective, or so loaded with uncontrolled variables as to be impossible to analyze. And yes, I do understand "real science" because it's what I've done for a living - and a pretty good one - for the last 4 decades.
genejockey is offline  
Likes For genejockey:
Old 07-09-20, 12:16 PM
  #108  
base2 
Random Internet Person.
 
base2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Pacific Northwest
Posts: 1,348

Bikes: 5 good ones, and the occasional project.

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 691 Post(s)
Liked 267 Times in 164 Posts
I, for one, have found this thread particularly entertaining.
Thanks Bike Forums!

motivated_reasoning_olympics_2x by Richard Mozzarella, on Flickr

Last edited by base2; 07-09-20 at 12:38 PM.
base2 is offline  
Likes For base2:
Old 07-09-20, 12:31 PM
  #109  
rubiksoval
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Music City, USA
Posts: 3,673

Bikes: Felt AR

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2135 Post(s)
Liked 766 Times in 388 Posts
Originally Posted by aclinjury View Post
i'm replying to say i'm done with you! It's obvious to me you don't understand science rigor, even though you pretend to talk science. Comical. Out!
There it is.

rubiksoval is offline  
Old 07-09-20, 01:24 PM
  #110  
August West
Senior Member
 
August West's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 391

Bikes: Domane SLR7 Project One. Fuel EX 8 XT.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 80 Posts
Originally Posted by guadzilla View Post
Actually, if i can go slightly OT - anyone here running GP5ks on a 21mm inner diameter rim - if so, can you share whether you are using as 25 or 28, and what the meaured actual width of the tire is?

TIA!
I run GP5000 32c on 21.5mm wheels they ended up at about 32.75mm after they stretched out. So, much closer to stated width than the GP4000s II where a 28c on the same wheels ended up at almost 32mm.
August West is offline  
Likes For August West:
Old 07-09-20, 05:13 PM
  #111  
ZHVelo
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2020
Location: Zurich, Switzerland
Posts: 417
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 253 Post(s)
Liked 123 Times in 84 Posts
Originally Posted by aclinjury View Post
i'm replying to say i'm done with you! It's obvious to me you don't understand science rigor, even though you pretend to talk science. Comical. Out!
Do you mean scientific rigor?
ZHVelo is offline  
Old 07-09-20, 05:37 PM
  #112  
JS41989
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2020
Location: Claremont, CA
Posts: 61

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac SL5 Comp Disc

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 13 Times in 11 Posts
This is still going?
JS41989 is offline  
Old 07-09-20, 06:17 PM
  #113  
aclinjury
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 471
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 358 Post(s)
Liked 101 Times in 76 Posts
Originally Posted by guadzilla View Post
Thanks! I am sticking to 24mm Turbo Cottons on my CLX64s, but was thinking of putting GP5ks on the CL50s, which are my daily riding wheels. They are 30mm OD, so i am hoping the 28mms will fit them well enough.

That said, they arent my favorite tires either, and you now have my interest with this talk of the new Corsas. Are these the new tubeless versions that were announced recently? I gave my last pair of Corsas to my wife a couple of months ago - I have a pair of Wolfpack tires that are next in queue, but if the new tubeless Corsas have the same ride feel as the older ones, may jump on a pair as well.
Veloflex new Corsa come regular clincher and tubeless clincher. I just got the regular clincher ones. But my buddy got the tubeless version. I haven't time to try out neither version yet so I can't really say much about how they ride. But but what I can say for fact is that based on weight and "feeling in my hands", the regular clincher is lighter (by ~30g) and more supple than their tubeless version, and this is to be expected. But if you think about it, their tubeless version being 30g lighter is actually very impressive, my only question is how will they wear for a tubeless tire (because generally, if I were to go tubeless, I wouldn't want it to be tooooo light due to fasting wearing AND possibly not sealing as well).
aclinjury is offline  
Old 07-09-20, 06:25 PM
  #114  
aclinjury
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 471
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 358 Post(s)
Liked 101 Times in 76 Posts
ok boys, i'm done arguing back and forth. I think i've stated my point clear by now.

This is for the OP (if he's still reading this thread!).

OP, by now you've heard "less rolling resistance = free speed". Well, no it's not free speed. What you're looking at is paying for more then DOUBLE the price for a set of tires, for 1 second of speed in a kilo based on a controlled test. Real world just riding around, hard to say if you'll get that 1 second or if at all.
But the price you pay is a real one, guaranteed to happen. Ultimately, less rolling resistance, in this case, is not free. There's a $$$ cost.

Free speed only is free if you pay for another set of tires at the same price and get to go faster. That's when it's truely free speed.
aclinjury is offline  
Old 07-09-20, 06:52 PM
  #115  
WhyFi
Senior Member
 
WhyFi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: TC, MN
Posts: 30,623

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 337 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13574 Post(s)
Liked 2,839 Times in 1,524 Posts
Are you sure that it wasn't a glute injury? 'Cause you don't seem to know your ass from your knee.
WhyFi is online now  
Old 07-09-20, 07:12 PM
  #116  
Bah Humbug
runner
 
Bah Humbug's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Austin
Posts: 16,366

Bikes: S1, R2, P2

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6010 Post(s)
Liked 1,650 Times in 880 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi View Post
Are you sure that it wasn't a glute injury? 'Cause you don't seem to know your ass from your knee.
I thought you meant because he was butt-hurt.
Bah Humbug is offline  
Old 07-09-20, 10:26 PM
  #117  
guadzilla
Pointy Helmet Tribe
 
guadzilla's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Offthebackistan
Posts: 4,174

Bikes: Venge, R5, Shiv, Lynskey and a few more

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 421 Post(s)
Liked 510 Times in 237 Posts
Originally Posted by aclinjury View Post
Veloflex new Corsa come regular clincher and tubeless clincher. I just got the regular clincher ones. But my buddy got the tubeless version. I haven't time to try out neither version yet so I can't really say much about how they ride. But but what I can say for fact is that based on weight and "feeling in my hands", the regular clincher is lighter (by ~30g) and more supple than their tubeless version, and this is to be expected. But if you think about it, their tubeless version being 30g lighter is actually very impressive, my only question is how will they wear for a tubeless tire (because generally, if I were to go tubeless, I wouldn't want it to be tooooo light due to fasting wearing AND possibly not sealing as well).
For me, my thought process is the opposite - if i can run a lighter tire (like the Veloflex Corsa or most specifically, the Vittoria Corsa Speeds) tubeless and get better sealing in the event of small flats, that would be fantastic. I'd love to be able to use Corsa Speeds as my race tires.

The good thing is that the Veloflex tires are available at a pretty neat discount, so it's relatively low risk to pick up a pair and try out. Will order one as soon as i wear through the current tires on my Venge.
guadzilla is online now  
Old 07-10-20, 09:19 AM
  #118  
aclinjury
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 471
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 358 Post(s)
Liked 101 Times in 76 Posts
Originally Posted by guadzilla View Post
For me, my thought process is the opposite - if i can run a lighter tire (like the Veloflex Corsa or most specifically, the Vittoria Corsa Speeds) tubeless and get better sealing in the event of small flats, that would be fantastic. I'd love to be able to use Corsa Speeds as my race tires.

The good thing is that the Veloflex tires are available at a pretty neat discount, so it's relatively low risk to pick up a pair and try out. Will order one as soon as i wear through the current tires on my Venge.
couple of pics,
New veloflex on the right, old one on the right. Both 25mm.
New one, 212g. Old 207g. These are regular clincher. The new tubeless clincher is 21g heavier than the new clincher (not 30g like I said earlier).
The inner side look and feel very much the same,
Here are some obsrvations. The new one is a tad thicker in the middle, where the meat of tire is (probably good for wear). The bead of the new one is slighter tougher (Veloflex said for compatiblity of all carbon rims, no exception like Enve). The tubeless version just feels a tad thicker and heavier.
Veloflex claims that the new clincher has a lower rolling reistance, right. If you just compare the tread pattern alone, you (well, I) notice that the new thread pattern is not as aggressive as the old one (you can feel this by running your fingers up and down the thread), makes me wonder if rolling resistance is mainly due to changing tread pattern, but hopefully this won't compromise the new one's handling? we'll see

aclinjury is offline  
Likes For aclinjury:
Old 07-10-20, 11:40 AM
  #119  
guadzilla
Pointy Helmet Tribe
 
guadzilla's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Offthebackistan
Posts: 4,174

Bikes: Venge, R5, Shiv, Lynskey and a few more

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 421 Post(s)
Liked 510 Times in 237 Posts
Damn, now i am seriously jonesing for a pair to run tubeless.... thanks for the detailed photos!
guadzilla is online now  
Old 07-10-20, 11:46 AM
  #120  
guadzilla
Pointy Helmet Tribe
 
guadzilla's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Offthebackistan
Posts: 4,174

Bikes: Venge, R5, Shiv, Lynskey and a few more

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 421 Post(s)
Liked 510 Times in 237 Posts
On a different note, since we are talking CRR, here is an interesting article:
https://blog.silca.cc/part-4b-rollin...-and-impedance

It shows the difference between the theory of drum tests vs actual riding on the road (where what they call "impedance" also starts to play a role). There are a couple of interesting take-aways that I see here:
1) It is better to err on the side of tire pressure being a bit too low vs a bit too high
2) Tires with more supple casings tend to have lower CRR and also more forgiving of over/under pressure

Does that level the playing field in the rear world, for tires like Turbo Cottons, which test 2-3W slower than GP5ks in the drum test but have a much more supple casing?
guadzilla is online now  
Old 07-10-20, 05:04 PM
  #121  
RChung
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 1,620
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 380 Post(s)
Liked 219 Times in 90 Posts
Originally Posted by znomit View Post
If he had ridden his bike more instead of spending countless hours researching marginal gains maybe he would have been 0.05 sec/km faster?
You can do both, you know. That's allowed.
RChung is offline  
Likes For RChung:
Old 07-10-20, 05:18 PM
  #122  
RChung
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 1,620
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 380 Post(s)
Liked 219 Times in 90 Posts
Originally Posted by guadzilla View Post
Does that level the playing field in the rear world, for tires like Turbo Cottons, which test 2-3W slower than GP5ks in the drum test but have a much more supple casing?
Almost always, the rank ordering of tires on rollers is the same as on the road. Sometimes two tires will swap ranking, but usually that's when the tires are pretty close to begin with. An exception can occur when the impedance break point on one tire comes a little earlier than the other. If you're in the neighborhood of that threshold, you can also observe a ranking swap.

Almost always, if you see a discussion of impedance breakpoint they're talking about real world field testing on roads as opposed to on a roller.
RChung is offline  
Likes For RChung:
Old 07-10-20, 11:44 PM
  #123  
guadzilla
Pointy Helmet Tribe
 
guadzilla's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Offthebackistan
Posts: 4,174

Bikes: Venge, R5, Shiv, Lynskey and a few more

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 421 Post(s)
Liked 510 Times in 237 Posts
Originally Posted by RChung View Post
Almost always, the rank ordering of tires on rollers is the same as on the road. Sometimes two tires will swap ranking, but usually that's when the tires are pretty close to begin with. An exception can occur when the impedance break point on one tire comes a little earlier than the other. If you're in the neighborhood of that threshold, you can also observe a ranking swap.
Thanks for that - yeah, that does makes logical sense. Is there a very *approximate* ballpark range in terms of closeness where the rankings can change, in your experience? I wouldnt expect a tire to make up a 7-8W gap, but are we talking fractions of a watt,1-2 watts or some other number? To be clear - i realize this is not going to be a scientific calculation, just a guesstimate borne of experience.
guadzilla is online now  
Old 07-11-20, 06:58 AM
  #124  
upthywazzoo 
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Chicago
Posts: 529

Bikes: 1984 Trek 770

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 32 Posts
Originally Posted by guadzilla View Post
On a different note, since we are talking CRR, here is an interesting article:
https://blog.silca.cc/part-4b-rollin...-and-impedance

It shows the difference between the theory of drum tests vs actual riding on the road (where what they call "impedance" also starts to play a role). There are a couple of interesting take-aways that I see here:
1) It is better to err on the side of tire pressure being a bit too low vs a bit too high
2) Tires with more supple casings tend to have lower CRR and also more forgiving of over/under pressure

Does that level the playing field in the rear world, for tires like Turbo Cottons, which test 2-3W slower than GP5ks in the drum test but have a much more supple casing?
Wouldn't this be dependent on the road surface and sprung weight? As shown in the article linked, rolling resistance/friction increases with surface roughness. If friction is a function of the area of the contact patch, as well as the per-watt flex of the sidewalls, then on a perfectly flat surface, the best tire would be completely stiff. As surface roughness increases, the tire would be spending less and less time in contact with the ground, due to bouncing, leading to a pedaling inefficiency.

For a straight line path then, the ideal (efficiency-wise) tire would then be a combination of the minimum surface area for "good" traction with the minimum amount of deformation necessary to maintain that surface area.

It's conceivable then to me, that the Turbo Cotton tires would outperform the GP5k in certain surface roughness conditions.
upthywazzoo is offline  
Likes For upthywazzoo:
Old 07-11-20, 07:48 AM
  #125  
RChung
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 1,620
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 380 Post(s)
Liked 219 Times in 90 Posts
Originally Posted by guadzilla View Post
Thanks for that - yeah, that does makes logical sense. Is there a very *approximate* ballpark range in terms of closeness where the rankings can change, in your experience? I wouldnt expect a tire to make up a 7-8W gap, but are we talking fractions of a watt,1-2 watts or some other number? To be clear - i realize this is not going to be a scientific calculation, just a guesstimate borne of experience.
That depends on how careful you're being in testing. If you're being really careful, you can reliably discern a difference in Crr *on the road* of maybe around 5% or maybe a bit less (I prefer to work in Crr rather that watts since watts depends on your speed and total weight). So if you're measuring a tire that has a Crr on the road of around .004, that means you can reliably discern a difference of around .0002, or a bit less.

So, one thing we noticed in addition to the rankings not changing much between roller and road testing: Real roads tend to be a little less perfect than even the kind of diamond plate Jarno uses for his big drum, plus when you pedal you're moving around and leaning the tire this way and that. So Crr measured in field tests tends to be maybe 1.5x higher in absolute terms than what Jarno measures on his drum. That is, the relative rankings and the relative differentials tend to be very close between rollers and road, but the absolute raw Crr values vary by maybe 1.5 (and this will depend on the condition of the pavement).

Here's the practical bottom line: if I absolutely positively need to know--like when I'm working with someone making a record attempt--I'll test CdA and Crr on the surface being raced on. However, for most purposes, I just use the roller tests, multiply by maybe 1.5, and use that. That usually gets me close (but, of course, I check).
RChung is offline  
Likes For RChung:

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.